2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***)

I have a few friends that won't play in the summer down here. At the Trail, summer and winter are

the "off" seasons. Prices for the out of towners are higher in the spring and fall.

In the summer I like to play around mid day actually. Once the morning dew has evaporated and

the air begins to move and get a little breezy it's not bad out there. The humidity drops as the air

heats up. It's a good time to play the Senator course up top. There are no trees on that course

and being up top it gets a lot more air circulating. Conversely, it's the coldest and windiest course

there in the winter.

Anyone watching the World Cup? Moi is every game. And the WC thread is not getting much action so this is a mute post. Checked out some tennis yesterday, well most of day.

Le Francais vs Englais? Would be a something else final.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

I've been watching the WC periodically. It was quite handy to watch the feature match at 7:00 am when we were out west. a good way to start the day while having a leisurely breakfast and an extra cup of coffee. Agree that France vs. England would be a ding donger!

For anyone else interested the Tour de France started last Saturday. The first week is laways exciting as they typically make their way across northern France where cobbles are prevalent, winds blow strong and finishes are often on leg searing pitches like the Mur de Bretagne tomorrow. Everyone still has a shot and the potential for crashes is large as everyone is fighting for position.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

On the same wavelength Scotee,

A drink (Bloody Mary in other parts) of choice when grilling chicken kabobs. Yummy!

What do the Grillers like to drink when the temperature rises? I'm a scotch or bourbon on the rocks, Caesar, or Jin and Tonic usually.

Pretty much a basic beer guy although I do fancy a nice Gin & Tonic on occasion when it's hot outside. There's just something about a cold fresh draft when you're parched. I really enjoyed the vibrant craft brew scene while we were holidaying in BC. :drinks:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I've been watching the WC periodically. It was quite handy to watch the feature match at 7:00 am when we were out west. a good way to start the day while having a leisurely breakfast and an extra cup of coffee. Agree that France vs. England would be a ding donger!

For anyone else interested the Tour de France started last Saturday. The first week is laways exciting as they typically make their way across northern France where cobbles are prevalent, winds blow strong and finishes are often on leg searing pitches like the Mur de Bretagne tomorrow. Everyone still has a shot and the potential for crashes is large as everyone is fighting for position.

Soccer is not a sport that has ever interested me, Most of the players seem to be overpaid showmen and the avid fans are thugs.

Look at the antics of hundreds if not thousands of English supporters after the beat Sweden, destroying cars in the street destroying an IKEA store, and the antics of some players falling to the floor for no reason to try for a penalty.thet have spoiled what started as a fast skillfull game.

Unfortunately as with most sports today, far too much money for too little effort.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

On the same wavelength Scotee,

A drink (Bloody Mary in other parts) of choice when grilling chicken kabobs. Yummy!

What do the Grillers like to drink when the temperature rises? I'm a scotch or bourbon on the rocks, Caesar, or Jin and Tonic usually.

Pretty much a basic beer guy although I do fancy a nice Gin & Tonic on occasion when it's hot outside. There's just something about a cold fresh draft when you're parched. I really enjoyed the vibrant craft brew scene while we were holidaying in BC. :drinks:

Used to enjoy a beer and always had a carton in the garage, the habit dissapeared when it became essential to be sober at night as that was when DW has her AF episodes. Now we drink wine with lunch and usually plain water at other times. Miss the beers, back on them again this year after the ablation.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

FWIW I rarely if ever watch soccer during the regular club season. Both of our boys played, but the nuances of the game are really lost on me. Like the Olympics, the WC is different as it's country against country and only comes along once every 4 years, so that makes it special, to me at least. That said, I have no horse in the race.

FWIW I rarely if ever watch soccer during the regular club season. Both of our boys played, but the nuances of the game are really lost on me. Like the Olympics, the WC is different as it's country against country and only comes along once every 4 years, so that makes it special, to me at least. That said, I have no horse in the race.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The annoying fact is most children playing soccer do it for the correct reason, they enjoy playing, but the money involved soon turns their heads and becomes the primary objective. I know we have to earn as much as possible to give our families a good life but turning pro at a young age and having contracts and managers when still in the early teens soon gives the wrong message. When you are filled with your own self importance at such a young age it can only cause trouble.

I used to be an avid Rugby League fan, then they worked a full time job, Rugby Union was an amateur sport even at an international level and the Olympics would disqualify anyone accepting payment for performance, OK so I am ancient and living in the past and the world moves on, not always for the better though.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I tried chipping off of a board today-thanks Reasonability for the suggestion. I didn't have a sheet of plywood so to start the ball was above my feet, but I decided to add a board for me to stand on so the ball was slightly below my feet- my weakness. Chipped some and then decided to get a quick vid as I wasn't sure if I was doing it right.? Of course the ball went in the air towards the target but I was wondering if I should be picking it totally clean? I felt like I got ball first-ish, but there was definite contact with the board. How should I be working this drill? Thanks!

I tried chipping off of a board today-thanks Reasonability for the suggestion. I didn't have a sheet of plywood so to start the ball was above my feet, but I decided to add a board for me to stand on so the ball was slightly below my feet- my weakness. Chipped some and then decided to get a quick vid as I wasn't sure if I was doing it right.? Of course the ball went in the air towards the target but I was wondering if I should be picking it totally clean? I felt like I got ball first-ish, but there was definite contact with the board. How should I be working this drill? Thanks!

Good deal. If I may - would like to check with one or two guys known to do this one more than I personally have. Stu may happen along, too. I believe he's done this himself many times. Will get back to you soon based on feedback I hope to gather for you.

Your video brought back memories of hitting off a lie board during iron fittings. It makes a lot of sense for improving contact as I always remember enjoying the experience of hitting off of a board as I recall wanting to focus on bottoming out the swing in front of the ball.

I've got an old junker SW around here somewhere that I used to hit off of bare dirt or the driveway to work on the same thing.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Well no English France final. Croatia brought it. Comeback kids.

Lol, you're just biding your time until football season starts. So, who's going to play Bama in the National Championship

game this season? And who's gonna play the Pats in the Super Bowl?

Lol. Actually I am a BIG WC fan. Been so for years. Watched just about every game except maybe a couple in first go around, those early 8am games. The tides gone out and won't return and the Pats will collect another trophy. D will be much better than lasts years no pass rush.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

\

Need to play a little back/forth dialogue with you if that's OK.

A) Did you happen to also record a face-on? At the risk of annoying you, would you be able to do so in the next few days before too much is said?

B) Camera angles can play games with us. Your target seems to the right of your alignment. Was that purposeful or the angle? Were you going for an open=faced sort of "cut/slice" type swing???

C) Do you know what loft of the club you were swinging?

D) If you had to guess, was the handle ahead (to the target side) of the ball at impact? Even with it? Back behind it? (I'm guessing a little ahead of it.)

E) Depth perception in 2D is a little tricky. How far was the target from you? Looks like about 10-12 yards???

Here's some really positive feedback while waiting for your answers. That board under your feet indicates you operate with nice balance. There's no tipping out over your toes or rocking back on your heels. Standing on that board, you have to maintain great control of balance. Well done!

Lol, you're just biding your time until football season starts. So, who's going to play Bama in the National Championship

Lol. Actually I am a BIG WC fan. Been so for years. Watched just about every game except maybe a couple in first go around, those early 8am games. The tides gone out and won't return and the Pats will collect another trophy. D will be much better than lasts years no pass rush.

I think Tua is gonna be at QB this season...………….. surprise MVP in last years NC game in case you don't remember.

It will be good to see the Tide have a passing game. Could be epic. My guess is Clemson will be back in the NC game

against them. Would be better if it was Auburn. Not only have an all SEC NC game but an all Bama NC game. That would

really piss off the rest of the country, LMAO. I wonder what the odds are? :D

I have no clue who will play the Pats in the SB. Got a feeling it won't matter this time around.

I think Tua is gonna be at QB this season...………….. surprise MVP in last years NC game in case you don't remember.

It will be good to see the Tide have a passing game. Could be epic. My guess is Clemson will be back in the NC game

against them. Would be better if it was Auburn. Not only have an all SEC NC game but an all Bama NC game. That would

really piss off the rest of the country, LMAO. I wonder what the odds are? :D

I have no clue who will play the Pats in the SB. Got a feeling it won't matter this time around.

So why bother? I don't follow football in the US, but one of the beauties of the Canadian version of the game is that you never know who is gonna be good in any given year. The only certainty is that Calgary will be competitive, but there are no guarantees that they'll go to the Grey Cup game let alone win it.

It seems that the American League of baseball has the same issues that befall the NFL with the season barely half over and all the play-off positions pretty well decided baring a miracle. The only thing left to discuss is who will be traded before the deadline and where do you think they'll end up? Oh, I still watch the games because I enjoy the sport and it's nice to see the younger players develop and some of the second tier guys get their shot, but the results really don't matter one whit. This likely explains why I have been following the WC and the T de F to fill in my sports viewing time.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

\

A) Did you happen to also record a face-on? At the risk of annoying you, would you be able to do so in the next few days before too much is said?

B) Camera angles can play games with us. Your target seems to the right of your alignment. Was that purposeful or the angle? Were you going for an open=faced sort of "cut/slice" type swing???

D) If you had to guess, was the handle ahead (to the target side) of the ball at impact? Even with it? Back behind it? (I'm guessing a little ahead of it.)

E) Depth perception in 2D is a little tricky. How far was the target from you? Looks like about 10-12 yards???

Here's some really positive feedback while waiting for your answers. That board under your feet indicates you operate with nice balance. There's no tipping out over your toes or rocking back on your heels. Standing on that board, you have to maintain great control of balance. Well done!

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it as I really had no idea if what I was doing is the drill you were describing. I have the dreaded two way miss with my green side wedges- thin or dig...lol. But like scomac2002 mentioned I was trying to focus on getting the lead edge right under the ball.

A. I did not record face on but I can. I figured seeing the ball flight would help.?

B. Yes. the target was right of where the boards were pointing. I was trying to stand just a bit open to the ball, I was trying to swing along my stance line with the face just a bit open. Yes I was swinging along the line that would slice with a full swing.

C. I was swinging a Mizuno MP-32 PW so somewhere around 47deg give or take.?

D. I'm not really sure on that one.? I set up pretty neutral I felt, leading edge just under the ball and went from there. At impact I was likely slightly ahead as I was trying to turn through the chip.?

E. I'd say the target was maybe 10yds max but probably a little closer.?

The set up wasn't something I really thought through, I saw a board in the garage and decided to chip a few off it. At first I just had the ball on the board and my feet on the concrete so the ball was just a bit above my feet. After a few of those I got another board to stand on and the ball was just a little below my feet. I was really much more focused on making clean contact and not thinning it. It seems that this drill is all about making clean contact? I appreciate the info and the help.

Not a big 'football/soccer' fan, but tune in at times during the WC, as I do with some sports during the olympic cycle. I teach with a few international soccer junkies and my school (a student body with an international flavour) is filled with soccer fanatics. The game is around me. One of my close friends is Croatian, another is English, so this most recent match was a huge deal for each of them. Me, I have no allegiance. I'll tune in at times during the final, but won't watch the full game. Too much stuff to do, not enough interest on my part.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

\

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it as I really had no idea if what I was doing is the drill you were describing. I have the dreaded two way miss with my green side wedges- thin or dig...lol. But like scomac2002 mentioned I was trying to focus on getting the lead edge right under the ball.

A. I did not record face on but I can. I figured seeing the ball flight would help.?

B. Yes. the target was right of where the boards were pointing. I was trying to stand just a bit open to the ball, I was trying to swing along my stance line with the face just a bit open. Yes I was swinging along the line that would slice with a full swing.

D. I'm not really sure on that one.? I set up pretty neutral I felt, leading edge just under the ball and went from there. At impact I was likely slightly ahead as I was trying to turn through the chip.?

The set up wasn't something I really thought through, I saw a board in the garage and decided to chip a few off it. At first I just had the ball on the board and my feet on the concrete so the ball was just a bit above my feet. After a few of those I got another board to stand on and the ball was just a little below my feet. I was really much more focused on making clean contact and not thinning it. It seems that this drill is all about making clean contact? I appreciate the info and the help.

Thanks for your tolerance, Spooky. Here's specifically why the face-on thing was mentioned. Face on reveals ball placement in the stance;: weight over one or both feet; amount (if any) of forward press at address/impact, any lateral sway, etc. Those are all biggies. But I might be able to spare you the extra effort through sharing. Thanks to another golfer I've checked with (you know who you are my friend)...who actually made this drill more of a habit for longer periods than me personally.

While one size doesn't fit all - you'd probably hear others who practice wedges off of boards and decking say things along these lines:

1. A more lofted wedge is typically used - maybe a 56* or even 60*. The goal is to accelerate through the strike and still manage to get a higher flight. Sounds like an impossibility given the bounce on the bottom of the club (we'll get to that in a minute).

2. Like you they often open up the face of the club in their initial grip, and also like you there's very much a goal of "picking it clean",

3. The clubface remains pointing skyward in your vids - just after impact. And with that, the handle moves around your left hip in the follow-through. Some call this "handle dragging" - some refer to it as "rounding the corner". I think you'd find that motion to be what others experience.

