Joanne Carner's 30 year old R-90 wedge= 'busted'

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a joke. Spaceship drivers? Absolutely. Solid core balls? No problem. Long, light graphite shafts? Go right ahead. Putters the size of dinner plates? Please do.

30 year old sand wedge? Now wait just a minute!

Meanwhile, Augusta National is spending millions to move the 13th tee back...

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Give me a break, this rule has been in existence since 2010. If you haven't conformed to the rules for tournament play by now you deserve to be DQ'd.

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

Many old clubs are confirming. Perhaps this one isn't but a like model is and she got bad information and/or made an honest mistake.

Or she's a cheatin ho.

Pick one.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

What a joke. Spaceship drivers? Absolutely. Solid core balls? No problem. Long, light graphite shafts? Go right ahead. Putters the size of dinner plates? Please do.

30 year old sand wedge? Now wait just a minute!

Meanwhile, Augusta National is spending millions to move the 13th tee back...

It's all a bit ridiculous isn't it? Pretty obvious to me who's calling the shots and it ain't the USGA/R&A...

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Yes, it is the right call...yes, she should have known...

But, geez, we are really going to call it "busted?" I doubt she was trying to do something underhanded. Feels like an attempt at front page sensationalism more than anything else.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Did she think it would be grandmothered in?

I see what you did there.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

But the distance the ball is travelling? Nothing to see here...

That's because there isn't anything to see. The ball isnt a problem.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

It does go farther from every reasonable comparison I've seen, although not as much as some think.

For one example, Rick Shiels hit the new ProV1 about 11 yards further than the old Professional.

In my unscientific testing, that seems about right.

SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Joanne Carner is a tough 'ol gal who thinks she can still win the damn thing. And hell who knows, she just might. She shot her age today in a USGA event.... 79 (6 over) and was ticked off after the round and headed straight to the range. Afterwards she told the press she should be able to get around the place under par and she is determined to make the cut. She's the only woman to win a USGA junior, amateur and open championship. I'm rooting for her. I hope she showed up with a wedge that had a face on it like a washboard. Screw the USGA...go Joanne!!!

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Arch-

And Joanne Gunderson Carner has wanted that 4th different USGA Crown for almost a generation.

When Arnie and Jack got their US Amateur/ US Open/ US Senior Opens, "Gundy" was talking about a US Senior Womens Open.

Sadly, the USGA calls one of the iconic clubs in the history of the game non-conforming-since 2010.

The USGA waited a long time to hold this event.

Better late than not at all...

I chose my words carefully - it isn’t just the ball - though it is undoubtedly a factor. It’s agronomy, driver heads, long shafts etc and so on.

There is some acceptance (and Jack, Arnie, Player and Tiger apparently concur) that distance at the professional level has got out of control - but the USGA apparently have bigger fish to fry.

It does go farther from every reasonable comparison I've seen, although not as much as some think.

For one example, Rick Shiels hit the new ProV1 about 11 yards further than the old Professional.

I saw that test, too. It's flawed due to the age of the Professionals used in the test.

Of course, there's no way to do anything other than what he did; Titleist isn't producing the Professional anymore. So far as we know. ;)

A comparison of driving distance from 1999 and either 2001 or 2002 shows the distance increase to be about 5.5 yards. Which still isn't a problem, because the wound balls used in the 20th century weren't up against the limit.

I chose my words carefully - it isn’t just the ball - though it is undoubtedly a factor. It’s agronomy, driver heads, long shafts etc and so on.

There is some acceptance (and Jack, Arnie, Player and Tiger apparently concur) that distance at the professional level has got out of control - but the USGA apparently have bigger fish to fry.

I really think it's the clubhead size, and clubhead MOI, with a dash of the ever increasing club length and agronomy to taste. The MOI provides a straighter tee shot on mishits, allowing them to really go after it. The clubhead size plays into that, as well, giving them greater face area and helping to provide that MOI.

The 5-6 yds increase for the solid core ball is nothing. It was available to any pro who wanted to switch in the 90s, but they were too tied to their ball/shoe/glove money to give it a shot. Ironically, it took Tiger to get them to switch. The irony was that the other players appeared to think the ball was giving him the advantage he had at the 2000 US Open, when it was fairly obvious it didn't have anything to do with it. LOL

I don't think older pros talking about distance has much relevance. Especially in Jack's case, I think he has short memory. He's on record hitting 330-350 yard drives at age 50 with a J's Professional Weapon and a wound ball...

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

They ( The U.S.G.A. ) had never specify exactly why Carner's wedge was deemed non-conforming.

I can see if she had re-grooved the face after more than 3 decades of usage, then, it might have larger opening of the grooves than allowed.

The White Horse golf course..... Fazio's Niece designed it with the familiar feel to many of his other course design, because she had been working for her uncle for quite awhile before called upon this .

I had played it many times, and it was so difficult , the owner had to soften it by even out some rolling spots ( it was criticized at one time that there was not a flat spot on the whole golf course ) and took away some trees and removed a few bunkers...... NOT easy to walk, with distance between the holes and elevation chanes. Walking the terrain will even test a young man's love for the game.

Joanne Carner walked all her 3 rounds of practice prior to today's first round.

Hats off to these ladies, great score out of this golf course, even after the remodeling it is still tough to score well.

Yeah, I was wondering as well why tihs club was deemed non-conforming.

Is it because the grooves are non-conforming or is it just because the club is not on the conforming clubs list?

I always thought that was the "rule" after we had a couple of years of these "strange grooves" on clubs, the governing bodies said they would not allow clubs with those grooves on them anymore, and instead of making a list of the clubs with non-conforming grooves they made a list of conforming clubs (which is completely logical, as it is much easier to compile a list of give or take 100 years of golf clubs manufactured with the same (conforming) grooves, instead of making a list of clubs produced within a timeframe of give or take 10 years that had these non-conforming grooves. That is why you will now find hardly any MacGregor of Hogan club on the list of conforming clubs, so if you wanted to play these you woud have to send your clubs to the USGA(?) to have them check the grooves and rule if they are conforming or not. At least that is how I always understood it.

I saw that test, too. It's flawed due to the age of the Professionals used in the test.

Of course, there's no way to do anything other than what he did; Titleist isn't producing the Professional anymore. So far as we know. ;)

A comparison of driving distance from 1999 and either 2001 or 2002 shows the distance increase to be about 5.5 yards. Which still isn't a problem, because the wound balls used in the 20th century weren't up against the limit.

I agree, not a perfect test. Where'd you get 5.5 yards? The stats I have show 7 yards from 99 to 02'and another 7 from 02' to 03'. 14 yards in a 4 year period is insane. Obviously the driver changed a lot in that time too; 03 was about when they reached the COR limit.

SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

I agree, not a perfect test. Where'd you get 5.5 yards? The stats I have show 7 yards from 99 to 02'and another 7 from 02' to 03'. 14 yards in a 4 year period is insane. Obviously the driver changed a lot in that time too; 03 was about when they reached the COR limit.

I compared driving distance for players who were listed in both years. I know some didn't switch right away, there were a few holdouts who stuck with wound balls, though I got the impression they were largely on the Senior Tour; since I didn't have any way to check who actually switched from wound to solid, I went with the entire tour in each year as my starting point.

I suppose I could have excluded Furyk, who went from Strata to Strata, and amusingly gained a bit over 6 yards. LOL (or O'Meara, also)

The great irony (IMHO)... Tiger spawned the en masse change during 2000, switching to the Tour Accuracy. His driving distance in 2002 was a whopping quarter yard more than in 1999. LOL

COR max was reached a bit earlier. You could argue it was done with the TiSI, since it was the club used to establish the .830 limit. Even if it was "only" .817 or .813 (heard both reported). :) Some of the heads right around 2001 were bumping the limit, lot of discussion at the time.

I've always thought the 2003 spike was due to the beginning of launch monitor usage. I remember getting a bit of time on a monitor when I was still using the Maxfli M3 golfballs, which was right around that time.

Makes sense, I'm just using the average driving average for each year. I also forgot to mention if you expand the window sightly more the distance change is crazy. 20 yards from 97 to 04'. Yikes.

Although, the change for existing players over that time is lower, will have to run the numbers after work to verify that. But I could see how your numbers would be lower if you don't include new blood... Problem on existing players only is I would want to account for aging and some other things. But at that point, it's way more work than it's worth.

Point is, USGA screwed the pooch big time IMO... Driver COR and cc limits should have been set much lower. I don't know enough about ball design, but they could have done something about that too. Oh well, just 25 years too late on it. But I'm quite sure I'd like watching tour players with the old equipment on traditional tracks more than the new stuff.

SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

I might bag my R-90 next week to see what's the fuzz was... But mine has the original grooves in it.

I never "re-groove" with a hand tool to avoid the infraction, not that it matters cause I don't play competition golf. I do have another old Wilson wedge which was obvious to the naked eyes that this one had widened grooves in the bottom 4-5 score lines.

Ok you guys on here know I am the biggest detractor of the USGA on WRX period. After all I did start the Outlaw Golf Association and plainly state at any time "Screw the USGA" and R&A for that matter.

I own 2 R-90s one is pristine and one is battle scarred. Now I know what the USGA says that measurements have to be taken with sospicated equipment etc under a microscope etc. That is their tale I sit on mine. Now I know I have some rudimentary ways of measuring things but from my ways I can not see any difference between the R-90 grooves and my set of 2013 Callaway X forged irons and the Callaway irons are "conforming" according to the USGA.

Like 84425 said a club has to be submitted for approval. If it is not submitted to begin with then it is not on the conforming list. My contention has always been why then if it was legal on the date of manufacture to USGA specs then why is it suddenly illegal? or non conforming. I know when they passed the rule it caused a lot of stir in this area on the Mini Tours. There was actually a guy down here that talked to a lot of us. I had him look at a beloved 252 Vokey 60 that I carried for years. He told me that it was so worn that he could not measure it. He told me if I could find a pristine model then it could be measured. Foot Note here most of the mini tours delayed the implementation of the rule for 2 years because as the director of the Sunbelt Senior Tour stated most of us were not on a club contract and could not afford to replace wedges

Now just because a submitted model is tested and approved does not mean all of the clubs of that type are legal. One WRXer from South Carolina can tell you the story on that with a set of Vega irons. If he pops up on here maybe he can and will give the details.

Now in the case of Joanne Carner I can see a couple of things and trying to be as objective as possible which is hard for me to do with any bonehead thing the USGA is involved in.

One the wedge has never been submitted and approved

Second it may have been regrooved at several times over it's life in fact if she has had it for 30 plus years I am sure of it.

I know some of the folks in the story section made some rude comments. Now remember she is 79 years old and has not played comp in decades so she may have honesty not given it any thought. I also thought the Legends part of this was really a separate thing and mainly an exhibition Now another question I have is why was she singled out and mentioned and the other equipment violations were not for other players? Yeah rules are rules and supposed to keep things fair but IMHO this whole thing is absurd. This is my take on the whole thing FWIW

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I might bag my R-90 next week to see what's the fuzz was... But mine has the original grooves in it.

I never "re-groove" with a hand tool to avoid the infraction, not that it matters cause I don't play competition golf. I do have another old Wilson wedge which was obvious to the naked eyes that this one had widened grooves in the bottom 4-5 score lines.

Since you said that I went out to my building and got one of my R-90s and it will get played with the vintage clubs this weekend which will include the 1958 Mac Diamondbacks which I presume are also non conforming----- Hey what a way to poke the middle finger at the USGA----

This is why the groove rule is such a travesty. This club in question is truly one of the most historic clubs in the history of the game, it has been used to win many tour events around the world for over 40 years. It has been in the bag of one of the greatest female players of all time for over 30 years, Nicklaus used one for a while, as did many of the other greats, it is now illegal to use in a USGA event? THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

The groove rule is the dumbest thing the USGA ever did. That and letting driver tech get out of control, especially since it really only benefits the long hitters and makes them exponentially longer while the average guy picked up very little. The pros are a very small percentage of who plays the game, why don't we think about the masses?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

This is why the groove rule is such a travesty. This club in question is truly one of the most historic clubs in the history of the game, it has been used to win many tour events around the world for over 40 years. It has been in the bag of one of the greatest female players of all time for over 30 years, Nicklaus used one for a while, as did many of the other greats, it is now illegal to use in a USGA event? THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

The groove rule is the dumbest thing the USGA ever did. That and letting driver tech get out of control, especially since it really only benefits the long hitters and makes them exponentially longer while the average guy picked up very little. The pros are a very small percentage of who plays the game, why don't we think about the masses?

I agree with you 110%--- And I will tell you something else--- I can spin the modern conforming wedges with a modern ball maybe better than I could a R-90 with a balata ball.