2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best shot you have ever hit?

Idris789

I’ve had 2 hole in ones that were perfectly struck 6 irons but my 2 best shots ever were:

1). I was 14 or 15 and playing this downhill and downwind par 5. For some unknown reason, I became insightful and thought my 3 wood would fly higher and go further. Averaging 220 about then, I hit that 3-wood about 330 yards.

2). A few years ago, I was at Whistling Straits I playing “Shipwreck”. It was 235 dead into a huge wind. I took driver and hit a low bullet right at the hole. It just missed hitting pin and finished 25 feet past the hole.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two come to mind for me, the first is a drive i hit 310 with a three wood. To be honest I've never hit my driver 310 on the course, only on the range a few times. It was a short par 5 so I had an eight iron in (yes the par 5 is way too short) and then three putted, so that instance left a very sour taste in my mouth. The other one was my first eagle's approach shot. I had a downhill shot over some bunkers and a ranger was next to the green, he told me I missed albatross by a centimeter, and I had a tap in eagle. Otherwise everything I hit is pretty mediocre lol.

A couple weeks ago I was playing in a tournament and hit a 6 iron on the 8th hole to 2 feet, 163 yards. The distance was not too bad, but the pin was way right on the green, I started my tee shot about 10 yards right of the green and dropped it in a spot that was nearly impossible to hit for my ball flight. The only thing keeping the ball from bouncing off of the green was how windy it was, it stopped about 6 inches from the ball mark. I only went for it because I missed a 3 foot par putt the hole before and didn't even hit the lip so had a little case of red @$$ going on, it was not a very strategic line to take.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Reading through this I wonder if there should be a distinction between "best shot" and "best result."

To me, the best shot is the shot that does exactly what you wanted it to do. Are you really aiming for the stick from 260? If so, I have to applaud your confidence.

In my eyes, a shot from 230 that hits the fat part of the green I was aiming at is a lot better shot than the one I hang out right a bit and end up stiff.

Reading through this I wonder if there should be a distinction between "best shot" and "best result."

To me, the best shot is the shot that does exactly what you wanted it to do. Are you really aiming for the stick from 260? If so, I have to applaud your confidence.

In my eyes, a shot from 230 that hits the fat part of the green I was aiming at is a lot better shot than the one I hang out right a bit and end up stiff.

Agree with this. After seeing this thread title I was going to reply that chipping it in off the back of the green for birdie on #7 at Pebble Beach was my best shot. But, that is probably my most memorable shot (was my only birdie of the round). A couple of years ago (and I don't remember the course) I pulled my drive left and was blocked by a tree for approach shot. I could have punched it low under the branches and probably got close to the green or I had the option to hit a draw around it. I seldom shape shots. Just try my best to hit it straight. I decide to go for the draw around the tree. 175 yards out and had to draw it a good 40-50 yards. I setup using all the text book techniques. Executed it perfectly and put it about 10 feet from the hole and made the putt for birdie. That had to be my "best executed" shot.

Cobra King F7, Hzrdus Yellow 65 6.0

Cobra King F7 4wd, Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0

Cobra King F7 Hybrid, Hzrdus Black 85 6.0

Mizuno JPX919 HMP 5-PW, AMT White S300

Vokey SM8, 48.10F/54.14F/60.08M, Stock shafts

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S 34"

Hit mine this last Monday in the first real tournament I've ever played in (a Pro-Am).

We were four amateurs playing with a pro, who's an incredibly friendly guy. We stepped onto the tee of a dogleg Par 4, and the pro said that the *perfect* shot would be a 280 yard cut. His attempt was good, but didn't cut as much as he would have liked. I quipped that I had that shot (I'm usually not longer than about 250, and if there's any shape I can reliably put on a drive it's a draw). I proceed to hit a picture perfect 280 yard cut around a tight turn, smack into the middle of the fairway, leaving a wedge in. Strolled off the tee box like it was no thang. Felt fan-friggin-tastic!

My best shot yet:

Standing on a short par 3, green on a hillside. Sand left, and water right. I proceed to yank my tee shot so far left that I'm left of the greenside bunker on the left. I get up there and I'm in the deep stuff on the side of a hill. I need to get over the trap, land the ball softly about 4 paces on and let it release to the hole. Green slopes gently away from me, towards the water.

Oh crap...

I've tried flop shots before. Sometimes they turn out OK, some not so OK.

My ball was on a odd slope and I was going to have to take quite a swing at it to get it into the air and over the trap. Took two half-practice swings and then took a full, step-on-the-gas swing with my 60 degree wedge. The ball flies 25-30 feet up into the air, lands on the green about 4' from the hole like a bean bag.

My playing partner was just staring at my ball for about 10 seconds or so and then looks me in the eye and says that the only time he as ever seen a shot like that was on TV on a Sunday afternoon. Made me feel pretty good.

I even made the par putt. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Played in 4 man best ball tourney today..long par 4 nobody hits a great drive.so approach is about 230 into tight pin location with a bunker directly in front..hit an beautiful soft cut 3 wood to about 4ft..Hit 2 other shot within 6 ft. From 200+ on the day as well..this from me a 20 capper on my first year of actually playing on a consistent basis....guess lessons pay off..

• 2 weeks later...

Took a 1 iron out of my brothers bag while he was putting out. Dropped a random ball beside the green and flushed a gentle fade down the nearby fairway. First shot I'd hit in 10 years since giving up as a junior.

Hit shots further, closer, under more pressure, and better executed. But none of them made me stop in my tracks.

Ive been an addict ever since.

Last year playing a friendly match with some buddies. Top my drive off the #2 handicap hole on the course, rolls just barely into the fairway leaving about 230-240 to the pin. Buddy ask me what I’m doing as I go to play my 2nd shot. I say I’m going for the green with my 4 wood. He laughs because pin is tucked behind the deepest and most intimidating bunker on the course as it takes up 3/4 of the frontside green. I take a pure hack at it, dead at the pin. We’re all watching as the ball hits the backside of the lip (closer to the green) and shoots about 25 feet straight up into the air and lands on the down slope of the green towards the pin...left me with 3 feet for bird and sunk it. Best shot because I was playing catch up all day to my 3 playing partners. As we headed to the next hole (16th) I checked the scorecard and all 4 of us were tied at 80...I ended up choking on 17 and lost but man that 4 wood to 3 feet gave me some life!

• 4 weeks later...

I have to update my best shot ever. I have been hitting my long irons really well lately and started out a round the other day with a nice 4 iron off the tee. Went to the the 2nd which is a 195 yard par 3 with the green sloping from right to left. I hit a beautiful 5 iron that started out to the right and landed on the fringe but took the slope down to 1 foot from the hole. I can't say I usually have that much control of my long irons but executing a shot at that distance was especially satisfying.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

Hit my tee shot into shin deep rough with ball 16 inches above my feet. 135 to a tucked front left pin. Aimed forty yards right. Focused on making solid contact and keeping my balance. It's funny how much better I hit it when I concentrate on what I'm doing. Hit a high hook that landed on the front on the green and kicked left to probably ten feet. Best birdie of the season.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5* Tensei Blue 65 S 
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* AeroTech Steel Fiber FC HYB S (+1/2")
Srixon ZU85 4(22*) UST Recoil f3
Callaway Apex ‘21 5/6 UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway Apex Pro ‘21 7-AW UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway MD5 Tour 54*S /60*T DG S200 (+1/2")
Toulon San Diego 34” or Odyssey #1 Tank CB 38” 
Callaway Chrome Soft 3's

Par 5 192 left for my second shot. Hit 4 hybrid off an uphill lie. Never left the pin. 3 and a half feet for Eagle. Made the putt for 1 of my 3 career eagles.

Dunked a 112 yard PW on a par 4 for my other Eagle.

While I’m at it I’ll tell you about my first ever Eagle. With my wife at Furry Creek in Vancouver. Hit 3 hybrid to within 20 feet on a par 5. Made the right to left breaker for Eagle. Wife jumped into my arms to congratulate me.

Ooo got one from about 3 weeks ago.

Torrey South, #15, back tees. Tug the absolute crap out of my drive and end up on the left side of the trees, I figure I'm dead.

Walk up and see I'm ~155 out (plus distance for uphill and wind), gotta keep it under one tree then get it over another, and cut it about 15 yards over to the green from a hook lie. Pin was top left, so it would be incredibly tight - maybe 5 paces from the left edge of the green.

Figured what the hell and pulled out my 7. Beautiful contact, ball curved over just how I visualized, landed in the mid point between pin and edge of green and settled to about 8 inches from the cup. Tap in bird! My buddies were like O_o.

From about 2 months ago:

Torrey south #7 from the tips. Hit a great drive to just about the fairway bunker on the left, if you know the course. 220 in, wind screaming into my face. Betting decent $ with my uncle so I decide to just go for it. Pull out my 17* hybrid, hit a tight draw to the front middle, ball rolls up about 5 feet to within 18 inches of the cup. First time I've ever birdied the hole from the back tees!

2 holes in one are probably my best ( luckiest ) shots but another one stands out. Short par 4 305yds downhill, driveable for most decent golfers, only plays about 260. I tee up driver and hook it off the planet into the course parking lot. After my buddies stop laughing and tee off, I hit 3 off the tee and hit a perfect drive going right at the green. It rolls into the hole for a birdie. Gotta be the best shot I've ever hit.

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

Annual buddy trip late this summer with my son and 30 friends.

18th hole, par 5, hard dog-leg left, 2nd shot from 185 out over a creek, ball above my feet. I usually cut the ball but liked the lie and yardage and knew it would draw a bit.

My wife and I have enjoyed watching our son play competitively from jr golf through PGA section events but this time I'M playing and he's up by the green with some of the guys so I wanted to impress HIM this time.

Ball drew beautifully off the dime to 5' below the hole. Making memories.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I don't have an ace, so I don't have one shot that stands out. So, here are a couple:

• While in my early 20's just getting into golf seriously. Hit my Ping Eye2 8 iron to within 2 feet. Great contact and ball flight. It was the first time I really stuck a full shot real close.
  • 3 wood, cut shot on purpose, carried the green side bunker to get on par 5 in two. It was a scramble. A playing partner made the 25 foot eagle putt.
  • My first eagle, big sweeping 3 foot putt on a par five. I had no expectation to make it, so the eagle was a total gift.
  • Longest shot I ever holed out, 75 yard pw.

Hit em good

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

My best shot was way back in 1988. It was the par 5 10th hole on the old Metropolitan Golf Club in Cape Town. I had 220m left for my second shot. I hit the ball off the deck with my tiny Tommy Armour 10 degree driver. The ball didn't fly higher than 5 meters. It rolled about a hundred and came to rest on the green. That was the first time that I had reached a Par 5 green in 2. I'll never forget that moment.

Have to say a 4 iron recovery shot from right rough. (Low rough). Wasn’t a real long hole but a dogleg left wifh approach over a small pond in front of green. I had push sliced my 3 wood into this area. I did have a slight uphill shot which aided flight. I hit a very nice high shot and it lands within 8 feet. I missed my birdie but didn’t really care after that approach shot.

Ya, hitting it pure + following the "game plan" = max points :)

Had two shots like that a few weeks ago in our City Championship, which has a field of about 100 golfers, half the field of slightly better than average public players (~5-7 hdcps ... (me) ) , with the usual couple of "ringers" thrown in (that usually win it LDO).

First Shot

------------

After starting the 8:00 a.m. shotgun in cool ~60F / northerly winds / overcast, and making a mess of our first hole, an easy 500 p5, I was already pi#%#, and trying not to get into "panic mode" :)

The next hole was a ~200 yd p3 with the pin tucked back left.

As we waited, I took several practice swings to try to get some blood flowing ... both in muscles and "brain" ;).

With the pin in the back left corner, tees back, cool air, the 2hy was just (maybe ?) in my range, but I knew I needed a good one (best ?).

I picked a target ~10 yards right of the pin / bunker, planning a high draw, made what felt like a good swing, and looked up to see it tracking on the perfect line.

As a ~1.5x a week player this year, the shot, was almost unbelievable. I'd hit that green before with the same club, but never with so much precision. Heh, maybe I need to focus more on shots / targets, and less on swing thoughts :/

It ended up ~5 feet above the hole, but I "gagged" on the putt (made par).

** It didn't help that I had to wait ~10 minutes to hit the putt.. Don't you hate when the rest of the foursome is hacking around, then you finally (as the closest), get to putt, while everyone is ready to leave for the next tee ? *

Second Shot

----------------

After hitting another awful "wipe" off the tee on the short p4 1st, I could only punch out under a tree ~40 yards left of the green.

I was facing the entire width (~50 yards) of the green, with the pin sitting on a "table top", about 2 yards past the ridge, that rose ~5 feet.

Feeling oddly calm and relaxed, I pulled out a 50deg wedge and hit a perfect punch shot, that hit ~10-20 feet short of the ridge, and "climbed up" to end up ~2 feet away. Again, just like I *imagined* it. (Heh maybe that Nicklaus guy was "on to something" ?)

Once again, I had to wait for everyone else, but managed to "shake" it in.

Three other shots were highlights that day : two 60deg wedges hit off "british-open-like" super tight fairways, that I hit perfectly (one ~4 feet over a trap... missed the putt again), the other ~12 feet by the pin on a rock hard green.

And then on the hardest p4 on the course (only ~390, but I'm old and short off the tee :) ), I hit my best drive, only to end up on dumb little "fairway wave" that is right at about the 240 mark off the tee, leaving me a ~30 degree upslope with ~160 to the pin. A perfectly flush "geezer 5i" to ~20 feet was more than I could ever want. (And another "barfed" putt, but still made par, left a "sour / sweet" memory of the hole.

Although I made a H-1 on our dinky ~80 yd p3 6th this year (and in the Senior Championship), I consider that more a "best result" than best shot, as though I made a decent swing, I caught it slightly thin (which actually helped probably to spin it back into the hole :)

One other "recent" (last year) "planned" shot, was on the same p3 18th, similar back left pin, only it was *warm* out, but with a healthy wind-into, requiring a 3wood. (Also last year, I was in year 3 of my "golf rejuvenation" (after a ~10 yr layoff), and wasn't swinging nearly as well as this year).

My tee ball found the left front bunker, a fairly deep one ~5 feet, to where only the pin was visible. I walked up to the front of the bunker to see the green, and actually *read* the break, thinking / dreaming I was going to hole the shot.

Back over the ball, I imagined a low running shot, swung ... and yup ... down it went !

It was fun that a couple of the other guys in the tourney were sitting behind the green and gave me the "gallery cheer", as I (not so humbly) "mock bowed" :)

----

Oh ... to only be able to "remember" / have the capability to be in that mind-set / physical state, when always playing ... every hole :)

The number 4 hole at my home course Mayfair Golf Club in Sanford, FL is a hole that even Ben Hogan said was one of the hardest he had ever played in his entire professional career. A tight dog leg right playing 453 yards with a giant Magnolia on the right giving you a tiny window to work with to the left (between another staggered magnolia) to get it over the crest of a giant hill. If you land it short you are facing a 200-220 yard second shot to hopefully save par typically on a severe downhill lie with another magnolia tree guarding the front right of the green forcing you to work a fade into the green with anything missed left of the green dead and wet.

Facing this, I landed short just below the giant Magnolia, with about 210 left to the center of the green, and managed to flush a hybrid with a fade on a rope that landed 3 feet from the pin.

It is still the only time I have had a green in regulation on that hole.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash