Titleist's new "AVX" golf balls, with premium urethane covers

Initially (during the trial period) my club’s pro shop sold out of the yellow but had some white leftover. However, they only received like six dozen of each color in that initial shipment.

Since they became a regular item they sell slowly but steadily and the yellow seem to be slightly more popular. But in the past couple months I doubt they’ve sold more than a few dozen of either.

Picked another dozen at GG yesterday. Store manager stated he was shocked how well the ball is selling.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used the AVX today for 27 holes.

Honestly, I experienced very little difference between this and a Pro V1 which I don't normally play.

I use V1x often, and BS 330 XS, along with Snell Red.

AVX was virtually the usual distance off everything, (some shots possibly 5 yards more) and definitely launched higher especially off the driver.

Given that, suspect I would not use this in the wind.

I found the stopping effect on greens quite good, normally within 6" of the pitch mark and several bounced back. A shot I hit into a fairly firm green with a PW that landed on a pretty good down slope at the front of the green stopped about 3 feet away.

I will play the doz I bought to see if they become more likeable to me, but the price point seems excessive - $64.99 in Canada at Golftown.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

• 2 weeks later...

I used the AVX today for 27 holes.

Honestly, I experienced very little difference between this and a Pro V1 which I don't normally play.

I use V1x often, and BS 330 XS, along with Snell Red.

AVX was virtually the usual distance off everything, (some shots possibly 5 yards more) and definitely launched higher especially off the driver.

Given that, suspect I would not use this in the wind.

I found the stopping effect on greens quite good, normally within 6" of the pitch mark and several bounced back. A shot I hit into a fairly firm green with a PW that landed on a pretty good down slope at the front of the green stopped about 3 feet away.

I will play the doz I bought to see if they become more likeable to me, but the price point seems excessive - $64.99 in Canada at Golftown.

Update: I played this ball again 2 days later and had a very good ball striking day. Actually shot a 74 which is my lowest in the past 6 years. Most of it I attribute to me having great timing and tempo that day, however the ball certainly performed magnificently. 10 more yards on all drives and more distanceoff the irons and hybrids. Great trajectories on all clubs, and especially liked the soft feel off the putter. I will play these again this for 4 days this weekend and see what happens with whatever swing I have.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

Does anyone know the ratio of AVX selling White vs Yellow?

Part of me initially thought being the first urethane Yellow ball from Titleist (at least in the North American Market) that it would have a decent group of followers.

To this day, and here is Socal the AVX has been around a while, I have found 1 AVX over the 60 rounds I have played this year. I also play as a single and get paired up with many different people and haven't ran into anyone else using them. Are more people liking this ball in other parts of the country ? Only ask because I don't see any strong demand here at all.

I’m from SoCal and I’ve played the AVX yellow ball, since it’s test phase last year. I played a tourney up north with SoCal friends a month ago. I asked when did they started using the AVX and several of them stated for about a month only. Many didn’t know what the AVX was until it was mass marketed.

I found an AVX yesterday that looked like it was hit once and played it on the back and then for 18 holes today, and will play it again . I'm honestly kind of shocked how well the cover has stood up. Although I haven't hit it yet with 54* and 58* with a full swing which usually destroys any cover since they are the older 1018 with old box grooves that were refinished over the winter.

I am noticing a bit more distance with my 3 wood, and hybrids (driver too on some shots but really hard to tell, if it is, it may just be landing possibly at lower angle, but could just as well be catching good bounces from the fairways which are firming up), and its probably do to less spin vs the current Pro V1. Spin seems fine, I suppose I was expecting maybe a bit more roll out with iron shots but its pretty close to my Pro V1/X.

If any problems I'm having is adjusting to spin on very short pitch shots around the green, where it may be a slight downhill to the hole. Sometimes it grabs, and stops relatively short of the hole, yet later it may roll out a little farther than expecting. It's not a bad thing just need a little more time to get a little more predictability on how it'll react from different lies etc.

So overall I really like it so it far (after 27 holes only).

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

My 2c (from a shop owners perspective)

These are tanking, and tanking hard.

Usually I would sell about 2.5:1 V1 to V1x in season.

These AVX at the same price are just sitting taking up inventory space, while the normal ratio of V1 to V1x fly out the door

I'm literally sitting on dozens from my original spring shipment, where as i've already refilled the other two balls on my regular basis by now...

What does the AVX compete with? Direct competitor?

Chromesoft

Qstar tour?

It was created to be a direct competitor to Chrome Soft

Why do you keep saying that?

Different number of layers, different trajectory, different spin, no mention of Chrome Soft by Titleist...

You really ought to at least make up stuff that’s remotely plausible.

Chromesoft

Qstar tour?

Different number of layers, different trajectory, different spin, no mention of Chrome Soft by Titleist...

You really ought to at least make up stuff thats remotely plausible.

in fairness , I am sure it was to compete with all the lower compression balls , CS, Project A etc .

Also the CS was a 3 pc a few years ago. I would put the AVX in with the other 2. A TP5X or Srixon XV player probably isn’t going to like the AVX , however a lower compression player might .

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I've noticed significant lower spin off the driver but I'm still trying to come up with a conclusion with irons and wedges. I havent played a Pro V1 ball in awhile so I cant really compare it to that yet. I can only compare it to a Bridgestone E6 Soft at this point and the AVX is better in all aspects. I just dont want to spend that much money on golf balls until I stop losing 6 a round.

I've noticed significant lower spin off the driver but I'm still trying to come up with a conclusion with irons and wedges. I havent played a Pro V1 ball in awhile so I cant really compare it to that yet. I can only compare it to a Bridgestone E6 Soft at this point and the AVX is better in all aspects. I just dont want to spend that much money on golf balls until I stop losing 6 a round.

Are you sure it's lower spin off the driver or is it just a lower trajectory and flatter landing angle?

The launch monitor results I've seen indicate if there's any reduction in spin for AVX relative to ProV1 or ProV1x it's a couple hundred rpm at most. And your e6 Soft is already about as low driver spin as any ball could ever be.

The e6 series is designed to fly as high as possible with every club in the bag. AVX is designed to fly low and especially for low driver flight. For my swing, that lower driver flight is obvious as is the extra run-out (10+ yards on my typical fairway conditions). But it's not due to spin, it the low-trajectory dimple design.

Chromesoft

Qstar tour?

You really ought to at least make up stuff thats remotely plausible.

I posted articles and numbers showing it. I guess it’s not the truth if you don’t believe it.

These AVX at the same price are just sitting taking up inventory space, while the normal ratio of V1 to V1x fly out the door

I'm literally sitting on dozens from my original spring shipment, where as i've already refilled the other two balls on my regular basis by now...

Really, the shop i am at sells a bunch of these.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I’ll buy your stock at a discount if you wanna dump them

I'll buy your stock at a discount if you wanna dump them

No need, I edited my orders rest of year and took them off all pre-books. I'll sell out of what I have, I'm just shocked they are doing so badly.

Surprised to see so much negativity in here.

This ball is easily the furthest and straightest ball I've ever used. Love the feel of it too.

Very amusing. :rolleyes:

Dead serious. They spin less so they go further after roll out. And I love the feeling off the putter face, which is pretty much the only feel I care about in a golf ball. I'd much rather play an AVX than a Pro V or Chrome Soft.

No need, I edited my orders rest of year and took them off all pre-books. I'll sell out of what I have, I'm just shocked they are doing so badly.

PGA super store in Orlando is virtually barren in the AVX section, heard they’re killing it.

Also heard some guys talking at the bar at shingle creek that the ball is a “game changer” maybe you should try and push it, I have a feeling you’re gonna have some disappointed customers when the masses catch on

PGA super store in Orlando is virtually barren in the AVX section, heard theyre killing it.

Also heard some guys talking at the bar at shingle creek that the ball is a game changer maybe you should try and push it, I have a feeling youre gonna have some disappointed customers when the masses catch on

I know that guy. He probably posted in this thread.

Haters will hate. But for someone that doesn’t crush the ball I’m really loving the extra rollout and how straight this ball is with my driver. I’ve been trying many different balls that suit my game since Nike stopped making golf balls, and there’s no doubt that this is the one. AVX for life (I hope).

Haters will hate. But for someone that doesnt crush the ball Im really loving the extra rollout and how straight this ball is with my driver. Ive been trying many different balls that suit my game since Nike stopped making golf balls, and theres no doubt that this is the one. AVX for life (I hope).

There’s probably 50 balls at half the price of the AVX that do what you said.

Haters will hate. But for someone that doesn’t crush the ball I’m really loving the extra rollout and how straight this ball is with my driver. I’ve been trying many different balls that suit my game since Nike stopped making golf balls, and there’s no doubt that this is the one. AVX for life (I hope).

There’s probably 50 balls at half the price of the AVX that do what you said.

Name a few good ones, and I'll try a couple.

I used to play NXT Tour in the softer conditions of late spring and fall, and Pro V1x when things got firm in July. Now I play one ball: AVX. It goes farther into the wind for me, and seems to putt and pitch just fine.

(Guess I'm a seeker.)

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse