2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Chiropractic and golf

Tanner25

What is your issue exactly? It can help depending on what you have going on, but there are no miracles out there.

Low back pain, have it after a skiing accident, 30 years ago, it hasn't been the same since.

I have compression in my lower lumbar. I use a True Back, and when I have more space at home (I don't currently) I use an inversion table. This has kept me from going to a chiro for the last 15 years. When I have issues, I get on the True Back...uncomfortable as hell, but it helps stretch out the spine. My ideal routine was 10 minutes on True Back, 10 minutes on inversion table.

Blogging about all things golf on my blog at [url="https://www.scottcolegolf.com"]Scott Cole Golf[/url]. Will be getting back to teaching part time in 2019!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. If you are overweight or obese, lose weight as soon as you can

2. Don't sit all day. Get up and move. Have stretching routines you complete throughout the day.

3. Chiro's specializing in sports injuries and certified in ART (Active Release Therapy) is what I would see (http://www.activerelease.com/find-a-provider.asp)

4. Buy the McKenzie book "Treat your own back" and do those stretches. Let these stretches be the baseline for what you do in #2 above

https://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Back-Robin-McKenzie/dp/0987650408/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531481953&sr=8-1&keywords=treat+your+own+back

5. Move towards a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle

6. Get into Yoga

My good friend has a doctorate in Physical Therapy and Chiro. He owns his own practice and has 7 or 8 other doctors working there. He said he would lose 85% of his patients if everyone lost weight and started Yoga (or a stretching routine).

Just googled "medical deaths per year". I actually underestimated. According to John's Hopkins, the figure is more like 250K per year. Right there on page one.

Anyway, thanks for the debate and play well.

Nick

yea, a lot of these deaths are not attributed directly the care provided by an MD,. Just like with spinal manipulation where 26 documented cases are attributed to death and many others not documented, the most famous being that young mother Katie May.

Find another Chiropractor, their methods can vary amongst each other. Worst Chiro experience I had was a 'team' physician for a local minor league Hockey team. My symptoms got worse when I saw him. Best experience I had is a local guy that is a golfer himself. Good ones can help tremendously.

He gave me some lasting advice, when you finish rounds or range ... take opposite side swings 8-10x and hold the finish just as you would on the course. Have to activate the muscles on non-dominant side of your spine, counter balance.

The list of major championship winning golfers that suscessfully incorporate chiropractic is too long to list. Traditional medical doctors don’t understand how to manage the musculoskeletal problems golfers encounter on a daily basis. I haven’t met an osteopath that actually even practices any musculoskeletal techniques and are nothing more than pill pushers like their MD counterparts. Places like TPI are founded and revolve around the knowledge of chiropractors and their application of technique. Like searching for any other health professional part of the responsibility is on the patient to find the right practitioner. There are no shortage of chiropractors that deal with golf related movement but you have to find them they won’t beat a path to your door.

Just googled "medical deaths per year". I actually underestimated. According to John's Hopkins, the figure is more like 250K per year. Right there on page one.

Nick

yea, a lot of these deaths are not attributed directly the care provided by an MD,. Just like with spinal manipulation where 26 documented cases are attributed to death and many others not documented, the most famous being that young mother Katie May.

All 250K deaths PER YEAR were attributed to medical care. 26 deaths attributed to chiropractic care over the last 100+ years. Quite the comparison. As a comparison, 15K people die a year from taking aspirin and 22 people die a year from being stepped on by cows.

Katie May was shown to have pre-existing coronary artery disease via autopsy. If she bent her head over backwards over a hair salon sink, sh may have stroked out

Nick

All 250K deaths PER YEAR were attributed to medical care. 26 deaths attributed to chiropractic care over the last 100+ years. Quite the comparison. As a comparison, 15K people die a year from taking aspirin and 22 people die a year from being stepped on by cows.

Katie May was shown to have pre-existing coronary artery disease via autopsy. If she bent her head over backwards over a hair salon sink, sh may have stroked out

her death certificate says what the cause of death was......

if ANY therapy results in death, its not good...including DC work. Surgery vs spinal manipulation is not an apples to apples comparison so the argument isn't even valid.

Keep making people feel better. that's the good in all this....hit em straight

Nick

her death certificate says what the cause of death was......

if ANY therapy results in death, its not good...including DC work. Surgery vs spinal manipulation is not an apples to apples comparison so the argument isn't even valid.

Keep making people feel better. that's the good in all this....hit em straight

You too! Great chatting with you!

2. Don't sit all day. Get up and move. Have stretching routines you complete throughout the day.

3. Chiro's specializing in sports injuries and certified in ART (Active Release Therapy) is what I would see (http://www.activerelease.com/find-a-provider.asp)

4. Buy the McKenzie book "Treat your own back" and do those stretches. Let these stretches be the baseline for what you do in #2 above

https://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Back-Robin-McKenzie/dp/0987650408/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531481953&sr=8-1&keywords=treat+your+own+back

6. Get into Yoga

My good friend has a doctorate in Physical Therapy and Chiro. He owns his own practice and has 7 or 8 other doctors working there. He said he would lose 85% of his patients if everyone lost weight and started Yoga (or a stretching routine).

#5 helps the back how?

I think chiropractors are a lot like golf pros. It isn't always easy to find a good one, but a really good one can help tremendously. Some are just better than others at fixing issues.

Great analogy. I would recommend an Applied Kinesiologist over a chiro, same thing but I like the way the AP's work. I remember a 60 Minutes undercover show on chiropractic and how they teach their students to claim they can cure anything and always tell people they need 3x a week visits for a month, then 2x for a month,etc to maximize there earnings. It was one of the chiro schools where students opened offices called "Life Centers". This goes back 30 years

So I have a back problem and this guy at a "Life Center" offers free first visit, so I figure what the heck. Sure enough he says I need 3x week, blah, blah. I felt good after one treatment and never went back. Wouldn't try one again until I got an endorsement from a friend about an AP who did wonders for him. This guy was great, no pressure, just "Come see me when you feel the need" which for me was once every 6 months.

I played tons of basketball back then and hurt my shoulder. Couldn't lift it over my head. Regular Dr. gave me pills, then PT then wanted to do a cortisone shot, all this over weeks time. I happened to mention it to the AP when I was there (still didn't realize they did more than backs at that time) he dug around in the shoulder with his fingers and I left pain free. Played basketball the next day. So they work if you get a good one.

6. Get into Yoga

#5 helps the back how?

I’m sure he thinks it has to do with inflammation. The reality in my opinion, is you can be a unhealthy vegetarian as well or a healthy omnivores. Research foods that reduce inflammation, meat isn’t necessarily the issue, usually carbs,sugars and processed junk is.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

6. Get into Yoga

#5 helps the back how?

I’m sure he thinks it has to do with inflammation. The reality in my opinion, is you can be a unhealthy vegetarian as well or a healthy omnivores. Research foods that reduce inflammation, meat isn’t necessarily the issue, usually carbs,sugars and processed junk is.

Eat your spinach like popeye does and you are guaranteed to start flying the ball 335 (uphill into the wind).

Overall heAlth is the driver behind being a vegan. Healthiest way to eat.

Consider finding a Primary Care Provider that is a DO. Physicians that are DOs can do manipulations similar to what chiropractors do, but with all of the medical training that MDs have. Some DOs will do acupuncture and cupping too. I would recommend doing some research on some DOs in your area and call to make sure they have procedure slots for manipulations. Much better IMO to have a physician make your adjustments, especially one that treats the whole body.

Buldged l1-l2, l2-l3, l4-l5, and T5-T6 (worst of the 4). Multiple therapists have disenrolled me due to negative effects. Chiro keeps me from having to take meds and upright enough to play a decent amount of golf.

I’ve seen both chiros and DO’s, and both were able to help with the same methods, really don’t care which one I see as long as they keep me going.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I injured mine framing a house, just some heavy lifting I wasn't prepared for 2 weeks ago. Golf makes it worse. There is one vertebrae that is very tender to touch and my whole back feels stiff. No muscle tension in glutes or hamstrings and no nerve pain luckily. I called everyone I knew and got a referral to a very well known Chiro who handles some big name clients. My appointment is this afternoon. So I will post the results later. This is my first non muscle related back injury so I'm nervous, but I'm hoping a chiro can help.

