Dear Bushnell, Garmin and other Ranger Finder Makers...

I made this request about 2 years ago. With the advancement of GPS/Rangefinders, I thought I would make it again. I got ragged on the last time I made the post, but I personally think it is a great idea, and would most certainly use a device that incorporates it. With the introduction of the Z80 and other advancements, I do think that the time is right.

My request is that GPS/Rangefinders include a location sensor, slope sensor, temperature sensor, air pressure sensor, and a humidity sensor, and provide a calculated distance that takes into account a combination of:

Slope + Elevation + Air Pressure + Temperature + Humidity = Calculated distance.

With an option to turn on/off any of the parameters.

Now, before you start ragging on me... have you ever played golf in Las Vegas or by the ocean, or on a cold day? Even if YOU don't care, there are plenty of people who do.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I think the yardage is enough. I like the idea that the player has to put some thought into his shot and not have it handed to him. I also don't like the Straka books that essentially read the green for the player.

You are totally missing the point, and I am thinking that you don't play competitive golf. This calculated distance would NOT be legal for tournament play. Also, it is ONE single number. Like slope, it gives you actual and adjusted.

Dear Golfnhack,

Bushnell, Garmin, and other rangefinder companies are not going to read your thread. Hopefully you are also contacting them directly.

And I've never heard any of the 1000+ players I've played with since I started playing again at the start of 2012, lament about their rangefinder missing those last three items.

And no I'm not a + cap who plays competitively, which I am guessing you are from your reply to Sean2, if not then yes I am just another hack who does play net comps like you.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

No. I think the yardage is enough. I like the idea that the player has to put some thought into his shot and not have it handed to him. I also don't like the Straka books that essentially read the green for the player.

You are totally missing the point, and I am thinking that you don't play competitive golf. This calculated distance would NOT be legal for tournament play. Also, it is ONE single number. Like slope, it gives you actual and adjusted.

You would be wrong in your thinking. I don't get using one feature for causal golf and one for tournament play. How is a golfer supposed to learn using those "crutches" in casual play?

I don't want an "adjusted" number. I want to figure that out for myself. To me, that is a part of the game. In my view golf isn't just about hitting a ball in the hole, but a compelling part is how you think your way around the course.

You have your opinion, I have mine. Nothing wrong with that.

I think it's too much. Part of the challenge of golf is using your developed skill to account for atmospheric conditions and other factors. I wouldn't want a device which translates all those factors into a single, solid number such that I only need to hit the shot I know will go that far. Competitive golf or not, I just don't see how I would enjoy playing a round with all that information and certainty.

I am willing to bet that these responses are from the same people that said:

"Range Finders should not be allowed. People should use sprinkler heads and inaccurate yardage signs"

"OK, range finders are OK, but slope! No Way! People should do their own calculations"

"OK, slope is OK, but GPS devices. No Way! It will slow the game down"

Yeah. Yeah. As with everything. NO ONE is telling you to use them. If you are so concerned with all those issues, why not just get yourself some hickory sticks and walking bag. Make sure to wear your wool trousers and tie too.

"Range Finders should not be allowed. People should use sprinkler heads and inaccurate yardage signs"

"OK, range finders are OK, but slope! No Way! People should do their own calculations"

Yeah. Yeah. As with everything. NO ONE is telling you to use them. If you are so concerned with all those issues, why not just get yourself some hickory sticks and walking bag. Make sure to wear your wool trousers and tie too.

Why the attitude? You are annoyed and get defensive because some people disagree with you? Really?

OP, you seem to have some serious emotional investment in this. You create a thread and folks are offering different opinions and you get dooshy on them. Nice work.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

Put a wind sock on top of it while you are at it.

You thought it was a good idea, shopped it around and no one like it, then you get pissed about it.

My guess is that you have had a saved ebay search for Rodney Dangerfields putter for what, about 20 years now?

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Really? You'd like to bet that is why I responded the way I did? If so then you'd lose that bet. I think all players should have the basic number - the actual distance - from the middle of the green. From there you should be using your own skill to determine what shot to hit. That's what I find fun about the game. If you use GPS or a rangefinder to determine that number it does not bother me at all and it saves time walking off distances or looking for markers.

Fantastic rhetorical skills there.

If a large cross section of WRX users are all agreeing something is a bad idea - a place where quorums would vastly outnumber consensus - it's pretty likely it's a horrible idea.

I'm pretty sure everyone posting in this thread uses a measuring device of some kind.

For the record, still using it, one of my best non-club purchases...

Leupold GX-1. They are fairly plentiful on eBay in the $150-$200 range, so definitely doable :)

I had mine stolen and now have a GX-3i.

Rangefinders is another big 'personal preference' purchase, but I would highly recommend a Leupold based on my ownership experience the past few years.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

So first off... apologies for the way I reacted. Yes... it is difficult for me to take criticism, and something I will work on.

I will say though that I really do think that a range finder with this capability would be an extremely useful aid in learning how far you hit the ball under certain climate/atmospheric conditions. As someone that plays state events and travels to play golf in multiple locations, I would personally love to know this information. I have never played Pebble Beach, but if I am going to go an play it for $500, I would like to know how far my 7 iron would fly in the coastal conditions there. It's not like I can play it multiple times and "learn"my distances. The same goes for many courses I play. It is generally a one and done deal. I realize this desire is not for everyone. That is why I say.... for ME, I would love something like this.

So assuming parts cost 1/2 of retail, ie. $15, cost should not be a factor. All the parts listed below are for Audrino, so theoretically one can already build a device and create an app to display adjusted yardages, provided you can find a range finder with built in WiFi direct or bluetooth comms to send the distance to the app.

I may just give it a shot. I would just need to figure out the actual math for calculating the adjusted distances

Barometric & Altitude sensor - $10 retail

https://www.adafruit...SBoCzTgQAvD_BwE

Angle (slope) sensor - $10 retail

https://www.amazon.c...629242687&psc=1

Thermal & Humidity sensor - $10 retail

https://www.frys.com...JxoC56EQAvD_BwE

No real sense in adding an Anemometer, since wind speed is so variable.

https://moderndevice.com/product/wind-sensor-rev-p/

Bushnell, Garmin, and other rangefinder companies are not going to read your thread. Hopefully you are also contacting them directly.

Bushnell and Garmin definitely don't, but there's at least one rangefinder company that reads a LOT of your posts and threads.

Spoiler: It's us. :wave:

Fair play to you :)

F.T.

And the OP wonders why he got ragged on the first time he posted this!

It's comments like these that are both disappointing and pointless

Yes indeed, because this is so positive and on point:

You know we can read previous posts right?

If you get your knickers in a twist at the slightest criticism, like basically every reply since you're OP, you might want to sit on the idea for a couple more years.

Maybe by then you can add back up sensors and self-parking.

F.T.

Have you objectively read your comments in this thread? Not picking on you but evidently you expressed concern about certain laser features and things didn’t go your way. Then you reopen the issue and when people give their comments you go into offensive mode.

I get what youre saying, but that wont work. Like, what if players in Vegas hit a 7i 200 and an PW 170. Well, with the rangefinder doing that, lets say it reads 200 and adjusted to 170 for all of that. Golfers are going to hit the 170 club because thats the adjusted distance and be short, because the shot was actually 200. You see what im saying? The golfers distances already adjust for air temp, elevation, etc. The only reason why slope is involved in rangefinders is because golfers distances dont already adjust for it.

I honestly thought this was just a troll topic. Your topic was one that you knew was certain to draw a lot of comments both positive and negative.

Do not post topics like this and only expect people to fall all over themselves telling you what a great idea it was. Thats not how forums work.

Please get back on topic - whatever that means - for this thread.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I made this request about 2 years ago. With the advancement of GPS/Rangefinders, I thought I would make it again. I got ragged on the last time I made the post, but I personally think it is a great idea, and would most certainly use a device that incorporates it. With the introduction of the Z80 and other advancements, I do think that the time is right.

My request is that GPS/Rangefinders include a location sensor, slope sensor, temperature sensor, air pressure sensor, and a humidity sensor, and provide a calculated distance that takes into account a combination of:

Slope + Elevation + Air Pressure + Temperature + Humidity = Calculated distance.

Now, before you start ragging on me... have you ever played golf in Las Vegas or by the ocean, or on a cold day? Even if YOU don't care, there are plenty of people who do.

I'd also like it to hit the shot for me. My swing can't be relied upon. ;)

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Put me in the camp that doesn't want it. I like being able to judge the weather conditions myself and guess the effect on the shot. I regularly go out on my home course on days that are so windy mini dunes are forming in sand traps and the folks in the pro shop look at me like I'm nuts. It's fun trying to judge and hit shots in that stuff.

Now if this wiz bang rangefinder would talk my foolish self into just going to the bar for a drink, then you might have something.

Slope and location are already available on a GPS/laser.

"Elevation + Air Pressure + Temperature + Humidity = Calculated distance.".... Sorry but those variables are mainly worthless. There are too many other variables that make a "canned formula" worthless for "calculated distance." Wind speed, wind direction, ball trajectory, spin, ball type, ball temperature, fairway cut, rough length, fairway moisture, green cut, green moisture, slope of the landing area and probably many more variables have more impact than the other values you mentioned.

It might sound like a cool gadget but it's garbage in and garbage out.

Straight truth right here. Ill just stay home and sign the card. :)

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

Straight truth right here. Ill just stay home and sign the card. :)

Yeah let's just sign each others card for a net 69 and I'll meet you in the 19th for a drink and to discuss our great rounds.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter