Titleist Vokey Spin Milled

Golfchicago

The spin milled has more aggressive grooves and face milling to add even more spin. These things chew up balls.

1296[/snapback]

Is this the retail model you're talking about? I've seen a few in the pro shops and the grooves didn't look too deep, but they did look a little wider and sharper compared to other retail Vokey's.

Would anyone know if they are U or V or box grooves on the spin milled?

F347029F-69FF-4143-8B6F-434B82D56CC6.jpeg.a714f6661ef31e616b2b1f45f47767d4.jpeg

8C22838A-1317-449B-B668-58A0D72277A0.jpeg.72256074f59b77eb311a5c575d1829cc.jpeg

3A731042-F47B-42DD-AA1F-1C44BCE76CA9.jpeg.4e604aff2bdeef23747bed42905e5055.jpeg

604EFDFD-F313-4E9E-AE6F-515F223C3114.jpeg.2890592636da8a3ca4af280a7936a8eb.jpeg

479555A1-E062-41BC-90FB-148CF4026B88.jpeg.6355a7090714cf31e959154ad43d6bd7.jpeg

1319616F-E483-4476-BF31-DF83DCCC07D2.jpeg.7a86eaba3d94e8d01a64dcdaf2eb6d5c.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just got done with first two practice sessions with new 60.08, disgusting spin. I'm having a little trouble opening up the blade, but that's most likely because I'm out of practice. I am, however, going to consciously avoid hitting anything other that pitches and chips with it and use my 54 for those to maintain the face condition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Is the spin milled wedge easy to bend.  Thinking about getting a 54 and bending it to 52 or 53 can that be done.

61431[/snapback]

YES! :tongue:

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

• 4 weeks later...

The spin is great, but they do tear up a ball.

My old Snake Eyes 'EV' (pre-Golfsmith) and the 588 tgs spin almost as much without the ball damage.

I like the stopping power but they sure go through the ammo.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Great wedges. I have them in 58, 60 depending if I put the hybrid in the bag or not. I like the spin around the greens and with shots 70 yards and in. I would buy the 54, 56, but for those clubs I like to control the spin and I think they would spin too much. I use the HX Tour ball and these wedges tear them up pretty good after a couple shots. Both of my wedges have s200's and sole grinds done by Joe Kwok. They work great when I want to open the face up for a flop or sand shot. The grind allows me to be more aggressive because the club won't grab the turf like wedges with no heel grind. Overall a great wedge with all of the spin you need.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up my first one of these things today. The spin is incredible. I came from the Vokey oil can and when that was new, it spun quite a bit, but not a patch on this thing. Could get 30 odd feet of spin on it and the greens are slooooooooow at the moment.

Awesome wedge. Just need to learn to control it a bit better.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Great wedge.

I have the 58* with 8* bounce. It only has a slight trailing edge grind (factory, not aftermarket)

I initially found that I was catching the ground with the heel a lot. I therefore considered grinding the heel to resolve this - however....

I also thought the lie was a touch upright for me. So, I got it bent 1* flatter - and low and behold the heel stopped digging!!

It now slides under the ball when I open the face, and doesnt dig.

The leading edge is sharp enough to cut through the turf on fuller shots, and the 8* of bounce seems to kick it back up through the grass quick enough not to slow the head down too much.

I always thought I needed some fancy grind on my lob wedge, but it appears the Bob Vokey's sole design on this particular wedge are just right!!! (for ME)

I dont tend to hit it more than 60 yards - never really been a full swing guy on the lob wedge - I prefer to use my 52* for that.

However, over the next couple of weeks I will be practising hard with this club (and the 48 and 52) see if I can get some degree of confidence over my full, half and quarter swing distances. Can only help my game :)

So, I gave the wedge 5 stars as it works perfectly for me.

Scott :crazy:

PS I use ProV1's and see a little bit of scuffing on these soft balls - however, I am more than happy to sacrifice a couple of golf balls for the amount of control the bigger grooves give me :blink:

• 1 month later...

I use the 56.10 and 60.08 Vokey SM wedges. I like them pretty well. The look and feel to me are very good. Maybe a little more spin than the Vokey Black Nickel, but not a lot more. I used to play with a Vokey Black Nickel 54.10 and it spun more than the Spin Milled 56 does so far. As far as chewing up balls, during a normal round the Pro V1 holds up pretty well to wedge shots, but my swing speed is average or maybe below average, so I might not be a good yardstick on that one. Over all I like the Vokey very well. The trajectory on a Vokey 60 degree wedge seems to me to be a little lower than some of the other wedges out there. Has anyone else noticed this, or maybe it is just me.

• 5 weeks later...

i expect to use a ball or two a round anyway so it's not a big deal. I have a 54/10 with some custom grinding of the heal and it's good for a whole bunch of different shots.....tho i find i rely on my 588 60 for most stuff close in. since i live and play in vancouver mostly, and it's a rain forest, the cuts help when it's wet but teh groove takes options away close when it's dry.

i'm down with it for the full swing 100-120 yard but have to watch the pull back sometimes when you really pinch these. i can't imagine getting a sm60 seems unnecesary. even a 56 or 58 does, well to me at least.

The 58.08 has caused me to have to re-think the way I play wedge shots because I can chip/pitch the ball very close, even without much green to work with. Replaced my Cleveland 900 gunmetal 58 with it which was my primary pitch/chip/bunker wedge. I used to play for some release depending on the type of shot or lie, but with the Spin Milled it drops and stops...immediately, even from rough. Found myself really going at the pin without any roll out. Granted, that caused me to leave some shots short at first, but when I got used to it I could get a lot more aggressive. The Spin Milled 58 has a relatively wide flange (when compared to my Cleveland), even in the lower bounce, so it plays great out of the sand too.

I'm not fickle when it comes to wedges. I've been playing my 900 gunmetals since '01, right when they were first released. But I have to admit that it looks like they're being retired in favor of the Spin Milled's. I'll revisit this review when the honeymoon is over, but for right now, I'm in love.

Post-Honeymoon Follow-up:

I've played my SM58.08 for about 10 rounds now and have noticed a distinct mellowing in the spin now that the grooves aren't brand new. Still spins great though even when gouging balls out of rough. Still love it though. Probably will stay in my bag for years.

One Year Follow-Up Review:

I've had the SM58.08 in the bag for just over a year now and can tell you that the grooves don't produce nearly the same spin as they did in the beginning. This would be disappointing if not for the fact that, otherwise, the wedge just feels so good and comfortable. Its a super consistent wedge, I use it for most green side chips and bunker shots. It doesn't spin quite as much as it did when the grooves were brand new but still probably better than most other wedges out there. Its probably going to live in the gamer bag for a long time to come.

Played about 30 rounds with the SM, a 60* vokey 8 SM, and if I could afford eight balls a day and a new wedge after 30 or so rounds, I would always carry a vokey SM. I used this club just for rough and sand and trouble type shots and you can be as aggressive as you would like. Its like target practice out of the sand because the thing just darts at the whole and sticks, same out of rough and such. Club wore poorly, really couldn't be controlled (shortens full wedge into the green by an easy 15 feet), and chewed my golf balls, but its still the best wedge Ive ever played, and I might get another anyway, but I wouldn't carry more than one because the spin is alittle high.