Ping G400 Drivers

GolfWRX

Any 115/SS guys hit the Kuro in X with the G400 or LST, keen to hear how it works for you?

I have this setup in this swing speed and I love it. Very consistent for me. 10* head digitally lofted @9.5. No idea on spin numbers as i ordered the X without hitting it as thr shop didnt have that shaft to demo.

Good to hear, is this in the G400 or the LST?

Does it give mid launch or do you find in the X that it launches lower?

I have it in the LST head. I would say im firmly in the mid window. I am not a low ball ball striker though. Probably play a mid to high ball flight.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is the Max sound really that off-putting vs the regular or LST?

Sound IMO is so subjective. Me I love the sound of the Max because it just sounds so powerful when hit. Some will say it sounds too loud, I say to them to try the driver outdoors where golf is played. It's not nearly as loud when its hit outdoors. Go and hit one yourself and make up your own mind.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

A question for the veteran g400 users. I'm looking to test one soon and will get fit etc.., but for those of you who want low spin but not a wide open face, did you find that setting the 8.5 to the + setting actually gave higher launch than standard position? I may be in the minority but prefer drivers looking very square at address and the g400 at neutral setting looks a little too open for me. (high spin player hence why looking at the LST)

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

To follow up to my previous post:

I've only had the Pro Orage (PO) out for one round in the LST head so far; I hoping to get out a few times in the next week or so as I have some time off work.

So far I love it. The PO seems to launch lower with a lower peak height than the Diamana B (DB) and the PING Tour (PT), with a really smooth feel. It doesn't feel overly stiff at all. So far it seems to be a good combination of launch, spin, peak height and roll out.

The LST/PO combo impressed me enough to take it out for more. As I said before, the acoustics of the LST head are quite nice and it just seems to want to go straight. I hit a few drives with it that would normally end up 20-30 yards off line, but the LST only seemed to veer off by 10-15 yards.

I'll be testing a few other shafts in the LST head over the next few weeks, including a Diamana W, HZRDUS Black, Aldila Rogue, and an old school Blueboard 73. I like the PO a lot, but I need to see if its good enough to warrant the $300+ price tag.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I am gaming the G LSTec but thinking of switching to the G400. My miss tends to be a block. Should I stick with the G?

I have the same problem with my G30 LST. It’s very hard to turn over. I’d try the G400.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Just picked up the LST version, 8.5. Lower spinning and much higher launching than my 2017 M2 (turned down to 8ish degrees loft). Wants to flight very straight, which is taking a bit of getting used to. I normally play bigger draws/fades than this club wants to produce. So far haven't had any big misses left (typical bad shot for me). Real world distance is about the same, but the lower spin gets it out there further when hitting a slight fade. LST sounds better, and I prefer the smaller head size relative to the M2. I think LST is possibly more consistent on mis-hits - no drop out of the sky knuckleballs yet, which I've had with low spin drivers in the past. TBH, they're both great clubs and I could easily put the M2 back in the bag. Previously had Epic SZ, which I hated. Hook machine for me.

Been having a battle with my Max and a 2016 M1.... I will say, when the M1 is struck well, it's really impressive... BUT, overall the Max is impressive, ALL the time. I'm not a super huge fan of how busy the crown is but it is performing so I can't knock it too much for all that. The regular G400 was good for me, too, but the Max is as good, with more forgiveness.... pretty awesome.

I'll say other drivers will have that one monster omg driver here and there but also have the wild crazy miss shots as well. The only driver I found similar in dispersion was the 917 but much shorter with misses; misses with 400 lst and max were in play and relatively long for a miss, that's what other clubs i have tested lacked as well as equal directional consistency. 917 miss is straight but short, the center hit is only a little behind tho so 917 is best in a while but new Titleist might catch up

I could not agree more... The 917 D3 was just as good as the regular G400, for me, really could have gamed either one, left both to try out a 2016 M2 which I do not see the love that everyone else sees.... I may pick up another D3 with the D+ 70 if I can find one in good shape. Beautiful looking driver that really performs. The D2 was good but I got those short misses you mentioned.... Tough for anything to match the performance of the MAX, though.

I agree, I had G25, standard G400, then cobra f8+, which was quiet sound, and accurate, but the G25 is long, maybe a tinny sound, and was actually as long as 400 standard. yesterday was playing 400Max and to be 90 yards out on a 390 par 4 after my drive made the short par 4’s and par 5’s really short. 400 Max to me is like a G25 with more distance and more forgiving. After reading some of the reviews and some other forums about the 400 max I was very hesitant to buy one because my natural shot in the street to draw and it said that the 400 max would be a club that will likely more like to fade but yesterday we had dogleg right doglegs left and I was able to work the ball any directions said it 10 1/2° and I mean 280 to 300 yard drives for someone that’s 64 with 100 mile an hour swing speed is a fantastic club after reading some of the reviews and some of the forums about the 400 max I was very hesitant to buy one because my natural shot is a straight to draw and it said that the 400 max would be a club that will likely more like to fade but yesterday we had dogleg rights doglegs left, I was able to work the ball in the direction I wanted, I mean 280 to 300 yard drives for someone that’s 64 with 100 mile an hour swing speed, its a fantastic club.

I still have my G 25, the guys at Continental Golf that do all my clubs, I had them cut that down to 43 inches is just like a long iron with the driver head. It’s long as well as accurate.

Posted here previously how happy I am with my new G400 10.5 & AD Di6 combo, my previous driver was the G30, prior to that Titleist 913 & 915.

Today was an exceptional day, was hitting the ball well & broke 80 (39/37) on Hole #2 - 483 yd Par 5 on my home course, hit 261 yd drive slight draw down middle then hit G400 3 wood 224 yds and it stopped on the green approx 18 ft from Blue pin, make a good putt for my first Eagle this season.

I'm not sure what Ping can do to improve on the G400 line, this is the best driver, woods, hybrid's, I have ever gamed.

Really enjoying the summer golf season.

Cheers

David

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

^^^The only improvement I would like to see is the sound of the G400 fairway woods. I have the 14.5* and its a beast, but its loud and obnoxious. The hybrids have a really nice muted click sound.

I've really been enjoying the G400 LST driver. I changed from the Tensei Pro Orange V2 to a HZRDUS Black 62 and its even better for me (which I didn't think was possible). I am more of a hitter than a swinger and the HZRDUS just seems to fit that style better. I'll be selling the Pro Orange soon.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I have the regular G400 10.5 degree and the Max in the 9 degree. In hindsight I would have bought the 10 degree LST head instead of the regular head. I have the Tour shaft 65 shaft, the Alta shaft and a Kuro Kage. I go back and forth as to which combination I like the best. The heads are fantastic. My experience echos what has been said on the forums; the regular head feels and sounds better, the Max is straighter. Both are awesome heads.

The other day I was on the range and a kid that I know that plays D1 college golf came down. I noticed the G400 head cover in his bag (he's a Titleist guy). He's one of those guys that has no idea about his equipment, just what works and what doesn't. (Probably has no idea about this site either- total loser) He told me he loved the driver - much better numbers than his Titleist driver. Got custom fit for the Ping. I pulled it out of his bag, he had the regular head 10.5 degree. Same head as mine right. His head was fitted with the TPT shaft. I don't know which TPT shaft he had, nor did he. (stickers weren't on it) I'm assuming it was the 15 series because of his swing speed. I asked him if I could hit it and he said sure. It was the best! I mean the best driver EVER! I hit the damn thing one time and put it back. That shaft is freakin awesome. Wow. I gave it the waggle test and it felt kind loose like a regular flex. He seemed to think the same thing. But when you swing it, you know exactly where the head is. The feeling is off the charts. The performance is off the charts. I've hit every mainstream company's driver offering other than PXG; and owned too many to count. The Tour 65 is such a good shaft. The Alta shaft is great but spins a little too much for me. I came home and got online to research the shaft. Hmmm - kinda pricey @ $500 ish. But damn I can sure make a case for that shaft. I will have that shaft soon. It's the Holy Grail for now!

• 3 weeks later...

Sold my 2017 M1 and my 2017 M2 tour issue and got a G400 lst 8.5 and I am trying a handcrafted evenflow black 6.5 63g in it. Range and then a round tommrow. See if I can get back to my good driving that I am known for.. had the g30 and really liked it but went to the M1 for about a year. Consistency has gone down with the M1

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

My new G400 with Ad Di6 just keeps on giving, with little to no rain, dried out fairways and a slight push breeze, hit my best driver ever, it was on a 343 yd par 4, was 49 yds out, hit a ½ 60* to 5 ft to made birdie, which helped me break 80 today, my handicap is going down as a result of the G400's in the bag. Just love these clubs.

D.

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

How does the LST head compare to, say the sldr heads, spin wise?

Complete apples and oranges. The SLDR family was low spin because of extremely low MOI, which made them unforgiving and erratic for a lot of people. When PING brands something "LST" it is only considered "low spin" in relation to their other drivers. Looking at the PING G LST for example, its only about 6% lower MOI than the standard G with only a slightly lower COG putting it very close to something like a 2016 M2. Strike for strike it would be slightly lower spin than the standard G but still in a completely different world from the SLDR which with its extremely low MOI is capable of almost impractical levels of spin reduction when struck properly which was why the whole "loft up" movement was pushed. The SLDR was a pretty radical outlier that produced insane numbers under very specific circumstances, PING on the other hand prefers to keep things in the realm of practical usability for everyone.

Think of it like a Formula 1 car vs. a luxury sports car. Yes the Formula 1 is going to be capable of much faster speeds but at the expense of comfort and practicality. If you want that then great, there it is, but don't expect much else out of it.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Sold my 2017 M1 and my 2017 M2 tour issue and got a G400 lst 8.5 and I am trying a handcrafted evenflow black 6.5 63g in it. Range and then a round tommrow. See if I can get back to my good driving that I am known for.. had the g30 and really liked it but went to the M1 for about a year. Consistency has gone down with the M1

I just upgraded to the exact same setup, except I got the 10* LST to help with launch conditions. I'm playing the 10* LST with the Even Flow Black 65g 6.5 playing at 44.75". I've only played one round with it, but I think I've found the answer. The G400 just wants to go straight. I've never seen anything like it. By far the best driving round I've ever had. I had the Rogue SZ and while it was probably longer when I hit it good, the G400 really shines on mishits. Distance loss on a bad strike was negligible. The LST with the Even Flow Black is an absolute winner.

I just upgraded to the exact same setup, except I got the 10* LST to help with launch conditions. I'm playing the 10* LST with the Even Flow Black 65g 6.5 playing at 44.75". I've only played one round with it, but I think I've found the answer. The G400 just wants to go straight. I've never seen anything like it. By far the best driving round I've ever had. I had the Rogue SZ and while it was probably longer when I hit it good, the G400 really shines on mishits. Distance loss on a bad strike was negligible. The LST with the Even Flow Black is an absolute winner.

I agree. I swing it at 122mph and have it turned to 5$3 little “-“ and just absolutely kill it. Hit every fairway and mangled everyone of them. I gps measured one at 374 yards on a short par 5 today. Had 96 yards left to the pin

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Maybe in Favor of more hot melt weight to move the cg where he prefers it.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW