2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

thepinkbomber

Im going to go out on a limb and point out the obvious. Those of us who are seeing scores drop because of the AVX were not an ideal fit for the ProV1 or Prov1x. It goes back to what the other ball manufactures were saying all along about too much spin hurting the average to low cap golfer. Titleist just never gave us another option other then a NXT Tour which wasnt an option but now they do.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist -ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Im going to go out on a limb and point out the obvious. Those of us who are seeing scores drop because of the AVX were not an ideal fit for the ProV1 or Prov1x. It goes back to what the other ball manufactures were saying all along about too much spin hurting the average to low cap golfer. Titleist just never gave us another option other then a NXT Tour which wasnt an option but now they do.

Bingo

Bingo

We're talking the same (more or less) driver and short-game spin as ProV1 and ProV1x with approximately 15% lower spin on full iron shots.

If some hypothetical "high handicapper" is being "hurt" by "too much spin" it sure seems they'd need something that spins a lot less than AVX. AVX has a very specific spin and trajectory profile that is not remotely in any way like that of the low-spin ball marketed as slice reducing (the Bridgestone e6 was the first really successful example).

We're talking the same (more or less) driver and short-game spin as ProV1 and ProV1x with approximately 15% lower spin on full iron shots.

If some hypothetical "high handicapper" is being "hurt" by "too much spin" it sure seems they'd need something that spins a lot less than AVX. AVX has a very specific spin and trajectory profile that is not remotely in any way like that of the low-spin ball marketed as slice reducing (the Bridgestone e6 was the first really successful example).

Pretty much this. Listen to marketing all you want. Range of side spin off the driver is minimal within golf balls. If you're slicing an e6 10 yards, you might slice a ProV1 12 yards. The further you hit the ball, the more that ball is going off line. So for all you 17 handicappers slicing it 280, please try those type of balls.

My fitter is addressing the spin issue with heavier shafts. The ball will help lower spin on my long game, but ultimately, this will require an adjustment on short game. And frankly, the golfer will have to decide whether they want to change or no. Can they adjust to how they play or not?

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Some of the launch monitor sessions that have been posted online or YouTube suggest the short-game loss of spin with AVX is minimal. Within the Titleist family they tend to show the ProV1x highest, the ProV1 a few hundred rpm less with AVX another few hundred below ProV1. So perhaps an adjustment but it should not be drastic.

For me it was always an issue with bending my iron shots too much. With the ProV1x I was skilled enough to work draws and fades but alot of the time it resulted in a miss green. I would start the ball at the pin and it would curve after apex. Ball would draw 10 yards when I only needed 5. Should of, Could of Would of started the ball further right and draw it in but hind sight is 20/20. AVX just behaves more with me working the ball. My miss of a 10 yard draw or fade is only 5 yards or so with my miss now. Still retained the braking power of back spin but tamed the side spin issue I was having when working the ball. Never had issues with side spin with the driver with missed fairways. Being a full club longer in the irons helps alot also.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist -ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

It's been years since I had any ability to curve the ball on purpose. The only thing I used to be able to do was hit a cut shot (around a tree or something) using advice Johnny Miller gave in some magazine article.

He said for most high handicapper, here's how you hit a cut shot with an iron. Use your 5-iron, take a nice, slow, long backswing and then swing as hard as you can. If you're like most hackers (he didn't call us that) the ball will slice like a son of a gun.

It's funny. Nowadays most weekend hacks don't know what a 5-iron is. It's all hybrids. And in my case, I play the Ping G irons that seem to go straighter the harder I swing. Can't hit a slice on purpose for a million bucks.

I played these in late October in Arizona. My initial impression was not too favorable. They did seem to fly lower, but other than that performed worse for me in every aspect. I like being able to hit a variety of wedge shots around the green and just couldn’t pull some of them off with avx. Distance control was harder with this ball as well, as every now and then I’d get more or less carry than expected based on strike. I’ll have to give them a more serious examination though, to really get an idea of how they perform for me compared to other balls as Arizona is not Colorado, and some inconsistent distances could also be due to the altitude difference etc.

Picked up a sleeve to try this weekend with my +1 hdcp brother. He humors me and tries the various balls I've given him (CSX, Srixon XV, TP5/x) but has never come close to switching from his tried and true ProV1x. Since this one is a Titleist, he may actually entertain switching if it's longer/straighter off the tee. Looking forward to trying them out.

I think your brother will like that ball.

Just wanted to quickly follow up on this because I found it funny and totally as I expected. We waited until the last hole of the day to try AVX. Big wide flat fairway. He hit the ProV1x first, hit it perfectly and said well this is not going to be a fair comparison because I just hit that as well as I can hit a drive. He then hit the AVX, said well I caught that okay but not as good as the first one. Definitely flew lower, and feels different, so those two added together I'm sure made him feel like he didn't catch it as well. So we drive out to the balls (both in fairway), first to the longer one that he assumes is the V1x. Lo and behold it's the AVX, longer by more than 10 paces than the V1x that he hit perfectly. He was pretty puzzled. I told him to keep the AVX and see if it's good for his game, and he gave it back and said no thanks, not interested in switching! Just the test result I expected, and frankly just the response I expected from him!!

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

Picked up a sleeve to try this weekend with my +1 hdcp brother. He humors me and tries the various balls I've given him (CSX, Srixon XV, TP5/x) but has never come close to switching from his tried and true ProV1x. Since this one is a Titleist, he may actually entertain switching if it's longer/straighter off the tee. Looking forward to trying them out.

Just wanted to quickly follow up on this because I found it funny and totally as I expected. We waited until the last hole of the day to try AVX. Big wide flat fairway. He hit the ProV1x first, hit it perfectly and said well this is not going to be a fair comparison because I just hit that as well as I can hit a drive. He then hit the AVX, said well I caught that okay but not as good as the first one. Definitely flew lower, and feels different, so those two added together I'm sure made him feel like he didn't catch it as well. So we drive out to the balls (both in fairway), first to the longer one that he assumes is the V1x. Lo and behold it's the AVX, longer by more than 10 paces than the V1x that he hit perfectly. He was pretty puzzled. I told him to keep the AVX and see if it's good for his game, and he gave it back and said no thanks, not interested in switching! Just the test result I expected, and frankly just the response I expected from him!!

You don’t change a ball based on driver distance.

LOL! Nice!

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

You don’t change a ball based on driver distance.

Agreed! Especially if you have enough distance already.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Have played this the last two rounds against my usual pro v1, have to say it's making a play to replace it, yes it's a few yards longer here and there, it is better in headwinds, but one area i do like it for my game is chip and runs, it just seems to work better for me, a problem i've always suffered with the v1 is due to spin, where it just checks a bit too much at times, leaving me well short of the hole, the AVX doesn't seem to have the same issue if you hit one groove up or down.

I think i will end up playing the V1 in calm summer weather, and the AVX is either windy or during winter, seems quite a good mix to me from what i've seen, love the option of the yellow as well.

My usual ball is Srixon ZStar XV. Tried a AVX the last couple rounds.

FOR ME the ball does not spin enough with irons. Two many iron shots went too far with not enough bite when they landed.

It feels fine. Drives and puts felt good. Even irons felt ok, not mushy as expected. Just does not perform how I need a ball to.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

The last few years I've switched through a bunch of different balls and never found anything significant on "x ball is 10 yards longer". I've always went back to Chrome Soft as its been most consistent for me, but even with the great Graphene i saw minimal gain over the previous generation ball.

That said, AVX and TP5/5X are in a league of there own when it comes to distance for me. To the point where of you play either of those balls you almost have to stick with them to dial in your gapping and yardage.

I mentioned earlier in this thread I couldn't play AVX because the mid/long iron flyer's I get were too unpredictable. Im going back to a more traditional players iron this week and giving the GI Irons some time off. AVX will immediately go back into play. It's the longest straightest ball i've ever hit and if i can generate enough spin to ditch the flyers then its a no brainer for me. The ball just performs too well everywhere else.

FOR ME the ball does not spin enough with irons. Two many iron shots went too far with not enough bite when they landed.

It feels fine. Drives and puts felt good. Even irons felt ok, not mushy as expected. Just does not perform how I need a ball to.

Try the TourSoft

Don't know why I keep having this idea in back of my mind that with AVX I'm giving up some spin around the greens. That was what I initially expected, what I thought I saw when I first tried the AVX and spent a lot of time comparing AVX and ProV1x on 20, 30, 40 yard shots. But it just hasn't shown up in 100 or so rounds of actual usage.

This weekend I had to pitch a ball over a bunker with my 60-degree. Pretty routine shot, decent lie in the rough, the carry was 18 yards and it was 25 to the hole. But I hit it a bit farther than I meant to and it actually landed pin high. For just a moment I was expecting it to release and run out 10-15 feet (like a Supersoft or similar 2-pc ball would) but no, it just hopped forward a foot or so and stopped. Heck if I'd have landed it 10 feet short of the hole like I meant to I'd have probably needed to make a longer putt for par.

So I'm officially convinced. For my rather rudimentary short game (no low spinners, no expecting wedges to suck back) the AVX and my old favorite ProV1x are 100% totally interchangeable. I can play every shot I'd have played with ProV1x in exactly the same way.

AVX gives me 8-10 yards more off the tee and handles the wind better than any ball I've ever seen. Otherwise, it's just a Titleist urethane ball and behaves like one. Sometimes things turn out to be much simpler than we expect.

The Tour Soft is going to spin much less than AVX on partial wedge shots around the green and slightly less than AVX on iron shots. There is no shot in the bag where Tour Soft will spin more than AVX.

I guess a lot of people who have never played the AVX (or Tour Soft or whatever) lose track of the fundamental differences in performance between Surlyn and Urethane balls.

AVX has fairly low iron spin FOR A URETHANE BALL. Tour Soft seems to have pretty high spin FOR A SURLYN BALL. But that doesn't mean Tour Soft spins more than Tour Soft.

It's like noting that Brooks Koepka is mighty ripped for a Tour golfer. And Luke Kuechly is not as big as many NFL inside linebackers. That doesn't mean Koepka is stronger than Kuechly.

Don't know why I keep having this idea in back of my mind that with AVX I'm giving up some spin around the greens. That was what I initially expected, what I thought I saw when I first tried the AVX and spent a lot of time comparing AVX and ProV1x on 20, 30, 40 yard shots. But it just hasn't shown up in 100 or so rounds of actual usage.

This weekend I had to pitch a ball over a bunker with my 60-degree. Pretty routine shot, decent lie in the rough, the carry was 18 yards and it was 25 to the hole. But I hit it a bit farther than I meant to and it actually landed pin high. For just a moment I was expecting it to release and run out 10-15 feet (like a Supersoft or similar 2-pc ball would) but no, it just hopped forward a foot or so and stopped. Heck if I'd have landed it 10 feet short of the hole like I meant to I'd have probably needed to make a longer putt for par.

So I'm officially convinced. For my rather rudimentary short game (no low spinners, no expecting wedges to suck back) the AVX and my old favorite ProV1x are 100% totally interchangeable. I can play every shot I'd have played with ProV1x in exactly the same way.

AVX gives me 8-10 yards more off the tee and handles the wind better than any ball I've ever seen. Otherwise, it's just a Titleist urethane ball and behaves like one. Sometimes things turn out to be much simpler than we expect.

I see the same.. AVX is a near identical replacement to me for the 15 V1X....the Grey stripe ball... Difference being launch angle and dimples...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My golf course and my local shop sold out here in northern Canada.

I haven’t seen that happen for a premium ball in years. Pro said its the fastest moving ball he’s had since taking over 8 years ago.

I noticed with the one sleeve I hit it was longer and a good ball. I would play it but I have a few balls I like.

It seems to me there is a number of player out there where you are seeing enough of an impact in your game, for which ever positive contributions it may be, to put the AVX into play. Glad to see it’s doing the same for others.

It really is a good ball. You won't regret putting it into play. Once you get past the adjustment period (like any other ball), you'll be sold too.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I play XV but I spin irons too much and hit them too high, even the 18-degree UT. Something to do with being tall (i.e. swinging quite steep) and the Recoil shafts. With my hybrids and 5wood the trajectory is just right.

Was talking to a pro yesterday and he told me to wait for the AVX to arrive in Australia as it might work wonders. Should be getting here in a month or so. Even given the insane prices of Titleist balls it would still be a lot cheaper option than reshafting the irons. Especially since I don't really know which graphite shaft would be substantially lower than the Recoil.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

So I played a couple of AVX last November(?) when they first came out. Didn't think much about it.

About to "commit" to Chrome Soft ( 3 dozen) for the rest of this year and bought a sleeve of AVX about 10 days ago. First 2 rounds with it were very good, bested my Index both times. Also played very well in a scramble on Saturday.

A little bit firmer than the CS but not nearly as firm as the ProV1x. Probably similar to the ProV1 but I haven't played that lately so it's hard to know for sure.

Ball is very long off the tee. Probably due to lower spin off the driver - and it does roll out.

It's is about 5 yards longer of the irons as well and, as might be expected, releases a bit more than the CS. I always look to repair my ball mark when I get to the green so of course I always know how much it releases or not. The CS basically hits and stick. The AVX is releasing approximately 3-4 feet on similar shots. Certainly something that can be easily adapted to.

And of course chips and short pitches run out a little more too but again, nothing that should be difficult to adapt to.

Putting ? Nothing much to note - feels/putts as nice as most other balls.

Net-net, excellent ball and MAYBE the ball I decide to play, at least for the rest of the year. :dntknw:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I bought a sleeve today and played a couple of balls for 9 holes.

Driver: Flatter flight , less spin but in the end I was hitting the same driver distances. Feel was about the same as the ProV1x

Irons\Wedges: Flatter as well, almost a parabolic flight rather than up and the air and dropping. I hit a couple irons from 7 from 155 and an 8i from 145 into the wind and they hit even with the pin and rolled off the back edge. Feel was ever so slightly clickier off the irons and wedges - but not much.

Putter: Felt great.

It's a good ball I think I'll play it again but I'm leary about its stopping power from full shots.

Bought another sleeve on the weekend.

My main thoughts:

:::FOR ME::: this ball is noticeably longer from top to bottom in my bag. Its intriguing although it cost me more strokes than it helped last round out. Irons were a minimum 7 yards longer and driver was a lower trajectory with increased roll.

Its really odd to see a ball give me so much more distance, but it didnt help me in any way. I flew some greens, I had some chips roll out further than I'm used to etc. All things you can adjust to but it was definitely a jump in distance for me.

I did buy a box after the round, I'm gonna fiddle with them for a few weeks and see if its my next official gamer ball.

My Rzn tour blacks are almost done so I'm looking for my next yellow ball to move onto for next season.

Currently using a Srizon XV and this AVX to see which wins the showdown.