Morning folks!

I'm a Chiro in private practice for 32 years. My office is 500 yards from a top private country club here in Virginia. I've attended and taught sports related and golf specific injury seminars over the last 20 years and have treated PGA (when they were at Kingsmill), LPGA, Senior Tour, Web.com players NFL, and was one of the chiros chosen for the US Olympic team ( couldn't do it cause if the time commitment) over the years, not to mention all the club guys.

Chiropractic works depending on your issue. Range of motion can be increased and pre and post round pain patterns can be managed. Whereas the golf swing SHOULD BE a thoracic spine turn back and thru, most people are turning with their lumbar spines. This leads to injury.

To the OP, find a doc that's been in practice for at least 10-15 years who has studied and has extensive experience with sports injuries. Also, please be aware that a 30 year old injury can not be "cured" but only managed. Life, work, sitting, golf, and age all compound an injury that " has never felt the same after 30 years" and has never been effectively treated.

All your major athletes and sports teams use chiropractic with staff chiropractors. Tiger, Phil, Dustin, etc. Zac Johnson's dad is a chiropractor.

Like all professions, there are good and bad out there. Find a good one. Palmer graduate. I think you'll be happy.

Nick

Nick

I have been seeing a Chiro for 30+ years. Started with some back pain, now it is just regular 2 week adjustments.

First Chiro I visited was great, but unfortunately he retired. Then saw a few different ones, mostly because they were in then out of network.

Now I see a young Chiro, who with his wife have a practice. They both use the Palmer method. Don't know if it helps my golf game , but I am pain free

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids
Odyssey White Hot RX 7 putter

Maxfli tour S

Morning folks!

I'm a Chiro in private practice for 32 years. My office is 500 yards from a top private country club here in Virginia. I've attended and taught sports related and golf specific injury seminars over the last 20 years and have treated PGA (when they were at Kingsmill), LPGA, Senior Tour, Web.com players NFL, and was one of the chiros chosen for the US Olympic team ( couldn't do it cause if the time commitment) over the years, not to mention all the club guys.

Chiropractic works depending on your issue. Range of motion can be increased and pre and post round pain patterns can be managed. Whereas the golf swing SHOULD BE a thoracic spine turn back and thru, most people are turning with their lumbar spines. This leads to injury.

To the OP, find a doc that's been in practice for at least 10-15 years who has studied and has extensive experience with sports injuries. Also, please be aware that a 30 year old injury can not be "cured" but only managed. Life, work, sitting, golf, and age all compound an injury that " has never felt the same after 30 years" and has never been effectively treated.

All your major athletes and sports teams use chiropractic with staff chiropractors. Tiger, Phil, Dustin, etc. Zac Johnson's dad is a chiropractor.

Like all professions, there are good and bad out there. Find a good one. Palmer graduate. I think you'll be happy.

Nick

Nick

I have been seeing a Chiro for 30+ years. Started with some back pain, now it is just regular 2 week adjustments.

First Chiro I visited was great, but unfortunately he retired. Then saw a few different ones, mostly because they were in then out of network.

Now I see a young Chiro, who with his wife have a practice. They both use the Palmer method. Don't know if it helps my golf game , but I am pain free

Isn’t pain free the goal?

Morning folks!

Nick

Nick

Isn't pain free the goal?

exactly

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids

Maxfli tour S

One benefit of going through The Joint Chiro is you get to experiment with different chiro's location. Had a much better experience this week with a new chriro who helped with exercises given and some simple tips on how to bend and lift etc.

I went through this when I first started umpiring high school baseball. My lower back started to hurt. My Chiro asked me what I was doing different.I mentioned that baseball season had started. He asked me to show him my plate stance. He changed it, and I haved used that stance since.

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids

Maxfli tour S

Are we really listening to a chiro lol? Like if you wanted to help people, be smart enough to get into med school. If you can’t, become an insurance salesman or something. That’s basically what a chiro is anyway. Didn’t the founder say that someone beyond the grave taught him chiro?

An ignorant post.