4. I believe the target for this drill might tend to be a little farther out typically - probably in the 20-40 yard range which would mean a little fuller swing. Not to get into the semantics of a chip shot versus pitch shot, but your trajectory with that club at that distance would be (IMO) perfectly fine. Your trajectory is very consistent which is a good thing!

Getting back to the "bounce" thing and seeming impossibility of hitting a higher longer shot with more lofted club off of boards/decking. IMHO it takes the following to pull it off.

There's a lot of different grinds on wedges out there with all levels of very little to lots of bounce.

Most wedges will let you open up the face in your grip (which you do). Depending on the grind and bounce the leading edge of the clubface will start to automatically "lift" a little at address when you do. But...that leading edge can make contact well below the equator of the ball. That edge by itself may not fully slip "under" the ball but its far enough below the equator that plenty of upward lift in trajectory still happens. The bounce is used to "skid" the clubhead through the strike which is why folks doing this drill often swing a longer targets... they're going for lots of acceleration.

For me personally (This may not work for you personally)...I set up with a little less forward press of the handle than for the lower/shorter chip shot. Like you I personally set the feet up to the left a bit and the clubface is a little right of the target. For me, I allow the trail elbow to be very slightly bent at setup. I swing the club back along the target line rather than swing it back up over my toe line. The toe of the club points to the sky going back through 9 o'clock and the face points to the sky just after impact - just like you do. At impact the handle and wrists are fully dumpling their angles and the butt end of the club is barely ahead of the ball or possibly even with it. But still, like you I'm picking it clean if possible and letting that handle swing around my left hip. So about the only difference in our two individual approaches is a little tweak to the trail (right) elbow, It's possible you set up with a little more forward press of the hand than me for this drill. You take it back over your toe line and for me it moves a little more back over the target line (more so than the toe line anyway). We both end up finishing the same (basically). It just so happens for me, I'd have a more lofted club and a little bigger swing but I "think" you and I are in the same general ball park FWIW.

The real test will be hearing if your next golf outing or two yield some nice little shots around the green with a great sense of control. It follows that anyone who can snag one off a wooden flat surface just might be comfortable hitting a routine golf shot out there since you've been tested by a drill that sounds simple but takes a little doing to get it right. Well done.

\

Thanks for your tolerance, Spooky. Here's specifically why the face-on thing was mentioned. Face on reveals ball placement in the stance;: weight over one or both feet; amount (if any) of forward press at address/impact, any lateral sway, etc. Those are all biggies. But I might be able to spare you the extra effort through sharing. Thanks to another golfer I've checked with (you know who you are my friend)...who actually made this drill more of a habit for longer periods than me personally.

While one size doesn't fit all - you'd probably hear others who practice wedges off of boards and decking say things along these lines:

1. A more lofted wedge is typically used - maybe a 56* or even 60*. The goal is to accelerate through the strike and still manage to get a higher flight. Sounds like an impossibility given the bounce on the bottom of the club (we'll get to that in a minute).

2. Like you they often open up the face of the club in their initial grip, and also like you there's very much a goal of "picking it clean",

3. The clubface remains pointing skyward in your vids - just after impact. And with that, the handle moves around your left hip in the follow-through. Some call this "handle dragging" - some refer to it as "rounding the corner". I think you'd find that motion to be what others experience.

4. I believe the target for this drill might tend to be a little farther out typically - probably in the 20-40 yard range which would mean a little fuller swing. Not to get into the semantics of a chip shot versus pitch shot, but your trajectory with that club at that distance would be (IMO) perfectly fine. Your trajectory is very consistent which is a good thing!

Getting back to the "bounce" thing and seeming impossibility of hitting a higher longer shot with more lofted club off of boards/decking. IMHO it takes the following to pull it off.

There's a lot of different grinds on wedges out there with all levels of very little to lots of bounce.

Most wedges will let you open up the face in your grip (which you do). Depending on the grind and bounce the leading edge of the clubface will start to automatically "lift" a little at address when you do. But...that leading edge can make contact well below the equator of the ball. That edge by itself may not fully slip "under" the ball but its far enough below the equator that plenty of upward lift in trajectory still happens. The bounce is used to "skid" the clubhead through the strike which is why folks doing this drill often swing a longer targets... they're going for lots of acceleration.

For me personally (This may not work for you personally)...I set up with a little less forward press of the handle than for the lower/shorter chip shot. Like you I personally set the feet up to the left a bit and the clubface is a little right of the target. For me, I allow the trail elbow to be very slightly bent at setup. I swing the club back along the target line rather than swing it back up over my toe line. The toe of the club points to the sky going back through 9 o'clock and the face points to the sky just after impact - just like you do. At impact the handle and wrists are fully dumpling their angles and the butt end of the club is barely ahead of the ball or possibly even with it. But still, like you I'm picking it clean if possible and letting that handle swing around my left hip. So about the only difference in our two individual approaches is a little tweak to the trail (right) elbow, It's possible you set up with a little more forward press of the hand than me for this drill. You take it back over your toe line and for me it moves a little more back over the target line (more so than the toe line anyway). We both end up finishing the same (basically). It just so happens for me, I'd have a more lofted club and a little bigger swing but I "think" you and I are in the same general ball park FWIW.

The real test will be hearing if your next golf outing or two yield some nice little shots around the green with a great sense of control. It follows that anyone who can snag one off a wooden flat surface just might be comfortable hitting a routine golf shot out there since you've been tested by a drill that sounds simple but takes a little doing to get it right. Well done.

Good stuff Judge. Well reasoned :) Questions: How far out do you use that bounce pitch shot? At what yardage do you use the leading edge and take a divot? Do you use the same shot with less lofted clubs for any reason like say a PW or 9 iron? I can do that shot from on the green for little ones. I struggle with tight wet lies or from bare dirt. Cushy fairway, no problem. Light rough even better. If I get one of the tough lies I tense up and have no confidence. Tense and scared and I don't have a chance. I also have to constantly monitor my set up. My hands ahead forward press habit is hard to break.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

\

Good stuff Judge. Well reasoned :) Questions: How far out do you use that bounce pitch shot? At what yardage do you use the leading edge and take a divot? Do you use the same shot with less lofted clubs for any reason like say a PW or 9 iron? I can do that shot from on the green for little ones. I struggle with tight wet lies or from bare dirt. Cushy fairway, no problem. Light rough even better. If I get one of the tough lies I tense up and have no confidence. Tense and scared and I don't have a chance. I also have to constantly monitor my set up. My hands ahead forward press habit is hard to break.

Those are some FANTASTIC questions, Scotee. You and I were asking each other similar questions a couple of weeks ago. I'll gladly trade answer with you - the best I can anyway. Maybe others have their thoughts on it as well - hopefully so.

Tight lies for whatever reason don't bug me. At the risk of annoying anyone who hates a good quality mat... using them has made me a little less fearful about tight lies. As long as that leading edge swiftly accelerates and makes contact well below the equator she's going to fly upward. It's only when I bottom out the swing behind the ball and the clubhead is actually rising at impact, I serve up the dreaded skulled/bladed missile goes flying over the back of the green. It's a "fat-thin" shot if that makes any sense.

I personally can only send the ball with my 60* about 45-50 yards max with this shot comfortably. The reason being the fuller and harder I swing that particular shot, all I'm getting in return is a higher shot versus one that goes farther. The energy is sending it "up" not "downrange" if that makes sense. For me the lie can't be too fluffy or the club mows the grass right under the ball sending it nowhere - and the max distance in a normal to tight lie is about 40-50 yards tops with a 60*.

I might on occasion use the 56 and feel sure I've done this with the 52. They can be opened up, too, and everything still applies I suppose. A little test swing through the grass nearby the ball would tell me if the bounce on those clubs might be a little better for a particular lie (or not). How much farther or lower is the trajectory for those club options? Here's a dirty little truth.. I'm not really sure. They're somewhat lower and longer and roll-out a little more but I can't usually predict by how much to be honest.

So the 56 or 60 would normally be what I'd reach for and it would be for less than 50 yards - and only when I'm in a spot where it's got to fly close to the hole and send it high.

BUT... these are not shots in all honesty I'm in love with. I never know how much of that energy flying it "up" is going to translate into a desired landing spot downrange. It's (for me) a little too unpredictable. Anytime around the the green I try it and the lie is uphill, I always take one to two less lofted clubs just to get there and not come up a mile short.

And lack of "loving" this higher flying bounce-based shot introduces what I'd far prefer executing, which goes to the other part of your question... which is to basically NOT do anything remotely approaching a flop shot, but rather to lean that handle and get it jumping off the sweet-spot and driving it more forward and lower. THAT one is far more in my comfort zone. For every once I've personally practiced that shot off of lumber with the bounce activated, I've got ten thousand shots practiced and played that were the opposite.

More to come later. Sorry about needing to right now - but I need to step away for a bit.

All I can say is that my attempts at hitting flop shots were successful ....the shot flopped....i took the 60 out of the bag

and used it to adorn the " No CARTS BEYOND" sign in the grass off the patio.. I use the 52/56...they suit me better.

I have found that i play more bump and run around the green. I just feel I can control the distance better..Normally use an

8i for that. The 56 is normally the club for pitches inside 80 yrds.....I use The Peltz clock method and have three lengths

that I can be reasonably close to achieving...

I find it very telling that there is a "bounce " discussion taking place without it bouncing into unplayable territory ! Great work

grillers !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

All I can say is that my attempts at hitting flop shots were successful ....the shot flopped....i took the 60 out of the bag

and used it to adorn the " No CARTS BEYOND" sign in the grass off the patio.. I use the 52/56...they suit me better.

I have found that i play more bump and run around the green. I just feel I can control the distance better..Normally use an

8i for that. The 56 is normally the club for pitches inside 80 yrds.....I use The Peltz clock method and have three lengths

that I can be reasonably close to achieving...

I find it very telling that there is a "bounce " discussion taking place without it bouncing into unplayable territory ! Great work

grillers !

Preach it Reverend Bill - That's very much the way I see it personally as well. I believe it was Jon Daly who said his go-to stick around the greens is his lob wedge. He's learned when to put it back in his stance and chip with it - and when to fly it high and land it soft. Guess he invested in the feel and techniques to stick more to one more lofted club and for him - that's clearly a great decision.

Scotee I might be in the minority but to finish trying to answer your question about divots....

Keep in mind I'm just finding my way through darkness just like the next guy - so I can be as wrong as the day is long. But I rarely think "divot" per se around the greens. I tend to want to brush the grass so to speak even when the handle is leaning. The "might" as a result of moving the ball back int he stance be some divot taken - but for me it's rarely much of one. I suppose the exception might be with the lie is that think wiry stuff, or the grain is a big deal and it's growing right into the path of the clubface. Might in such circumstances just go ahead and pick that club up sharply in the takeaway and just plop the clubhead downward "at" the ball - diving that leading edge downward into the back of the ball. Leading edge might well end up "planting" into the turf with little or no follow-through. Sort of a chop or chunk type thing. No doubt we've all gone for that one from time to time. To be honest, I've got to really be "seeing" and "feeling" that one to do it with confidence. Old Reason has been known to "think" that's the ideal shot and end up chunking it about a foot rather than over the collar.

So what do you think in terms of divots and club selection? You have a favorite club or go-to shot your eye normally sees first?

Last one from here and we can (if you all want or care to) move to whatever else floats your own boat. Just kicking tires guys. This one will be it from moi about this goofy stuff for a while.

We've been talking about rounding the corner, and handle dragging and such things. As we all know all that goofiness is essentially about finding a smooth, natural way to compress that ball - ball-first type stuff. We could pick minutiae inside of it to death if we wanted in terms of how this "rounding the corner" thing allow the wrist to unhinge and swing the club around the body without one of those two goals ruining the other.

Fine. A million videos and words on the page could be batted around for decades but at the end of the day that's what such stuff is getting at.

Just showing a vid that I found which sums up something my instructor shared with me recently. He didn't show me the vid - but the lesson was pretty much what follows down to the last word. Old Reason had fallen a little too much in love with shaft-lean and late hit and all sorts of notions that are all well intended - but can slip into being too much of a good thing.

This is what he has me working on. LMAO - it's almost backwards to what I've spent a lot of time and energy avoiding. Notice it's basically about letting it release fully - little nuance about "posting up" to go with what the hands and arms are doing... but it's essentially about letting her fly versus any form of holding off.

Goofy game, isn't it? We work on ways to not release it too early and fall in love with the notion. Then it's about going ahead and letting go through the strike. Anywho - this is what the instructor wants me going for now. I was suddenly, and for the the first time in years hitting pushes with irons and push-slices with driver. Not typical ball flights for moi. Normally fight the opposite problem if anything. Goofy thing is, I'll fall in love with this one and he'll be dialing me back into the world I just abandoned.

Golf is HARD! lol

TDF is probably my 3rd fav sporting event, behind march madness and the world series. This year is developing with a lot of the big names not getting in the yellow except Sagan. That guy is a beast. He could power an entire town if they hooked him up to a generator. Other bigs are not popping - Richie Porter, Nabili, Froome, Cavendish. However, the big name teams are still hanging with the field - Sky, Movistar, BMC. As always, will come down to the mountains. Gonna be a good one.

I gotta get back on my machine and do more riding...

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***)