2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Are Mizuno MP18 SC's too much for me?

Hit em good

I would really like to get the MP18 SC's, but the reviews are not clear if they are right for my level. I can't stand the look of the MMC's, so don't want them.

I'm a 6 -7 hc, and good iron player. Average swing speed, at 100mph driver.

Do you think the SC's would be okay for my level? I currently play MP54's, and hit them very well. Would love to hear from those who have played both the SC and MMC.

Thanks,

Hit em good

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t own them personally, but my handicap and swing speeds are nearly identical to yours. I have been looking at these clubs also. From my understanding, we are essentially the targeted demographic to play the MP 18 SC. Demo them somewhere and pick them up if they’re a fit! I just cant bring myself to pull the trigger.

Yes.

I’m a 14HCP and got fitted for these. These are incredible irons. Note: the shaft is very important part of the club! Is was fitted wrong for stiffer shafts and couldn’t hit it good, i replaced with less stout shafts and excellent!

Somehow I play this irons better than the P790. Maybe it has Something to do that I learned to play 30 years ago with blades ... left golf for 27 years and came back 3 years ago.

MPs helped me to fine tune my swing. Good hits are rewarding. Bad hits let you know what you’re doing wrong.

Plus, they are so aesthetically rewarding that makes you want to use them as much as posible.

I was using M2 previously and those were so forgiving every hit was more or less good, but no real feedback to improve.

I'm 68 years old and a 12. Currently playing MP 25s. Previously played and loved 30s, 32s and 57s. I played a round with an 18SC 6 iron and hit it well. I am very close to pulling the trigger on the SCs. Maybe with the blade PW and 9 iron. I am not impressed with the look of the MMCs. Still thinking about maybe getting MMC 5 and 4 iron.

Titleist TSi2 10
Titleist 917F 16.5 
Titleist 917F 21 
Titleist 718 AP3 4-48 
Titleist Vokey SM7 52 
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 
Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

I'm 68 years old and a 12. Currently playing MP 25s. Previously played and lived 30s, 32s and 57s. I played a round with an 18SC 6 iron and hit it well. I am very close to pulling the trigger on the SCs. Maybe with the blade PW and 9 iron. I am not impressed with the look of the MMCs. Still thinking about maybe getting MMC 5 and 4 iron.

I play a MMC 4 and Sc 5. They play and look very similar, the Sc and Mbs definitely feel a little better, but I have been riping that 4 iron.

Buy these but, make sure you take your time in getting fitted.

Case and point: I was fitted at 2* Flat, standard length with KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff. I was alright with them. Fast forward 6-7 months, 3-4 real 1 hour long lessons and multiple rounds later, I am playing a different set at 2* upright with KBS Tour S+ LE Pearl Black shafts.

Just recently, my buddy grabbed some SC's with my other favorite shafts, X100s. I swung his as he also is at 2* upright and was locked down with them.

I am constantly hovering between 14-16 handicap (not because of iron play). Just ensure you're getting fitted at multiple places, after lessons (your teacher / pro is your best fitter...period) and everything feels good. They are easily the some of the best irons of the year.

At your level you can comfortably play them and they are gorgeous looking irons. The only thing I'd say is do yourself a favour and hit them against the JPX 900 Forged at your fitting. For me they performed better and felt just as good

Ping G425 LST 10.5* Tour 65 S
Ping G425 Max 14.5* Tour 75 S
Ping G425 Hybrids 19*/22* Tour 85 S
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW DG 120 S400
Mizuno T20 Raw 50,54,58 DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron Phantom x 5 34"

I would really like to get the MP18 SC's, but the reviews are not clear if they are right for my level. I can't stand the look of the MMC's, so don't want them.

Do you think the SC's would be okay for my level? I currently play MP54's, and hit them very well. Would love to hear from those who have played both the SC and MMC.

Thanks,

Hit em good

what about the MMCs do you not like? they are very hard to tell apart from the SC's from the top. i would not say though that the SC's are too difficult for anyone.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Get them or demo them and find out for yourself. In all honesty, you will not find much difference in the 54s and the 18s whatsoever. You very well might think that the 54s are softer. SC could possibly give you more workability.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

I think you'd be fine playing them as long as you like the look of them down by the ball. They look similar to the MMC's at this position.

Definitely take your time testing shafts. It took me a couple of sessions with different shafts to find the right ones for me. Now that I have, they are the best irons I have played

Thanks,

Hit em good

what about the MMCs do you not like? they are very hard to tell apart from the SC's from the top. i would not say though that the SC's are too difficult for anyone.

Not hating on the MMC, but I just don't like the multi material look, multiple finishes, wording in several places, toe only is satin.... They look GI and gimicky a little bit. I like the solid one piece look of the SC. I know Faldo plays them, and he's one of my playing heros from back in the day, so I know they are to be respected. Just not my preference.

Go MP18 Blades and save yourself some time in posting “are the MP18 MB’s too much for me” this time next year when your a +2.

Titleist TSR2 10 deg with Ventus TR Blue 6

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 deg 3 wood with Ventus TR Blue 7

Titleist TSR2  18 deg 5 wood with Ventus TR Blue 7

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges ?? 

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

Go MP18 Blades and save yourself some time in posting "are the MP18 MB's too much for me" this time next year when your a +2.

I like this!!! I actually have the MP4's, up to a 6 iron, but don't regularly game them. I hit them okay, up to the 7 iron. I must admit, I don't game them because of the stigma. I think alot of guys would think I was a wannabe, since I'm not a scratch level. I know I shouldn't worry about other people's thoughts, but just don't want to be looked at as a wannabe.

Go MP18 Blades and save yourself some time in posting "are the MP18 MB's too much for me" this time next year when your a +2.

I like this!!! I actually have the MP4's, up to a 6 iron, but don't regularly game them. I hit them okay, up to the 7 iron. I must admit, I don't game them because of the stigma. I think alot of guys would think I was a wannabe, since I'm not a scratch level. I know I shouldn't worry about other people's thoughts, but just don't want to be looked at as a wannabe.

Its all about what makes you happy. At the end of the day thats what counts the most. I play blades now because i just said f*** it this year and bought a set. I though i would just give them a try once. Would the SC's be more forgiving? By design the obvious answer is yes. However its never that easy is it. If people want to label me as a wannabe thats cool. Who cares... my wife calls me worse lol.

Titleist TSR2 10 deg with Ventus TR Blue 6

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 deg 3 wood with Ventus TR Blue 7

Titleist TSR2  18 deg 5 wood with Ventus TR Blue 7

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges ?? 

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

I don't think you'd have any issue gaming them. I played them most of this year until something else shiny caught my eye and they really are fantastic irons. I've been in the 8-11 index range for quite awhile now and didn't find them to be unforgiving or any of that. Definitely a smaller profile, but the misses aren't brutal at all. Just my .02!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I changed to SCs from MP69's. Had my ambition to game blades few years ago, but got now fed up with their mercilyness to misses, which at the level of my ball striking still combine most of my iron shots on the course. I'm a 6 handicapper. With misses I mean the slightly heeled, toed or thinned shots that might look ok to an eye of a hacker, but give instant feedback from the club face. The SC's have nearly as sweet and butterly feel in the good shots, but their biggest advantage comes to play in strikes that are off sweet spot. As with blades the curve of a misshit was exaggerated and they lost distance significantly, a miss hit with SC is much less curvy and there isn't nearly as much distance loss than with blades.

I play 4-P with SC's, and my 3-iron is mmc fli hi. Happy to play with this combo. With the option of shafts mizuno provides, you should be good to find the best combo for your swing. I do recommend to use trackman to get some data to support your decision. I've played my SC's for a few times and already provided better scores than during my 5-year tenure with blades. SC's are an excellent choise for a single handicapper who is looking for feel and playability in irons, with a touch of forgiveness.

I changed to SCs from MP69's. Had my ambition to game blades few years ago, but got now fed up with their mercilyness to misses, which at the level of my ball striking still combine most of my iron shots on the course. I'm a 6 handicapper. With misses I mean the slightly heeled, toed or thinned shots that might look ok to an eye of a hacker, but give instant feedback from the club face. The SC's have nearly as sweet and butterly feel in the good shots, but their biggest advantage comes to play in strikes that are off sweet spot. As with blades the curve of a misshit was exaggerated and they lost distance significantly, a miss hit with SC is much less curvy and there isn't nearly as much distance loss than with blades.

I play 4-P with SC's, and my 3-iron is mmc fli hi. Happy to play with this combo. With the option of shafts mizuno provides, you should be good to find the best combo for your swing. I do recommend to use trackman to get some data to support your decision. I've played my SC's for a few times and already provided better scores than during my 5-year tenure with blades. SC's are an excellent choise for a single handicapper who is looking for feel and playability in irons, with a touch of forgiveness.

Great input Sambo. I appreciate it.

I think I'll give these a try.

My 14 year old Son got fitted at a demo day by the Mizuno reps.

They used a different shaft, had them hard-stepped once, and adjusted lofts.

The shafts they suggested were different than what the pro shop had fitted.

My Son has a 97 mph swing with the 6 iron and he is getting 210 yards carry with it.

The fitting makes the difference!!

I'm 68 years old and a 12. Currently playing MP 25s. Previously played and lived 30s, 32s and 57s. I played a round with an 18SC 6 iron and hit it well. I am very close to pulling the trigger on the SCs. Maybe with the blade PW and 9 iron. I am not impressed with the look of the MMCs. Still thinking about maybe getting MMC 5 and 4 iron.

Peer pressure . Do it! :)

Haha

Has anyone ordered the MP18 SC Lofted at the MMC standard Lofts? Basically 2 degrees stronger except the PW

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Mizuno STZ- 230 22 Hybrid  ,LIN-Q Blue 

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Mizuno T24 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x