OFFICIAL COBRA CONNECT TESTING THREAD

King Forged Tech 6-PW with Nippon Modus 12x + ½ inch. Below is a screenshot of the trackman data. It’s labeled the IZ but these are the numbers from the Modus.

Did you guys talk about spin at all? I know the FTB's are stronger than traditional lofts, but your spin still seems kind of low for a 30* iron.

I have my fitting Friday morning...it can't come quick enough!!!

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another cool thing about Arccos is its ability to display how you've played each hole over time. Definitely helpful if you tend to play the same course regularly. Here is a snapshot of the number one handicap hole on the course.

I started evaluating each hole to see where I struggle the most on the course. Ironically, two of the easier holes on the course I struggle with the most for some reason. I would have never thought that without being able to see the data.

The information Arccos can give you based off of the data is quite impressive. I should consider adjusting pin locations after each hole to get more accurate putting information.

Edel E-1

I'm going to Cobra to get fit on Saturday and can't wait! Are there any questions you guys would like answered? Anything specific you want me to hit and review?

Any of the Single Length stuff including the driving irons.

Still really interested in this, but don't think I'd ever try it unless I got the opportunity to be custom fit for all my iron/wedges.

I'm a huge driving iron fan so that is definitely on the todo list. I'm not sure how I feel about one length but will give it a shot for sure.

... ends up with the One Length driving iron!

Love it, so jelly you guys got to do this stuff. Keep us updated, sounds like such an awesome experience.

Right. I was pretty skeptical of the one length and actually found out a buddy of mine has been using them for a while. I was surprised how smooth it felt and easy to hit it was. While the rest of the clubs didn't work out for me but I was happy to put the utility in my bag.

So is the 5i the standard 7-8i length? or is it the same length as your longest iron in your bag?

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Another cool thing about Arccos is its ability to display how you've played each hole over time. Definitely helpful if you tend to play the same course regularly. Here is a snapshot of the number one handicap hole on the course.

I started evaluating each hole to see where I struggle the most on the course. Ironically, two of the easier holes on the course I struggle with the most for some reason. I would have never thought that without being able to see the data.

The information Arccos can give you based off of the data is quite impressive. I should consider adjusting pin locations after each hole to get more accurate putting information.

Im having trouble getting to that screen.... I can see my overall average scorecard for a course, but cannot figure out the breakdown of stats for individual holes like you did... is there a button some where?

Forever Changing at this point.......

King Forged Tech 6-PW with Nippon Modus 12x + ½ inch. Below is a screenshot of the trackman data. It’s labeled the IZ but these are the numbers from the Modus.

Did you guys talk about spin at all? I know the FTB's are stronger than traditional lofts, but your spin still seems kind of low for a 30* iron.

He wasn't worried about spin since we were using the low spine Bridgestone. I play a higher spinning ball so it will bet better. We mostly wanted to be able to stop the ball with Trajectory VS spin because I can always play a softer ball if needed.

Ping G430 Max 10k
Ping G430 2 Hybrid
Ping I230 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite S+
Ping Forged 50* 54* 60*
Ping D60

Im having trouble getting to that screen.... I can see my overall average scorecard for a course, but cannot figure out the breakdown of stats for individual holes like you did... is there a button some where?

Click hole history to get to that screen

Edel E-1

He wasn't worried about spin since we were using the low spine Bridgestone. I play a higher spinning ball so it will bet better. We mostly wanted to be able to stop the ball with Trajectory VS spin because I can always play a softer ball if needed.

interesting points. you're a good player (relative to most people in golf and certainly compared to me haha), I know the better players and ball changes can be an issue. You think that would be hard for you if needed?

interesting points. you're a good player (relative to most people in golf and certainly compared to me haha), I know the better players and ball changes can be an issue. You think that would be hard for you if needed?

Not at all. I change balls every time there is a sale on some. Currently playing the $20 srixon balls amazon blew out last month.

Ping G430 Max 10k
Ping G430 2 Hybrid
Ping Forged 50* 54* 60*
Ping D60

Not at all. I change balls every time there is a sale on some. Currently playing the $20 srixon balls amazon blew out last month.

nice!

I forgot to add some details from my day. One of my favorite parts of the day was when Brandon let me hit some clubs created for tour players. I was able to hit some of the early prototype one length irons made for Bryson and also hit a 4 wood made for Rickie Fowler. The 4 wood was the D+ with Project X T1100 shaft in it. The head had 27grams of hotmelt and was cut super short, maybe 2 inches shorter than a normal 4 wood. Here are some more pictures from that day.

Ping G430 Max 10k
Ping G430 2 Hybrid
Ping Forged 50* 54* 60*
Ping D60

Forgot to add this screen shot of me hitting the One length 9 iron

Those are some pretty straight shots, for a guy with L.O.F.T. issues

TM SIM Max 9* Tensei Orange 60
Titleist TS2 16.5 Motore X 75
Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85
Titleist 818H1 23* Diamana 90

Ping i500 5-7, iBlade 8-Pw 
Ping Glide 53, 58, Callaway 64*
Kevin Burns “Icemakr” custom
Stage IV MELANOMA SURVIVOR
“kids wear your sunscreen !!"

OG wrxer (check my member #)

the new clubs are here

the new clubs are here

All paired up & ready for tomorrow’s maiden voyage

Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85

Does anyone else find this information fascinating? 10 rounds of golf to yield these results.

I use my driver 79% of the time off the tee.

I use my 62* wedge 5 times per round.

I hit 47% of fairways with my driver (serious weakness)

I hit 59% of fairways with my 4W (avg 230y)

I hit the green almost 85% with my wedges

I hit the green less than 30% with my 5 & 6 iron

I hit the green the same percentage with my 3H and my 7i (granted fewer attempts with the 3H)

As you might expect the iron with the tightest dispersion is my 62*

Tied for 2nd in dispersion are my Pw and 3H

My 5,6 and 7 irons are almost the same distance (new Cobra F8 irons will cure that)

Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85

Been a good week lately! This past Friday, I flew to San Diego to get fit for my set of Cobra clubs. Brandon Dickinson fit me and he was awesome. Best fitting experience I’ve had to date – I’ve done Miles of Golf for my first set back in Michigan in college, GolfTec ~12yrs ago using a Mizuno fitting cart, D’Lance, and most recently Club Champion. Their setup is at Encinitas Ranch Golf Club at the back of the range. We first talked about my game, goals, reviewed some of my Arccos data, and talked about any interests/direction I had regarding clubs and overall setup. I let him know that I wanted to keep an open mind during the process, but wasn’t really interested in going the one length route since I really don’t practice aside from a few times early in the year. I did mention that I really liked the profile of the Forged Tours since they had a thinner topline than the Forged Tec Black (FTB).

Brandon had me warm up with the FTB with the Project X LZ 6.0, which is the current shaft I have in my Mizuno’s. They didn’t feel good or perform well for me at all, so I started the session fairly skeptical, thinking all of these people were full of it saying the FTB’s were amazing lol. After watching my swing and hearing my feedback, Brandon switched me into a Modus 120 shaft. The feel immediately got better and I was hopeful again! The Trackman data wasn’t quite what he was looking for overall – he was primarily looking at spin, launch angle, descent angle, grouping, smash factor, and of course distance; so we moved to a bunch of other shafts. I tried to go in blind as to not have any bias while I was hitting clubs, so I really don’t know all of the shafts I hit. I know I hit the Modus 120 and 130, Project X LZ 6.0 and 6.5, C-Taper Lite x-stiff, AMT 100x, and probably a couple others, but I wasn’t paying attention to what I was hitting at the time. As for heads, we primarily focused on the Forged Tour and FTB. We had a good setup with the Forged Tours, but Brandon believed we could get better numbers and take advantage of the better technology in the FTB. He kept making subtle tweaks here and there until we found the perfect combo – I started calling him the magician lol. At the end of the day, we went with FTB 5-PW with AMT X100 soft-stepped once 1.5* up with Lamkin Wrap Tec grips. I was pretty surprised that I was fit into an x-stiff shaft, albeit soft-stepped, but I couldn’t argue with the results. The irons simply felt amazing.

I won’t go into the details of the rest of the fitting for the rest of my bag since this is already pretty long, but it was awesome. Brandon is super knowledgeable and loves the challenge to find the perfect setup. We tried a bunch of different configurations trying to get everything dialed in. The rest of my bag looks like this:

Driver: F8+ w/ EvenFlow 65x tipped 1”

3/4 wood: F8 15.5* Draw w/ Tour AD IZ-7S tipped 1”

Driving iron: King Utility 18.5* w/ Tensei shaft (I can’t remember which one)

Hybrid: King OS 19* w/ UST SmacWrap 780ES F5

Irons: FTB 5-PW w/ AMT X100 soft-stepped 1x

Wedges: 52/54/58 w/ AMT S400

After we wrapped up, Brandon let me hit some of the setups Rickie and Bryson have and gave me a quick rundown of the tour truck. The one length is pretty cool overall. I hit the utility 3-iron one length. Setup like a 7i and make your normal swing. It was kind of a trip to see the ball come out so low when setting up like that, but obviously it makes sense.

After the fitting, I went to grab lunch, then had the pleasure of meeting Mike Yagley, who is the Sr Director of Innovation with Cobra Puma Golf. He gave me a really cool tour of CPG’s headquarters and chatted it up about their business and where they’re going. CPG is lucky to have Mike on their team – couldn’t be a nicer, more genuine guy, not to mention super smart. He was trying to setup a round of golf the next day, but that fell through unfortunately. Luckily for me though, him and a few others on the Cobra Connect/Arccos side, had a trip out here in Colorado so he invited me out for their presentation, lunch and a round at Fossil Trace. Great time for sure! I will say I was a bit surprised to see Mike (~6hcp) playing the F8’s as I’ve always understood them to be more of a GI club, but he absolutely killed it with them. He showed me his Arccos data and the gapping throughout his bag is spot on.

I have been really impressed with CPG thus far. They have a great product, and great people. I feel they were really smart to partner with Arccos too. It is an awesome tool for all golfers out there – those who want to endlessly mine data, those that want a quick snapshot of performance to help them make better course and club decisions, or for those that want to use the caddy feature to help them determine what club to hit while on the course.

I don’t know when I’ll get my clubs, but I know the FTB’s are back-ordered a bit. Hopefully I’ll get everything by the end of next week so I can get a couple rounds in with them before our club championship!

TL/DR? – Cobra Puma Golf is awesome, and the fitting was amazing! If you want to get fit for a set of clubs and can make the trip to San Diego, do it! Oh, and Arccos rocks too - great tool for sure!

Edit: And sorry for lack of pics. My phone decided to have charging issues the night before I left, so I was limping along until I could get it fixed. I needed it to navigate SD so I had to be careful on what to use the battery for.

Edel E-1

Received my driver, 3 wood, and 6 wood today. Super excited although the driver has the wrong shaft in it. Supposed to be 70s and it is the 60.... hopefully they can get that fixed for me as I did enjoy the 70.

This may mean I'm playing tomorrow haha.

I LOVE the look of those fairways.

I just got a F6 baffler and I've only hit it about 10 times and its probably my favorite club in my bag, so I'm eye balling all the Cobra stuff to try!

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Received my driver, 3 wood, and 6 wood today. Super excited although the driver has the wrong shaft in it. Supposed to be 70s and it is the 60.... hopefully they can get that fixed for me as I did enjoy the 70.

This may mean I'm playing tomorrow haha.

I LOVE the look of those fairways.

I just got a F6 baffler and I've only hit it about 10 times and its probably my favorite club in my bag, so I'm eye balling all the Cobra stuff to try!

I enjoy the look as well and excite dro start getting some good use with them soon

This may mean I’m playing tomorrow haha.

Sweet looking sticks Papa!!!

Titleist TSi2 9° - Mitsubishi Tensei White 60 X

Ping G400 14.5° - Matrix Black tie 7M3 SG

Ping G400 17.5° - Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold Tour 95 S

Titleist 818 H1 22° - Aldila NV 95 X

Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300 (Black)

Vanilla Wedge 50°, 55°, & 60° - KBS 610 Wedge S

Scotty Cameron Golo s5 34"

Member of #teamjetspeed - December 2013

First round yesterday with my woods and wedges. The 5 utility one length will take some time to get used to but I hit some great shots yesterday with my new 4/5 wood and OS hybrid. Can't wait for the irons to get in soon.

Ping G430 Max 10k
Ping G430 2 Hybrid
Ping Forged 50* 54* 60*
Ping D60

I had a first 9 with the woods. Some interesting thoughts.

Swing wasn’t great but I put a few good hits on the ball. Driver feels good for the most part. Nice feedback on where I hit it. When hit well it feels really good. Distance wise it was hard to compare to my normal spots as I wasn’t swinging super great today.

The tensei. So it is the 60 (waiting on the 70 to arrive) but I’m not a huge fan of it. I feel like I remember it feeling better when I was getting fit? The driver just seems alien to me at the moment haha. I think it certainly has something to do with the shaft though. Not feeling the head well enough. Also, I have been using a helium shaft in my callaway which is counterbalanced so that could explain the off feel as well. Also could be why my swing wasn’t on with the driver. Obviously 9 holes is not a good test but I’m usually pretty good at knowing whether or not something is right for me.

Fairway woods did ok as well. Feel is very different from my callaway xr16. The xr pops and has a ting to it. The cobras are like a wooden bat hitting it. Feedback to me isn’t as good as the driver or my cally 3 wood. ONLY hit a few shots with the 3 wood though and one with the 6 wood. The 6 wood performed on that shot. The 3 wood off the tee did what I wanted it to do and got a good distance on it. Off the turf, it is a lower flight than I am used to, but it is also lifted at 14.5. That may change if I can’t seem to get what I need to get out of it in terms of height/landing/etc.

Didn’t get to use my arccos though. Unfortunately, I forgot to plug my phone in last night and it was basically dead the whole round. Had to sit on the usb charger in the cart. Should be able to get a full 18 with arccos data soon though.

Sorry it took so long to get my write up done, got it all typed up and forgot to post it.

But Wow what a day it was! I was so excited I could barely sleep. Woke up two hours before my alarm went off, which is unusual because I love my sleep, sometimes a little too much. So I had breakfast and hung around until it was time to head to the course for my fitting at 7:30. I arrived at the Randolph driving range to see the Cobra tent already set up.

When I got there I met with my fitter, Seann, who was an absolute pleasure to work with. He told me he has been with Cobra, based out of Phoenix, for quite a while, 8? years IIRC and he definitely knew what he was doing. We had already emailed back and forth and you could immediately tell he was passionate about what he does.

First thing we did was discuss my current clubs and look at my Arccos data. We agreed the gaps were pretty good but noticed that I was consistently short on my approaches. I told him how my current irons balloon a ton when there's even the slightest wind. Now I knew this was due to technique primarily, but the priority here was finding a better fitting shaft and then if we could find more forgiveness great. Distance was my least concern as I'm already content with my numbers. It was time to start hitting some balls!

Then we walked over to the bay to start warming up with my current 7 iron. I wasn't sure if we'd be using normal range balls, but he had two large buckets of brand new Pinnacle Golds. Not exactly a ProV1, but this definitely beat having to hit chewed up dimple- less range balls. Now, I'm using irons that I got when I first started playing, Hogan forged Radials with lofts from the 1980s (37* 7 iron) with apex 3 shafts and though I absolutely love the feel, I have to take 3 even 4 more club's when there's even a 10 mile wind so I figured we could definitely use a lower spinning shaft. This was confirmed when I checked the trackman, carry was about 160-165 with 9000 rpm spin with a Pinnacle Gold. Yikes!

First question he asked is if I've ever tried the Modus line. I actually have demoed the 125 before and loved the feel so he handed me an F8 with a Nippon Modus 120 S shaft. For a GI club, this still looked really nice at address. Not too chunky or anything which was nice coming from a forged blade. First swing and I was in love! The shaft felt so smooth and stable, and I had a similar height but a piercing trajectory. Kept on hitting and shot after shot was a nice couple yard draw with the occasional push or over draw (definitely not a hook). Even feedback was good for a game improvement iron. I was always able to tell when I caught one off center, without my hands being punished for it. Of course with the jacked up lofts, I was hitting it much further. About 180-185 carry which is pretty much what you would expect going down 7 degrees in loft. But the dispersion was definitely way tighter and spin of course was at a much better number. And no random fliers either which was another plus.

Another important improvement was the forgiveness. Now I'm a big believer that this is often a bit exaggerated from a marketing standpoint and feel that no iron can fix a bad swing. Having said that, whether it's technological or just mental from more confidence at address, there was definitely a noticeable improvement in the numbers on mishits. I hit a couple dangerously close to the hosel that squirted right but still went about 170-175. No way would they have gone that far with my Hogans! Same with a toe hit or a shot that was caught a groove or two thin.

After the F8 he set me up with the Forged Tec Black, and man is this club purrdy! I was actually getting similar carry numbers with the F8. Still hitting a draw but not ovrerdrawing it like I was with the F8 on mishits. Forgiveness was a smidge less than the F8 but nothing major. At this point, since we were on a public range, we caught the eye of a few random guys that were intrigued. Luckily I was still hitting it well in front of a bit of a gallery haha. Seann would answer questions the lurkers had and was even nice enough to let a guy hit a few wedges in the bay next to me.

Just for giggles, Seann installed a different Modus without telling me what it was. It felt real nice but I felt like I was able to swing a little more smooth with the 120. He asked what I thought and I said it felt a bit heavier. He confirmed it was the 130 and agreed that the 120 was the way to go. The 130 was good but I think it was too big of a difference from the Apex 3s I was used to.

For fun he wanted to try going back to the F8 with a flatter lie angle to see if that reduced the curvature. Sure enough it did the trick. He told me I was hitting the irons really well and I could go either way I wanted between the FTB and F8 but did say he'd lean toward the F8 for a little extra forgiveness for days I'm not swinging it as well. I trusted his judgement 100% and though I loved the feel and look of the Forged Tec Blacks, the F8s still felt and looked great in their own right.

Unfortunately I did not grab a pic of the Trackman iron data alone. I didn't want to peek at the numbers then subconsciously change my swing when hitting different clubs or if I hit a "bad" shot. I just wanted to make the best swing I could each time and let Seann do the rest. This being my first time using Trackman, the temptation was definitely there to look at all the numbers but I resisted the urge. Gotta say though it was so cool to use it for the first time, and hear Seann rattle off the numbers here and there.

Here's a quick snap of the trackman data I grabbed at the end though. Wish I would have grabbed it after a more interesting shot, but instead you get to see the data from a nice thin pitch shot haha!

Now that we got the irons figured out, it was time to figure out hybrids/utilities. We had already discussed how I would love to find another tee club for when driver isn't working. My big miss is a slice, and it's only with the woods/ hybrids. But when it shows up it gets bad, so I needed to find a club I could confidently hit off the tee. First thing we tried was the Cobra Utility Iron at 18*. This just might be my favorite part of the whole day, because it was an absolute missile launcher! Sweet lower piercing flight with great roll. I'm a high ball hitter that doesn't normally get a lot of roll with many clubs so this was awesome! Also tried the Oversize hybrid which was also a joy to hit. Higher flight but a softer landing with similar distance. This thing looked like a mini wood at address, which was really cool IMO. We decided to add one of these in addition to the Utility. He suggested since the Utility Iron would be mainly a tee club we would go with that at 18* and the hybrid at 22*. Though most people go the other way around, I thought this made perfect sense since I would like more roll out and straighter shots off the tee, and a higher softer landing shot to be able to go for more par 5s even from an imperfect lie. Next up was Driver/woods!

Up until now I was swinging it pretty well, but lately I've been really struggling with the driver. When I hit a good shot I can get it a decent distance but like I said before I'm a slicer, and when things go south I've had rounds on Arccos where I wouldn't carry driver past my 3 iron! This is something I've picked up from when I first started that I don't expect any driver to fix. Working hard with a good instructor to correct things now but I still have bad days, and sure enough this is pretty much the shot I was hitting the entire fitting with the 3 wood and driver. It was a muggy day and I had already soaked all of my gloves and at this point, it was a struggle to even grip the club well. Even Seann was surprised as with all of the irons and hybrids, my swing path was consistently 2-3 degrees from the inside. But the wood and driver I started swinging out to in by a few degrees with a wide open club face. I was borderline shaking them it was so bad haha! No matter what configuration we tried with the weights/heads, it wasn't helping at all. Really just a mental block I was unable to get out of on this day. It happens and I wasn't mad about it.

Despite all of this, Seann was still able to find a set up that at least felt really good, and I'm sure will perform well when I finally learn how to swing a club, lmao! You could tell Seann wanted to help more, but I assured him I was not disappointed. This was the exact reason I was so happy to try the Utility Iron, for times like this when things just aren't going well. I was ecstatic just to find a shaft that felt good, and the Nardo gray looks sweet in person! This was by no means a disappointment.

Last item on the agenda was wedges. Not too much time was spent here, just tried the different grinds with various shots. The hardest decision for me was picking which finish I wanted. Both the PUR and Black wedges look so good! Eventually I landed on PUR wedges with the Versatile grind in 50, 56 bent to 55, 60*. 1* flat like the irons.

Here's the final set up:

Driver: F8 Nardo 9.5* Tensei Blue 60 S

3 wood: F8 Nardo 14.5* Tensei Blue 70 S

Utility: King Black 18* Recoil F4 stiff

Hybrid: Oversize 22* Recoil F4 stiff

Irons: F8 5-pw Nippon Modus 120 S 1*flat

Wedges: 50, 55, 60 PUR Versatile Nippon Modus Wedge 1* flat

Overall, I couldn't be happier with my experience with Seann. He was able to pretty much nail everything on his first guess, but was still willing to tinker just in case. And to be able to find a Driver/ 3 wood combo with how bad I was swinging them was nothing short of a small miracle. It is a true testament to how good he is. He has also gone out of his way to communicate with me with things like grip selection even while he was on a business trip. And the fact that he was willing to come all the way down from Phoenix just to fit me is unbelievable!I truely can't say enough good things about him and the rest of the Cobra staff. I am so stoked to see the results from the new clubs and being able to use them with the Arccos system! They are being built and will hopefully be in some time this week.

Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85

Very interesting read - really surprised at those distances though. I feel like they are way short, but I guess you can't argue with the data they've gathered. Perhaps it was supposed to be a 7h vs 7i comparison lol.

I am definitely excited to see more stuff like this from Arccos.

Edel E-1

Very interesting read - really surprised at those distances though. I feel like they are way short, but I guess you can't argue with the data they've gathered. Perhaps it was supposed to be a 7h vs 7i comparison lol.

I am definitely excited to see more stuff like this from Arccos.

sorry not everybody is a bomber like you and the rest of this group... me sitting over here with measly 240 smart distance hahahaha

My avg 4 iron (or smart distance) currently is around 170 or so? although I know that when I put a good swing on it, it will go about 185ish? but like the data says, I don't hit it well enough often enough to play a 4 iron. Hence why I went with a 6 wood and a 4h in my new set. Should be able to hit it higher and more consistently to get appropriate yardage.

lol, that wasn't meant to come off as a humble brag. I would have figured the guys with 0-5 handicaps would hit their 4i or 4h over 200yds.

And fwiw, your handicap is still better than mine, so I'll just go sit in the corner now! :cry:

On another note, I got a nice little surprise last night...

Ready to go for this weekend!

Now just waiting on the driver, 3/4w and hybrid. I have to imagine I'll get the driver and 3/4w this week...at least keeping my fingers crossed!

Edel E-1