This is the same sort of thing that the Mayo Clinic was preaching 35 years ago. Now the Mayo system employs chiropractors (not to mention acupuncturists and other alternative therapy practitioners). Is there a more evidence/science-based clinical practice anywhere on the planet? I think not. Get out of the stone ages friend. ;-)

If a person has the right sort of problem chiropractic is a good choice. And what is the right sort of problem? As far as I am concerned, we really don’t know until we try. For me, my problems have variously responded well to acupuncture, deep tissue massage, chiropractic, strengthening, stretching, injections, and often a combination. I have had little luck in the past with medical doctors and pills. Back pain can be complex; it is not well understood, even in the modern world. We can have a perfect scan and intense back pain. We can have bulging discs and no pain. About all that we have at this point is trial and error - no practitioner can ensure results ahead of time.

Personally, I try to go to a chiropractor for my back problems weekly, and I have had good success, in combination with keeping fit and doing regular stretching and strengthening exercises. I do not have good luck with chiropractors who use activators. I have the best luck with the old fashioned mechanical adjustments. I have changed from a rotary swing to the Ballard method, and it has helped me a lot. I am 74, play to a 5 handicap, and haven’t missed a day of golf due to a sore back in several years. I am religious about exercise, walking the golf course, and keeping the weight off. In the past, like most people, I would stop doing what I should do when my back felt better. No more. I now understand that the best way to keep swinging is to keep up the back conditioning program.

So, spinedoc, I am a snowbird and have an excellent chiro up north here. I am frustrated that I cannot find a chiro in Phoenix who does as well as the one up here. I want mechanical adjustments, and precise ones. If you were me, how would you go about finding a good doc?

Are we really listening to a chiro lol? Like if you wanted to help people, be smart enough to get into med school. If you can’t, become an insurance salesman or something. That’s basically what a chiro is anyway. Didn’t the founder say that someone beyond the grave taught him chiro?

An ignorant post.

This is the same sort of thing that the Mayo Clinic was preaching 35 years ago. Now the Mayo system employs chiropractors (not to mention acupuncturists and other alternative therapy practitioners). Is there a more evidence/science-based clinical practice anywhere on the planet? I think not. Get out of the stone ages friend. ;-)

If a person has the right sort of problem chiropractic is a good choice. And what is the right sort of problem? As far as I am concerned, we really don’t know until we try. For me, my problems have variously responded well to acupuncture, deep tissue massage, chiropractic, strengthening, stretching, injections, and often a combination. I have had little luck in the past with medical doctors and pills. Back pain can be complex; it is not well understood, even in the modern world. We can have a perfect scan and intense back pain. We can have bulging discs and no pain. About all that we have at this point is trial and error - no practitioner can ensure results ahead of time.

Personally, I try to go to a chiropractor for my back problems weekly, and I have had good success, in combination with keeping fit and doing regular stretching and strengthening exercises. I do not have good luck with chiropractors who use activators. I have the best luck with the old fashioned mechanical adjustments. I have changed from a rotary swing to the Ballard method, and it has helped me a lot. I am 74, play to a 5 handicap, and haven’t missed a day of golf due to a sore back in several years. I am religious about exercise, walking the golf course, and keeping the weight off. In the past, like most people, I would stop doing what I should do when my back felt better. No more. I now understand that the best way to keep swinging is to keep up the back conditioning program.

So, spinedoc, I am a snowbird and have an excellent chiro up north here. I am frustrated that I cannot find a chiro in Phoenix who does as well as the one up here. I want mechanical adjustments, and precise ones. If you were me, how would you go about finding a good doc?

Hey Torbill

Great to hear that chiropractic has helped with your back, health, and has hopefully been a factor in achieving and maintaining a 5 HCP.

Find a doc in Phoenix who went to Palmer Chiropractic and has been in practice for 15-20 years. Ask if they do either Diversified, Gondsted, or the Palmer Package technique. Any receptionist can answer these questions over the phone and if not, will get the Doctor on the line.

You may find that the younger guys may be a bit “gun shy” about getting physical with a 74 year old, so they use Activator.

Palmer grads are mechanical AND precise. Been doing it that way for 32 years. Funny thing is that given the choice of Actuvator or being “beat up”, most people prefer the latter.

Hope that helps!

Stay and play well!

Nick