WRX selling practices? I said I'll buy for asking then turns around and sells to another after...

Barfolomew

Maybe my thinking is wrong, but if I'm selling something I don't put my PayPal information on the listing, I just don't like too. But if I have a couple of people asking to purchase an item, I will always go by who sent the first PM.. and I will tell the second one there is one person in front of them, and that I have given the first person notice there is another party interested and state a time line that the first person has remaining to send funds. I guess I can understand the "first to pay" thinking, but I don't find it too taxing to send all parties interested a message where they stand.

Ok... good argument there...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe my thinking is wrong, but if I'm selling something I don't put my PayPal information on the listing, I just don't like too. But if I have a couple of people asking to purchase an item, I will always go by who sent the first PM.. and I will tell the second one there is one person in front of them, and that I have given the first person notice there is another party interested and state a time line that the first person has remaining to send funds. I guess I can understand the "first to pay" thinking, but I don't find it too taxing to send all parties interested a message where they stand.

Then you get into a debate of "what is a reasonable timeline to pay?" I started on the forum using your method (which I do believe is how things should work; not unfortunately it doesn't happen in reality) and then starting missing out on selling items because the first person never paid and by the time I went back to another potential buyer they had lost interest or bought another item. Communication is the best overall method in either situation.

Driver: Titleist TSR2

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Cobra Baffler F6

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Versa 3T

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

I am sorry but I don't subscribe to "first to pay gets it". I have been on here for a pretty long time and have had a good number of transactions. I can count with one hand how many times a buyer backed out after I sent Paypal info. As many pointed out, stars in our feedback means something, so the more star you have, the more time I would give as I understand most people do have other things to tend to in their lives. Maybe I have been extremely lucky but I think the magnitude of issue on people say I'll take it and disappear might be overblown.

The most recent incident was a long time member with >50 feedback score went dark after I sent paypal. I noticed that he had not been online since my reply so I gave him 24 hours before I moved on to next buyer. Was I risking losing a sale since I have to keep the next buyer waiting? Sure, but I thought it was the right thing to do. I am sure most of us on BST are not dependent on it to make ends meet, l don't think it's necessary to treat each other like our lives was dependent on making the sale right now. A couple days later the buyer got back to me, very apologetically that something came up and he had completely forgot about this. He thanked me for waiting and we wished each other the best and moved on.

Bottom line is I treat people the same way I would like to be treated. I am not saying everyone should do it like me. I do what I believe is right so I can be at peace with my own conscience. I am sure there are some who have a habit of flaking out on deals, and I have suggested years ago that flaking out should be reflected in feedback. That suggestion was rejected by most because in this case there was no transactions, and feedback was meant to reflect how transactions went. I do wish there is a way to record flaking incidents so we know who do not deserve some extra time to pay.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

I am sorry but I don't subscribe to "first to pay gets it". I have been on here for a pretty long time and have had a good number of transactions. I can count with one hand how many times a buyer backed out after I sent Paypal info. As many pointed out, stars in our feedback means something, so the more star you have, the more time I would give as I understand most people do have other things to tend to in their lives. Maybe I have been extremely lucky but I think the issue on people say I'll take it and disappear might be overblown.

The most recent incident was a long time member with >50 feedback score went dark after I sent paypal. I noticed that he had not been online since my reply so I gave him 24 hours before I moved on to next buyer. Was I risking losing a sale since I have to keep the next buyer waiting? Sure, but I thought it was the right thing to do. I am sure most of us on BST are not dependent on it to make ends meet, l don't think it's necessary to treat each other like our lives was dependent on making the sale right now. A couple days later the buyer got back to me, very apologetically that something came up and he had completely forgot about this. He thanked me for waiting and we wished each other the best and moved on.

Bottom line is I treat people the same way I would like to be treated. I am not saying everyone should do it like me. I do what I believe is right so I can be at peace with my own conscience. I am sure there are some who have a habit of flaking out on deals, and I have suggested years ago that flaking out should be reflected in feedback. That suggestion was rejected by most because in this case there was no transactions, and feedback was meant to reflect how transactions went. I do wish there is a way to record flaking incidents so we know who do not deserve some extra time to pay.

And Im totally cool with how you approach your ads. Just like you, Im at peace with my own conscience when I list something and how I go about it. There is no wrong answer here. I respect your take.

G luck!

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

I am sorry but I don't subscribe to "first to pay gets it". I have been on here for a pretty long time and have had a good number of transactions. I can count with one hand how many times a buyer backed out after I sent Paypal info. As many pointed out, stars in our feedback means something, so the more star you have, the more time I would give as I understand most people do have other things to tend to in their lives. Maybe I have been extremely lucky but I think the issue on people say I'll take it and disappear might be overblown.

I did this for a very long time until 2-3 years ago. I still treat buyers with high feedback this way. In my recent ads I have had at least 1 person per item sold ask for PP then back out. Usually these are users with lower feedback scores.

I even had a sale a few weeks ago that had 4 in line and the first 3 backed out and the 4th was a long time member. I want to be a civilized seller here and give people time to send payment and respect order of PM's but I'm getting sick of buyers flaking.

Since we are all being honest, I have sold to the 3rd PM saying "I'll take it" because they had a higher feedback score. I just took path of least resistance and I knew the higher FB score would send PP ASAP. I await my public flogging...

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

I did this for a very long time until 2-3 years ago. I still treat buyers with high feedback this way. In my recent ads I have had at least 1 person per item sold ask for PP then back out. Usually these are users with lower feedback scores.

I even had a sale a few weeks ago that had 4 in line and the first 3 backed out and the 4th was a long time member. I want to be a civilized seller here and give people time to send payment and respect order of PM's but I'm getting sick of buyers flaking.

Since we are all being honest, I have sold to the 3rd PM saying "I'll take it" because they had a higher feedback score. I just took path of least resistance and I knew the higher FB score would send PP ASAP. I await my public flogging...

Its your item and and you can sell it to whomever you want for whatever reason you want. Unless you actually told one of the first two you would sell it to them and then backed out I have no issue with how you dealt with it.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

That makes sense in all aspects for yourself, but how do members like myself with low feedback establish more if

1. We are passed over on purchases because of lack of feedback

2. My most recent deals the higher feedback user didn't bother to even leave feedback after I requested it several times.

I much prefer to buy/sell on here but the established people who'd I'd prefer to do business with are becoming more more selective (and rightfully so).

I see no problem here

Driver - Titleist TSR3
Hybrid - Ping G430  
Irons - Titleist T 150 - MMT 125
Wedges - SM9 50,54,60
Putter - Scotty NP2

It always goes to the first one to pay.

Always.

It's as simple as this.

We are in this together. The seller wants to sell quick and the buyer wants the item ASAP, generally speaking.

Whether I am buying or selling, I always offer my number to text for the fastest response and the fastest way to close a deal. There's only so many hours in the day to sit in your inbox and refresh your PMs.

*I have sold on other forums, just not here yet.

It always goes to the first one to pay.

Always.

It's as simple as this.

We are in this together. The seller wants to sell quick and the buyer wants the item ASAP, generally speaking.

Whether I am buying or selling, I always offer my number to text for the fastest response and the fastest way to close a deal. There's only so many hours in the day to sit in your inbox and refresh your PMs.

*I have sold on other forums, just not here yet.

This is the proper attitude. If I got a PM from you saying your interested in an item I would give you the time you ask for. It is not just feedback. You have taken the time to setup an avatar, you are active since joining and didn't pay to sell. I appreciate that everyone has to start somewhere but when you have lower feedback you need to send payment ASAP and this will change.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

I have no problem with sellers giving priority to higher feedback buyers.. But I sell to PM in order. Like DFS said, how can then starting buyer build feedback?

My last BST was to a newbie here and because of USPS screw-up, he received the Pkg AFTER I refunded money in full. He paid right away without any hesitation when he could've just disappeared with the item and money.

back to topic.

If I get multiple "I'll take it PM", then I PM the first guy my ppal, and let him know I have multiple interest and if I don't hear back within certain time (usually 1-2hr) then I'll sell to the next guy in line.

