Ever Meet Someone Who Has "It"?

Sean2

I might be wrong but I'm thinking he's referring to that raw natural golf talent that we all talk about but hardly ever see. I've seen it a couple of times and, like you said, it's quite a sight to see. Effortless power. Finesse. Touch. Almost as if they have command of the ball. A couple local brothers I know have it (the older one played a bit on the PGA tour in the 90s, then the Asian tour after an injury, younger of the two tried some mini tour stuff but never made it big) and are the two best golfers I've ever seen. Golf excellence is a thing of beauty.

Exactly Shipwreck. :hi:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know golf is a difficult game, but for those few the game isn't THAT hard.

I play regularly with a young man of 22. This is his third hear of playing and he is down to a 3.4. He has never had a lesson. His ball speed is in the mid-180s, he can hit a true stinger (4-iron goes about 240 +/-).

His numbers are the same as the longest hitters on Tour. He doesn't look like he is swinging hard, his predominant shot shape is a gentle draw, and he has a decent short game.

He has that unquantifiable "it" factor. For example, a very short 265 hard par 4, very narrow opening to the green surrounded by hazards, and he hits a towering 3 hybrid landing 10 fee from the hole and makes the putt.

He works full-time, can't practice all that much, but whatever it is, he has got "it". And, "it" is a lot of fun watching him play this game. :-)

I hope you all get to enjoy the same experience.

I can't quite make the connection between "having it" and "using 3 hybrid."

;)

I can't quite make the connection between "not having it" and "using MP-4s" while talking smack about hybrids. :cheesy:

Yeah, they're only stiff flex though. Don't have to worry about "it" status before you put the "X" in flex.

(j/k)

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

We all know golf is a difficult game, but for those few the game isn't THAT hard.

I play regularly with a young man of 22. This is his third hear of playing and he is down to a 3.4. He has never had a lesson. His ball speed is in the mid-180s, he can hit a true stinger (4-iron goes about 240 +/-).

His numbers are the same as the longest hitters on Tour. He doesn't look like he is swinging hard, his predominant shot shape is a gentle draw, and he has a decent short game.

He has that unquantifiable "it" factor. For example, a very short 265 hard par 4, very narrow opening to the green surrounded by hazards, and he hits a towering 3 hybrid landing 10 fee from the hole and makes the putt.

He works full-time, can't practice all that much, but whatever it is, he has got "it". And, "it" is a lot of fun watching him play this game. :-)

;)

I can't quite make the connection between "not having it" and "using MP-4s" while talking smack about hybrids. :cheesy:

Yeah, they're only stiff flex though. Don't have to worry about "it" status before you put the "X" in flex.

(j/k)

X flex? Maybe in your putter. Only true “it” golfers (especially those here on the WRX) have quadruple X rebar shafts that even Long Drive guys can’t hit. Git Gud son!

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I have seen it once when I was in Highschool. We were playing another school from up the road and their number one golfer was an exchange student. He was from Argentina I believe. First hole at our home course he hits his drive and it was a sound I have never heard. Same with his approach shot... a crisp click.... Makes birdie and goes on to shoot a 32 on the front. On the back he plays the same way and shoots a 32 tying the course record. What amazed me was his playing partner told me the kid took up golf 2 years earlier ! That was 1998 and I really wish I would have remembered his name because he has to be on some tour now.

ive got it, if by it u mean a rash in the groin region from walking 18 without my gold bond

Pickle juice.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I have ever played with anyone who had "it" to the level of natural talent to go play professionally. There are some guys I know who are very good to the point of winning club championships but that is several magnitudes below tour caliber golf.

I do know some people, and this irritates the bajeezus out of me given my lack of golf talent, that can not play the game for 4-5 months and go dust off the clubs and shoot in the 70's. I practice till my hands bleed and a birdie is a rare feat.

When I was 15 years old I was set to play in a 4-man scramble with some friends of mine at a course that was across town. When I arrived to the course I found out that one of the teammates could not play as he was called into work. We asked the Pro if we could have 1 person hit 2 balls and the Pro would not allow that. However, he told us that there was a guy on the putting green that showed up and was looking for a money game, but didn’t know there was a tournament going on and we should see if he was willing to play with us.

We go over to the green and we see a guy that looks a bit like a scruffy Clive Owen. He sort of looked like a pro as he was dressed with slacks, golf shirt and had a staff bag. But all of it appeared to be from 1975 and this was 1991. He obliges and joins us.

It was a shotgun start and we started on the 9th hole. As we were driving the cart out to the tee I started up a conversation with him. Being a nerd about local sports, particularly local golf, he had mentioned that he had played with a bunch of older guys that were some of the top local golfers. I had never heard of his name though and just left it at that.

The 9th hole at the course is a straight away, well open, 340 yard par-4. The issue with the hole was that the green had contours that were too steep for their stimp speed (usually running 10+). In fact, they had made a 3-putt rule for the course, including individual events as trying to putt on that green could be too time consuming. Legend had it that a multi-time city champ once 8-putted…yes, 8-putted the green and that was when they instituted the 3-putt max rule.

However, this being a 4-man scramble there was no 3-putt rule in place. My friend Rob hits first and he hits one about 250 yards down the middle. I hit second and do about the same type of shot. The guy we had join us gets up and takes a half hearted practice swing and steps up to the ball and…

It sound like G-Force was behind his club head.

As my friend Rob tells it, you just saw the ball flying and it finally lands on the front part of the green and rolls up to about 5-feet to the hole and the sounds of cash registers went off in our heads. Particularly as Rob is one of the greatest putters and short game wizards I have ever played with.

We ended up shooting -22 under par…14 birdies and 4 eagles. I remember counting only 2 birdie putts outside 10-feet we had (and they were only about 12 to 15 feet in distance).

About a month later the same guy was at my home course. Once again, looking for a money match. He couldn’t find anything and we decided to play a round and we ended up getting paired with a husband and wife couple. He hit about the longest drive I’ve ever seen on the first hole. The 2nd hole is a par-3 and then #3 and #4 are designed as such where a player of his length simply cannot hit driver.

The 5th hole was a 250 yard par-4 that doglegged slightly to the right. There was a bunker that guarded the green. I see he is hitting an iron off the tee which made sense. He would easily fly the green with the driver or a 3-wood. I figured he was hitting either a 1 or 2-iron. There were some long hitters that would play the hole with the 1 or 2-iron, aim left and try to get the ball green high with a pitch shot to an open green. But they clearly never aimed at the green because they couldn’t get it over the bunker.

He gets up and hits another ‘G-Force Ball’ and is yelling at the ball, mid-flight, to sit down. I watch the ball hit the middle of the green and roll off the back.

He says ‘man, should have hit a six iron.’

This caught my attention and incredulously I said ‘There is no <bleeping> way you hit a 5-iron.’

He pulled up the club head and showed me that he did indeed hit a 5-iron.

A few years ago, I wanted to see on Google Earth if that was truly a 250-yard 5-iron. And sure enough it was. In fact, just a few weeks ago I played the course. They redesigned the hole to make it longer, but the old green imprint is still there. And into a two club wind I hit my driver and it carried to where the back of the old green was.

And he was hitting that far (granted, no wind) with an old Wilson blade 5-iron and a balata golf ball.

A few weeks later, I started to learn about his life story and became friendly with him. His parents were hippies that worked at a tourist area that closed for the winters. In order to make money, come October they would move down to Florida. The only thing was that school was already in session. So every year they were moving him out of school to come down to Florida.

Then in the Spring, they would move back up to New York. Again, while school was in session. After a while it turned into him basically skipping school when they were in Florida. His two favorite things to do while skipping school in Florida were playing pool (I had heard he was a tremendous billiards player) and golfing.

He also had various run-ins with the law. Lots of stupid stuff. He wouldn’t hurt a fly, but he would get in trouble with the law for idiotic crap. And he started to develop an issue with drugs. The reason why he was always looking for money games is that he didn’t have much in the way of skills and playing money games was a way of supporting himself and his family. He had also gotten permanently kicked off one course for allegedly cheating in a skins game (which I wouldn’t know why he would ever need to cheat). He also told me that the first time he ever smoked weed was when he was 11 years old…with his dad.

The other issue is that people from my hometown just seemed to be jealous/envious of him. The mentality of my hometown is that anybody that was good at something there was always a large faction of people that would claim that the person cannot possibly be THAT good because they wouldn’t be here. If they were truly good at something, they would be onto bigger and better things.

But, the other part is that many people would also resent people who were truly good at something.

We had a local pro who had some success on mini-tours and was a long hitter himself. When he had heard about him and the prodigious length he sought him out for a money match. I would imagine the years of experience of being in Florida as a teenager and being part of money matches and pool hall hustles this was old hat for him.

Finally they came to an agreement, they would play for $800 and the pro was GIVING him TEN SHOTS.

The pro stood no chance. Because he shot a 62, GROSS, which tied the course record and he collected $800.

The next Spring, I was talking to a mutual friend of ours, John. John told me that this person had been arrested over the winter. He was hustling pool at a bar and got drunk and forgot that he left his prized pool-stick at the bar when the bar had closed. He had then smashed the window to break into the bar and get his pool-stick back and left a note to the bar telling him that he did it and he would pay for the damages to the window. The bar’s owner decided to press charges instead and he was put in jail.

When he came back the next Summer, he wasn’t the same golfer. He could still hit it an ungodly length, but he didn’t hit the ball as straight nor was he as consistent as he usually was. He would get into trouble with the law again, go to jail and then come back and his game would regress. Mostly it was snap hooks that killed his game and every time he came out of jail he would start hitting snap hooks more often.

But, I tell you this…for that one year I have never seen anybody that could strike a ball like he did. He wasn’t some RE-MAX Long Drive competitor type that could just hit the ball an ungodly distance. He was incredibly accurate with his driver and had a very refined game. He was excellent with his wedges and irons. He could alter the windows, curvature and spin rate very well on command.

In fact, one of my biggest regrets in my time playing golf is that I never got to record a video of his swing. I saw Tiger Woods, in person, from 1993-2000 and he’s the only person I could compare in terms of ballstriking. But, Tiger was noticeably SHORTER in distance.

A couple of years later I watched the movie A Bronx Tale for the first time and the scene that resonated with me was the father, Lorenzo, teaching his son on the bus that the saddest thing in life is wasted talent. When I heard that, I immediately thought of him. And every time I come across A Bronx Tale, I still think of him.

Over the past few years I have googled him and found that he has been in and out of prison. Usually it’s for drug possession or selling drugs. I imagine that he hasn’t touched a club in years. But as far as having ‘IT’, he had it more than any golfer I’ve ever seen. It’s too bad that I’m one of the few that ever got to see it.

RH

His name is Mike and he works in construction doing concrete and landscaping. When he isn't working, he's playing golf. He did our front walk and brick-paver driveway. Outstanding work. Very professional. After it was done and I paid him, I took him to our club for 18 holes and lunch to say thanks.

First time seeing the place, he shot a 66. We played more than a few casual rounds together, and I never saw him shoot anything over 68.

Mike is often my guest for our member-guest events. It's really fun watching someone who is really good but doesn't take it too seriously.

;)

(j/k)

X flex? Maybe in your putter. Only true "it" golfers (especially those here on the WRX) have quadruple X rebar shafts that even Long Drive guys can't hit. Git Gud son!

That's what I'm saying!

See...I suck.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

;)

yeah....I'm 52, 30lbs. overweight, 5'7", barely break 80 and I go that shot.

But, I tell you this…for that one year I have never seen anybody that could strike a ball like he did. He wasn’t some RE-MAX Long Drive competitor type that could just hit the ball an ungodly distance. He was incredibly accurate with his driver and had a very refined game. He was excellent with his wedges and irons. He could alter the windows, curvature and spin rate very well on command.

How big was he ?

Typical "lanky type" ?

I was lucky to grow up with a group of very good junior players. One of them shot 63 (a state record) as a sophomore in High School. One of them was close to the youngest winner every on the AGJA. Several of them won college tournaments. On and on. Many of them went on to play college golf and a few of those D1. Three of them are currently trying to make it as tour pros.

Of them all, one stands out to me as just having such a talent for me to say he had "it." This guy was about 5'6" 125-130 and would unleash holy hell on the golf ball. I watched him (this was all 10+ years ago) smash 325+ yard driver after 325+ yard drive. Once watched him hit Driver 5 iron on to a par 5 green on a par 5 that is over 600 yards. He could very casually shoot 7+ under. The kicker? He hardly ever practiced. I mean, sure he practiced, but the way he played you'd have thought he spent hours and hours at the course. Nope.

Last I heard he was playing mini-tour events.

I grew up playing tournaments in the Northern Texas PGA from the time I started playing until I was about 14. When I was 14, there was this 10 year old kid who started playing with us in the 14-and-under group because his parents didn't seem to think the 12s division presented enough challenge, and lobbied the organizers to let him play up a class. We all of course thought that was pretty pretentious, at least until this tiny little left-handed 10 year old started dropping 75s off the 6500yd tees every time out to either win or come close in every tournament he entered. I mean this kid was about a full foot shorter than most of the guys he's get paired with.

He didn't last long on the NTPGA, as I imagine he quickly graduated to AJGA tournaments and such. I literally had no idea what had happened to the kid until I was watching golf on TV one day and saw his name on the first page of the leaderboard as it flashed on the screen. He's now made nearly $2mn in prize money on the PGA tour.

Richie Hunt

That was an awesome post and story

Thanks for sharing

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

How big was he ?

Typical "lanky type" ?

He was probably 6'1" ish. Not really lanky. Kind of a medium build.

RH

That is a really great story Richie. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I love the "G force". When my friend hits a golf ball, it makes a sound I have never heard before.

Reminds me of a guy I played high school basketball against. He could pick a dime off the top of a back board, just a freakin' natural. So gifted. Ended up getting shot and killed in some gang land thing.

Again, thanks for sharing. :-)

I only know one guy who has “it”

Tons of tournament tested studs I know, heck I’m proud to say I’ve got a low cap and some trophies in my case...

But my one buddy can roll out of bed and break par no matter where we go. Wife, two toddlers, works 50+ a week. Maybe gets 3 rounds with me a season. And he will pound me to oblivion. It’s just natural ability and talent.

He’s the guy I posted about in the “best par you ever saw” thread. First drive OB on a 320 par 4. Carries his reload to flag high and makes a 10 footer for par. There just isn’t many people on earth who can do those things.

It’s always cool to watch.

I know a few guys who had the “it” factor at the local/regional level. They both turned professional and attempted to make their ways from the smaller feeder tours (HootersNGA/GoldenBear/etc) to get into bigger events. After a few years of grinding day and night they both resumed non-golf careers and returned to amateur status. They are still excellent near scratch, or better, golfers. The level of talent is just unbelievable for us mere mortals.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

I've got something, but not "it".

Hopefully penicillin can cure it.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I was helping cart the kids around for junior golf when I was about 14 and this little Asian kid who was new to the area was in my group. His mom also rode along in her own cart and they kept to themselves, he was about 6 and playing from the women’s tees with the kids who were around 10-11. On the first hole they debated 5 or 6 iron from the fairway for a while until the Mom said just hit the 6, the front of the green looks firm and it should bounce up. I’m over in my cart rolling my eyes until the kid hits 6 iron to a couple feet. Mom definitely had “it” to be a professional caddy. :)

The kid quickly moved on to better coaching than 14 year old me could provide but I ran into him at times and would hear about him. This was around the start of things like AJGA and he tore it up. From whenever they start rankings through the end of high school he bounced around the top 10-20 in the country for his age group. He committed to an ACC school at some crazy young age. I heard a new head coach after his freshman year created issues with playing time and he also never got big enough to keep up with the distance game that has been going on for a while, last I heard he’d decided not to make a run at playing for a living.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I hate him already. Pure jealousy of course :taunt:

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)