Fortnite and Rickie Fowler

My son recently has had a little less interest in golf at home, and I blame these two. He still loves to practice, and most definitely playing at the club, but at home he doesn’t talk or watch golf related shows/video/events like he used too. He says stuff like, I’m not watching the “x” tournament over the weekend because Rickie can’t seem to pull it together in the end. Or, my 3 best friends are playing fortnite so I don’t have time to watch the Golf Channel. As much as we can try to grow the game, these two are going to keep pulling it two steps back.

Obviously this is tongue in cheek, as I have the authority to guide my son in how he spends his time, but just wanted to post to see if the struggle is real with others as well. Our last PGA league event, literally 14 boys were on the practice green doing Fortnite dances and hardly any of them were practicing putts, except my kid. He is focused when on the course, and gave a 3some of 13yo against his 2some of 11yo a tie, including an opening birdie that woke them up quickly.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No parent who is serious about children's development would allow them to play addictive videogames like fortnight

Keep them away from that rock music as well. No good can come from those gyrating hips and mind bending lyrics ; )

As in most things moderation is your friend.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

It isn’t about the video game. It is about the social involvement of the video game. My kid has a difficult time socially. This game has actually been good for him. With that said, we did have to have a sit down because it became too much. All he would talk about. He got in trouble and we grounded him from it for a week. After he got it back he took it away from himself for another week.

You have to limit and set guidelines. For me it becomes over the top when the start watching on Youtube.

Now it is in moderation and we can use it against him. “If you don’t do this, that, and this you can’t play.” It could be reading, chores, or doing SAT/ACT preparation and studying. You will be amazed at the lack of arguing we now get for him doing chores.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Sometimes you need to be a parent this means setting limits and make them do stuff for their own good.

Sometiimes that means making them practice or do something else. Once my kids get out and do something else they forget about things like fortnite. It’s okay to let them play games online but if they can’t turn it off and walk away from it when it’s time for something else. Then it’s my job to do that for them.

As a school principal, I deal with the fallout from video game and cell phone addiction on almost a daily basis. Kids who can't (I mean it - can't) put phones away while in class, and others who have stayed up all night long playing and can't keep their eyes open during school hours.

This is stuff you want to get out ahead of, as many of you know.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

My brother played every fad known to man and as a kid was spoiled by my step mom. He had 3 TVs and 3 different game systems, played Pokémon and every other card game, addictively. He was a gymnast since age 5 and almost went on a path for the olympics. Started wrestling his freshman year and won the state championship his JR. Also payed football and made straight As. Graduated the top of his class at the Citadel, then spent 3 years in S Korea teaching English. Took the DAT and scored in the top 2%. Got accepted to Columbia Dental school and joined the Army.

Yeah playing video games is a death sentence. Some kids just aren’t cut out for certain things with or without video games.

My brother played every fad known to man and as a kid was spoiled by my step mom. He had 3 TVs and 3 different game systems, played Pokémon and every other card game, addictively. He was a gymnast since age 5 and almost went on a path for the olympics. Started wrestling his freshman year and won the state championship his JR. Also payed football and made straight As. Graduated the top of his class at the Citadel, then spent 3 years in S Korea teaching English. Took the DAT and scored in the top 2%. Got accepted to Columbia Dental school and joined the Army.

Yeah playing video games is a death sentence. Some kids just aren’t cut out for certain things with or without video games.

Imagine how great he could have been if he only had ONE video game system

Sounds like he has a lot of potential to begin with

Video game addiction means by definition he didn’t maximize

We’ll see if Rickie can close out. Might be a new Rickie, or not. Ever since he lost at Phoenix to Hidecki in a playoff years ago, it seems he can’t follow through like he did at Sawgrass. The Masters was clutch, but let’s be honest. He was playing with nothing to lose. When he has something on the line, or a lead, he flounders.

If you’re a parent forcing you’re child to practice , I can tell you what’s going to happen when you’re child gets to college level golf , and you are not going to like it. They’ll suddenly have zero drive (in your opinion ) however they’ve never had that drive and it’s always been a parent pushed drive. Sadly I’ve seen this among way to many kids in my 4 years so far of college golf

If you're a parent forcing you're child to practice , I can tell you what's going to happen when you're child gets to college level golf , and you are not going to like it. They'll suddenly have zero drive (in your opinion ) however they've never had that drive and it's always been a parent pushed drive. Sadly I've seen this among way to many kids in my 4 years so far of college golf

No one said anything about forcing kids to practice

Playing outside with other kids, reading a book, using imagination to have fun around the house, listening to music are all better uses of time and ARE NOT addictive

Video games are an inferior use of kids' time

When kids get immersed with video games they lose perspective and reality and waste endless hours without an understanding of how long they've been playing

Doing 10 minutes of homework is torture, but playing 6 hours straight of Fortnight is no problem and they complain if you ask them to stop

I've seen it happen with our older kids friends - wasting summer vacations and family trips glued to phones or tablets playing games

It will end badly for those kids and society overall when they get older

My son recently has had a little less interest in golf at home, and I blame these two. He still loves to practice, and most definitely playing at the club, but at home he doesn't talk or watch golf related shows/video/events like he used too. He says stuff like, I'm not watching the "x" tournament over the weekend because Rickie can't seem to pull it together in the end. Or, my 3 best friends are playing fortnite so I don't have time to watch the Golf Channel. As much as we can try to grow the game, these two are going to keep pulling it two steps back.

Obviously this is tongue in cheek, as I have the authority to guide my son in how he spends his time, but just wanted to post to see if the struggle is real with others as well. Our last PGA league event, literally 14 boys were on the practice green doing Fortnite dances and hardly any of them were practicing putts, except my kid. He is focused when on the course, and gave a 3some of 13yo against his 2some of 11yo a tie, including an opening birdie that woke them up quickly.

tldr - Just to be sure I'm reading this right, an 11 year old kid was grinding out practice putts rather than hanging out with a group of kids having fun?

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

You have to limit and set guidelines. For me it becomes over the top when the start watching on Youtube.

This is pretty ironic especially as it relates to golf because we all watch youtube to learn and improve our games, just like people do for video games.

No, he was just watching a video of a guy playing the game... What is the difference between that and sitting down and watching golf tournaments?

Maybe I am an outlier here but I see golf and video games as almost the same thing, just ones in front of a tv and the other is outside.

My son recently has had a little less interest in golf at home, and I blame these two. He still loves to practice, and most definitely playing at the club, but at home he doesn't talk or watch golf related shows/video/events like he used too. He says stuff like, I'm not watching the "x" tournament over the weekend because Rickie can't seem to pull it together in the end. Or, my 3 best friends are playing fortnite so I don't have time to watch the Golf Channel. As much as we can try to grow the game, these two are going to keep pulling it two steps back.

tldr - Just to be sure I'm reading this right, an 11 year old kid was grinding out practice putts rather than hanging out with a group of kids having fun?

It was the opposing team, and he didn't know any of them. He wanted to join but my son is really introverted, so he just kept warming up. He would do a few dances (Emotes) when he drained a putt.

Didn't mean to mislead or make it sound like my kid was doing anything superior, quite the opposite. I wish he would be more extroverted and introduce himself to other kids more.

This is pretty ironic especially as it relates to golf because we all watch youtube to learn and improve our games, just like people do for video games.

No, he was just watching a video of a guy playing the game... What is the difference between that and sitting down and watching golf tournaments?

Maybe I am an outlier here but I see golf and video games as almost the same thing, just ones in front of a tv and the other is outside.

I think what is meant in regards to the youtube viewing is, it is becoming an obsession. Nothing wrong with watching a channel if you know the kid posting Fortnite videos, or watching something to learn a challenge location, tip, etc. It's when they have youtube running 24/7 on their phone or tablet just randomly watching others play matches that is over the top. I had to put a stop to it, and my son now has gone back to watching golf on youtube. It's very similar, but I would prefer he consume/obsess over golf content than VGs.

If you're a parent forcing you're child to practice , I can tell you what's going to happen when you're child gets to college level golf , and you are not going to like it. They'll suddenly have zero drive (in your opinion ) however they've never had that drive and it's always been a parent pushed drive. Sadly I've seen this among way to many kids in my 4 years so far of college golf

No one said anything about forcing kids to practice

Playing outside with other kids, reading a book, using imagination to have fun around the house, listening to music are all better uses of time and ARE NOT addictive

Video games are an inferior use of kids' time

When kids get immersed with video games they lose perspective and reality and waste endless hours without an understanding of how long they've been playing

Doing 10 minutes of homework is torture, but playing 6 hours straight of Fortnight is no problem and they complain if you ask them to stop

I've seen it happen with our older kids friends - wasting summer vacations and family trips glued to phones or tablets playing games

It will end badly for those kids and society overall when they get older

Sometimes you need to be a parent this means setting limits and make them do stuff for their own good.

Sometiimes that means making them practice or do something else. Once my kids get out and do something else they forget about things like fortnite. It’s okay to let them play games online but if they can’t turn it off and walk away from it when it’s time for something else. Then it’s my job to do that for them.

I must have misunderstood this post. That’s all but just trying to offer advice from my point of view and that’s all

LMAO!!!!! Really Bro? If you are watching YouTube Videos to improve your golf game, then you have zero idea what you are doing in the first place. Do you think DJ, Tiger, Rickie, or any other PGA player watched YouTube videos to improve their golf game? Nope. They hire an instructor. Do you know why they hire an instructor? Because it is the best way to improve. Less than 20% of all amateur golfers hire an instructor to help them with their swing and to improve the game. Maybe if the 80% that don't would hire someone rather than watching YouTube videos, they would be better.

YouTube golf videos along with watching Fortnite are for entertainment value only.

YouTube golf videos along with watching Fortnite are for entertainment value only.

This ^^^^^^

I watched a half hour show on youtube which was Zach Johnson giving different putting drills. It was fantastic. I had my son watch it with me and we both use several of the drills when practicing. So the notion that you can't improve your golf game by watching youtube, or any other platform is just false.

That is much different than watching a swing video to improve your game or to get your lessons from.

I think what is meant in regards to the youtube viewing is, it is becoming an obsession. Nothing wrong with watching a channel if you know the kid posting Fortnite videos, or watching something to learn a challenge location, tip, etc. It's when they have youtube running 24/7 on their phone or tablet just randomly watching others play matches that is over the top. I had to put a stop to it, and my son now has gone back to watching golf on youtube. It's very similar, but I would prefer he consume/obsess over golf content than VGs.

What is the difference? My son has played sports his entire life ( 11 years old ) and has never watched sports on TV. Some kids just don't get the enjoyment of spectating.

Fortnite is a worldwide phenomenon that is not going away anytime soon. My son and his other team members have never been closer since they started playing fortnite together. Summer break is different in 2018 than it was when we were kids. Technology has changed. We used to be limited to hanging out with kids in our neighborhood but now my son plays with friends that have moved to different cities.

You all sound like a bunch of old people complaining about loud music and baggy pants. Times are changing and the world is evolving. Its the same in a business where instead of having boardroom meetings we meet virtually with things like GoToMeeting or communicate through software like slacked.

Ping G430 Max 10k
Ping G430 2 Hybrid
Ping I230 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite S+
Ping Forged 50* 54* 60*
Ping D60

I watched a half hour show on youtube which was Zach Johnson giving different putting drills. It was fantastic. I had my son watch it with me and we both use several of the drills when practicing. So the notion that you can't improve your golf game by watching youtube, or any other platform is just false.

That is much different than watching a swing video to improve your game or to get your lessons from.

No one limited it to watching swing videos. He said watching youtube "to learn and improve our games"

What is the difference? My son has played sports his entire life ( 11 years old ) and has never watched sports on TV. Some kids just don't get the enjoyment of spectating.

Fortnite is a worldwide phenomenon that is not going away anytime soon. My son and his other team members have never been closer since they started playing fortnite together. Summer break is different in 2018 than it was when we were kids. Technology has changed. We used to be limited to hanging out with kids in our neighborhood but now my son plays with friends that have moved to different cities.

You all sound like a bunch of old people complaining about loud music and baggy pants. Times are changing and the world is evolving. Its the same in a business where instead of having boardroom meetings we meet virtually with things like GoToMeeting or communicate through software like slacked.

I guess I am a bit confused as to why you directed this to the 3 of us? We feel the same way I am pretty sure, just stating that consuming 10-12 hours of YT a day with your phone just running with Fortnite players running matches is not healthy.

Completely agree with the social aspect. My son has come out of his shell more since Fortnite, and he has made some new friends and is able to communicate with kids from school that he never did outside of class. I joked with him a month ago that this was going to be gone by August and not cool anymore. It will die out when kids decide it's not cool. Like when all the parents are playing it more than them, they will move on, lol. Just like we took over My Space and FB, so they moved on to other outlets.

No one limited it to watching swing videos. He said watching youtube "to learn and improve our games"

Watching putting drills on YouTube is not improving your game. That is coming up with a drill that you have to practice to improve your game. There is no technique taught. To "Learn and Improve our games" is watching to get coaching and learn techniques. You aren't talking about that, but you can think what you want to think and argue what you want to argue. Not wasting my breathe on you any more.

I guess I am a bit confused as to why you directed this to the 3 of us? We feel the same way I am pretty sure, just stating that consuming 10-12 hours of YT a day with your phone just running with Fortnite players running matches is not healthy.

Completely agree with the social aspect. My son has come out of his shell more since Fortnite, and he has made some new friends and is able to communicate with kids from school that he never did outside of class. I joked with him a month ago that this was going to be gone by August and not cool anymore. It will die out when kids decide it's not cool. Like when all the parents are playing it more than them, they will move on, lol. Just like we took over My Space and FB, so they moved on to other outlets.

It was more towards the part where you said you'd rather him watch golf vs fortnite. Watching someone play competitive sports vs video games is essentially the same experience. You are watching people who are the best in the world at what they do compete. You can see how people either rise to the occasion or crumble under pressure. With the development of twitch.tv its bringing competitive gaming to the forefront and it's actually pretty fun to watch. (if you understand how difficult these games can be)

You may be right that eventually, it may not be cool but I've actually started to play it in order to connect with my son more. With sports he's always had fun doing it but it wasn't something we talked about outside of the actual event. Now we'll be having dinner and he's talking to me about getting his 1st win in fortnite or about how he and his friends are goofing off in the game. It's easy as parents to try and dictate which direction our children go in life but I learned very early on to not try and push my personal agenda on him so that he resents me as he grows up.

Ping G430 Max 10k
Ping G430 2 Hybrid
Ping I230 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite S+
Ping Forged 50* 54* 60*
Ping D60