Extremely Sketchy Recoil Prototype Listing on EBay. Likely fake.

Jagpilotohio

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Public service announcement. I just bought some wedges and I want to re-shaft them with Recoil Prototype 125’s.

A listing for multiple 4-pw sets for $270 obo on the Bay catches my eye. Very Strange because they retail for $80 each and I’ve never seen such a low price on NEW Protos. Not even close. I’ve been playing them 2 years.

I email the seller, who has been selling on EBay a whole 3 WEEKS....giant red flag....and ask if he can get me just wedge shafts and if so, how much?

After a couple Emails, all answered very quickly, He replies $40 each. $120 for 3, including shipping. Crazy low.

Here is the rest of the conversation. First message is at the bottom. He still has not returned my last message from 3 hours ago. I wonder why? He has other UST stuff listed as well. I’d stay away. It Smells as fishy as it gets.

Edit..... since a few aren't seeing the time line. The message at the TOP is the LAST one in the string. There were a couple of very cordial early messages to start the thread that wouldn’t fit on the screenshot.

Well, I believe an apology is in order...

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

I just weighed each shaft the heaviest was 111.1gr's and the lightest was 110.4gr's. I also inspected the tips and they looked impeccable. Next step will be checking each frequency. So far so good!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

This thread is funnier the second time through, knowing that these shafts are not fake.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

In defense of everyone who claimed fowl play the prices were indeed very unrealistic it's easy to understand the resulting concerns. The intentions are pure I can dig it...

This thread is funnier the second time through, knowing that these shafts are not fake.

Correct and still no apology from the OP.

Why is an apology needed? Who really cares?

He called out an individual as a liar and thief. Seems self explanatory.

I get it, but if you want him to apologize have him send the seller an apology and why he's apologizing. Apologizing here doesn't make any sense.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

I get it, but if you want him to apologize have him send the seller an apology and why he's apologizing. Apologizing here doesn't make any sense.

You’re not wrong and I see your point. However, I tend to think that if you make false public accusations, you owe a public apology. There is also the aspec of how doggedly he attack those who questioned the possibility that the shafts were real.

Except to acknowledge and inform anyone who reads this thread that he was incorrect and accused someone of selling counterfeit shafts, when they are clearly not. It's the same sort of PSA he jumped all over while uninformed. Regardless of intention.

In defense of everyone who claimed fowl play the prices were indeed very unrealistic it's easy to understand the resulting concerns. The intentions are pure I can dig it...

I get where you’re coming from, and agree with that aspect, but the insulting, condescending, and slightly indignant tone the OP took was a little too far. It went from looking out for the community to taking up the battle flag that these were counterfeit and anyone who said otherwise needed to be insultingly corrected.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

I have a feeling my 3 wedge shafts aren't going to ever show up.... Nothing yet and ordered 2 weeks ago. Anyone else still waiting?

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

Long time reader, but not active in the forums much.....but figured i would jump in. I ended up ordering a Proto 110 utility shaft; 4-PW Proto 125 shafts; and (3) Proto Wedge Shafts. Seller messaged me to let him know when it arrives, he thinks he may have sent the wrong items. I opened it up today, and it is only 4-PW in Proto 110's. Waiting to hear back from him now. If someone out there is waiting on some 110's, you may be getting my order lol. I will say the 110's do appear 100% legit vs others i have laying in the garage.

I have a feeling my 3 wedge shafts aren't going to ever show up.... Nothing yet and ordered 2 weeks ago. Anyone else still waiting?

Yep still waiting for two wood shafts, been over a week now. He said they would be shipped out early this week, so I guess that didn't work out. I'm just hoping he won't cancel the order and I'll eventually get them, no rush though. I ordered them as an experiment to see if they were real when this thread had just gotten started.

Quick update, the seller has been in constant communication, and is shipping the correct order and sending a label as well so i can send the wrong ones back. All in all, not an ideal situation but i understand mistakes can happen when shipping to numerous people.If i get the correct shafts in the end, all will be good. Still great shafts at a great deal. Fingers crossed it was just a shipping mixup

It kills me that some guys aren’t getting the simplicity of this and so badly want them to be real.

Let’s use cars. I like cars.

A New Ferrari 488 GTB is $252,000 base price. There are a very limited number available and only sold through authorized Ferrari dealerships.

I see an add on eBay for one for $80,000 from a dealer no one has ever heard of and that I know Ferrari does not sell to because they told me this directly. It’s 1/3 of list price, And he has lots of them available at this price.

Do I possibly think for one split second think that this makes sense? Of course not. It’s obviously impossible.

It’s impossible to sell seemingly endless amounts of product for less than the manufacturer actually charges for them wholesale.

Great thread from the OP here. Thanks for taking the time to warn others.

I find the whole situation a bit odd. On one hand, there is very little chance that the seller has legit inventory. On the other hand, the entire market for recoil protos is like 5 dudes posting on this site. It seems weird that such a low demand item would be knocked off.

I was in the market for an attas shaft last year and spent some time on ebay looking for them. I saw many of the too good to be true posts and steered clear. I ended up buying one on eBay from a highly regarded dealer. Don’t want to use the name because I’m not sure if he would somehow be in trouble for selling so low. The price from the famous legit seller ended up being barely higher than the fishy listing. Ust products just don’t seem to be generating the brand recognition right now. Seems like a weird target for someone to churn out knockoffs.

If I had to guess, I would think that there is some shady business going on at the factory. Either some one from the assembly line stealing, or perhaps the factory bosses churn out a little extra product and sell it on the side.

It kills me that some guys aren’t getting the simplicity of this and so badly want them to be real.

A New Ferrari 488 GTB is $252,000 base price. There are a very limited number available and only sold through authorized Ferrari dealerships.

I see an add on eBay for one for $80,000 from a dealer no one has ever heard of and that I know Ferrari does not sell to because they told me this directly. It’s 1/3 of list price, And he has lots of them available at this price.

Do I possibly think for one split second think that this makes sense? Of course not. It’s obviously impossible.

It’s impossible to sell seemingly endless amounts of product for less than the manufacturer actually charges for them wholesale.

I find the whole situation a bit odd. On one hand, there is very little chance that the seller has legit inventory. On the other hand, the entire market for recoil protos is like 5 dudes posting on this site. It seems weird that such a low demand item would be knocked off.

I was in the market for an attas shaft last year and spent some time on ebay looking for them. I saw many of the too good to be true posts and steered clear. I ended up buying one on eBay from a highly regarded dealer. Don’t want to use the name because I’m not sure if he would somehow be in trouble for selling so low. The price from the famous legit seller ended up being barely higher than the fishy listing. Ust products just don’t seem to be generating the brand recognition right now. Seems like a weird target for someone to churn out knockoffs.

If I had to guess, I would think that there is some shady business going on at the factory. Either some one from the assembly line stealing, or perhaps the factory bosses churn out a little extra product and sell it on the side.

Very little chance the Seller has legit inventory? I proved my shafts are 100% authentic so not following you...

Very little chance the Seller has legit inventory? I proved my shafts are 100% authentic so not following you...

He/she, obviously, didn’t read the entire thread.

It kills me that some guys aren't getting the simplicity of this and so badly want them to be real.

Let's use cars. I like cars.

I see an add on eBay for one for $80,000 from a dealer no one has ever heard of and that I know Ferrari does not sell to because they told me this directly. It's 1/3 of list price, And he has lots of them available at this price.

Do I possibly think for one split second think that this makes sense? Of course not. It's obviously impossible.

It's impossible to sell seemingly endless amounts of product for less than the manufacturer actually charges for them wholesale.

I was in the market for an attas shaft last year and spent some time on ebay looking for them. I saw many of the too good to be true posts and steered clear. I ended up buying one on eBay from a highly regarded dealer. Don't want to use the name because I'm not sure if he would somehow be in trouble for selling so low. The price from the famous legit seller ended up being barely higher than the fishy listing. Ust products just don't seem to be generating the brand recognition right now. Seems like a weird target for someone to churn out knockoffs.

He/she, obviously, didn't read the entire thread.

Yeah sorry, I was like halfway through and thought I read the entire thread for some reason. Apologies for the nonsensical post.

So the shafts are legit apparently, which is nice for everyone. Did the guy ever confirm whether he was involved in some type of liquidation situation or is that an educated guess?

For the poster who bought the prototype hybrid shaft, how does it play? I've had my eye on that one.

Has anybody bought one of the Elements Platinum shafts from him? Could you pm me what offer he accepted, so I might know where to start at? TIA!

Public service announcement. I just bought some wedges and I want to re-shaft them with Recoil Prototype 125’s.

A listing for multiple 4-pw sets for $270 obo on the Bay catches my eye. Very Strange because they retail for $80 each and I’ve never seen such a low price on NEW Protos. Not even close. I’ve been playing them 2 years.

I email the seller, who has been selling on EBay a whole 3 WEEKS....giant red flag....and ask if he can get me just wedge shafts and if so, how much?

After a couple Emails, all answered very quickly, He replies $40 each. $120 for 3, including shipping. Crazy low.

Here is the rest of the conversation. First message is at the bottom. He still has not returned my last message from 3 hours ago. I wonder why? He has other UST stuff listed as well. I’d stay away. It Smells as fishy as it gets.

Edit..... since a few aren't seeing the time line. The message at the TOP is the LAST one in the string. There were a couple of very cordial early messages to start the thread that wouldn’t fit on the screenshot.

I haven’t been on this thread for a while, but I’d you're referring to me about an apology.....when hell freezes over.

I will summarize for the umpteenth time for those joining us late.

The Seller refused to answer any of my questions directly, refused to tell me if he was a tspx dealer or even a golf shop owner, he refused to give any reason at all as to why he was able to sell a huge number of these shafts far below wholesale. If anyone out there is Ok with that then I suggest you have a problem and you are ripe to get ripped off.

I found the original listing in December when it was extremely new and he had only a few sales on an ebay account that was only opened in Mid November of last year.

I require EVERY single question I ask a seller to receive a completely believable and reasonable Response. If it doesn’t, I’m out. Every time. This guy wouldn’t answer anything. 100% evasive.

When I very politely ask for a backstory on who he is, where these come from, and why can he sell them so cheap, This piece of work simply says, and I’m picturing a Texas Drawl..., “now don’t you go worrying about where I get them, I can tell you they’re real”.

That’s it. Nothing else. Sorry, thats NEVER going to work for me.

I still have no idea how or why he can sell these so cheap, if they are in fact real. And trust me, just because Lindsay told Big Ben they look real from those pictures, That’s not enough for me. Did they go out the back door of the factory in Bangledesh? Did they fall off a truck in Dallas? Is UST closing out the line and liquidating them without telling anyone? Without a specific explanation From UST I’m still assuming they’re fake or stolen.

Anyone who is OK with buying from a total stranger on EBay when something makes absolutely no sense has a different world view than I do. I distrust everyone on ebay until proven otherwise.

Edit... Oh yeah....they’re now at $560 a set OBO. Anyone want to explain that? They were $170 OBO 2 weeks ago.

I haven’t been on this thread for a while, but I’d you're referring to me about an apology.....when hell freezes over.

I will summarize for the umpteenth time for those joining us late.

The Seller refused to answer any of my questions directly, refused to tell me if he was a tspx dealer or even a golf shop owner, he refused to give any reason at all as to why he was able to sell a huge number of these shafts far below wholesale. If anyone out there is Ok with that then I suggest you have a problem and you are ripe to get ripped off.

I found the original listing in December when it was extremely new and he had only a few sales on an ebay account that was only opened in Mid November of last year.

I require EVERY single question I ask a seller to receive a completely believable and reasonable Response. If it doesn’t, I’m out. Every time. This guy wouldn’t answer anything. 100% evasive.

When I very politely ask for a backstory on who he is, where these come from, and why can he sell them so cheap, This piece of work simply says, and I’m picturing a Texas Drawl..., “now don’t you go worrying about where I get them, I can tell you they’re real”.

That’s it. Nothing else. Sorry, thats NEVER going to work for me.

I still have no idea how or why he can sell these so cheap, if they are in fact real. And trust me, just because Lindsay told Big Ben they look real from those pictures, That’s not enough for me. Did they go out the back door of the factory in Bangledesh? Did they fall off a truck in Dallas? Is UST closing out the line and liquidating them without telling anyone? Without a specific explanation From UST I’m still assuming they’re fake or stolen.

Anyone who is OK with buying from a total stranger on EBay when something makes absolutely no sense has a different world view than I do. I distrust everyone on ebay until proven otherwise.

Edit... Oh yeah....they’re now at $560 a set OBO. Anyone want to explain that? They were $170 OBO 2 weeks ago.