Golf Ball Recommendation for 73 Year Old, High Handicap Golfer, need distance

Kazfury

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's just playing to have fun and enjoy the course (not USGA sanctioned tourneys, etc) - the MG Senior ball would be helpful for him.

We've got an older gentleman at the club that had a heart attack in his 80s and just can't swing very hard. He went from about 150 yards to 165 with driver by trying the senior ball.

Again, not for competition - but if he's looking to get a little distance back, check out the MG senior.

Not sure of your friend's swing speed but I am 66 and have an 88 mph driver swing speed for reference purposes. I drive balls like the Supersoft and Softfli longer than most probably due to additional rollout. For balls almost as long but a bit better on the green I would recommend the Gamer Soft, DT Trusoft, or e6 Soft.

Titleist Velocity

ATTENTION:  Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice. 

Ping G425 Max / Testing G430 Max 10k

Titleist u505  2 Iron /

Titleist 704.CB 3-PW Irons / Testing PXG 0211st 5 - W Irons

Titleist Wedges-S Grind /

SeeMore M7x 

Wilson Duo.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Golf balls pretty much all go the same distance so it's more of a preference between a soft feeling golf ball or a firmer ball. Balls with a urethane cover will stop better on the greens but cost more.

The GamerSoft is a great value ball. As long as anything else I've played with, great feel, and decent around the greens. Durable, too.

If you're approach shots run over the green and don't hold or if you have a low ball flight I'd look at a ball with a urethane cover for more stopping power. (I say this because my dad is about your age and he plays on hard greens so he has come to really like the Srixon Z Star).

With today’s class of balls I don’t find any appreciable difference in distance. If a given hole plays driver/7 iron with a ProV1 it probably will with a Velocity also. My take is if you aren’t reaching par 4’s in two and still have 10 to 30 yards into the green a urethane ball will help you more than any small distance gain from a two-piece ball.

Wilson Duo and 50/50 elite are both good and the Titleist DT Trusoft is nice also.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

With today's class of balls I don't find any appreciable difference in distance. If a given hole plays driver/7 iron with a ProV1 it probably will with a Velocity also. My take is if you aren't reaching par 4's in two and still have 10 to 30 yards into the green a urethane ball will help you more than any small distance gain from a two-piece ball.

I'm 70 and not a long hitter. This describes my game to a T. I play the Snell MTB (original, not red or black) and it really helps on that shot that I need to get close to the pin because I'm one over GIR.

Golf balls pretty much all go the same distance so it's more of a preference between a soft feeling golf ball or a firmer ball. Balls with a urethane cover will stop better on the greens but cost more.

The GamerSoft is a great value ball. As long as anything else I've played with, great feel, and decent around the greens. Durable, too.

If you're approach shots run over the green and don't hold or if you have a low ball flight I'd look at a ball with a urethane cover for more stopping power. (I say this because my dad is about your age and he plays on hard greens so he has come to really like the Srixon Z Star).

Your post is confusing. You start by stating that all balls go the same distance. But then later say that the Gamet Soft is “as long as anything else I’ve played,” which implies that there are some balls that don’t go as long as anything you’ve played. But if what you meant was that it goes as long as anything you’ve played along with every other ball (as expected), then stating that it goes “as long as anything you’ve played” is redundant.

Your post is confusing. You start by stating that all balls go the same distance. But then later say that the Gamet Soft is "as long as anything else I've played," which implies that there are some balls that don't go as long as anything you've played. But if what you meant was that it goes as long as anything you've played along with every other ball (as expected), then stating that it goes "as long as anything you've played" is redundant.

Fair point. Given Top Flite's stigma/reptuation for making cheap/rock hard balls, I wanted to convey that for the price, one still gets a high-performing ball in the soft/non-urethane category with the GamerSoft and not a "shorter" ball just because of the lower price.

I've played it extensively and it flat out performs and on blow-out specials it's tough to beat for less than a buck a ball.

Another ball worth considering that I didn't list above because I never tried it til the other day is the Topflight Gamer (just Gamer, not soft, tour, etc). I bought some to try since Dick's has them cheap, about $7.50 a dozen and I have to say they are not bad. They are not the old Rockflights from like 10 years or so. These are actually a decent 3 piece ball.

I'm approaching 70, suffering from far too many past athletic injuries, a +/- 23 handicap, 80 mph driver swing speed, and just happy to still be playing. I have tried just about every low compression ball available. I kept coming back to the Supersoft as my go to ball for over three years. That said, I just switched to the Wilson duo optix balls. I find that the colors are well suited to my aging eye sight both in flight and on the ground (use red, orange, or yellow depending on conditions) . The ball flight (for me) is higher without sacrificing any distance. The softness of the ball is noticeable (it actually feels softer than the supersoft!). I have been consistently diving the ball 10 to 15 yards longer with it and usually straighter too. I'd highly recommend it to the swing speed challenged looking for a nice ball at a nice price point as well. PS it's surprisingly durable as well.

If he's just playing to have fun and enjoy the course (not USGA sanctioned tourneys, etc) - the MG Senior ball would be helpful for him.

We've got an older gentleman at the club that had a heart attack in his 80s and just can't swing very hard. He went from about 150 yards to 165 with driver by trying the senior ball.

Again, not for competition - but if he's looking to get a little distance back, check out the MG senior.

I agree. That ball is stupid long, even for some higher speed players.

I've played the Sr Ball and do not see any benefit compared to a Velocity. Not sure what the buzz is all about. Seems like a marketing gimick. I will say it's a nice two piece yellow distance ball. Nothing wrong with that - just call it what it is.

Would say it comes down to whether they like the feel of a real soft ball. You've had a lot of recommendations for Supersoft, but if he's not necessarily looking for that real soft feel, the new DT TruSoft performs as good as any ball I've played recently tee to green, and is a great value. Longer off the tee for me personally than any ball I've tried regardless of price.

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

I've played the Sr Ball and do not see any benefit compared to a Velocity. Not sure what the buzz is all about. Seems like a marketing gimick. I will say it's a nice two piece yellow distance ball. Nothing wrong with that - just call it what it is.

We did a test on all the relevant non conforming balls on the market and some players saw up to 4mph increase in ball speed with it as well as very low spin rates. If you can get the ball up in the air off the tee, you should see some benefits. It's pretty consistently 8-14 yards longer than most regulation golf balls at launch angles of at least 12-13 degrees. Test done by all scratch or better players 105-125 swing speed.