Your favorite driver shaft

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 YO.

Mitsubishi Bassarra 42gm Ladies flex.

Playing at 37" in a Cally XR16 13.5* head...turned up to 15.5*.

Dude pounds the ball.

Nice, how did you come up with that combo? I’ve always heard most using Flynn or Recoil. My 7 yo just moved from a 34” Flynn JR1 to 36” JR2. Still not feeling it’s the best combo , looking for other options also. Uses XR 16 13.5*

What were yu using before and how does it compare? Did you try anything else?

I've used a Cobra 39" shaft cut down to 36" when my son was 8 year old, and found it a bit stiff.

Perhaps you can try this route?

I like this idea. I think I will take him into the local golf mart and hookup his Fly-Z+ head to a 41" Cobra Junior F7 shaft they have there and do some tests. Every kids swing is different, but I think he could benefit from a slightly stiffer shaft (certainly stiffer than the whip he has today).

7 YO.

Dude pounds the ball.

I'm also interested in how you came to that combination. Can you comment on carry and total yardage your son is getting? My 7YO swing speed is 60-62mph right now and we are getting 140-150 yards total with Fly-Z+ head (no weight installed) turned up to its max of 11.5*. Yes, that 11.5* is a little strong.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

7 YO.

Dude pounds the ball.

Nice, how did you come up with that combo? I’ve always heard most using Flynn or Recoil. My 7 yo just moved from a 34” Flynn JR1 to 36” JR2. Still not feeling it’s the best combo , looking for other options also. Uses XR 16 13.5*

What were yu using before and how does it compare? Did you try anything else?

Good questions.

He was using a US Kids stick and/or a PING Moxie beforehand. He really wanted to move from USK 48" to USK 51" (I'd already bought the orange USK 51" and they were in the garage). I told him he could move up to the USK 51" if he progressed to the next level in our Junior Development Program. Funny how certain things motivate them.

When he made the switch from USK 48" to 51" clubs, I took him in to visit my clufitter, and he hit the 51" irons just fine (with a small lie angle adjustment).

I mentioned to my clufitter that I understood the USK Drivers weren't titanium, and he essentially said they weren't very good. He fits a fair amount of Juniors and he mentioned that real-deal OEM Drivers would give my dude extra yardage off the tee. He said that an A flex shaft is probably too much for him right now, and to stick with a Ladies flex. I admittady know more than I should about golf gear (look at my BST feedback here), so I went to work researching different combos.

The Cally XR16 head is one of the lightest OEM heads on the market. Also, the Mitsubishi Bassara has a tip-soft / high launching profile (and 42gm is on the lighter side of OEM shafts). So, I ordered a pre-owned 13.5* XR16 from 3Balls, and the Bassara from the bay, and built it up for him (Karma undersize grip).

For reference, when we are at the range, he'll hit it past the 150 yard marker. That's with roll, and on dry Texas turf. When he is teeing off from the 150yd marker when playing the course, he usually ends up right around the front of the green.

So, distance is there, and I've got him in something he can grow into for a few years. All I have to do is swap shafts once he begons to overpower the Bassara.

Good feedback. Thank you. How about ball flight? We’re having a problem with too high ball flight, too little roll out. His swing has changed a bit more to a LTR for some reason with his driver so that doesn’t help, but he still hits his 3w fine with a nice straight or baby draw flight that rolls out nicely. With roll out it’s usualiy right they’re with his average driver distance total, so I know there is more to be had with the Driver. The new Flynn JR2 has helped some, but still doesn’t look optimal.

How long was the lady shaft (total club ) before you too LL it down to to(total club) 37”. I’ve never been clear on the effect on stiffness and playability of cutting down a shaft to a small junior size- seems anything more than a few inches would really impact.

Good feedback. Thank you. How about ball flight? We're having a problem with too high ball flight, too little roll out. His swing has changed a bit more to a LTR for some reason with his driver so that doesn't help, but he still hits his 3w fine with a nice straight or baby draw flight that rolls out nicely. With roll out it's usualiy right they're with his average driver distance total, so I know there is more to be had with the Driver. The new Flynn JR2 has helped some, but still doesn't look optimal.

How long was the lady shaft (total club ) before you too LL it down to to(total club) 37". I've never been clear on the effect on stiffness and playability of cutting down a shaft to a small junior size- seems anything more than a few inches would really impact.

Ballflight is just fine. It's definitely not too high, and I have it turned up from 13.5* marked loft to 15.5*.

As his swingspeed increases, I'll end up turning the loft down to accommodate.

The Bassara 42gm Ladies flex was a full length shaft when I bought it.

I suggest not getting too caught up in the stiffness elements of cutting a shaft down. What most people don't understand is when they cut (certain) shafts down from the butt, they are removing the stiffer portion in the hands, and the newly cut shaft will place the hands closer to the middle section/more flexible section of the shaft.

This isn't the exact Bassara I bought, but, it will give you a good idea of what I'm talking about relative to flex profile and trimming the shaft from the butt section.

Flynn wood shafts are very soft to me. Going to a Cobra Jr. or other OEM ladies flex wood shaft will likely quickly give you the stiffer profile you are looking for. We used 39" and 41" Cobra shafts, all stock length with great results. My son is 11 and is getting close to needing a new fit into a more adult sized driver length, but until he gets his swing under control I am not spending anymore money. He can get the 41" Cobra out to 200, but has developed some inconsistency. I'll take shorter hits, but in the fairway over the long bombs every 3rd shot with a driver shaft that is too long. 35" is really short for a full size head. You may need to step up to a 37" to get the SW and profile right. Taking that much off the butt of a shaft is going to make most of them whippy.

I think there is a reason why manufacturers don't build Jr. clubs with a 460cc head until around 39"-40" playing length.

Flynn wood shafts are very soft to me. Going to a Cobra Jr. or other OEM ladies flex wood shaft will likely quickly give you the stiffer profile you are looking for. We used 39" and 41" Cobra shafts, all stock length with great results. My son is 11 and is getting close to needing a new fit into a more adult sized driver length, but until he gets his swing under control I am not spending anymore money. He can get the 41" Cobra out to 200, but has developed some inconsistency. I'll take shorter hits, but in the fairway over the long bombs every 3rd shot with a driver shaft that is too long. 35" is really short for a full size head. You may need to step up to a 37" to get the SW and profile right. Taking that much off the butt of a shaft is going to make most of them whippy.

I think there is a reason why manufacturers don't build Jr. clubs with a 460cc head until around 39"-40" playing length.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the getting a 39" Cobra Junior shaft and butt cutting it to 37". He can certainly choke down a couple inches while growing into the club. The main problem with the Flynn JR2 shaft is the whippy-ness. I did a non-scientific comparison of his old TS-51 320cc Driver and this Flynn JR2 with Fly-Z+ head (no weights installed so the headweight is similar at 187g) and the TS-51 has quite a bit less flex. A JR3 version of the Flynn shaft would probably have been better, but specs and detailed questions I sent to Flynn got shut down with a "that's not the service we offer here".

Unfortunately, looks like Cobra doesn't offer a 39" shaft anymore. I'll have to email them. https://www.cobragolf.com/shaft-only-junior

My now 9 has used a variety of different shafts.

Flynn in 33 and 34" lengths, then we moved to a Matrix Velox Ladies cut down to 35". Now using a Accra SRT 41 at 36.5".

I'd agree that I think the Flynn shafts are a little soft, accuracy suffered a little with them. But otherwise we haven't noticed too much difference between the various shafts. He hit the ball solid with all the shafts and hasn't complained about any of them.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the getting a 39" Cobra Junior shaft and butt cutting it to 37". He can certainly choke down a couple inches while growing into the club. The main problem with the Flynn JR2 shaft is the whippy-ness. I did a non-scientific comparison of his old TS-51 320cc Driver and this Flynn JR2 with Fly-Z+ head (no weights installed so the headweight is similar at 187g) and the TS-51 has quite a bit less flex. A JR3 version of the Flynn shaft would probably have been better, but specs and detailed questions I sent to Flynn got shut down with a "that's not the service we offer here".

Unfortunately, looks like Cobra doesn't offer a 39" shaft anymore. I'll have to email them. https://www.cobragol...aft-only-junior

Are you located in Bridges course in San Ramon?

I take my son to practice there Tuesday and Thursday evenings.

I can bring his old 36" cobra cut shaft for you to try out if you like.

Unfortunately, looks like Cobra doesn't offer a 39" shaft anymore. I'll have to email them. https://www.cobragol...aft-only-junior

Are you located in Bridges course in San Ramon?

I take my son to practice there Tuesday and Thursday evenings.

I can bring his old 36" cobra cut shaft for you to try out if you like.

Yes, my son has Junior Membership there. I'll send you a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

we recently went to the recoil es440 F1 for the driver and her fwy. Much much tighter shot pattern vs flynn. Misses are less. Distances seems to be a little greater due to the shaft grip combo we use is lighter than the flynn, so we notice some increase in swing speed. I want to say it was about 10-12 gram difference. Still experimenting as we just started this last week but overall the results are promising.

Recoil ES 440 F1 for Driver and 5 wood. Would agree with darter79 the dispersion is much better and a little stiffer than the Flynn. Not sure the Flynn weight but they seem similar. Only thing I would note is the butt end of the shaft is much thicker than Flynn. Overall its a much better shaft.

agree with the butt end. Makes me consider trying this with her irons as well.

Many thanks to mrshinsa for letting my junior hit their BioCell with cut-down Cobra Junior shaft tonight. The flex on the cut-down shaft is just slightly stiffer than the Flynn JR2 shaft with Fly-Z+ head that I have. The finished club lengths were within 1/2" of each other. Overall, my junior hit them pretty much the same with his same level of 7YO inconsistency (some bombs and some not-bombs). I think I'll hold off at this point and get him a little more consistent in the swing. A little bit longer (say 37-38" finished club length) would benefit him in the distance department, but his consistency could get worse.

Tested the recoil es440 F1 yesterday. It was only one day , but seems to be better shaft than Flynn. My observations - no trackman data or anything to back up, just eyeballing it.

Son is 7, ~52" Tall, probably swings around 60 -65 MPH (? - not sure, last measured was 56mph 1.5 years ago). Again , 7 , so consider the inherent inconsistency.

Flynn - JR1, 40g, 34" Total Club - Seems too whippy, ball flight higher and seems difficult to transfer to ball properly -

Flynn - JR1 ,44g, 36.5" Total Club - Stiffer and heavier. Ball flight lower than desired on most swings.

Recoil ES440 F1 - 44g , 36.5" Total Club - The stock spec weight given is 44g, so not sure what it is when cut down to junior length - Shaft feels lighter than Flynn JR2, but stiffer than JR1. Dispersion seems tighter and just seems like the transfer results in more solid shots.

Tested the recoil es440 F1 yesterday. It was only one day , but seems to be better shaft than Flynn. My observations - no trackman data or anything to back up, just eyeballing it.

Son is 7, ~52" Tall, probably swings around 60 -65 MPH (? - not sure, last measured was 56mph 1.5 years ago). Again , 7 , so consider the inherent inconsistency.

Flynn - JR1, 40g, 34" Total Club - Seems too whippy, ball flight higher and seems difficult to transfer to ball properly -

Flynn - JR1 ,44g, 36.5" Total Club - Stiffer and heavier. Ball flight lower than desired on most swings.

Recoil ES440 F1 - 44g , 36.5" Total Club - The stock spec weight given is 44g, so not sure what it is when cut down to junior length - Shaft feels lighter than Flynn JR2, but stiffer than JR1. Dispersion seems tighter and just seems like the transfer results in more solid shots.

Thanks for the results. What grip are you using? Mine is using the Dri-Tac Junior (blue) which weighs 28g. Of course, many will say that this light grip, light Flynn shaft and the 187g Fly-Z+ head gives quite the oddball swing weight to the club. I was thinking of drilling a hole in the grip and inserting his 50g counterweight from his SuperStroke putter grip in there to test. Otherwise, I'd try wrappign some lead tape or something just to test.

Thanks for the results. What grip are you using? Mine is using the Dri-Tac Junior (blue) which weighs 28g. Of course, many will say that this light grip, light Flynn shaft and the 187g Fly-Z+ head gives quite the oddball swing weight to the club. I was thinking of drilling a hole in the grip and inserting his 50g counterweight from his SuperStroke putter grip in there to test. Otherwise, I'd try wrappign some lead tape or something just to test.

Winn DriTac Junior (blue). Had not put much thought into the grip for weight/balance. Seems to be fine. I did take a one handed swing with it compared to one of his old USKG TS51 Driver (which presumably is balanced correctly), and it didn't feel disproportionate or off.