Rory, "If I didn’t win another Major for the rest of my career, nothing is going to change in my lif

bscinstnct

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real conversation here should be why does Rory feel compelled to make silly statements such as this? It gives you a pretty good insight to what is going on in his psyche.

I for one say he is done winning majors, unless he gets incredibly hot with the putter for one weekend.

I just don't think Rory wants to be the king of the mountain, and all that goes with it. He is trying to justify it, both publicly and internally.

That's an interesting take on it. My question would be is he trying to justify it because he knows he couldn't be best in the world again? Is the justification just cover for his stark realisation?

Who knows.

Self-realization. Rors has reached his maximum potential in golf.

I mean let's face it when one goes to see Brad Faxon - it's time to turn out the light on winning majors.

So ....trying to improve his weakness by working with one of the best putters ever is a bad thing? Is this in the same category of a player needs a coach that won more than he has? So he is slammed for not caring but if he does care it has to be to work with the correct guy in your eyes?

Best putters ever? What? Brad Faxon never won a major.

Faxon's advice was revered and applauded when Rors won at Arnie's house.

However a few weeks later - Brad Faxon's putting tips cost Rors the Masters.

I brought it up on this forum and no one wanted to talk about it.

Harvey Penick advised, "always work from your strengths."

Rors works from his weaknesses, and therein lies a problem.

Rors needs a new life coach.

Does that meant Butch Harmon is worthless as an instructor? What does winning a major have to do with the ability to teach???

PS is that you in your avatar?

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

So my overall take on Rory is this: I just don't believe him. I think he absolutely, positively wants to be the best player in the world. Zero doubt in my mind about that, and no amount of lip-service to the contrary would make me believe otherwise -- at least at this stage of his life/career.

I think he says stuff like he says nowadays to take the pressure off (in a sad way) of saying he wants to be the best. We all know guys like this. Guys who say they "don't care" about whatever game it is you are playing, but who absolutely can't stand to lose and either get mad, pissy, or in some other way non-plussed. Guys who prepare for the club championship, say they don't really care and have no expectations, but who absolutely hate not playing better.

It's like he's trying to "reverse-psychologize" himself or something. LOL

Right now, that's Rory, expect instead of it being the club championship, it's majors. I understand others may have a different take, but that is absolutely mine.

Just say you care a ton, Rory ... because you do.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

On one hand you have someone like Tiger, and on the other you have someone like Greg Norman. Looks like Rory is going the Greg Norman route.

The Greg Norman comparison is interesting... never thought about he and Rors in the same light before but I do see a lot of parallels, on and off the golf course. Good call!

So my overall take on Rory is this: I just don't believe him. I think he absolutely, positively wants to be the best player in the world. Zero doubt in my mind about that, and no amount of lip-service to the contrary would make me believe otherwise -- at least at this stage of his life/career.

I think he says stuff like he says nowadays to take the pressure off (in a sad way) of saying he wants to be the best. We all know guys like this. Guys who say they "don't care" about whatever game it is you are playing, but who absolutely can't stand to lose and either get mad, pissy, or in some other way non-plussed. Guys who prepare for the club championship, say they don't really care and have no expectations, but who absolutely hate not playing better.

Right now, that's Rory, expect instead of it being the club championship, it's majors. I understand others may have a different take, but that is absolutely mine.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was pretty accurate, evidenced by his somewhat idiotic "all the pressure is on Reed" Masters comment. It seems like maybe the media pressure/attention is distracting or downright bad for him so he constantly tries to lower expectations so he can left alone. Why say these things otherwise?

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Rofl! That's Russ Hanneman from Silicon Valley, Ferg.

Well, you ruined it. It’s fun to imagine what our forum compadres look like. Russ fits your posting persona.

Now I to rethink the whole “instinct look.”

Me?

I be like

2Ghf.gif

One of the all-time great scenes in movie history.

It's an honest statement, but not the talk of an all time great. I couldn't imagine Trevino, Jack, or Tiger saying something like that so early in their careers. Probably pretty easy to get comfortable when you have millions in your pocket before you hit your first shot. It becomes harder and harder to care about records.

Lee wouldn't play Augusta. So he gave away the opportunity of a major every year.

It's an honest statement, but not the talk of an all time great. I couldn't imagine Trevino, Jack, or Tiger saying something like that so early in their careers. Probably pretty easy to get comfortable when you have millions in your pocket before you hit your first shot. It becomes harder and harder to care about records.

Lee wouldn't play Augusta. So he gave away the opportunity of a major every year.

Trevino played The Masters 20 times if I'm not mistaken. Best finish was 10th, I believe.

This is exactly why there is way too much money in golf. When you are making $30M / year before you even hit one tee shot, then of course you start thinking about buying a Francis Bacon painting and saving whales. But the silly money in golf is another subject.

Since Rory has stated on more than one occasion that he's not into the Tiger grind to win majors, then why do the media keep on asking? Oh well, Rory doesn't owe us the dedication if he is not into it. Too bad. Rory sure can hit the ball like a major winner with not a ton of tune up, but he does not putt like a major champion except during "one of those weeks". So catching fire with the putter in a major week is a roll of the dice; I'm not holding my breath.

The money has nothing to do with it imho. There are too many players in golf and other ventures that have made the big money for years but do not lose the drive to excel. Got that matter I'm not sure that's really what Rory is saying anyways. He is still working his rear off to be as good as he can be. B but he has not learned the balance between life and sport.

Why should Rory get slammed but Jack always got praised for putting family first?

Jack Nicklaus won $17,500 for his first major in 1962. Adjusted for inflation that’s $146,000 today. He won $144,000 for his last major in 1986. Adjusted for inflation that’s $333,000 today. Rory has won four majors worth about $9,000,000. No wonder he doesn’t care.

Trevino played The Masters 20 times if I'm not mistaken. Best finish was 10th, I believe.

Yep. He skipped it several times in his prime though. And he mentally skipped the rest, he never believed he could win there.

You missed my point. And yet agreed with it.

If he isn't happy. Cool. Retire. Don't just show up and phone it in like a jackass hack. It's a slap in the face to those who work on tour for their living.

I didn't miss your point. Your point was pretty terrible, and again we're just making stuff up that Rory didn't say. He didn't say he wouldn't try at golf, he didn't say he was unhappy playing golf. He said that he wouldn't be too shook up if he never won another major. Coming from somebody who has won 4 majors, I would guess he has some perspective on it. It's the people in these these threads that made a Dwayne Johnson Skyscraper jump to conclusions to mean he isn't mentally there, he doesn't want to play golf anymore, doesn't mean he isn't giving it his best.

It might actually mean the TOTAL OPPOSITE of your really weak point, in that he IS giving it his best, and he's ok with the results even if it means he doesn't win another major again.

Real question, what is everybody pointing to that is proving us he's "showing up and phoning it in like a jackass hack"?

to answer the last sentence... His lack of a wedge game , his putting ( or lack thereof) and his general lack of fire ....

Well Rory does peruse here time to time, I hope he sees all the major advice and turn his career around quickly....23 wins and four majors are horrible stats. If he worked as hard as I do sitting behind my computer he'd have 100 majors and 1000 W's around the world. His parents must be so disappointed in him....

For his talent level they are. People can't seem to see it relatively.

Come on man. You can't possibly presume to speak for Rory's parents.

I can see it through my eyes if he were my kid.. which is what i said . Its not just his words.. Its his attitude... he just oozes " i dont care" 99%of the time....ryder cup being the exception ..

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

yes^^^^ thank you for this post.. My brain has been thinking this all day and yet i couldnt get it out like that . I believe this too.. Its the guy who wants it bad..But instead of working for it ( being #1) hes just deflecting and acting as if he doesnt care. Along with pitching a few hissy fits along the way . Before someone says thats Bull.. remember his tantrum and walkoff the course at the Honda several years ago?

All that said .. I think hes a good kid at his core. I do .. I just wish hed grow up before its too late.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Well Rory does peruse here time to time, I hope he sees all the major advice and turn his career around quickly....23 wins and four majors are horrible stats. If he worked as hard as I do sitting behind my computer he’d have 100 majors and 1000 W’s around the world. His parents must be so disappointed in him....

For his talent level they are. People can’t seem to see it relatively.

You’re so full of it dude. I see Gerry regularly enough to be familiar with and I don’t think he cares what Rory does as long as he is the one making the decision and is happy about it.

apparently you missed the part where it was MY opinion .. I said nothing of what his Dad said... But i will let you know your bias is showing... I dont have a hate for Rory,, I say pretty regularly how talented he is and how i think hes a good kid compared to many.. But you letting us know you rub elbows with PoP pretty much explains your opinion... Otherwise why keep mentioning it ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

As has been pointed out he's 8th in the world. Its easy to say you can have it both ways. Maybe he thinks getting to #1 would take beating balls 10 hours a day and spending his nights on a putting green. Maybe he doesn't want to do that....maybe being 8th means practicing a little less and doing things he enjoys.

Its his choice. Again people do this in pretty much every single field. CEO's do it, athletes do it. They can do it because of how well they are paid sure, but the consumers (us) have made that the case.

How many tech guys have sold their companies to google or Facebook and are chilling right now. Do they owe us more ideas?

This. If he left golf right now I'd say more power to him. Being born with talent is not a choice nor is there any duty associated with it. If I were him and I felt like going fishing or whatever I would. It's not like entertainers owe us jack.

Disagree there. Certain amount of responsibility comes with great talent. If I'm his parent and I worked half my life to afford him being where he is he'd better try his best. That's all I'd ask. Look me in the eye and tell me you are trying you're best . I bet he can't. Anyone who thinks that's a bad lesson given with a spoon full of love is daft.

If you aren't going to do your best don't play.

quoting myself here so you guys can re-read what i said.. I say I and Me Not Gerry anywhere.....

since when did trying your best become a bad thing? its literally that simple..

Do you guys disagree and think he is trying his best ? even 75% of his best ??

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Absolutely agree with this take. IMO, he's choked the BMW and Masters just recently because he's pressing. And I agree, IMO to get over the hump... he should embrace the pressure because the only reason there's pressure is because he's one of the best in the game. It's like he forgets who he is and has a crisis of confidence in the pressure moments.

I don't know why people just assume he's not trying anymore. He's merely saying that nothing is going to change in his life if he doesn't win another major. He's at peace. If he does with another major, his life would be better. He already feels like his life isn't as good because he hasn't won like 10 majors. That's the pressure of being Rory. So from the current viewpoint, it's really isn't going to change anything since he has thought about this stuff more than any of us has. To me it shows that he has been under a ton of stress, is basically a ball of it, has tried to improve every part of his game more than anyone can see, and yet still gets criticized on golf forums for not having enough heart, while Spieth who goes on Spring Break with his buddies (nothing wrong with that) is adored for his fire (which doesn't necessarily equate to work ethic, but though I'm sure he is also a super hard worker). Though Spieth also seems to have been overshadowed by his buddies lately as well as other young great players.

None of us can understand why Rory doesn't just get his putting in order, just like none (well majority 99.9) of us can become PGA tour golfers.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

He's at peace.

He's 29 years old, no 29 year old is at peace with anything. :D

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Well Rory does peruse here time to time, I hope he sees all the major advice and turn his career around quickly....23 wins and four majors are horrible stats. If he worked as hard as I do sitting behind my computer he’d have 100 majors and 1000 W’s around the world. His parents must be so disappointed in him....

You’re so full of it dude. I see Gerry regularly enough to be familiar with and I don’t think he cares what Rory does as long as he is the one making the decision and is happy about it.

apparently you missed the part where it was MY opinion .. I said nothing of what his Dad said... But i will let you know your bias is showing... I dont have a hate for Rory,, I say pretty regularly how talented he is and how i think hes a good kid compared to many.. But you letting us know you rub elbows with PoP pretty much explains your opinion... Otherwise why keep mentioning it ?

1000 percent I’m bias. I’m bias for facts, not opinion. And if i think (because I don’t know what Rory or his parents are feeling I can only go off what I see) you’re wrong about friends I’m gunna shut it down. And I’ve criticized his game on here even look at the Rory v Jordan thread or the API thread in March.

Let’s use law school for the following example.

I hope to never have kids, but our parenting would be radically different which is fine. But if my child made a decision and said, “I want to be a criminal defense attorney.”

“Ok, that’s great hun you should talk to your uncle, I’ll make a couple calls and see if you can clerk for judge so and so, this summer. I’ll pick up some lsat study material as well, and pay for it all don’t worry.”

“Thanks dad!”

So little “jimmy” scores 172 in the 93 percentile, 3.47 GPA double major, All American golfer (3 collegiate wins, 8th at nationals), Academic all American, athlete of the year for the school. Scholarship offers from Duke Law, UVA Law, Vanderbilt Law. Then “jimmy” decides that law school isn’t for him, and wants to go a different direction, and become a golf course superintendent because he loves golf, and after a few years of really hard work he’s working one of the best clubs in the world. Is it my job to be disappointed? Or support him? It’s his decision, if he made it with a gun to his head and didn’t believe the path he was choosing then speak up, but if not? Then who am I to say...

Ps that actually happened. Now maybe my parents are better than every parent on here, (which is possible) but my brother made a decision to give up baseball. He was with the padres, but he made a decision to go into business with some friends and now he’s killing it.

So maybe I’m missing your point...again, and we’ll just agree to disagree. But you’re 99.999 repeating percent wrong, because again I don’t know what they’re feeling, but I know what I see and hear. And when it comes to friends, I’ll take the bullet. Btw why isn’t anyone attacking Bryson with the same vitriol? He said he doesn’t care about defending his title this week, only playing well and executing? The nerve of him to not want to dominate every event!!!!!!

1000 percent I’m bias. I’m bias for facts, not opinion. And if i think (because I don’t know what Rory or his parents are feeling I can only go off what I see) you’re wrong about friends I’m gunna shut it down. And I’ve criticized his game on here even look at the Rory v Jordan thread or the API thread in March.

Let’s use law school for the following example.

I hope to never have kids, but our parenting would be radically different which is fine. But if my child made a decision and said, “I want to be a criminal defense attorney.”

“Ok, that’s great hun you should talk to your uncle, I’ll make a couple calls and see if you can clerk for judge so and so, this summer. I’ll pick up some lsat study material as well, and pay for it all don’t worry.”

“Thanks dad!”

So little “jimmy” scores 172 in the 93 percentile, 3.47 GPA double major, All American golfer (3 collegiate wins, 8th at nationals), Academic all American, athlete of the year for the school. Scholarship offers from Duke Law, UVA Law, Vanderbilt Law. Then “jimmy” decides that law school isn’t for him, and wants to go a different direction, and become a golf course superintendent because he loves golf, and after a few years of really hard work he’s working one of the best clubs in the world. Is it my job to be disappointed? Or support him? It’s his decision, if he made it with a gun to his head and didn’t believe the path he was choosing then speak up, but if not? Then who am I to say...

Ps that actually happened. Now maybe my parents are better than every parent on here, (which is possible) but my brother made a decision to give up baseball. He was with the padres, but he made a decision to go into business with some friends and now he’s killing it.

So maybe I’m missing your point...again, and we’ll just agree to disagree. But you’re 99.999 repeating percent wrong, because again I don’t know what they’re feeling, but I know what I see and hear. And when it comes to friends, I’ll take the bullet. Btw why isn’t anyone attacking Bryson with the same vitriol? He said he doesn’t care about defending his title this week, only playing well and executing? The nerve of him to not want to dominate every event!!!!!!

Agree to disagree. Probably don’t even disagree. My intent wasn’t to start a parenting theory war.

In your example of course I’d be as happy as a lark. A change of plans isn’t what I spoke against at all. Rory isn’t changing professions. If he wants to pursue a career in construction and pour his heart into it I’d applaud him. But you can’t just show up to work 3 days a week and move a little dirt and call it done.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Statements like Rory made are typically stated publicly for two reasons;

1. The pressure of winning tournaments is getting to him and he's using the statement to relieve some of that pressure by lowering the expectations of the golf media, fans and possibly himself.
  2. He means it, he's content financially and personally so the need to win tournaments is no longer the most important goal in his life. I've never seen the fire in Rory like I saw it in Tiger or that Reed demonstrates. He's a great golfer and obviously driven to reach the level he has but he doesn't seem to have that edge to him can help carry him to be the best.

I've always encouraged my kids to make decisions to minimize future regrets. I'm sure Rory's parents are very proud of the man and golfer he's become but when he's 60 will Rory lament what could have been if his career doesn't live up to the potential he and others believe he has?

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

If Rory wins this week......

the collective world will be shocked.. Unless it rains from now till wednesday night , then the sun comes out and theres no wind.. then hes the favorite!

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Statements like Rory made are typically stated publicly for two reasons;

1. The pressure of winning tournaments is getting to him and he's using the statement to relieve some of that pressure by lowering the expectations of the golf media, fans and possibly himself.
  2. He means it, he's content financially and personally so the need to win tournaments is no longer the most important goal in his life. I've never seen the fire in Rory like I saw it in Tiger or that Reed demonstrates. He's a great golfer and obviously driven to reach the level he has but he doesn't seem to have that edge to him can help carry him to be the best.

I've always encouraged my kids to make decisions to minimize future regrets. I'm sure Rory's parents are very proud of the man and golfer he's become but when he's 60 will Rory lament what could have been if his career doesn't live up to the potential he and others believe he has?

we agree completely .. that sums up my opinion to a T... Unless you have regrets you dont know how that works... and I do.. Theres no way when hes old and unable to play that he wont regret not pushing to see what he could do .. Hes a newly wed.... He isnt going to enjoy listening to her talk for ever.. I say that as a man who would give his last breath gladly , to save his wife of 17 years....Its easy to be "satisfied" when youre young and think you know it all.. The older you get the more you can see what youve wasted . Its all about balance.. And i think hes tipped too far toward the "honey do" side of things .

I know i know..ramble ramble ramble.... Ill shut up now

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

From the Shilgy:

Re: Does that meant Butch Harmon is worthless as an instructor?

Butch Harmon is a teacher. Not every teacher/student combo works perfectly.

Re: What does winning a major have to do with the ability to teach???

Those who can - do

Those who can't - teach.

Re: is that you in your avatar?

No. It is actor, Fernando Rey

(he played the bad guy in the movie, "The French Connection" )

More arrogant and misadvised comments from McIlroy. His PR team are as bad as his putting coach...can't seem to go a few weeks without making incredibly crass comments.

No doubt he'll be the first to wonder why his popularity and fanbase has shrunk.

Whatever happened to playing to win? I must be old fashioned or something. Good luck to him.

I don't think he said he isn't playing to win. You can still give 100% effort, it does't necessarilly mean it's a disaster if you don't win.

This is precisely the outlook Couples had but everyone loved him for it. But he was American.

didn't rory spent the week leading into the US open playing all the long island exclusives clubs? Kind of sums it up on how much he wanted to win that week(major week).

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x