Ever Meet Someone Who Has "It"?

Sean2

We all know golf is a difficult game, but for those few the game isn't THAT hard.

I play regularly with a young man of 22. This is his third hear of playing and he is down to a 3.4. He has never had a lesson. His ball speed is in the mid-180s, he can hit a true stinger (4-iron goes about 240 +/-).

His numbers are the same as the longest hitters on Tour. He doesn't look like he is swinging hard, his predominant shot shape is a gentle draw, and he has a decent short game.

He has that unquantifiable "it" factor. For example, a very short 265 hard par 4, very narrow opening to the green surrounded by hazards, and he hits a towering 3 hybrid landing 10 fee from the hole and makes the putt.

He works full-time, can't practice all that much, but whatever it is, he has got "it". And, "it" is a lot of fun watching him play this game. :-)

I hope you all get to enjoy the same experience.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My best friend growing up had “it”. Never took a lesson in his life. At like 12 years old he decided he wanted to be good at golf and decided to mimic Fred Couples’ swing. Low and behold his swing was a carbon copy of Couples. He could hit the ball a mile and had an amazing short game to boot. We played with a tour player for a few holes in the mid 90s when my friend was 15 and he was blowing it past the guy and this guy was by no means a short hitter. My friend was just a natural. At every sport actually. His only issue was he was an introvert to the Nth degree. And because of that I’m convinced he tanked whenever he was contending for a big title. At the time I thought he was a choke artist, but looking back I actually think it was something else. He turned down offers to golf powerhouses to play at a tiny private Christian college. Then he quietly gave up the game after college. Had he been an Uber competitive guy there’s no doubt in my mind he was Tour material.

I'm not friends per se with this kid, but we had mutual friends. They would tell me that he has "it". Like, pick up a controller and smoke you in any video game, even if he never played it before. Like, play "horse" and make the most ridiculous baskets.

The same applied to him in golf. I played with him once, he said it was about his 6th or 7th time playing, and he LOOKED like he had been playing for years. He also hit the ball like he had been playing for years.

I don't think he could tell you what the capital of Wisconsin was, or how many actually make a "dozen", but...man...the other stuff...

We’ve got an assistant pro who’s only 22-23 and is the best player I’ve ever seen. Sound off the club face is just pure, amazing short game and he can putt. He’s only about 5’6” and can’t weigh more than 140 pounds, but just crushes it. You’ll see him on the range hitting different shots and people just stop to watch. Definitely has “It”.

A bunch of us tried to talk to him about backing him so that he could go give professional golf a real shot but he had no interest. Wants to be a club pro and loves teaching.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Golf is full of guys that have "it" but will never sniff the tour.

I've played with a lot of them

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

We all know golf is a difficult game, but for those few the game isn't THAT hard.

I play regularly with a young man of 22. This is his third hear of playing and he is down to a 3.4. He has never had a lesson. His ball speed is in the mid-180s, he can hit a true stinger (4-iron goes about 240 +/-).

His numbers are the same as the longest hitters on Tour. He doesn't look like he is swinging hard, his predominant shot shape is a gentle draw, and he has a decent short game.

He has that unquantifiable "it" factor. For example, a very short 265 hard par 4, very narrow opening to the green surrounded by hazards, and he hits a towering 3 hybrid landing 10 fee from the hole and makes the putt.

He works full-time, can't practice all that much, but whatever it is, he has got "it". And, "it" is a lot of fun watching him play this game. :-)

I can't quite make the connection between "having it" and "using 3 hybrid."

;)

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

When I was at the San Diego Golf Academy in the early 90’s (Golf academy of America now), there was a kid named Brian like that. I’ll leave out his last name.

He was a hard core surfer and skateboarder and smoked a tremendous amount of Pot. Picture Sean Spicoli from “Fast times at Ridgemont High”. Insane natural ability. He only went to the school because his parents had agreed to pay for school and an apartment as long as he made grades. He had no interest in becoming a Club Pro. He just wanted to surf and smoke dope and live for free off his parents.

Thing was....he was REALLY good. Stupidly good. 5’ 8” and 160 pounds and 300+ with the driver ( HUGE in the 90’s), and a spectacular short game. Zero practice or giving a damn and he went out in our weekly tournaments high as a kite and shot mid 60’s routinely. Could put up a 65 from the tips with a bong in one hand. Incredible.

No idea what happened to him. I graduated before him. It always seemed quite sad that he just didn’t give a damn with all that talent. Who knows what would have happened if he actually cared.

Guy from my 'home course' has 'it'. Currently plays on the web.com, I haven't played with him as yet but have seem him tee off/played a few holes in the group behind him before. Our home course is pretty short and he drives a bunch of the greens.

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

If he had 'it' he'd be lower than a 3.4.

I'm sure he's a lovely chap, good fun to play with, and a solid stick, but there is a big 'ol world of golf out there, full of guys young and not so young, that do that sort of thing.

TBH as long as someone is cool and knows how to get around a course, I haven't been too bothered whether they were posting in the 60s or the 100s.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

First time i experienced " it " was watching a HS kid with an original Callaway Warbird driver (steel shaft) hit a 360 yd tee shot and a 220 yd 5 iron to 4 feet behind the hole and tap it in with the 5 iron. Was on a 4-man scramble team, they used almost every one of his shots, probably shot -6 on his own ball.

Oh and he borrowed the driver from a barrel in the pro shop and used a rental set of irons. His sister dropped him off at the course and drove away with his clubs still in the trunk. About DJ size and left handed. Super nice kid.

Guy I play golf with sometimes was a pretty elite junior. Used to play against Rickie and Lovemark and those guys. Got a scholarship to a big Pac 10 school but partied too much and flamed out. Immense waste of talent.

Doesn't practice or play often these days but if he shoots par it was a bad day.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

;)

He will be soon replacing it with a driving iron he recently demoed. lol

If he had 'it' he'd be lower than a 3.4.

I'm sure he's a lovely chap, good fun to play with, and a solid stick, but there is a big 'ol world of golf out there, full of guys young and not so young, that do that sort of thing.

TBH as long as someone is cool and knows how to get around a course, I haven't been too bothered whether they were posting in the 60s or the 100s.

I am sure there are, but I play 200+ rounds a year and it's something I rarely see.

Played with far more who think they have it, and don’t.

At my club in Florida I was hitting balls one evening, and a college (D1 ACC) kid starts hitting right behind me. A member walks over to say hello, and I overhear the young man say, “I think I might leave after my freshmen year to try and play.” And the response was, “oh really? Well let me give you a word of advice son if you can’t hit it better than the super...stay in school.” Not that quality ball strike means anything, but if there’s a noticeable difference. (Side note that was enlightening to me, the brutal honesty, it was refreshing to hear instead of the everyone gets a trophy mentality. I asked about it later on with the member, and he said that’s how he made his money. He’d invest in the asset if he believed in it and saw a positive ceiling). It was kind of funny to me, like I still got it! Haha

22 year old Lee Trevino made a time machine and met you for golf?! Dang that is cool.

I kid of course. Wow that guy sounds good .

;)

I can't quite make the connection between "not having it" and "using MP-4s" while talking smack about hybrids. :cheesy:

If that kid follows my experience, he could get some lessons with a certified PGA teaching pro, practice day and night and get that 3.4 up to a 10 in no time.

"It" needs to be defined.

Do you mean "It" as in, physically has the talent; +300 yd drives, putt the lights out; or "It", as in they can make the tour.

Part of having "It" is the physical talent, but also being able to mentally handle situations. Can you get around the course when you game isn't 100%; can you deal with the travel and everyone bugging you for time at every stop, yet you have to go shoot 65.

For example, take a guy like Lebron. It's his combination of physical talent (which is huge), but also his mental ability, and his foresight to take care of his body.

I think if you have" It", your playing on tour. I played with a lot of great players that hit the ball well enough but are missing " It " .If you have "it" I think you would find a way to get out there. I only have played with two guys that I thought had tour level talent and no intrest in persuing it. Both could do things that were amazing. One loves to play but had a great family business (big money) to take over and could play when he wanted . He told me he just don't think he would enjoy all the travel and playing tournament golf all the time. The other just has other things he likes to do better.

I had it once, made glad they made medicine to get ride of IT. Nothing was as bad as IT was, plus anyone who found out about it stay a couple feet away.

As for golf, yeah never had it, had to work my BUTT off to be this bad.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

"It" needs to be defined.

Do you mean "It" as in, physically has the talent; +300 yd drives, putt the lights out; or "It", as in they can make the tour.

Part of having "It" is the physical talent, but also being able to mentally handle situations. Can you get around the course when you game isn't 100%; can you deal with the travel and everyone bugging you for time at every stop, yet you have to go shoot 65.

For example, take a guy like Lebron. It's his combination of physical talent (which is huge), but also his mental ability, and his foresight to take care of his body.

I don't know. Right now he is simply a recreational golfer. Again, this is only his third year. He hasn't talked about turning pro or anything like that. He works full time, practices very little due to time constraints, and plays great golf when he does play. He doesn't have an arrogant bone in his body. Just a very nice young man who seems to have a talent for this game.

I might be wrong but I’m thinking he’s referring to that raw natural golf talent that we all talk about but hardly ever see. I’ve seen it a couple of times and, like you said, it’s quite a sight to see. Effortless power. Finesse. Touch. Almost as if they have command of the ball. A couple local brothers I know have it (the older one played a bit on the PGA tour in the 90s, then the Asian tour after an injury, younger of the two tried some mini tour stuff but never made it big) and are the two best golfers I’ve ever seen. Golf excellence is a thing of beauty.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS