TV broadcasts in 1.25 speed?

BB28403

This thread is flat-out hilarious because its discussing the impossible. You're watching live TV. A player hits a shot, then -- according to those easily-identified by their tinfoil hats -- the player is seen walking more quickly to his ball, waggling faster, then hitting the shot BEFORE IT HAPPENS IN REAL TIME. All because of network TV's never-before revealed Time/Space Acceletron. By Elon Musk.

Now, is it possible to speed up a recorded golf program? Why sure. Except that for the 99% percent of us forgoing the government's mental health benefits, we've never seen it. Just curious: what color is the sky in your world?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is flat-out hilarious because its discussing the impossible. You're watching live TV. A player hits a shot, then -- according to those easily-identified by their tinfoil hats -- the player is seen walking more quickly to his ball, waggling faster, then hitting the shot BEFORE IT HAPPENS IN REAL TIME. All because of network TV's never-before revealed Time/Space Acceletron. By Elon Musk.

Now, is it possible to speed up a recorded golf program? Why sure. Except that for the 99% percent of us forgoing the government's mental health benefits, we've never seen it. Just curious: what color is the sky in your world?

How do you know live from recorded, unless you are physically at the tournament. They cut to shots from 5-10min earlier all the time during broadcasts and only occasionally say, “...from a few moments ago...”

True live TV can’t be sped up.

Recorded shots and tape-delayed coverage can.

This wouldn’t be a first.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fast-forward-tv-networks-speed-up-shows-to-play-more-ads/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/how-networks-speed-up-tv-shows-to-fit-more-ads-reddit-seinfeld/

25% would be really noticeable.

I don't think it's that totally far fetched...live tv doesn't mean it's literally happening at exactly that moment, and in fact it's all delayed to an extent. They're constantly bouncing around, showing things that just happened somewhere elsewhere the course ("and just moments ago on the tenth...")etc. Not that hard to imagine they might try to cover more action by accelerating certain clips. The viewer would actually win of they could do it well.

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

Definitely need to specify whether you are seeing this on Live coverage or a replay.

I would think that during replay coverage this would be somewhat expected. On live coverage not so much.

It was live coverage but was not live coverage.

See what I’m saying? Which is why I started a post about it.

It was reality on fast forward.

Make that $300 worth, OP. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_delay

In radio and television, broadcast delay is an intentional delay when broadcasting live material. Such a delay may be short (often seven seconds) to prevent mistakes or unacceptable content from being broadcast. Longer delays lasting several hours can also be introduced so that the material is aired at a later scheduled time (such as the prime time hours) to maximize viewership.

Here's some insight on how we do it from inside the TV broadcast bus.

I've worked +15 years in broadcasting with live sports (hockey, golf, soccer/football, tennis, skiing, basketball... you name it) and we call it "fake live". However, I've never worked with something that was sped up like this, but I know how to do it.

Every single camera feed is recorded into something called an EVS, which is basically a recording machine, from which you play all instant replays and taped material (e.g. highlights from yesterday's round) during a broadcast. The EVS operator will "record" a camera that is not broadcasted to the TV viewers, and then, when ready, we can broadcast a recorded shot/highlight - only nobody really knows it is recorded, it appears to be live. Ever wondered why there's ALWAYS someone ready'ish to make a shot in golf? Well, they're not. Most of it is recorded and then played with delay for everything from 5 seconds to 2 minutes, depending on timing.

Now, on how to do the 1,25x speed "live" broadcasts and, hopefully, an explanation to those of you who struggles with "Impossible!! It would happen before rel-time!!" etc.

There are multiple EVS operators for each live broadcast; meaning that each one is recording a respective player's shot, but they are never broadcasted to the viewers live. All recorded shots are "edited" (set start and end for each clip) in real-time and then put in a playlist, much like a playlist on Spotify/Tidal/Apple Music. The producer simply presses play on that playlist and puts it in 1,25x the speed. The commentators now see the exact same sped up video as the TV viewers do, but it is never live. However, this is how the picture is sped up without the commentators talking in 1,25x speed, which would be very obvious.

Step 1: record everything without broadcasting it to the viewers

EVS operator #1 records Tiger

EVS operator #2 records Rory

EVS operator #3 records Rickie

Step 2: hit Play

The producer plays the recorded playlist with the clips of Tiger. Rory and Rickie. Puts it in 1,25x speed.

Step 3

Put graphics and commentary on the video as usual

Step 4

Count the $ from the additional commercial slots (and yes, potentially more golf shots can be seen by the golf fans during the same lenght of broadcast)

Let me know if I can clarify anything or you have any questions. Any experienced TV crew in sports could easily do this, and golf is the perfect sport for it when it comes to the execution.

Titleist TSr2 9* - Ventus Blue TR 6X

Titleist TS3 15* - Ventus Black 7X

Titleist TS2 18* - Ventus Black 8X

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2i - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist 620 MB 4-P - PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 Raw 52F / 56M / WW 60T

Nike 006 Rory Prototype

I've worked +15 years in broadcasting with live sports (hockey, golf, soccer/football, tennis, skiing, basketball... you name it) and we call it "fake live". However, I've never worked with something that was sped up like this, but I know how to do it.

Every single camera feed is recorded into something called an EVS, which is basically a recording machine, from which you play all instant replays and taped material (e.g. highlights from yesterday's round) during a broadcast. The EVS operator will "record" a camera that is not broadcasted to the TV viewers, and then, when ready, we can broadcast a recorded shot/highlight - only nobody really knows it is recorded, it appears to be live. Ever wondered why there's ALWAYS someone ready'ish to make a shot in golf? Well, they're not. Most of it is recorded and then played with delay for everything from 5 seconds to 2 minutes, depending on timing.

Now, on how to do the 1,25x speed "live" broadcasts and, hopefully, an explanation to those of you who struggles with "Impossible!! It would happen before rel-time!!" etc.

There are multiple EVS operators for each live broadcast; meaning that each one is recording a respective player's shot, but they are never broadcasted to the viewers live. All recorded shots are "edited" (set start and end for each clip) in real-time and then put in a playlist, much like a playlist on Spotify/Tidal/Apple Music. The producer simply presses play on that playlist and puts it in 1,25x the speed. The commentators now see the exact same sped up video as the TV viewers do, but it is never live. However, this is how the picture is sped up without the commentators talking in 1,25x speed, which would be very obvious.

The producer plays the recorded playlist with the clips of Tiger. Rory and Rickie. Puts it in 1,25x speed.

Step 3

Step 4

Count the $ from the additional commercial slots (and yes, potentially more golf shots can be seen by the golf fans during the same lenght of broadcast)

Let me know if I can clarify anything or you have any questions. Any experienced TV crew in sports could easily do this, and golf is the perfect sport for it when it comes to the execution.

Whenn Golf Channel picks up the UK feed of Euro Tour events, I think they do something similar but they play back an already edited and broadcasted feed, mute the commentary and play it back while a Florida studio announcer supplies voiceover commentary.

Then as soon as they revert to showing the incoming feed at normal speed they let us hear the UK commentators. That’s why every time GC comes out of a commercial break on early morning Euro Tour coverage there is a couple minutes of the obviously dubbed in voiceover then an abrupt cut back to the real commentators.

25% speed up would be so ridiculous that it would look like a Benny Hill clip. Just go to any PGA Tour clip and click on the gear settings and set it to 1.25

The problem the OP is really experiencing is the "soap opera" effect which makes the video look "strange"

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-soap-opera-effect-when-your-tv-tries-to-be-smarter-than-you/

It is being passed off as live TV. I analyze golf shots all the time. This was sped up.

Believe it or not. It’s plain annoying.

Someone can post a side by side comparison of the 1.25 speed and normal speed. Until then, feel free to doubt. And even after then , when the truth smacks you in the face. Keep on doubting. Does not bother me

I don't know about Greenbrier, but I've always thought European golf looked "off" because of the different frame rate- European broadcasts in 25 frames per second on America TVs set for 30 frames per second.

The European Broadcasts are on the metric system. That is why they look different.

I knew that damn metric system would rear its ugly head again......

It is being passed off as live TV. I analyze golf shots all the time. This was sped up.

Someone can post a side by side comparison of the 1.25 speed and normal speed. Until then, feel free to doubt. And even after then , when the truth smacks you in the face. Keep on doubting. Does not bother me

You post side by side. 25% would be Benny hill like

Not really , they stand and squat a lot while reading their putts. The ball gets to the hole a lot faster. The fans walk and make hand gestures really fast. The pros make decisions really fast. Their swings are faster, ball flies thru the air faster. They breathe faster , spit faster, cuss faster, throw clubs faster.

I could go on...

If all shots are tape delayed, then why no bleep when someone let's out an f'bomb after launching a tee shot in the woods ? I.B. Finch just apologized profusely a few events back for someone's on camera language. If every second of every televised round is tape delayed then should that really sneak through.

Who said “every second, every round”?

They mix live and delayed as it suits them.

Step 3

Step 4

This is what I'm referring to

You quoted the same post.

Not really , they stand and squat a lot while reading their putts. The ball gets to the hole a lot faster. The fans walk and make hand gestures really fast. The pros make decisions really fast. Their swings are faster, ball flies thru the air faster. They breathe faster , spit faster, cuss faster, throw clubs faster.

I could go on...

Go to Youtube, pull up a PGA Tour clip, and change your play settings to 1.25. It's an option. It looks ridiculous.

Who is talking about refresh rate?

My bad, refresh rate AND frames per second.

I'm not talking about either of those things. The "soap opera effect" is a digital "enhancement" to the compressed video which makes odd artifacts when watching. Most TVs default to having that turned on.

I have noticed when watching golf on the actual golf channel on my internet tv, a putt will sometimes look like it speeds up in the middle of the putt. But then goes back to normal. It is somewhat herkey jerkey at times. But if I watch it on one of my other TVs through a cable box, then I have never seen anything being described in this thread. Only a few anomalies when it is streaming on the internet on my smart tv.

Who is talking about refresh rate?

My bad, refresh rate AND frames per second.

I'm not talking about either of those things. The "soap opera effect" is a digital "enhancement" to the compressed video which makes odd artifacts when watching. Most TVs default to having that turned on.

What does artifacts have to do with speed?

Can't say that I've noticed that specifically on PGA Tour broadcasts but it would not surprise me. The networks are speeding up other shows to squeeze in more ads. If you watch old Seinfeld reruns they've sped those up and cut scenes out.

Now that is a travesty. “I lie every second of the day. My whole life is a sham.”

Can't say that I've noticed that specifically on PGA Tour broadcasts but it would not surprise me. The networks are speeding up other shows to squeeze in more ads. If you watch old Seinfeld reruns they've sped those up and cut scenes out.

Now that is a travesty. “I lie every second of the day. My whole life is a sham.â€

All guys age 17-21 should be sat down and shown every Seinfeld and Curb your enthusiasm in their entirety. Our society would be such a better and funnier place.

Or it would be completely worse and non caring... ehhhhhhhh