G400 Max...Holy Cow!!!

drumdude96

Really enjoying the honeymoon. Ordered a max without the grip, so that I could put a Z5 on it rather than the stock golf pride.

Took it out last night for the first time, with the White tie from my G30 in it. A couple less than stellar swings were still usable. Today was just as good as the wedding night.

I've got a new 65 gram stiff red tie shaft to put together for it and the Ping tour 65 that needs a grip.

The Max head may cause my index to drop into single digits for the first time in 33 years of golfing.

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

What's the general consensus on the best shaft for the 400 Max? Currently game the M4 with Evenflow Blue shaft. As someone mentioned in the M3/4 not selling thread there's lots of the Max drivers out there - at my club I haven't seen one yet and wondered what the most popular shafts are for it?

I'm going to PGASS next week to give this a hit and see how it performs but it'd be good to know what combination works well.

So today I hit a borrowed G400Max vs the Wilson Staff C300 driver...2 drives with each on each hole...nobody out there but me because I like to possibly die in excessive heat. The C300 no doubt hit farther on both center and off-center hits. My C300 has a 58g Speeder shaft....the Ping shaft is stock stiff. Look, both are great clubs...I just find the C300 to be as better based on testing.

Everyone said the same thing about the G30. I bet it's not any better.

Measurably it is. They jumped up a level in MOI over their already high MOI drivers which means more forgiveness on off center hits whether you like the driver or not.

It’s actually amazing how forgiving the G400 LST is for what it produces. G400 Max LST please!!

It's not likely something like a Max LST would be put out since they are conflicting ideas. The LST heads have their center of gravity further forward which lowers launch and spin at the expense of some forgiveness. The Max head has the center of gravity as far back as possible to increase forgiveness and raise launch at the expense of raising spin a bit. Any hybrid between these two ideas from a marketing standpoint would be somewhat redundant given that what you would have at that point would basically be the G400 standard.

Don't all drivers have to conform to a COR of 0.83? If so, then folks are getting more distance on their particular miss. Incoming!

None of this has anything to do with COR as that is only one variable in the whole equation. PING pushed their normal design philosophy even further with pretty insane MOI numbers throughout the G400 lineup making easily the most forgiving driver available.

It may be low spinning for pros, but for us hacks with a negative seven AoA, we need a LST version.

As was said, all negative AoA does is change dynamic loft. Strike for strike/loft for loft your spin will not be any higher. However a negative 7* AoA would be really hard to get the correct launch with but that is a separate problem.

If your swing is adaptable enough to accomplish both, you would see it does effect spin.......it is why long drive champions try to achieve +7 to + 8 AoA. My comfortable grooved driver swing is a negative 2, use to be closer to a 3. I get 2200-2400 spin out of my setup. If I increase my AoA to a +3 with this same setup I drop down to 1800 spin.

Long drive guys have insane AoA because they HAVE to with the 4-5* drivers they use, it has nothing to do with spin.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I have owned them all, ask my wallet.

The GMax is the best driver that I have ever owned period.

Unbelievably accurate for me and I pound it.

Never want to say that this is my last driver since I have owned hundreds of them, but there is nothing out now that could knock it out of the bag.

Ping G430 10.5, Ventus Red 60
TM 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
TM 7 wood,  Fuji Red TR 70

Ping G430  Hybrid # 22
PXG Gen 6 XP irons 5-GW with MMT 95 shafts

TM M4 54 & 58 Wedges

Odyssey Versa M5  Putter

I do wish that PING would move away from all this Dragonfly/Turbulator/Vortec stuff because it really feels like gimmicky marketing fluff on top of an otherwise very solid underlying design philosophy. The G400 drivers are a measurable step up since MOI is the number to be measured. Its refreshing in an environment where lots of the supposed new "tech" is somewhat vague and hard to quantify, things like Twist Face, Jailbreak, and the above mentioned Dravorbulators. I am looking forward to trying and potentially bagging one of these G400s as my "tight course" driver since the M1 430 is quite unforgiving.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Bridgestone 

I do wish that PING would move away from all this Dragonfly/Turbulator/Vortec stuff because it really feels like gimmicky marketing fluff on top of an otherwise very solid underlying design philosophy. The G400 drivers are a measurable step up since MOI is the number to be measured. Its refreshing in an environment where lots of the supposed new "tech" is somewhat vague and hard to quantify, things like Twist Face, Jailbreak, and the above mentioned Dravorbulators. I am looking forward to trying and potentially bagging one of these G400s as my "tight course" driver since the M1 430 is quite unforgiving.

I saw something in your previous post the I don't remember seeing before.......You responded to something that it said I said, but I was not the one who said it.

I have owned them all, ask my wallet.

The GMax is the best driver that I have ever owned period.

Unbelievably accurate for me and I pound it.

Never want to say that this is my last driver since I have owned hundreds of them, but there is nothing out now that could knock it out of the bag.

It's crazy good I agree. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I saw something in your previous post the I don't remember seeing before.......You responded to something that it said I said, but I was not the one who said it.

Ah sorry about that, I had to cut down the number of multi quotes and I must have removed the wrong name, I'll fix that later.

Bridgestone 

Ah sorry about that, I had to cut down the number of multi quotes and I must have removed the wrong name, I'll fix that later.

No big deal.....I just noticed it. No need to change.

The G400 Max is the highest MOI driver on the market by a wide margin and the highest Ping has ever produced. That will in theory add forgiveness, I played them all including the G and for me it is indeed more stable. That's not lip service either I would not say it if I didn't mean it. In regards to length based on a proper setup everyone's mileage will vary. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Can someone explain why the g400 Max is better/more forgiving/longer than say the g30 or the g? They are all 460cc and have some sort of turbulator technology. Is it the internal weighting? Is the Alta gold shaft better than the Alta blue shaft or the tfc419 shaft?

The G400 Max is the highest MOI driver on the market by a wide margin and the highest Ping has ever produced. That will in theory add forgiveness, I played them all including the G and for me it is indeed more stable. That's not lip service either I would not say it if I didn't mean it. In regards to length based on a proper setup everyone's mileage will vary. BB

As Big Ben said, it is the highest MOI driver on the market by a significant margin (even over some previous PING offerings!) which I would say is not theoretical, it is factually more forgiving. Higher MOI = slower head twisting on off center hits which = less gear effect forces applied to the ball which = tighter dispersion and better ball speeds anywhere outside the exact sweet spot. All of this is accomplished by weight savings throughout the design allowing for more weight to be thrown all the way to the back of the head which increases the MOI. There is far far more to the equation than simply "these are all 460cc". You could make a 460cc driver that is as unforgiving as a Persimmon wood if you wanted to. You could also make one with insanely expensive composite materials to create a massively lightweight head with a much more significant portion of its weight in the rear creating a driver that practically feels like a sweet spot wherever you hit it, but the USGA has placed a limit on MOI (which PING came extremely close to with the G400 MAX) and even if they hadn't, a driver like that, at least today, would likely be prohibitively expensive.

Bridgestone 

Been playing with a HC Yellow and very impressed with the performance but the WRX’r in me felt I could get more out of the Max and it actually paid off for once. Pro Orange is giving me a nice flight and finally getting a decent amount of rollout. Max is the only driver to knock out my 910 that I’ve played since 2010 and believe me I’ve tried every Titleist and TM offering that’s come out. Never thought I’d be playing a Ping driver but the buzz made me order one blind and it’s a winner albeit not the prettiest but you can’t argue with the results.

Oddly same here....my first ping in at least 7yrs...either too loud not better or actually worse than other clubs to me on market. This 400 fam changes everything, the regular 400 is the least used oddly. The max is soooooo good and low spin while being straight with high bombs. My lst flies lower, is a little more workable with smaller head and only about 170 to 200rps less spin and almost 400 less than the 400 regular.

Best part is the heel miss is straight and playable....I could couldve cried when I saw this over and over, it saved me that my miss isn't deadly anymore....bye rogue

Been playing with a HC Yellow and very impressed with the performance but the WRX’r in me felt I could get more out of the Max and it actually paid off for once. Pro Orange is giving me a nice flight and finally getting a decent amount of rollout. Max is the only driver to knock out my 910 that I’ve played since 2010 and believe me I’ve tried every Titleist and TM offering that’s come out. Never thought I’d be playing a Ping driver but the buzz made me order one blind and it’s a winner albeit not the prettiest but you can’t argue with the results.

Oddly same here....my first ping in at least 7yrs...either too loud not better or actually worse than other clubs to me on market. This 400 fam changes everything, the regular 400 is the least used oddly. The max is soooooo good and low spin while being straight with high bombs. My lst flies lower, is a little more workable with smaller head and only about 170 to 200rps less spin and almost 400 less than the 400 regular.

Best part is the heel miss is straight and playable....I could couldve cried when I saw this over and over, it saved me that my miss isn't deadly anymore....bye rogue

i hit a ball so high and off the toe that it should've shot to the other fairway. Guess what it did. Started right of target and drew back into the fairway. And only 5 yards less that my first ball I played that I struck perfectly. I was in shock.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

Well i did a first today, walked into my favourite golf store and 10 mins later walked out with a new driver the G400 Max.

Didn't try out every driver in the store, actually never even took one swing. Snagged er off the rack and off i went.

9 degree tour stiff [only stiff model they had]

Lots of great reviews on the 400 Max, played with a fellow last night that was smoking a G400.

Can't wait to try it out.

Well i did a first today, walked into my favourite golf store and 10 mins later walked out with a new driver the G400 Max.

did the same thing today - kind of lol. the buzz around this thing had me in the pro shop today and i have one on order = G400 Max 9* with stock Alta CB in X Flex. I have the standard Ping G and keep seeing reports on how much better the G400 Max is. I just want to hit more fairways - I get it out there far enough.

I finally took mine to the course yesterday for the maiden voyage.

More consistent and just as forgiving and long as my F8. Higher ballflight as others have said.

I do not like loud drivers and it is not a concern with me at all.

It’s not as quiet as the Cobra, but no where close to the G series either. Should not be an issue with most golfers.

Certainly a larger footprint than my G400 standard head and the F8, but not off-putting in any way.

Just a great driver that will fit well into thr game of most golfers.

I do tend to agree with the opinion that it is a bit draw biased, as my flight has move more to the left a bit, but very marginally.

Although the Tour 65X worked for me, I would like to try an Even flowing this head.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

Has anyone tried the Kuro Kage XD in the Max? If you go with a non CB or backweighted shaft in the Max does that make the head feel heavier or lighter? That always gets me confused.

Look for info in the below link

http://www.golfwrx.c...st/page__st__60

Thanks. They really elaborated on the change, lol

Has anyone tried the Kuro Kage XD in the Max? If you go with a non CB or backweighted shaft in the Max does that make the head feel heavier or lighter? That always gets me confused.

Lol.

I have a DC XT 70 TX in the G400 Max and its an excellent combo. From all the accounts, XD is even more lower launch/spin vs. the DC XT, so safe to assume that it will play awesome in this head.

Lol.

I have a DC XT 70 TX in the G400 Max and its an excellent combo. From all the accounts, XD is even more lower launch/spin vs. the DC XT, so safe to assume that it will play awesome in this head.

I currently have an XD for the M3 which I could get set up for a Max

What's the general consensus on the best shaft for the 400 Max? Currently game the M4 with Evenflow Blue shaft. As someone mentioned in the M3/4 not selling thread there's lots of the Max drivers out there - at my club I haven't seen one yet and wondered what the most popular shafts are for it?

I'm going to PGASS next week to give this a hit and see how it performs but it'd be good to know what combination works well.

IMHO there is no such thing because there are too many variables with the Indian.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

did the same thing today - kind of lol. the buzz around this thing had me in the pro shop today and i have one on order = G400 Max 9* with stock Alta CB in X Flex. I have the standard Ping G and keep seeing reports on how much better the G400 Max is. I just want to hit more fairways - I get it out there far enough.

Lots of Buzz on the Max, i should have tried a few and ordered one but i had some trade value that was only good for in stock items only. I have a G30 and have been hitting my 910 d2 pretty good, but i could use all the help i can get. Going hard on the Ping, i200's are pretty sweet, fairway woods next.

What's the story on the stock Alta CB ?

Geez, after reading so much about the MAX, I am really tempted. :beruo: But my Fusion might get mad at me. :dntknw:

temptation,,,,,,,, must,,,,,,,,,, avoid,,,,,,,,,,,, :fie:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I kinda feel like the Max is the single must try for anyone in the market for a driver. No driver has made such an impression on me when I first tested it. If you can find a setup that works for you, I believe it's as good as everyone says. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a shaft that I liked to work with the Max.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino