Top Courses that disappointed

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 and 17 is garbage. 17 has too bold of a green for a long par 3 that is uphill. The bunkers are on both sides of the fairway on half the holes, there is no strategy for a preferred angle, when RTJ ruined Ross work. The tie in's around the greens have no character or nuances. 15 you have center line bunkers with no room to go left or right. Now I can carry them, but it's another weak hole. It's best just to walk in after the 11th green, end on a great hole. 16 isn't the only contrived hole on the course, #7 might be the worst hole.

1. Orchard Lake

2. Franklin Hills

3. Meadowbrook

4. UofM

5. Indianwood old/Oakland Hills S

We (and most of the golf community at large - www.golfdigest.com/gallery/the-best-us-open-venue-our-definitive-ranking/amp) are going to have to agree to disagree (lol). Thanks for the MI suggestions!

To be fair I live in the area and Tads opinion is shared by MANY around here who have played all over the city. He is not necessarily an outlier. I would also suggest that the USGA and the membership mostly agree with him too as the USGA has told them they won't get another open until they make major changes to the golf course (they haven't had a US Open since 1996) and the membership is about to put a huge sum of money into completely redoing it.

I think they voted down the renovation:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20160712/NEWS/160719943/oakland-hills-membership-rejects-11-million-south-course-renovation

That is from 2017. New proposal for 2018 is about to be voted on and is expected to pass.

From my understanding they made some changes to lower the overall cost and alot of it was removing new planned cart paths.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Anyone played Riviera? Curious about the experience.

Really enjoyed Riviera, both the course and the experience.

A lot of Australian courses have kikuyu fairways and green surrounds, it's a noxious weed and can get vey difficult to chip off. The Riviera kikuyu seems tighter and better bedded into the ground than what we often get. Made for superb surfaces to hit off.

Some really good holes, great to go play a course that you have seen so much of on TV.

Disappointment: my double on 10.

I just got home from Scotland. We played Prestwick, original home of the Open, and I was a bit underwhelmed. There are a few great holes, a few quirky holes, but a fair number of pretty plain holes. It was great for the history, and for a chance to visit the member's areas, but I expected to like the course more. I loved playing Western Gailes, even in a good strong wind, and we had really nice surprises at Glasgow Gailes and The Glen in North Berwick.

Prestwick, really

What did you expect?

Its a super small club, Home of the First Open Championship.

Its part of history, if they made you play with a gutta percha and hickorys

maybe then you would appreciate it?

were you disappointed when you saw the Declaration of Independance

"just an old wrinkled piece of paper"

no wonder they can't stand Americans

I assume you were responding to me, even though you didn't provide any clues. To your points, I specifically said I enjoyed the history, and our glimpse into the member's areas. The hospitality was outstanding, from everyone we met there. conditions were pretty good, although the course showed a few ill effects from the recent weeks of really dry weather. Its hard to say exactly what part of the experience fell short of expectations, but I'd point to about half of the holes being relatively "normal." I didn't dislike the course, I'm glad I had the experience, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I had expected.

We did play another Open course, Musselburgh Old, with hickories, and had a blast.

As for the last bit of drivel, they don't hate Americans. They might roll their eyes when someone comes in and asks for an "ice cold Coors light" instead of a real beer, or complains that you can't get good food (absolutely not true), or puts ice in their "Scotch" when whisky should be enjoyed with no more than a bit of water, but the Scots are a very friendly and welcoming lot.

I just got home from Scotland. We played Prestwick, original home of the Open, and I was a bit underwhelmed. There are a few great holes, a few quirky holes, but a fair number of pretty plain holes. It was great for the history, and for a chance to visit the member's areas, but I expected to like the course more. I loved playing Western Gailes, even in a good strong wind, and we had really nice surprises at Glasgow Gailes and The Glen in North Berwick.

Each to their own and all that, but I cannot reconcile a golfer loving Western Gailes, with saying Prestwick has a number of pretty plain holes. West Gailes is nice - the staff were exceptionally lovely, some of the nicest I've met - but except for 6/7 are there really any standout holes? I'd certainly not try and argue that 14/18 at Prestwick are anything other than plain, but otherwise I don't think Western Gailes comes close to matching Prestwick hole for hole.

What do you think about North Berwick in relation to those two?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Each to their own and all that, but I cannot reconcile a golfer loving Western Gailes, with saying Prestwick has a number of pretty plain holes. West Gailes is nice - the staff were exceptionally lovely, some of the nicest I've met - but except for 6/7 are there really any standout holes? I'd certainly not try and argue that 14/18 at Prestwick are anything other than plain, but otherwise I don't think Western Gailes comes close to matching Prestwick hole for hole.

To me, Western Gailes makes better use of the coastal setting than Prestwick does. The areas of Prestwick closer to the clubhouse have the more interesting dune terrain (1-4, 15-17), but 6 to 13 are good golf holes without being very interesting to me. At Western Gailes, I liked the setting of many of the tees on top of the dune, and even though many of those tee shots seemed similar, each hole seemed to play a little differently. The "plainer" holes are only a few on the way back in, I think 14 to 16 if I remember correctly.

I enjoyed North Berwick pretty well, about what I expected. There are a few somewhat plain holes here as well, but I liked the flow of holes, (even with two par-5s in a row), and really enjoyed the finishing 6 holes.

And as you said, to each his own. None of us is "wrong" we just have differing opinions. Except the guy who suggests that Scots can't stand Americans.

Ballybunion, too many meh holes. Signature holes were great though.

Ballybunion is my favorite course in the world! When I traveled to Ireland with a group of golf buddies, we cancelled our tee time at Lahinch so we could play Ballubunion a second time. All six of us thought it was certainly the best course we played on that trip.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

Speaking as a Scot, I wouldn't say we have any hate towards Americans. Sure, people can be a bit put out by some who are a bit loud and brash but most love it that you guys come over here and enjoy some great courses and have a blast in our brilliant little country.

I'd also say to people to try England as well. Some teriffic courses down there too and Ireland has much to offer as well.

You only need to see how many UK guys offer tips and advice to people looking to travel.

If we hated Americans no one would help :-)

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

To me, Western Gailes makes better use of the coastal setting than Prestwick does. The areas of Prestwick closer to the clubhouse have the more interesting dune terrain (1-4, 15-17), but 6 to 13 are good golf holes without being very interesting to me. At Western Gailes, I liked the setting of many of the tees on top of the dune, and even though many of those tee shots seemed similar, each hole seemed to play a little differently. The "plainer" holes are only a few on the way back in, I think 14 to 16 if I remember correctly.

I enjoyed North Berwick pretty well, about what I expected. There are a few somewhat plain holes here as well, but I liked the flow of holes, (even with two par-5s in a row), and really enjoyed the finishing 6 holes.

Fair enough, we obviously have different definitions of plain. The first 3 at WG just basically take you out to the boundary fence, but turning back is does get good for a bit. It's only in those handful of holes and subsequent teeboxes where the dunes ever rear their head though. And yes you are closer to the water for whatever that counts for, when it's not actually in play. Once you turn back again at 14, it's pretty flat featureless terrain again, bar the uphillish shot around the ridge on 17.

The 5 consecutive par 4s at Prestwick at least give you 3 different wind directions, genuine elevation changes and different opportunities on the approach shots both in terms of distance and shot shape, offering up things that the flat holes at WG lack. Bar the two I mentioned earlier, all the other holes at Prestwick have something of genuine interest to them. For many that comes from off the tee and the approaches, over and above any historical consideration one could also add to it...

Anyways, I'll stop belabouring the point now :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Fair enough, we obviously have different definitions of plain. The first 3 at WG just basically take you out to the boundary fence, but turning back is does get good for a bit. It's only in those handful of holes and subsequent teeboxes where the dunes ever rear their head though. And yes you are closer to the water for whatever that counts for, when it's not actually in play. Once you turn back again at 14, it's pretty flat featureless terrain again, bar the uphillish shot around the ridge on 17.

The 5 consecutive par 4s at Prestwick at least give you 3 different wind directions, genuine elevation changes and different opportunities on the approach shots both in terms of distance and shot shape, offering up things that the flat holes at WG lack. Bar the two I mentioned earlier, all the other holes at Prestwick have something of genuine interest to them. For many that comes from off the tee and the approaches, over and above any historical consideration one could also add to it...

It would be a lot of fun to play them together, and discuss (or argue) over a pint or two afterwards.

Ballybunion is my favorite course in the world! When I traveled to Ireland with a group of golf buddies, we cancelled our tee time at Lahinch so we could play Ballubunion a second time. All six of us thought it was certainly the best course we played on that trip.

To each his own I guess ;)

It would be a lot of fun to play them together, and discuss (or argue) over a pint or two afterwards.

Ha yes! If only one didn't get our travel plans wrong by a week last month ;)

F.T.

I'm with you, I find Ballybunion to be massively over rated. Skipping Lahinch for a second go was a big mistake imo. There's a few great holes at BB but far too many meh holes for it to be truly great. Few exceptional holes in the middle but the start and the finish are not great and a disappointment for a course ranked so high. I've been there 4 times and each time I go in thinking I'll see what I must have missed before but each time I walk off with the same impression.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

I'm with you, I find Ballybunion to be massively over rated. Skipping Lahinch for a second go was a big mistake imo. There's a few great holes at BB but far too many meh holes for it to be truly great. Few exceptional holes in the middle but the start and the finish are not great and a disappointment for a course ranked so high. I've been there 4 times and each time I go in thinking I'll see what I must have missed before but each time I walk off with the same impression.

Me too. I’ve been there on 7 different trips and have always played it on our trips that hit the Southwest. We like it but picking it over Lahinch would be a sin to me. Ballybunion is fine. Lahinch is amazing. Can easily name 10 courses in Ireland that I’d play 100/100 times over Ballybunion Old. Don’t get me stared in Cashen. That place should be blown up.

Big names that I have played multiple times and have zero love for: TPC Sawgrass, Harbour Town, Eastlake. They’re fine. Well, not HT. It is an average neighborhood course other than 18 which is more pretty than a good hole. The other two however are fine. Just not places I would go out of my way to go back to again.

Me too. I've been there on 7 different trips and have always played it on our trips that hit the Southwest. We like it but picking it over Lahinch would be a sin to me. Ballybunion is fine. Lahinch is amazing. Can easily name 10 courses in Ireland that I'd play 100/100 times over Ballybunion Old. Don't get me stared in Cashen. That place should be blown up.

100/100? We're not talking about Old Head here.

Sure the back-to-back 5s don't do much and I can see how folks might not be keen on the couple detours back inland at the turn and on 13/14, but otherwise I think it's top drawer stuff. I'm either not discerning enough or jaded enough, but I could throw Ballybunion, Lahinch, Portrush, and RCD into a hat and pull them out in any order and be OK with it.

F.T.

Sure the back-to-back 5s don't do much and I can see how folks might not be keen on the couple detours back inland at the turn and on 13/14, but otherwise I think it's top drawer stuff. I'm either not discerning enough or jaded enough, but I could throw Ballybunion, Lahinch, Portrush, and RCD into a hat and pull them out in any order and be OK with it.

Yep, 100/100. Again, I'm fine with Ballybunion Old. It is just so far below Lahinch IMO I can't see ever choosing it instead. That's just an example. RCD, Portrush Dunluce, both Ballyliffin Courses, Waterville, Tralee, Carne, even Enniscrone would all be courses I would always choose over Ballybunion Old. The only one of those I might waiver on a bit is Carne. I've played it a bunch and won't shed a tear for it if I never play it again but strongly suspect that I will because I won't be the one organizing the trips.

Yep, 100/100. Again, I'm fine with Ballybunion Old. It is just so far below Lahinch IMO I can't see ever choosing it instead. That's just an example. RCD, Portrush Dunluce, both Ballyliffin Courses, Waterville, Tralee, Carne, even Enniscrone would all be courses I would always choose over Ballybunion Old. The only one of those I might waiver on a bit is Carne. I've played it a bunch and won't shed a tear for it if I never play it again but strongly suspect that I will because I won't be the one organizing the trips.

Interesting. Not that keen on Tralee (obviously all things being equal in the world of top whatever courses), for it's cool coastal hugging holes on the front, it has a strong whiff of the Cashen about it on the back, but I reckon if I lived in Kerry I'd still probably play it at least once vs 99 for Ballybunion.

F.T.

Kapalua...much prefer the Wailea courses over this one.

Valhalla...if it didn't have the PGA's name on it now, it would be a high priced private course, nothing more. Way too pretentious these days, as well. There are half a dozen or more

better courses in KY for a helluva lot less bank.

And on a different note....here are some courses that should be ranked much higher in their respective state, imo....

Long Bay in Myrtle Beach

Kelly Plantation in Destin

Just played Lake of Isles North, one of the Troon courses at Foxwoods Casino in Connecticut, which was on the Golf Digest "top100 courses you can play" list in 2017.

Service was impeccable. Course conditions and layout not so much. Greens were pretty rough, a lot of damaged spots. Many also weren't smooth. A lot of tee boxes were uneven, and the par 3 boxes looked like the tee markers hadn't been moved in a week.

Layout, there's a lot of up and down, which is fine, but there are a lot of fairways where it's almost impossible to have an even lie. I had at least half a dozen holes where I hit a perfect drive, right into the hole's designed target landing area, and had the ball substantially above or below my feet, with no flat ground anywhere nearby where it could have been different.

They also seemed to be under the impression they were hosting the US Open that week. There was only one cut of rough, and that was generally at least 4 inches deep right off the fairway. There were two holes that I hit the ball no more than 5 feet off the fairway, and had a good look at where the ball landed, but was unable to find the ball in the rough.

Just reading this thread and looking over my "courses played" list, here are a few that were disappointing;

1. Pinehurst #2

2. East Lake

3. Cog Hill

4. Prestwick

5. Augusta CC

3 pages in to see it.

I second East Lake...I wouldn't call it overrated. Having walked the course for the Tour Championship several times as a spectator, I was very excited to pay my $250 guest fee to play it, but I walked off not wowed or anything. Very challenging the way it was set up and in good shape, just not the wow factor I was expecting...coupled with the price made it somewhat disappointing.

Interesting. Not that keen on Tralee (obviously all things being equal in the world of top whatever courses), for it's cool coastal hugging holes on the front, it has a strong whiff of the Cashen about it on the back, but I reckon if I lived in Kerry I'd still probably play it at least once vs 99 for Ballybunion.

On our trip we played Ballybunion, Waterville and Tralee, among others. Of those three Ballybunion would still be my first pick by a good margin.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec