Fortnite and Rickie Fowler

I watched a half hour show on youtube which was Zach Johnson giving different putting drills. It was fantastic. I had my son watch it with me and we both use several of the drills when practicing. So the notion that you can't improve your golf game by watching youtube, or any other platform is just false.

That is much different than watching a swing video to improve your game or to get your lessons from.

No one limited it to watching swing videos. He said watching youtube "to learn and improve our games"

Watching putting drills on YouTube is not improving your game. That is coming up with a drill that you have to practice to improve your game. There is no technique taught. To "Learn and Improve our games" is watching to get coaching and learn techniques. You aren't talking about that, but you can think what you want to think and argue what you want to argue. Not wasting my breathe on you any more.

I think you are all splitting hairs. I watch YouTube golf videos to "improve my knowledge of the game (or swing)". Certainly, knowledge can improve your game. For example, if you didn't know before that hitting out of rough is harder than fairway and that perhaps you needed a steeper swing or to understand that you won't get as much spin on the ball from the rough, you learned something valuable. You can use that information on the course later. Now, to improve your shots out of the rough, you have to take the knowledge you learned and go physically practice it.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we agree the Orange Justice (dance) is ruining our kids' swings? Lol

Unfortunately, my kid doesn't mind if I video him doing that goofy dance.

Exactly. My son scores a touchdown and all of a sudden he busts out the Zany dance

Ping G430 Max 10k
Ping G430 2 Hybrid
Ping I230 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite S+
Ping Forged 50* 54* 60*
Ping D60

Exactly. My son scores a touchdown and all of a sudden he busts out the Zany dance

so do NFL players....the new Madden game incorporated these dances...fortnite has taken over the world

Glad to see my kid ain't the only one. I always tell him if he applied his obsession with fortnite to golf, he's be a pro already. Hahaha

When season 5 came out my son sent me a text at 6 am asking if i'll approve the battle pass purchase. I told him he better wake his butt up this easily when school starts lol.

Ping G430 Max 10k
Ping G430 2 Hybrid
Ping I230 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite S+
Ping Forged 50* 54* 60*
Ping D60

I watched a half hour show on youtube which was Zach Johnson giving different putting drills. It was fantastic. I had my son watch it with me and we both use several of the drills when practicing. So the notion that you can't improve your golf game by watching youtube, or any other platform is just false.

That is much different than watching a swing video to improve your game or to get your lessons from.

No one limited it to watching swing videos. He said watching youtube "to learn and improve our games"

Watching putting drills on YouTube is not improving your game. That is coming up with a drill that you have to practice to improve your game. There is no technique taught. To "Learn and Improve our games" is watching to get coaching and learn techniques. You aren't talking about that, but you can think what you want to think and argue what you want to argue. Not wasting my breathe on you any more.

You told me you blocked me months ago. You should have stuck with that. I will continue to frustrate you because you are closed minded and think everything is black and white or exactly what you are thinking at that moment. I will always push back on this. Toughen up or block me.

I think you are all splitting hairs. I watch YouTube golf videos to "improve my knowledge of the game (or swing)". Certainly, knowledge can improve your game. For example, if you didn't know before that hitting out of rough is harder than fairway and that perhaps you needed a steeper swing or to understand that you won't get as much spin on the ball from the rough, you learned something valuable. You can use that information on the course later. Now, to improve your shots out of the rough, you have to take the knowledge you learned and go physically practice it.

That's the norm for him. He assigns a narrow definition to something and anything that deviates from that is wrong. I usually just lay off of him and let others point it out to him but he quoted my post so I responded. Hopefully he just blocks me again.

Unless your kid is really up and coming, as in maybe some D1 schools are already getting wind of him... I wouldn't 'force' his hand at anything. If he wants to waste his time on Fortnite... let him. If you shove golf (or any sport) down his throat when he does not want to concentrate on it, he will resent you for it and you'll be "that dad" who makes his kid do sports against their will.

Growing up I had soooo many friends whose dad was that guy, and it really isn't flattering. While maybe you should limit your son's video game time, I also wouldn't demand that does golf more than he already wants/does. Kids be kids.

What is the orange justice?. Lately I see all the kids doing the Floss! in ln my sons PGA JL match on Sunday his group decided the winning team GOT to do the floss . There they were all together on the 9th green Flossin’ . Lol

It sounds like I am in the minority; but Fornite was never introduced in our household. I basically nipped it in the bud before the kid could ask for it; I get the social aspect but do believe that such games are addictive and it takes away from the overall development. FWIW - i feel the same way about him playing/practicing too much of golf - we take a break when it becomes a obsession or school work/other activities are impacted.

Everyone has different parenting styles but this whole notion of "let the kid be a kid" / "waste time playing fortnite" is something I will not understand. I guess we can all agree to disagree and this post is not meant to be confrontational.

If you do believe that your child is less interested in golf and more in video games then you see if it a passing phase or see how they react to not playing well during a tournament etc. At the end of day, you cannot force them to play golf or any activity but you can definitely guide them and help them understand the consequence of their actions.

What is the orange justice?. Lately I see all the kids doing the Floss! in ln my sons PGA JL match on Sunday his group decided the winning team GOT to do the floss . There they were all together on the 9th green Flossin' . Lol

The Floss is so 2013. Lol. I only know this lame OJ dance because my kid won't stop doing it!

No parent who is serious about children's development would allow them to play addictive videogames like fortnight

Lol, no kids I take it? You would rather them run around the hood for hours getting street cred...

My kids play it and both made A honor roll for the YEAR!

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

What is the orange justice?. Lately I see all the kids doing the Floss! in ln my sons PGA JL match on Sunday his group decided the winning team GOT to do the floss . There they were all together on the 9th green Flossin' . Lol

The Floss is so 2013. Lol. I only know this lame OJ dance because my kid won't stop doing it!

Is that where you drive a white bronco down the freeway at 25 mph or where you try on isotoner gloves that don't fit?

Hahahaha, Orange Justice man

Is that where you drive a white bronco down the freeway at 25 mph or where you try on isotoner gloves that don't fit?

Hahahaha, Orange Justice man

Now I feel clueless,. What is orange justice? Do I need to play fornite to be part of WRX? :)

week 1 challenges....complete.....finally found a dam LLama.....

My 5 yo is nicknamed "Lucky LLama". She is the only one that can find those dam things. I think she gets one every other game.

I know video games come and go, but sometimes something so big happens that it actually makes history. I don't think I have seen a fad come around that had staying power since Pokemon, and before that it was the 1st Nintendo. So many parents were against the Nintendo, but eventually pretty much every home in America had one. Unless something crazy happens to kill this Fortnite thing, streaming MP games are going to be the mainstream. It may not be Fortnite, but something will replace it.

It's like this. Tons of success have been made in the gaming industry over the last 20-25 years, but it's when you crack into the "normal" people that you make real money. And that is what Epic Games did. Those guys are making some serious coin, and not because they just made they next best game, but they cracked the code and got the "normies" to play. It's those folks that never play games, that still want to get in on the action. But it will also be those same "normies" that will kill it. It has to evolve, and it will never make as much money as it is right now, but I think they will keep the trend going.

My 5 yo is nicknamed "Lucky LLama". She is the only one that can find those dam things. I think she gets one every other game.

I know video games come and go, but sometimes something so big happens that it actually makes history. I don't think I have seen a fad come around that had staying power since Pokemon, and before that it was the 1st Nintendo. So many parents were against the Nintendo, but eventually pretty much every home in America had one. Unless something crazy happens to kill this Fortnite thing, streaming MP games are going to be the mainstream. It may not be Fortnite, but something will replace it.

It's like this. Tons of success have been made in the gaming industry over the last 20-25 years, but it's when you crack into the "normal" people that you make real money. And that is what Epic Games did. Those guys are making some serious coin, and not because they just made they next best game, but they cracked the code and got the "normies" to play. It's those folks that never play games, that still want to get in on the action. But it will also be those same "normies" that will kill it. It has to evolve, and it will never make as much money as it is right now, but I think they will keep the trend going.

It is addicting because it involves random luck, gambling aspect, social interaction, and it is a game. The game is never the same and they evolve it by changing weapons and maps.

This game is one of if not the best video games of all time.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I have a deal with my kid. He's a straight A student. I get grade updates constantly online from his school. His passions right now are video games, playing ice hockey and playing golf. If he maintains straight A's he gets to do basically whatever he wants. One B, he loses video games. 2 B's he loses ice hockey. Worse than that and he's basically grounded from his hobbies until the grades improve. He finished the 4th grade with straight A's. He's had an awesome summer. Went to golf camp for a couple weeks, hockey camp for a couple weeks and stays up late every night playing Fortnite. His "job" is to get excel in school. Everything else is frosting of his choice.

This game is one of if not the best video game of all time.

As a former WoW player I like two things about it. One, your "skill" from game to game resets. You dont have fully leveled up characters loaded with weapons and armor playing against completely new players. Experienced, sure, but the equipment resets to zero. Second, I love that games reset and get you back into a new one within a minute or two.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

It is addicting because it involves random luck, gambling aspect, social interaction, and it is a game. The game is never the same and they evolve it by changing weapons and maps.

This game is one of if not the best video game of all time.

agreed, except when you are playing squads and the 8 yr old on the headset complains that you only have 1 kill...and the language used by kids on this game is unreal.... one day a younger kid says to my bro-in law "you even play bro?" after he got shot once.....it was hilarious....

50v50 mode is the best......except when a team mate sabotages you and refuses to revive you.....

I have a deal with my kid. He's a straight A student. I get grade updates constantly online from his school. His passions right now are video games, playing ice hockey and playing golf. If he maintains straight A's he gets to do basically whatever he wants. One B, he loses video games. 2 B's he loses ice hockey. Worse than that and he's basically grounded from his hobbies until the grades improve. He finished the 4th grade with straight A's. He's had an awesome summer. Went to golf camp for a couple weeks, hockey camp for a couple weeks and stays up late every night playing Fortnite. His "job" is to get excel in school. Everything else is frosting of his choice.

We have started using the same way. Ours makes very good grades. Going to be an 8th grader and already has a 4.0 in high school credit and course work.

Garbage taken out

Table Cleaned from Dinner

Room Cleaned

Reading done

SAT/ACT prep done.

We have started using the same way. Ours makes very good grades. Going to be an 8th grader and already has a 4.0 in high school credit and course work.

Garbage taken out

Table Cleaned from Dinner

Room Cleaned

Reading done

SAT/ACT prep done.

let me amend that for you so he would enjoy it...

eat dinner

fortnite

read

fortnite

take garbage out

fortnite

fortnite

homework

fortnite

If you're a parent forcing you're child to practice , I can tell you what's going to happen when you're child gets to college level golf , and you are not going to like it. They'll suddenly have zero drive (in your opinion ) however they've never had that drive and it's always been a parent pushed drive. Sadly I've seen this among way to many kids in my 4 years so far of college golf

No one said anything about forcing kids to practice

Playing outside with other kids, reading a book, using imagination to have fun around the house, listening to music are all better uses of time and ARE NOT addictive

Video games are an inferior use of kids' time

When kids get immersed with video games they lose perspective and reality and waste endless hours without an understanding of how long they've been playing

Doing 10 minutes of homework is torture, but playing 6 hours straight of Fortnight is no problem and they complain if you ask them to stop

I've seen it happen with our older kids friends - wasting summer vacations and family trips glued to phones or tablets playing games

It will end badly for those kids and society overall when they get older

LOL. Plenty of kids played a s*** ton of video games and turned out fine. I know I played them a whole lot growing up and turned out fine... Minus a cussing a little too much.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

If you're a parent forcing you're child to practice , I can tell you what's going to happen when you're child gets to college level golf , and you are not going to like it. They'll suddenly have zero drive (in your opinion ) however they've never had that drive and it's always been a parent pushed drive. Sadly I've seen this among way to many kids in my 4 years so far of college golf

No one said anything about forcing kids to practice

Playing outside with other kids, reading a book, using imagination to have fun around the house, listening to music are all better uses of time and ARE NOT addictive

Video games are an inferior use of kids' time

When kids get immersed with video games they lose perspective and reality and waste endless hours without an understanding of how long they've been playing

Doing 10 minutes of homework is torture, but playing 6 hours straight of Fortnight is no problem and they complain if you ask them to stop

I've seen it happen with our older kids friends - wasting summer vacations and family trips glued to phones or tablets playing games

It will end badly for those kids and society overall when they get older

LOL. Plenty of kids played a s*** ton of video games and turned out fine. I know I played them a whole lot growing up and turned out fine... Minus a cussing a little too much.

Oklahoma State and Oklahoma players in the show Driven played all the time.

I agree with the guy that said everything in moderation. I'm in my late 20s and engaged and still play fortnite but I enjoy other things alot more like hanging out with my future wife and playing golf. Also I really only play fortnite with my other friends. Also I really didn't enjoy watching sports on TV until late high school or college. I wouldn't worry to much as long as he still practices and enjoys the game of golf and isn't glued to fortnite all the time.