512 yard eagle stirred up some anger

Mikey5e

I play a 13.5 degree three wood which I can regularly hit 265-275 (that includes rollout). So I usually wait on par 5s. I don't ever wanna risk hitting into someone if even by accident. Although bc I feel pressure to keep up pace of play I typically lay up. Plus for my game I'll much rather layup and forego the eagle attempt and essentially guarantee nothing worse than 6.

I agree with some folks above that although you weren't intending to be a dbag that it would still be aggravating to be hit into a second time. I'm not a violent rage type of guy but what I'll do when I'm hit into is take a tee outta my pocket and place their ball on it, just as a friendly reminder.

Titleist TS3, Evenflow stiff, 9.5, A1
Callaway Rouge SZ w/AD-DI 7x, 13.5*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid 18*
Titleist AP3 718 4-pw (weakened 2*)
Bettinardi Studio 28 Arm Lock
Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Titleist ProV1x (2017)

I have thrown balls into the woods before and would immediately deposit yours in the woods if I was in that group. Intentionally or unintentionally there's no excuse for hitting into the group in front of you.

Then your an idiot.

A ball gently rolling on to a green on a par 5 which is clearly a 2nd shot is not dangerous, i would have apologised when i walked up to the green, issue over

Now if it pitched the green or raced through the green, then that's a different story!

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

If your intent was to hit a good shot (enough to get on or close) and you were capable of hitting that shot (that could possibly get on or close), and it was entirely your decision to wait or take the shot, you should have waited. Waiting an extra 3-4 minutes for the green to clear on a short hole is not too much to ask.

My salty opinion: Your impatience and bravado (not your golf shot) caused the issue.

The guys on the green had nothing to do with your decision.

Next case, please.

If your intent was to hit a good shot (enough to get on or close) and you were capable of hitting that shot (that could possibly get on or close), and it was entirely your decision to wait or take the shot, you should have waited. Waiting an extra 3-4 minutes for the green to clear on a short hole is not too much to ask.

My salty opinion: Your impatience and bravado (not your golf shot) caused the issue.

Next case, please.

And then someone playing behind him will come on here saying "this really slow player waiting for the green to clear from 260 out, you're 260 out man just hit the ball already!"

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

Next case, please.

And then someone playing behind him will come on here saying "this really slow player waiting for the green to clear from 260 out, you're 260 out man just hit the ball already!"

A friend of mine was in Arizona and playing some golf. He had 265 to the hole and was waiting for the green to clear. A marshal comes roaring up and tells him he needs to move it along. My friend said there were still people on the green and the marshal scoffed and told him there was no way he was going to reach them and to take his shot. He replaced his wood with a 3-hybrid, took the shot, and the ball rolled onto the green. The marshal didn't say a word and took off.

Next case, please.

A friend of mine was in Arizona and playing some golf. He had 265 to the hole and was waiting for the green to clear. A marshal comes roaring up and tells him he needs to move it along. My friend said there were still people on the green and the marshal scoffed and told him there was no way he was going to reach them and to take his shot. He replaced his wood with a 3-hybrid, took the shot, and the ball rolled onto the green. The marshal didn't say a word and took off.

And that's the problem, we cant have it both ways, either we tolerate people taking their time and stop moaning about slow play, or we are more tolerant to players when they hit a really good shot and accidentally have a ball roll up to the green when your still putting

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

Next case, please.

And that's the problem, we cant have it both ways, either we tolerate people taking their time and stop moaning about slow play, or we are more tolerant to players when they hit a really good shot and accidentally have a ball roll up to the green when your still putting

Once can be considered an accident, twice is on purpose.

Funnily enough this happened to me a couple of years ago. SI 1 par 4 (mainly because it's 430 yards uphill I think). No way does any double digit handicapper reach the green in two. I was playing solo and following a group who vaguely knew me and had told me they'd let me through at the next hole which is a par 3. As they walked onto the green they saw me at the bottom of the hill and waved me up. I proceeded to hit the best 3 hybrid shot of my life which somehow made it far enough (probably 220 yards) up the hill to roll into the middle of them as they were putting.

I was mortified but they all thought it was funny and took the blame for inviting me to shoot. None of us thought I had a cat in hell's chance of getting within fifty yards of the green, let alone be accurate enough to reach the green.

But on the flip side I can also attest through second hand experience that a rolling golf ball can be quite painful if it hits your ankle. So amusing and impressive though that shot was I am now very much more careful not to chance my luck.

Next case, please.

Once can be considered an accident, twice is on purpose.

I think there's a difference in making a bad decision and doing something on purpose. When you say it was on purpose it insinuate it being intentional. There was no intention of hitting into the people in front of me, it was just a errant choice on my part not to wait for them to clear the green. This extra distance I have been getting is new to me, because I just changed my swing up. I think from now on I will choose to lay up when the course is full so I won't interfere with the group in front of me or the groups behind me.

If I think I can get it close to the green I will wait for it to clear. If you land close a lot of times it is audible and could distrupt a person putting.If its laying up well back 80-100 yards go ahead and lay up.That is just how I feel. I have had a yardage that I did not think I could get it close at all and reached the green and like yourself I went up to the green and apologized.

I think it's really pretty simple. If you've gotten close to a group already in a round, then from there on you become overly cautious . You don't want another ball getting anywhere close to them again.

So if your best ever 3 wood is 250, and your still 275 out, you still wait (or better yet, at that point maybe just lay up).

Just don't let the same mistake happen again.

Next case, please.

I'll bet the Fred didn't learn his lesson either. Probably couldn't see far enough to see your friends ball roll onto the green and then went on his ignorant way thinking he was right.

There is never an excuse to hit into a group, something you would know that if you've ever been hit by someone else's foul ball.

You hit a low bullet on a firm course, knew the ball was going to have a chance to release that far.

I would've marked your shot on the green, got my sharpie out and wrote "FAQ" in the largest letters possible.

Re: I think there's a difference in making a bad decision and doing something on purpose. When you say it was on purpose it insinuate it being intentional. There was no intention of hitting into the people in front of me, it was just a errant choice on my part not to wait for them to clear the green. This extra distance I have been getting is new to me, because I just changed my swing up. I think from now on I will choose to lay up when the course is full so I won't interfere with the group in front of me or the groups behind me.

Errant choice - what the heck is that? Is that the way "bad decisions" are described in 2018?

What do you call a "good decision" - a compliant choice?

Bottom line:

You made two bad decisions

1. trying to showboat by getting on in two when you clearly could have waited

2. posting and showboating about how determined you were to make the putt after hitting into the group on the green

Re: I think there's a difference in making a bad decision and doing something on purpose. When you say it was on purpose it insinuate it being intentional. There was no intention of hitting into the people in front of me, it was just a errant choice on my part not to wait for them to clear the green. This extra distance I have been getting is new to me, because I just changed my swing up. I think from now on I will choose to lay up when the course is full so I won't interfere with the group in front of me or the groups behind me.

Errant choice - what the heck is that? Is that the way "bad decisions" are described in 2018?

Bottom line:

2. posting and showboating about how determined you were to make the putt after hitting into the group on the green

There wasn't any showboating, going on, just didn't realize my distance capabilities. I made recent swing changes the seem to have added considerable distance to my shots. Also, the ground was very dry. Upon arriving at the green, this is the interaction that went on:

1) Guy points at my ball to identify it.

2) I immediately apologize 2 times.

3) Same guy comments "dont you realize how far you can hit the ball?"

4) No, I was about 260 out and couldn't see the green because trees I had to draw the ball around, 170 yds up. Say sorry, 3rd time.

5) Guy walks away angry, in disbelief (no prob with me).

6) Another guy says,"great shot, though"!

7) Two others quietly walked to the next tee not showing any emotion.

8) Despite all this, yes, I was determined to make that putt, and did!

8) Moral of the story, don't let an eagle chance slip away! JK, don't hit up with even with a remote chance of hitting into someboby.

9) There was no intention, just accident.

Next case, please.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is always the downside of waiting, isn't it ?

Group on the tee can see you there waiting beside your drive. Guy shoots you and gets 260 out, 260 remaining and even while knowing it's a really good drive sees you waiting and whoof, you hit a sidewinder, chili dip or skull it 150 yards.

What's a moron to do ? :pardon:

Well, this moron waits anyway - better to be sniggered at than hurt somebody, intent notwithstanding.

Bottom line:

There wasn't any showboating, going on, just didn't realize my distance capabilities. I made recent swing changes the seem to have added considerable distance to my shots. Also, the ground was very dry. Upon arriving at the green, this is the interaction that went on:

4) No, I was about 260 out and couldn't see the green because trees I had to draw the ball around, 170 yds up. Say sorry, 3rd time.

8) Moral of the story, don't let an eagle chance slip away! JK, don't hit up with even with a remote chance of hitting into someboby.

Ping. deadsolid...shank. :yes:

Well Mikey, ya got the moral of the story correct and that's the main thing. :good:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Bottom line:

Had you been a 12-15 HC and tagged a 3 wood from 260 and it rolled on - no biggie.

In other words, the percentages would not be in your favor.

However, you're a declared 3 HC from Ohio and the percentages were in your favor, as was the intent to hit the green.

In other words, you had the club to get there and you tried to make the shot so you could approach the green "riding high in the saddle."

I have a friend in his 70s whose average drive is no more than 200 yards once get on the green of a shorter downhill par 5 in 2. After hitting probably his best drive in the last 20 years (downhill, downwind), the second shot was a low runner with a lot of topspin that probably rolled the last 100 yards. The people on the green ahead were all ticked off even though he yelled fore. I don't think anyone has ever been injured by the last 10 yards of roll on a ball. I would not expect my friend to wait for the green to clear from 250 yards out every time now.

First time - No big deal, it happens. Misjudge a shot, misjudge where people are, etc... it happens. No biggie.

Second time - Yeah I'm annoyed now. Pay a little more attention.

I have a general rule where if I am planning to put one anywhere in the vicinity of the green, I am waiting. So if I am say 280 out and I know I can hit my 3w 260 off the deck but ultimately can't reach the green without some fortuitous bounce, I am going to wait. There's no reason to roll one up to a bunker or just short of the green while people are putting. A funny bounce off a ridge, a wind gust, etc and all of the sudden you've hit into the group. That's too close for my liking.

If you came up and apologized, I wouldn't make a big deal about it and would have said 'no worries' but if you do it a 3rd time I may lose my mind. Theres really no reason or even excuse to hit into someone on a green.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5