Good stretches for someone who sits in a chair 50hrs/wk?

mn44

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar situation.

One a doc showed me is lay on your back, get into situps position, and then press your lower back into the rug.

Kinda feels like the opposite of a crunch.

Super safe, and strengthens the back and core.

I also lay on my back and turn left and right very gently, pull my knee up, stretch the side back area.

That one is great for making your turn.

You might also want to consider investing in a decent chair. Sadly most employers won't buy you anything other than a bog standard office chair. I bought myself one of these. Since getting that over a year ago my nagging slight ache above right hip has gone. It's also nice to find a chair with arm rests that go low enough to use. But it wasn't cheap - it cost me the best part of £1,000.

Still - when you're sitting in it all the working day I reckon it's worth it. It's one of only two 'ergonomic' things that have made a difference. The other was my vertical mouse. For several years my right wrist ached if I pushed myself up on it when it was bent back (like press ups) and sometimes when I chunked a ball. Within a week of getting the mouse my wrist was fine and it's been that way for a couple of years now.

Oh and something else worth doing is to use your lunch breaks to get out of the office and walk around. There ain't all that much scenery where I work but in summer I can walk along a canal path, through a small wood and around an ugly reservoir. In winter when the paths get muddy nearby housing estates have to suffice. If I don't manage to do that my feet and knees feel a bit achy the next day. I suspect it's too much tension and only moving around at every opportunity is keeping it at bay.

YouTube something called Foundation Training. It was developed by a chiropractor and is an amazing full body stretch. Perfect for those of us that sit long periods of time.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

IT Security guy here, have some that run 60+.

#1. Get a sit/stand desk. I have a VariDesk, was about $3-$400, helps to switch a few times a day

#2 Get this - https://www.target.com/p/sklz-universal-massage-roller-red-black/-/A-53148208?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Sports+Shopping_Control&adgroup=SC_Sports&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9017843&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_LSW382U3AIVkcDACh37hwyWEAQYCyABEgI7YvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I roll out my glutes, hips, IT bands, quads, and hamstrings daily. It has changed my life.

#3. Inversion table to allow for some decompression.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I just get up and take a little walk a couple times a day.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Two years ago I went to my doctor. He looked at me and half asked, half stated, "You spend a lot of time in a car and at a desk, don't you?" He recommended I start a kettle bell routine. He said kettle bell swings, lifts and squats are the prefect workout to counter the dreaded "desk disease." I started a light workout (15 lb bell) and started to feel better immediately. I have moved to a 30 pound bell most days and a 50 pound bell twice a week for swings. My posture, flexibility and balance are much improved, and I gained quite a few yards with my driver. There are a number of beginner workouts on Youtube. 10 minute routines, once or twice a day.

I keep the 15 pound bell in my office and will sometimes do a set of swings when I feel tight.

Start with a light bell and work your way up. Proper form is very important.

Foam rollers are a great investment and learning how to properly use it is key. Follow "smashwerx" on Instagram, he has lots of stretching videos that are good to watch.

Really working on stretching your quads and glutes will also relieve some tension in your Lumbar Region.

Every golfer should be able to pass these two tests:

http://www.golfwrx.com/515102/two-physical-tests-every-golfer-should-ace/

Anyone have a good resource for stretchingand weightless in home workouts for someone who has to sit at a desk for 50 hours per week? Mainly focused on lower back, flexibility, etc...but everything helps.

Thanks

This is me, too. Took a new job in Los Angeles. Have a 5-hour round trip commute (I take the train, but then have to commute to and from the train stations at both ends), and then when I get to work, I mostly sit. It's killing my mobility.

I did buy a sit/stand desk at work, so that's helping a bit, but I need some hip mobility stretches, mostly. I have a series of back stuff that I do that I got from The Egoscue Clinic that is great for my back, but the hips seem to be getting worse and worse....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Foam Roll hips, buttocks, low back a little bit (don't overdo the back), and IT band/side of upper legs

Standing hamstring stretches -- put your foot up on a bed

Hip Flexor Stretch - kneeling, one arm up, lean forward

Pelvic tilts

Glute strengthening - donkey kicks, fire hydrants

Hip strengthening - lay on your side and do leg lifts, use a resistance band as you get stronger

Split squats - put your back foot up on the bed or couch and squat with one leg

Quad stretch

Tens unit for your back - I have an Omron one that was like 35 bucks at Target, it feels amazing.

If you have a significant other have them rotate your hips in circular motions both directions while you lay down.

Mckenzie method press-ups

Hang from a pull up bar I personally think is better than Inversion table. But both are good.

All of these are good options -- pick your favorites or try to do a certain number of them each day. I would say it is important to do some form of resistance training for your legs and hips/glutes even if it is body weight because having resistance while going through motions really is an important piece in pain reduction. You have to have stability not just flexibility.

so much hip and back pain is directly related to tight glutes, hammys, and IT bands, along with compression from sitting and standing.

if you can invert and decompress, and roll those other things out daily, your life will be better, mine is.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Inversion Table. I don't have lower back problems, currently. I have more upper back, shoulder and neck issues and my inversion table does wonders for them. And the inversion tables are supposed to be even better for lower back problems. If so, it will be the best investment you can ever make.

RH

I found myself in this same predicament. 50 hrs + a week in office chair since graduating college in 2001 and shooting poor scores. High 80’s to mid 90’s despite being athletic and not new to golf. My neck, shoulders, hips, back, and hamstrings had all paid the office life price.

I have broken 80 4 of my last 5 rounds after not doing so for years and am more excited about golf than I have been in a decade. Listed below is what I did.

1. I always stayed away from chiro due to the stigma. I was talked into seeing a very reputable chiro and did a two month program. It was great for me. As always, X-rays and full assessment should be performed prior to adjustments starting.

2. Foam rolling/stretching...at least 4 times a week I do 20 minutes or so of rolling and stretching oriented towards golf. I use a full size roller and small mini basketball sized roller. I take the ball roller to the office and use periodically as well for neck, shoulders, hips. Do a routine before every round.

3. Ordered the MISIG (Most Important Stretch In Golf) and use daily and before every round. Truly is a swing plane aid, stretching, and strengthening device for me...love this device.

4. I don’t get much range time with demanding career, an infant, and toddler so do a few mins of slow mo mirror work at home almost every night.

I’ve also picked up 2 clubs in distance I had lost. Really an astonishing turn around over 8 weeks time. Hopefully this helps and benefits you as well!

I'm a bit late to the party and a lot of people have said good things already.

However, I would like to add a recommendation of backwards bends combined with back strenghtening. Yoga sphinx and cobra poses would be a good starting point. IMPORTANT: strongly recommend to get qualified instruction on those and make sure your back agrees with them. It is important to get them right, not overdo them and not do them at all if you have back issues. Also, they should be sequenced with proper warm up and a counter pose afterwards.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

Bump/following, I need something for upper back big time, especially under my shoulder blades

Driver: Titleist Tsi2 - GD AD-IZ 6x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM Max 15 - GD AD-VR 7x

hybrid: Ping G425 19 - GD AD-DI Hy 95x

irons (4-pw): Ping iBlade - Project X rifle 6.5 +1"

wedges (50,55,60): Vokey Sm9 - Project X rifle 6.5 +1"

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 36"

Ball: Titleist ProV1

@ryan84 use a lacrosse ball and pinch it between your back and a wall ( keeping the ball in the area that feels the most tight) and just work it into the spot that is giving you grief, and move your body around against the ball while apply pressure to it.

Get a foam roller and roll your Thoracic Vertebrae and Cervical Vertebrae, with your arms folded/crossed over your chest.

Hope this helps a little.

Bump/following, I need something for upper back big time, especially under my shoulder blades

Under the shoulder blades is tricky. Try standing up feet about shoulder width apart. Place your palms on a table or high bench in front of you and bend forward from the waist. You may need to take a step back in order to form a 90-degree angle but hands are a direct extension of the back. Then relax your shoulders and let them roll outwards/upwards so that your upper body is pressed underneath the arms.

Not unlike Ms. Yang here but try to not look up but keep the neck straight (i.e. the whole back bone is straight all the way to the back of the skull) and let the shoulders roll upwards so that the upper body is more between the arms rather than above them.

http://file.mk.co.kr/meet/neds/2016/07/image_readtop_2016_505312_14684734782546537.jpg

Extended child yoga pose is pretty good as well. In that as well as the stretch above, experiment with different widths of hands.

For upper back in general, I like a variant of the yoga turtle pose where you are sitting on the ground the soles of the feet are together, knees to the side and your hands go under the legs and then you bend forward. You have to be pretty damn flexible for the hands to point backwards (or have your legs straight instead of the soles of the feet together) but if you can point the arms forward that's also good.

Also, try standing up, bending forward from the hip, get your nose towards the knees. Then let the arms hang loose, step on your hands so that the kunckles are on the ground and the feet are in your palms. Bend your knees as much as you have to so that you can straighten your arms and get the stretch to the upper back and shoulders.

https://www.yogapedia.com/definition/6581/gorilla-pose

Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

Be careful of your diet. Caffeine and sugar tend to aggravate my pain under the shoulder blades.

Be careful of your posture. Not only stop hunching over too much at the computer, but make sure when you sit you don't sit on one of your legs/feet.

Get a tennis ball or a therapeutic ball about the size of a tennis ball. Put it on the *floor*. Then lay down and roll the ball over the area that hurts. What I do is I will then raise the arm of the shoulder blade that hurts above my head. When you do this, you may feel like Homer Simpson when he ate Chief Wiggum's ghost pepper as it is quite intense, but it gets the job done.

RH

Anyone have a good resource for stretchingand weightless in home workouts for someone who has to sit at a desk for 50 hours per week? Mainly focused on lower back, flexibility, etc...but everything helps.

Thanks

This is me, too. Took a new job in Los Angeles. Have a 5-hour round trip commute (I take the train, but then have to commute to and from the train stations at both ends), and then when I get to work, I mostly sit. It's killing my mobility.

I did buy a sit/stand desk at work, so that's helping a bit, but I need some hip mobility stretches, mostly. I have a series of back stuff that I do that I got from The Egoscue Clinic that is great for my back, but the hips seem to be getting worse and worse....

5 hours daily ? You must either love the job or love where you live.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Get a tennis ball or a therapeutic ball about the size of a tennis ball. Put it on the *floor*. Then lay down and roll the ball over the area that hurts. What I do is I will then raise the arm of the shoulder blade that hurts above my head. When you do this, you may feel like Homer Simpson when he ate Chief Wiggum's ghost pepper as it is quite intense, but it gets the job done.

Ah, yes. I used to share my house with a budgie and

He was a bloody useless golfer though :)

Anything is better than nothing. Daily, even if it is just a few minutes. Sustained stretching works.

Stretching is very rewarding in that once you get started it gives you fast results both in the depth of stretches and in feeling good. However, once you get to yoga type of deep stretches you do discover the limitations in the range of flexibility caused by joints and tendons and working on those takes time. But at the same time, you feel really good and see improvement - some faster, some slower depending on the body type. There's a difference in releasing tension of the muscles and in working on the mobility of the muscles/tendons/joints.

It also helps golf beyond the obvious benefits of being flexible. Many poses are really humbling to those of us who are not that flexible and are mostly made of arms and legs. Once you accept that you won't get any deeper and stop fighting it suddenly you start to get deeper. But getting deep is not the point but to feel the pose work the right bits of the body. This does translate directly to golf as well, at least to those of us who are not so good at this game. Once you just accept that you hit bad shots and stop beating yourself about it suddenly you start hitting better shots because you no longer attach to the negativity. Just observe that you hit a bad shot, accept it but do not attach to it and move to the next shot. This is one of the things that is often said that one should do but it's not exactly an easy thing to do.

Re:RitchieHunt and shoulder blades. That area indeed is prone to being inflamed by diet. It's very annoying as it is not quite a deterministic process and isolating the causes is difficult. For me it is that if I eat something with gluten for dinner I will pay dearly for it the next day. But caffeine (noooooooo!!!! don't take away my coffee!) and sugar are common culprits as well.

Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

I do about a 30 minute stretching routine before I get out of bed in the morning. Some upper back stretches, stretch glutes, periformis ,hamstrings and quads. I had a bad bout with sciatica last fall the really knocked me down. Could barely walk even with walker or cane. A combination of PT, cortisone injections, chiropractic and stretching right now has me pain free and playing golf with full body motion (fingers crossed). I did use a foam roller for awhile, but have not used it lately. Probably a good idea to use it 2 or 3 times per week.

Bruce