As has been said on here already, it's up to the seller as to how they want to conduct the sale, but I do feel the same way as you. I go down the line, so to speak, in order of "I'll take its". I'll message the first and give him/her up to about 24 hours to pay, and at the same time contact the others (assuming there are others) in line and let them know where they stand, and that the sale is pending and first buyer has until the next day to complete it, or I'll move down the line. I personally just feel this is right, and how I'd want to be treated as a buyer, as with my job I know how easy it is to be by the computer for one moment, then be pulled away for hours at a time. Again, other people can sell however they want, but on here and many other forums, I've found that this works best for me. If I'm in a position that I can't wait until the next day to take payment for an item, or even eat an item if it happens to never sell, I've done multiple things wrong already.

That makes sense in all aspects for yourself, but how do members like myself with low feedback establish more if

1. We are passed over on purchases because of lack of feedback

2. My most recent deals the higher feedback user didn't bother to even leave feedback after I requested it several times.

I much prefer to buy/sell on here but the established people who'd I'd prefer to do business with are becoming more more selective (and rightfully so).

Unfortunately it is a less than perfect process but the truth is all of us had gone through. The number of actual transactions we had far exceeds the number of feedback we have. I know the pain so I always make it a point to leave feedback, and I have had the pleasure of give the very first feedback to many new buyers.

You'll always have people who can't be bothered to leave you feedback, weather is BST, eBay or any other places, and there's really not much anyone can do about it as long as it is a voluntary system. Just be patient, do the right things, and you'll get to where you want to be.

PXG SD 58*

My attitude is first to pay gets it. Many times I wait for someone to pay and have turned down others only to have that buyer flake out. A lot of times people ask for the PP address then never send it. If you really want something make a decision and pay immediately. We are all busy.

Perfect example of what I would question if the issue is overblown. With 3 feedbacks, that's less than 10 transactions assuming 70% of your counterparts didn't give you feedback, what exact substantiates the claim of "a lot of times"?

PXG SD 58*

My attitude is first to pay gets it. Many times I wait for someone to pay and have turned down others only to have that buyer flake out. A lot of times people ask for the PP address then never send it. If you really want something make a decision and pay immediately. We are all busy.

Perfect example of what I would question if the issue is overblown. With 3 feedbacks, that's less than 10 transactions assuming 70% of your counterparts didn't give you feedback, what exact substantiates the claim of "a lot of times"?

I do have a life outside of this site. So my experience isn't limited to here. That has been my experience over the course of 20 years internet bst. I am as obligated to substantiate my "claim" as I am obligated to sell you an item you haven't paid for.

The majority of my bst sales have multiple people wanting the items. I give the first to PM my PayPal info and tell them it's theirs if they pay within a half hour. I then tell each other interested party what spot they are in line and will update them accordingly. Has always worked well for me.

I do have a life outside of this site. So my experience isn't limited to here. That has been my experience over the course of 20 years internet bst. I am as obligated to substantiate my "claim" as I am obligated to sell you an item you haven't paid for.

No doubt on everything you just said, but we are talking about this site specifically. I think I can speak for most people who have used BST on this site extensively that the issue isn't nearly as bad here as some other places, and that's something we hope to be able to maintain. The more we start to treat each other like "other place", the more we'll become just like those other places.

PXG SD 58*

Funny, although I don’t have some of the crazy numbers many here do, I’ve been buying and selling for quite a while. In all the time I can’t think of more than a couple times I’ve ever had someone say “I’ll take it” and then disappear. I’ve had lots of people ask questions and then never responded, but very few don’t come through after they commit.

So for me, a lot depends on who is inquiring. But when someone commits, ill usually allow them a little time to pay.

It really depends on the situation. To me, time to pay is commensurate with timing of other communication. If I get a response two minutes after I post, I should respond very quickly and am justified in expecting payment very quickly thereafter. If an offer is made two days after posting, it may be a day or two before I respond, and I’ll give the buyer a day or two to pay.

We could crack down on the flakes if we were allowed to leave negative feedback to them.

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

No doubt on everything you just said, but we are talking about this site specifically. I think I can speak for most people who have used BST on this site extensively that the issue isn't nearly as bad here as some other places, and that's something we hope to be able to maintain. The more we start to treat each other like "other place", the more we'll become just like those other places.

It's happened to me 4 or 5 times on this site. I don't get upset about it. I try to communicate as best I can when it happens and only once did I have a communication breakdown where somebody got upset. Its just status quo of the world in general. If someone asks specifically to hold something and gives me a time they will pay, I'll hold it. If someone says "give me your paypal" and I don't get a payment or a time frame to pay, I don't go tracking that person down. Someone else comes along with cash and a fair offer, they get the goods. In the old days of interpersonal dealing. People put money down to hold goods. Unless I know someone, I can't expect they will follow through until they do.

I try to be considerate of peoples time when I buy and I expect the same in return. If I negotiate a price and ask for a PP, I immediately make payment. If someone beats me to the punch (its happened), then so be it.

I dont put my paypal on the listing because I'm lazy. I dont want to have to go onto paypal and refund people. I think the chances of people getting upset increases even more if they have actually sent you money. Plus... I'm lazy.

When I get multiple offers I read them all first. The first person to offer full price gets it. If there are multiple people that offer full price I PM each of them. The first person gets my PP and is given a time to pay within. Depending on the demand for the item that time frame can change. If I have people beating down my door for an item (OOPs... must have under priced that one!!!) the time to pay goes down. Normally i try to give people at least 30 minutes. Then I let the second person in line know that they are second. That the person in front of them has 30 minutes and that I will let them know either way.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

It sucks but like others have stated there are too many ire kickers that the seller is going wit the 1st one to send them the funds. However personally if I send my PayPal to a buyer that commits I hold the next potential buyers in line off a reasonable amount of time before I provide them with my PayPal to avoid multiple payments.

On a side note it pisses me off when people open a "Want to Buy " post and I respond with the exact item they want and they don;t have the decency to even reply... Happens often.

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Mizuno STZ- 230 22 Hybrid  ,LIN-Q Blue 

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Mizuno T24 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

It's that way on this forum. Unless seller promised to you, it's his ad and he can do it that way if he wants. Not everyone does it this way, I never have and never will.

I just don't like putting my pp addy for all to see, so first to pay doesn't work for me. I have no problem with giving a reasonable amount of time to pay if they take it.

On smaller forums where the posters are more aquainted with one another, first to pay wouldn't fly, but this is a huge forum and there are flakes, so for most this is the way to do biz.

On a side note it pisses me off when people open a "Want to Buy " post and I respond with the exact item they want and they don;t have the decency to even reply... Happens often.

No reason to take it personally, I always state "if interested lmk".....if they aren't interested, then no reason to reply, in fact I don't want one if they aren't interested, that might mean the item or the price or they've already worked out another deal...seems like a waste of time replying. That being said I always do the courteous thing and reply, but I never expect a reply if someone is not interested in what I have or my offer.....just another way of looking at things.

No reason to take it personally, I always state "if interested lmk".....if they aren't interested, then no reason to reply, in fact I don't want one if they aren't interested, that might mean the item or the price or they've already worked out another deal...seems like a waste of time replying. That being said I always do the courteous thing and reply, but I never expect a reply if someone is not interested in what I have or my offer.....just another way of looking at things.

Yep.... That's why I will probably stop taking the time to respond to everyone that posts in WTB .... A few Ignorant people kill the chances of others getting a deal. My view of my time usage.

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Mizuno STZ- 230 22 Hybrid  ,LIN-Q Blue 

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Mizuno T24 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

Yep.... That's why I will probably stop taking the time to respond to everyone that posts in WTB .... A few Ignorant people kill the chances of others getting a deal. My view of my time usage.

Speaking of time usage....I was selling my Skytrak and projector a while back and a member sent numerous requests for pics, information etc. I accommodated all requests and even accepted his lowball offer. After two days of constant back and forth he sends a BS email stating he can't justify expense. He was playing a game and probably never had the money. I was angry as hell for my time he wasted. I almost posted his username so everyone would know not to deal with him. Wasting someone's time for something to do or so you can tell people you are buying something you can't afford is pathetic.

This is my approach, too

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST