2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Brands You Won't Play

pierso2

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play a bunch of brands. I used to think I'd never consider Tour Edge "Bazooka" clubs, because they were kind of a bargain club targeted at higher handicaps. Yesterday I got beat by a guy who shot even par using three Bazooka hybrids that were about 20 years old. He's a solid 3 handicap. I might have to give Bazooka another look, and try them out. Prejudice and bias get you in trouble all the time.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

It's not a hard "won't", but I had a warranty CS issue with TM a year or so ago that took several weeks and tracking down one of their local reps on LinkedIn to get settled... oddly enough, the issue was with an Adams club (which I'd play all day long, especially because they have no resale and are a steal on the used market) but it was TM CS handling it and they handled it quite poorly.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

I don't hit TM well, woods or hybrids. So I avoid them. I tune out PXG because of the ads mostly, and the look of the clubs doesn't appeal to me. Have never tried Titleist, probably because I think of them as a ball company and I get tired of all their ball ads. I used to avoid Callaway because I was tired of all the Big Bertha ads. But I see fewer Callaway ads now. So I guess the theme is I respond negatively to TV advertising. Otherwise willing to consider any club I can hit well with some consistency.

Ping does try really hard to make their clubs look different, thatʻs part of the reason theyʻre popular, besides performance.

I have never considered using anything made by Mizuno or Nike over the years, Nike because their Nike and Mizuno because one of my old baseball coaches was always giving me grief because i gamed Rawlings gloves instead.

Now i really like the looks of the Nike Vapor Fly line but canʻt do the swoosh.

Last thing.... if an extra few thousand $$$ landed in my lap iʻd definately check out the PXG lineup and i bet half the guys on here clowning them would too. j m o

I've got a Rawlings Gold Glove "Heart of the Hide" series infielder's glove that's close to 25 years old and still in great shape.

Ping - I think aesthetically they're the worst looking clubs (irons and woods) and I've always held that opinion. I just can't get past the looks (never have been able to). I once read someone describe their irons as seemingly being made from spare military humvee parts and it made me chuckle.

Right? I hear all sorts of this nostalgic love for the Eye-2 and every time I see one of those god-awful eyesores, I throw up in my mouth a little bit. The offset alone gives me a cluster headache.

I fail to understand what's so bad about Titleist? I give them top marks because they stick with what good players look for: no offset and thin toplines. This is not to say all their clubs have no offset because they do make clubs for high-handicappers. I am talking here about their premium sticks.

Titelist DCI 962

1991-97 Titleist Tour Model

Titleist 681

Titleist 690 MB and CB

Titleist DCI 762

Any AP2 model

Any DCI-B model

Their woods I also praise for traditional shape and zero face angle, most notably 983K, 905R and a few others.

How can you not like these clubs? Do you really need the bells and whistles?

$35 hats

$400 putters

$150 cast wedges

$50 golf balls

$1200 iron sets where they'll gouge you for shaft upgrades

$500 drivers with less tech/performance than the competitors

It's the golf ball and their lawsuits that irk me the most. They go after small companies with frivolous lawsuits because they know they don't have the resources to fight them, all so they can keep their market share and a $48 price tag on the ProV. I don't like Titleist because they aren't a friend of the consumer.

I gotta tell ya, some of the reasons for not playing certain brands are truly classic.

"Don't like the other guys playing that brand's stuff", "Hate it for some reason (don't know why)", "Don't like brands that are suing other brands (or is that being sued by other brands ?)".

And that's on just this one page,,,,,,,, :D

You do realize that the costs of those lawsuits get passed to us consumers, right? When Titleist sues SmallCompany A over their $20 per dozen kick-Word not allowed golf ball and said company folds because they can't afford the legal bills whether Titleist has a case or not, the consumers (we) lose, too.

I gotta tell ya, some of the reasons for not playing certain brands are truly classic.

"Don't like the other guys playing that brand's stuff", "Hate it for some reason (don't know why)", "Don't like brands that are suing other brands (or is that being sued by other brands ?)".

And that's on just this one page,,,,,,,, :D

You do realize that the costs of those lawsuits get passed to us consumers, right? When Titleist sues SmallCompany A over their $20 per dozen kick-Word not allowed golf ball and said company folds because they can't afford the legal bills whether Titleist has a case or not, the consumers (we) lose, too.

Well, the water company raises out rates so the golf course has to raise theirs. Same thing with the electric company. Course gets sued by a golfer for no valid reason. We should hate all of them too, right ?

The gubmint sues/oversees/regulates major corporations all the time and that gets passed onto us consumers as well.

So what do we do about that ?

Oh, right, I see your point now. We hate the gubmint, the electric company, the water company,,,,,,,, and that litigious golfer, too,,,,,,,,,,,,, :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I don't play anything else then Ping.

I'll never touch another Ping product in my life. One of the courses I play at lost their account for selling a Ping driver for $10 below what they were supposed to sell it for. The Pro doesn't advertise he just sells everything for a certain percentage over wholesale and it worked out that for the G400 it was $10 below what he was supposed to sell it for and a secret shopper came in, bought one and reported him.

He's had an account with Ping and it was his #1 seller for over 20 years. If Ping is willing to destroy a 20+ year relationship over $10 it's not a company I'm willing to support by buying their equipment. I've carried a Ping bag since I was a kid (never really played their clubs) and now there is a Callaway bag in my trunk and a Ping bag in my garbage can.

Long story short, I'm good at holding a grudge so Ping is a brand I will never play.

TaylorMade. Maybe I’d like them if I had a flat brimmed hat.

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

PXG for the honoring the troops BS. 50% off of last years models? If you truly loved the veterans you would give 50% off the current model so we can have the best at a normal price!

So that people can purchase and dump to make profits? They can still do with the gen 1’s but the market is all ready saturated with gen 1’s there won’t be much profit to make. From what I’ve read there isn’t a huge difference in “performance” between the two models. If you qualify for this program I’m sure you’ll be happy with what you get (especially if fitted properly). Also, Bob has donated millions to veteran charities and to suggest he doesn’t “truly” love veterans as a veteran himself is disingenuous!

I'll never touch another Ping product in my life. One of the courses I play at lost their account for selling a Ping driver for $10 below what they were supposed to sell it for. The Pro doesn't advertise he just sells everything for a certain percentage over wholesale and it worked out that for the G400 it was $10 below what he was supposed to sell it for and a secret shopper came in, bought one and reported him.

He's had an account with Ping and it was his #1 seller for over 20 years. If Ping is willing to destroy a 20+ year relationship over $10 it's not a company I'm willing to support by buying their equipment. I've carried a Ping bag since I was a kid (never really played their clubs) and now there is a Callaway bag in my trunk and a Ping bag in my garbage can.

Long story short, I'm good at holding a grudge so Ping is a brand I will never play.

You should actually be happy Ping cares that much about their brand image. Ping clubs hold their value better than any other club on the market for that reason alone. People know they will be a certain price at all retail outlets.

You should actually be happy Ping cares that much about their brand image. Ping clubs hold their value better than any other club on the market for that reason alone. People know they will be a certain price at all retail outlets.

I've got no problem with the no advertising below a certain price to protect the brand's image but trying to dictate a business's pricing structure that you've had no problem with for years is too much, especially for $10. You can go on eBay and find several brand new G400s sold for well below their MSP so a company that is willing to shake down a 20+ year old account over $10 before they deal with finding the source of the clubs being sold on eBay has no room in my bag.

The private club I play at has a Mill River program where we - only the members are eligible - pay a couple hundred bucks up front and then buy everything at 10% over cost. It's a very private club so there is never any advertising done but Ping still took it upon themselves to cancel the account. That pricing structure was in place for as long as the club has been around and until last year Ping had no problem with it. In fact it was the longest standing Ping account in our state. Our club was actually happy to see Ping leave because Taylormade and Callaway were fighting for the extra sales and it worked out very well in terms of the additional fitting equipment and demo days they gave us.

Ping just seems to pick really dumb fights and with them years and years of a loyal relationship means nothing apparently. I get trying to protect their brand by in my eyes some of the moves they've made of late are just idiotic.

So by your logic of what should make me happy you think selling a driver in a cash deal at an unadvertised price for $10 below the MSP is worse for a brand than throwing away a 20+ year relationship over $10. That's an interesting notion. In my eyes Ping's actions have done far more damage than our Golf Shop's did.

As I said Ping is now a brand I will never play again.

Yonex. I won't play or buy any more of their clubs. I had a brand new Yonex Ezone driver crack apart, and they fabricated a story that I accidentally broke it by hitting something. I hit less than 100 range balls and it cracked apart. Their resolution was piss poor too. They wanted me to buy a new head, but they said they would not warranty the new head or club work. At the time I had 4 sets of Yonex irons, and was a positive supporter of the brand.

Driver... Cobra Aerojet LS, Lin-Q M40X R
Fairway... 4 & 7 TEE E722 Ventus Red R
Irons... 4-P Wilson Staff CB, UST Recoil 95 R
Wedges... 50/54/58 Cleveland RTX-6 Recoil 95 R
Putter... Odyssey White Hot Pro Super Stroke 2.0 XL Legacy

PXG for the honoring the troops BS. 50% off of last years models? If you truly loved the veterans you would give 50% off the current model so we can have the best at a normal price!

So that people can purchase and dump to make profits? They can still do with the gen 1’s but the market is all ready saturated with gen 1’s there won’t be much profit to make. From what I’ve read there isn’t a huge difference in “performance” between the two models. If you qualify for this program I’m sure you’ll be happy with what you get (especially if fitted properly). Also, Bob has donated millions to veteran charities and to suggest he doesn’t “truly” love veterans as a veteran himself is disingenuous!

Dont get me wrong it's a great program until you think about it. As an Iraq war veteran it's a great program until you compare it to how we got things from the Army. That they couldn't use anymore.

Being a vet himself he knows first hand how bad active duty Marines get screwed with hand me downs.

So give 40% off of this years models. This would be more appealing so I can have nice NEW things for once.

To me its like if I owned a golf store, hey I'll sell these 2018 new clubs for full price..... OR because I have a surplus I will give you 50% off of last years models because no one wants them anymore and they will go to waste shortly. Not to mention its almost 2019 so they will be even more obsolete shortly.

Idk I guess I feel as if you want to give back, make it great! Not a slap in the face.

That promotional deal he offered was better than the military discount anyways.

Dont get me wrong it's a great program until you think about it. As an Iraq war veteran it's a great program until you compare it to how we got things from the Army. That they couldn't use anymore.

Being a vet himself he knows first hand how bad active duty Marines get screwed with hand me downs.

So give 40% off of this years models. This would be more appealing so I can have nice NEW things for once.

To me its like if I owned a golf store, hey I'll sell these 2018 new clubs for full price..... OR because I have a surplus I will give you 50% off of last years models because no one wants them anymore and they will go to waste shortly. Not to mention its almost 2019 so they will be even more obsolete shortly.

Idk I guess I feel as if you want to give back, make it great! Not a slap in the face.

That promotional deal he offered was better than the military discount anyways.

To me your position sounds a little ungrateful. I don't play PXG and I don't think a whole lot about the brand but they are undoubtedly one of the most luxurious brands on the market today so what you're complaining about is like having Chevy (to keep it American) say we're going to sell you a 2017 Corvette for 40% under sticker. Would you complain about that too?

Sorry you're only getting a really good deal and not a great deal but if that's why you would never buy PXG I respect your opinion.