2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Is Callaway Apex (2014 model) holding up?

Niels1971

Hi,

I'm playing of 21,5, and game a set of Callaway XR (2015-edition). I'm enjoying a good season, my hcp has dropped a couple of shots, mostly due to better ballstriking.

There's nothing wrong with my current set of clubs, and it has been my intention to stay with these at least a year or two, before buying new clubs.

However, I have been offered a set of used Callaway Apex (2014 edition), with specs and shafts that suits me, at an affordable price.

I tried the Apex when I bought my current irons, and they just felt so nice when I hit the sweetspot, but at that time I just needed more forgiveness.

The sane part of by brain tells me to forget all about the Apex, and just carry on with the XR's, but it's hard to let go of the idea.

Anyone in here still gaming the Apex 2014, who think it's worth a try (or waste of money)?

Regards

Niels

If you like them, if they have not delaminated (very common, that is why they went back to chrome with the 2016s), and if the price is very very good then why not? Remember you could buy new 2017 Cobra F7 for around $250, new mizunos for around $300-$350, new Adams for under $150

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Apex are great clubs, but there isnt much difference between them and the XR you currently game. The Apex have forged bodies and cast faces, but its not a true forged iron so its not that much of a drastically different feel. I think youd be better off saving your money until you are ready to replace your irons with something new or something that fits you game more in two years. I have a set of the Apex 2014 in my basement that were a set my brother got rid of this year and we loan out to friends who want to learn to golf or need to borrow a set for a company golf tournament, they are a great set and everyone likes them, but I dont think youll see any major changes between the two sets with the same shaft and specs.

• Like 1

They're offered at 390$

5-PW, and a 50 and a 56 degree wedge (Cleveland RTX 588).

Both irons and wedges are 0,5" long and 2 degrees upright, which suits me perfectly.

Can do much better than that. Got mine in great condition off eBag for $180.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

I currently play the Apex CF16s but I don't really see a big difference between them and the original Apex irons. I still own that set which I use for travel and I play fine with them.

At address the original Apex and Apex CF16’s look identical to me. They play about the same as well to me. I own both as well. Great irons!

I have two sets of 2014 Apex Pros, which some complained about satin finish wear. Probably about 200 rounds with one set, about 100 with the other, both holding up very well (thanks Castle Bay for great iron covers you manufacture).

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Linkerpan where are these new mizzys for $350 you speak of? I've seen used for $200-$300

Keep an eye on eBay sellers like ksouth9, quickshipgolf and tee2green6931. I got mp25 for $325, many got mp15 and jpx EZ for less than that. Submit offers. I got a set of 3 new MP T5 wedges for around $113

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

They're offered at 390$

5-PW, and a 50 and a 56 degree wedge (Cleveland RTX 588).

Both irons and wedges are 0,5" long and 2 degrees upright, which suits me perfectly.

Can do much better than that. Got mine in great condition off eBag for $180.

Probably not in Denmark.

OP, your XR irons will be more forgiving. If you want them, and can afford them, buy them. I like the 14’s better than the 16’s because of the cup face.

Hi,

I'm playing of 21,5, and game a set of Callaway XR (2015-edition). I'm enjoying a good season, my hcp has dropped a couple of shots, mostly due to better ballstriking.

There's nothing wrong with my current set of clubs, and it has been my intention to stay with these at least a year or two, before buying new clubs.

However, I have been offered a set of used Callaway Apex (2014 edition), with specs and shafts that suits me, at an affordable price.

I tried the Apex when I bought my current irons, and they just felt so nice when I hit the sweetspot, but at that time I just needed more forgiveness.

The sane part of by brain tells me to forget all about the Apex, and just carry on with the XR's, but it's hard to let go of the idea.

Anyone in here still gaming the Apex 2014, who think it's worth a try (or waste of money)?

Regards

Niels

I'm still playing them and don't plan on changing any time soon. I haven't had any problems with the finish. My only complaint is they seem to get beat up a bit more than other clubs from bag chatter.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm 65yo and play off a h'cap of between 2 to 6, I go out to 5/6 in winter due to stronger winds and less driver distance.

I've had a set of 2014 Apex Forged 4-PW+GW with TT XP95 S300 and loved them from day 1, I must be partially OCD as I always use head covers on my irons, other than a bit of wear on my #7 I use mainly for practice and GW faces and a little bit of wear on the soles, they still look great and finish is almost perfect, I'd say a 9/10.

Because I use the #7 mainly for practice, I did purchase a replacement #7 from Callaway Pre-Owned some time back.

I've wanted to update, purchased the CF16's and Rogue Pro CF18's and only gamed for about 3 weeks before selling.

Recently I purchased the Apex Forged CF19 Combo set with Elevate S300, thought these would be perfect as there were some improvements over my Apex Forged 14's on the launch monitor when I got fitted. I gamed for a good 6 weeks, 3 times a week, I was getting good results but just don't like the feel, feedback and sound I get from the Apex Forged CF19's, strikes just feel like they're LOW IN THE FACE, like a groove too low. For some reason my irons to par 3's were quite bad, struggled to find the green.

For the time being, I've gone back to the Apex Forged 14's and good strikes are just pure, get a subtle click, I'll try the Apex Forged CF19 Combo set again soon and I have a spare set of TT XP95 S300 shafts.

I'm tempted to purchase a spare set of Apex Forged 14's if I can find a decent set, just as a backup.

Cheerz :) :D ;)

> @daMANiack said:

> Hi,

>

> I'm 65yo and play off a h'cap of between 2 to 6, I go out to 5/6 in winter due to stronger winds and less driver distance.

>

> I've had a set of 2014 Apex Forged 4-PW+GW with TT XP95 S300 and loved them from day 1, I must be partially OCD as I always use head covers on my irons, other than a bit of wear on my #7 I use mainly for practice and GW faces and a little bit of wear on the soles, they still look great and finish is almost perfect, I'd say a 9/10.

>

> Because I use the #7 mainly for practice, I did purchase a replacement #7 from Callaway Pre-Owned some time back.

>

> I've wanted to update, purchased the CF16's and Rogue Pro CF18's and only gamed for about 3 weeks before selling.

>

> Recently I purchased the Apex Forged CF19 Combo set with Elevate S300, thought these would be perfect as there were some improvements over my Apex Forged 14's on the launch monitor when I got fitted. I gamed for a good 6 weeks, 3 times a week, I was getting good results but just don't like the feel, feedback and sound I get from the Apex Forged CF19's, strikes just feel like they're LOW IN THE FACE, like a groove too low. For some reason my irons to par 3's were quite bad, struggled to find the green.

>

> For the time being, I've gone back to the Apex Forged 14's and good strikes are just pure, get a subtle click, I'll try the Apex Forged CF19 Combo set again soon and I have a spare set of TT XP95 S300 shafts.

>

> I'm tempted to purchase a spare set of Apex Forged 14's if I can find a decent set, just as a backup.

>

> Cheerz :) :D ;)

I'm just like you. Game the 14s

picked up a set of 19s, but they're in the second bag lol. Back to the 14s

I just found a like new set of the 14s when mine wear out. Can't believe I found another set, but I had to pick them up when I found them. Paid a decent amount for them, but haven't seen a set in decent shape for a long time

Yadi for President

I regret trading mine in for the Rogue Pros. Big mistake and the Rogue's build came all screwed up from Callaway.

My apex were a custom build by a builder in Washington. 5-8 Apex, 9-gw apex pro. Recoil 95 F3. Only complaint about them is I'd get some real jumpers off the face of the 8 iron sometimes. I mean, it would go 15 yards longer than usual on occasion. Only the 8...weird. Otherwise great clubs.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I still have my 14s shafted with steelfiber i95. best set ive had in a very long tme. Went to the 16s but kept going back to 14s with cup face. Finally sold the 16s. The XR line may be a tad more forgiving but the more you play and practice with the 14s, the better the 14s will feel. These 14s are good enough, its slowed my hoing days to a slow halt ...as retched as that may sound..390 might be a bit much, negotiate!!! but they are worth it imo.

> @player12 said:

> I still have my 14s shafted with steelfiber i95. best set ive had in a very long tme. Went to the 16s but kept going back to 14s with cup face. Finally sold the 16s. The XR line may be a tad more forgiving but the more you play and practice with the 14s, the better the 14s will feel. These 14s are good enough, its slowed my hoing days to a slow halt ...as retched as that may sound..390 might be a bit much, negotiate!!! but they are worth it imo.

My exact set up as well

Love, love them

Yadi for President

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I purchased the 2014 Apex Forged 4 to PW + AW with TT XP95 S300 when they were first released.

I've tried not to like them, purchased CF16's, CF18 Combo and Rogue Pro CF19 and keep going back to the 2014 Apex.

It mus be the Callaway CupFace I'm not a fan of.

I just love the 2014 Apex impact sound, knowing when I've hit the iron just right and I've never really had any ball flyers, consistent distances especially in the short irons where it counts most.

I'm tempted with the 21 Apex, maybe even the 21 Apex Combo set, have a Callaway fitting day on 16 April'21.

Cheerz 🙂😄😉

Played yesterday. Guy in our group had the 2014 Apex in the bag, has had them since they were new. Played great with them. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches