Bushnell tour x stopped working?

My tour x just randomly stopped working yesterday. Worked half the round the out of the blue it flat out stopped working. (Not the battery)

Has anyone else had this happen? If so what did you do. I can send it into repair department, but this costs$ just to ship and have shipped back. No idea of repair cost. Not too happy with this situation right now as I’m out a rangefinder for what I assume will be minimum a month. It’s not like they are cheap to replace.

9*Cobra LTDx LS Graphite Design VR-6s
14.5* Ping G425 LST Accra TZ6 75 M4
19* TEE C723 Accra TZ6 85H M4

23* TEE C723 Accra TZ6 85H M4
5-pw Srixon mkii zx7 Modus 105s
52* Vokey F grind bent to 51
56* Vokey F grind bent to 55
60*-Callaway Jaws Full Toe 
Sizemore xb-1 mid slant tour proto

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to ask the dumb question, but did you try a brand new battery (or even more than one just in case you got a bad battery)? The reason I ask is because the first time the battery went dead in my bushnell it gave no indication the battery was low, it just worked one hole and on the next it wouldn't even try and turn on. At first I assumed the rangefinder broke, but I talked to my buddy and he said he does that when the battery dies.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

Tried a brand new battery and also the battery from my friends rangefinder so I was 100% sure it wasn’t the battery.

9*Cobra LTDx LS Graphite Design VR-6s
14.5* Ping G425 LST Accra TZ6 75 M4
19* TEE C723 Accra TZ6 85H M4

23* TEE C723 Accra TZ6 85H M4
5-pw Srixon mkii zx7 Modus 105s
52* Vokey F grind bent to 51
56* Vokey F grind bent to 55
60*-Callaway Jaws Full Toe 
Sizemore xb-1 mid slant tour proto

• 4 weeks later...

Did you ever figure out what was wrong?

I have a Bushnell Tour X that I've used for over a year. Just recently, I've had problems locking onto targets. It takes several seconds to lock onto a flag instead of a split second. It doesn't lock into dark targets anymore. Just recently, my rangefinder went from full battery to not turning on. I grabbed a new battery, hoping it would fix it. It turned on, but it still doesn't want to lock on. There are times when it won't lock onto a prism flag, or shiny cart in the sun. It just shuts off.

I need to contact Bushnell, but last time I contacted them, they wanted money just to look at the rangefinder. I can't help but regret buying a Bushnell after hearing about how great Nikon and Leupold are in terms of customer service, especially compared to Bushnell.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

I have a Tour X and it's noticeably weaker at locking on after 1 year of use. Debating whether to trade it in for a Bushnell V4 or switch to another brand. I liked it when I first got it but now it's annoyingly slow to pick up yardages.

Titleist TS3 Driver
Callaway Rogue 13.5 degree 3W
Callaway Rogue 19 degree 5W
Callaway Epic Flash 21 degree 7-wood or
Mizuno MP-H5 21 degree 3 iron
Mizuno MP-4 4-PW
Callaway MD3 54 degree
Callaway MD3 58 degree

How do you open these things up?

Looking at my Tour X, it appears to be just like my V2 was. You need to peel off the rubber covering and then you will find the screws that let you open it up. A continuity tester will be your guide.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I have a Tour X and it's noticeably weaker at locking on after 1 year of use. Debating whether to trade it in for a Bushnell V4 or switch to another brand. I liked it when I first got it but now it's annoyingly slow to pick up yardages.

I would avoid the V4,I have had too many issues with the black spots on the LCD Screen and no help other than "not a warranty issue".

I received the Tour V4 w/Slope for my birthday in February. It went dead during the last few holes of my round about a month ago. I bought 2 brand new batteries for it. It worked for 9 holes and went dead again. I have since then put another brand new battery in and it now works periodically during my round. Very frustrated. Not sure I can send it in as it was a gift, I have no proof of purchase.

Any one here who dealt with Bushnell Customer support, do they ask if you bought your range finder from a authorized dealer or not? I see a ton of bushnell on sale on the bay, just wondering if they are going to give you a hard time if it came from the bay. thanks

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

• 1 year later...

This is my second 3v. Both are a pile of s_______t

Company wants $270.00 to fix my last one. What a lousy company. Going to a different brand. LED went out. Battery is fine. I bought bushnell because they were a good company. There customer service sucks!!! If you pay $399.00 for a range finder it should last for several years not months!!!

Couldn't agree more, so many great choices now at $200 and down while Bushnell's quality is nothing like years ago and their prices go up and up, $349 for a V4 which is a plascticy shell? Take a look at PP, Golf Buddy or Nikon, all great Lasers at much less and great Customer Service. Off subject but it seems Bushnell is owned by a big group now called Vista Outdoor, take a look at their stock and that may explain why.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a love/hate relationship w/ Bushnell rangefinders, although I will never buy one of their products again. Got the Tour X as a gift in 2015. I went through 4 units in the next 5 years, as each one stopped working within 12 to 24 months. 

The good news is, Bushnell offered a 2 year warranty on the X, and since I had proof of date of purchase (was a gift from my wife), they simply replaced every unit I sent back to them within the two year warranty period. 

Generally I had two different problems...played one time on a really humid day, the viewfinder fogged up, and then stopped working. Other times, the unit would just die, even with new batteries. For a while, the battery meter would be full, and then read totally drained minutes later. I tried a host of different battery brands, but eventually the unit just stopped working no matter what I did, even with the aluminum foil hack. 

After the most recent fail, I sent the unit back, postmarked ONE DAY after my two year warranty period ended, and Bushnell refused to replace the unit. 

When they work, I do think they are the best rangefinder on the market. Accurate, fast, great optics, feel good in the hand. But these things are so poorly made and die so quickly that they aren't worth it. 

Just bought a Callaway 300 Pro via an Amazon Prime Day deal for $120. It is pretty basic, but if it lasts 2 years or more, will be worth it. 

Titleist TSi2 9o, VA Composites Slay 65 Four stiff 

Callaway Big Bertha 15o, Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki Z x5ct stiff 

Adams Idea Black Super Hybrid 19o, UST iRod stiff

Nickent 4DX IW, 23o, Matrix Ozik Altus 85 stiff

Adams Idea Super DHY Proto, 24o, Mitsubishi Rayon Javln FX i6 stiff

Ping G20, 6-PW, Ping CFS stiff

Ping Tour Gorge, 50o, KBS Tour

Cleveland Tour Action 900, 54o, FST Uniflex

TaylorMade ATV, 60o, KBS Wedge

Odyssey Backstryke D.A.R.T

• 1 year later...

So my Bushnell Tour X just stopped working as well. I tried multiple new batteries with no luck. I bought this unit off craigslist about two years ago so I know Bushnell isn't going to do anything as I used to have a 1500 that wouldn't shoot over 150 yards anymore and they didn't replace the unit or give me a discount on a new one.

I disassembled the rangefinder and didn't find any loose wires. I tried the tin foil trick. No luck on anything.

So I went out to Craigslist again and purchased a new Bushnell Tour V4, really didn't want to support Bushnell anymore as I've already had 3 units in ten or so years just stop working. I take extremely good care of my units and I try to never expose the lenses to direct sunlight. So I rush to buy another one as I had a tournament I wasn't going to start walking off sprinklers for the first time in years.

Fast forward to today, I'm getting ready to toss the old unit on ebay for parts and decide to try it again with a new battery and wouldn't you know it, it works again!!! I think I found the problem and maybe I'll get some hate for this but it's the only thing I can think of.... I got a STICKIT Magnetic Strap for Christmas last December. I took this strap off to disassemble the unit and had the unit sitting on my desk for over a week without the strap on it. I never really thought twice about this but both sides of the magnets are extremely strong. I'm guessing now that the magnets messed with some of the electronics in the rangefinder and after having the strap off for a little while the unit was able to operate normally again.

Maybe this isn't the case but I won't be using the strap any more on my rangefinders.

14 hours ago, bp02 said:

So my Bushnell Tour X just stopped working as well. I tried multiple new batteries with no luck. I bought this unit off craigslist about two years ago so I know Bushnell isn't going to do anything as I used to have a 1500 that wouldn't shoot over 150 yards anymore and they didn't replace the unit or give me a discount on a new one.

I disassembled the rangefinder and didn't find any loose wires. I tried the tin foil trick. No luck on anything.

So I went out to Craigslist again and purchased a new Bushnell Tour V4, really didn't want to support Bushnell anymore as I've already had 3 units in ten or so years just stop working. I take extremely good care of my units and I try to never expose the lenses to direct sunlight. So I rush to buy another one as I had a tournament I wasn't going to start walking off sprinklers for the first time in years.

Fast forward to today, I'm getting ready to toss the old unit on ebay for parts and decide to try it again with a new battery and wouldn't you know it, it works again!!! I think I found the problem and maybe I'll get some hate for this but it's the only thing I can think of.... I got a STICKIT Magnetic Strap for Christmas last December. I took this strap off to disassemble the unit and had the unit sitting on my desk for over a week without the strap on it. I never really thought twice about this but both sides of the magnets are extremely strong. I'm guessing now that the magnets messed with some of the electronics in the rangefinder and after having the strap off for a little while the unit was able to operate normally again.

Maybe this isn't the case but I won't be using the strap any more on my rangefinders.

Have had my Stick-it strap on my Tour X for years.  No issues.  The only issue I ever had was after a flight to a hot climate and the Tour X didn't work for a few holes.  Seemed to be moisture issue inside the unit.  Has worked flawlessly otherwise.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize