SuperSpeed Golf training system

I'm starting to get loner off the tee now. I'm not noticing any loss of accuracy overall.

Typically I have good days with the driver and bad days with the driver. If anything my bad days with the driver have reduced since beginning SSG.

Interestingly Steve Buzza (remember him from the Crossfield VLOGS?) did a study on driving with the specific intent of driving accurately vs. the specific intent of driving for a little more distance. The study group hit three types of drives: Normal (baseline), distance, and accuracy. Typically, when asked to hit it out there a little farther, most could. When asked to hit it more accurately, however, most couldn't. Instead they just hit it lower and shorter than their control drives.

What I selfishly took from that was 'swing with control, but for goodness sake, don't swing slow'.

I think the study was outlined on a Golf Science Lab podcast. My apologies to Steve Buzza for butchering his study.

IMHO striving to hit it long and straight is a worthy goal. For me, SSG is proving to be a key part of that puzzle.

Per Top Speed, you must twist as much as possible regardless of swing speed. In such case, you think you swing slow but actually you swing smoothly.

It’s really strange...my highest peak hasn’t changed. My first session I hit 136 but the other swings were mid 120’s. The big difference is the opposite side swings. I was at 100-105 first session. I’m in the upper 120’s now.

I’m using it probably 2 times a week for the last couple months and with green I’m 127-136 everytime.

My driver has went from a normal swing 115 to 118 but I can get it up to 123-124. I’ve gained clubhead speed using the superspeed but I’m not really increasing my speed during the sessions which is weird. Maybe increasing my non dominate side is what has done it for me?!

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

It's been strange for me, I've been using them for a few weeks (actually past few weeks haven't really used them as consistently) but I've been struggling a bit, I'm not hitting/striking the ball nearly as well, and I'm hitting a lot of slices (actually push fades/slices, and I'm used to hitting a very consistent straight pull), I'm sure it's just a few little tweaks in the swing while my swing is adjusting to different speeds, and I'm going to stick with it a while longer, and see what happens, because with reading this thread and posts on social media about SSG it seems like my case is the anomaly.

You are not the anomaly..I wager most people's swings get worse using superspeed over the long run. It's way too easy to make swing speed by pulling the shoulders open and early extending.

You should try it for yourself to see if it works or not.

Also, I wonder why pros use it. Especially, Kevin Na, the winner at the Greenbrier.

You are not the anomaly..I wager most people's swings get worse using superspeed over the long run. It's way too easy to make swing speed by pulling the shoulders open and early extending.

Also, I wonder why pros use it. Especially, Kevin Na, the winner at the Greenbrier.

True....but how many rabbit holes have folks gone down because some pro uses something? Pro's have trainers / coaches...they live golf...they're not in a basement or garage relying upon these for weekend golf. They may be getting paid to say they use them. They may actually use them but as only a small part of their overall regimen. They may use them for rhythm, not trying to swing as fast as possible.

My point is who knows....and I agree, try it out and see if it works, but keep in mind the pitfalls of focusing on speed when the majority of the scoring golf shots are about precision and accuracy, not so much distance.

True....but how many rabbit holes have folks gone down because some pro uses something? Pro's have trainers / coaches...they live golf...they're not in a basement or garage relying upon these for weekend golf. They may be getting paid to say they use them. They may actually use them but as only a small part of their overall regimen. They may use them for rhythm, not trying to swing as fast as possible.

My point is who knows....and I agree, try it out and see if it works, but keep in mind the pitfalls of focusing on speed when the majority of the scoring golf shots are about precision and accuracy, not so much distance.

You seem to think that people who use these are only focused on speed. Speed is one aspect of the game that a lot of people want to improve. Perhaps the rest of their games are solid? Or they are working on other things simultaneously. I myself ALWAYS work on speed because it is the quickest thing to lose if you don't maintain it. I also practice my 50 yard wedge, 75 yard wedge, and 100 yard wedge each time I go to the range. I don't practice chipping and putting much because currently those are my strengths. I practice hitting cuts so I can get rid of my tendency for hooks and pushes. I am getting faster and better all around. I am also actively trying to eliminate EE that plagues me.

Pro's using it just reinforces that it might be helpful. I personally didn't build my club because I saw a pro use it, I built mine to specifically exercise with int he winter, but now I use it just to get accurate measurements of improvement since I am able to hit the range up during the summer. I think a lot of people on here adopted it because rumor had it, it got results and rather quickly. I think for most it does.

I personally feel though you don't have to buy them at all to gain speed. If you already go to the range, just finish each session by wailing on some balls full speed with your driver. Practice swinging fast. It is the only way you learn how to A) Do it B) Control it. Shoot, I think this idea is even supported by Monte Scheinblum. I don't think he really likes the swinging at nothing with these sticks because their is potential for it to alter your swing in a bad way, but he does like the practice swinging fast by doing so at the range regularly.

If you ever feel like you need some extra speed in your game, or just want some, I am living proof that the above works. I have posted on here before but I have legitimately gone from 105-125 with my swing speed just by going to the range and wailing on golf balls. I also hit normal shots and go through a routine before I go a wailin, but I have been doing it and while I am still working kinks out of my swing to be more consistent, I gained a ton of speed. I can dial it back and still hit it longer than most and hit middle of the club (still goes left though LOL, working on it).

Swing hard in case you hit it!

It's been strange for me, I've been using them for a few weeks (actually past few weeks haven't really used them as consistently) but I've been struggling a bit, I'm not hitting/striking the ball nearly as well, and I'm hitting a lot of slices (actually push fades/slices, and I'm used to hitting a very consistent straight pull), I'm sure it's just a few little tweaks in the swing while my swing is adjusting to different speeds, and I'm going to stick with it a while longer, and see what happens, because with reading this thread and posts on social media about SSG it seems like my case is the anomaly.

I suggest if you are swinging in a bay, or your garage, to swing at something. Swing at a foam ball on a rubber tee for instance. This can help you still, and if you can hit that ball straight, with those sticks, you should in theory, see improved ball striking with the driver. Swinging all out makes your flaws in timing or flipping habits, or early extension etc, even worse and more noticeable. If you are slicing it, you have what I am guessing is timing issues. That comes with practice. I feel you are best served EXERCISING with the sticks as recommended, and then following it up with hitting range balls. You should be able to swing what feels your normal speed but see gains and still have your control. It is just teaching your muscles to fire faster, it won't teach technique for good ball striking when you are swinging all out. You would have to have perfect mechanics to do that, and also the practice with the timing to do that. When I go after one I often push slice or pull hook. When I get my timing right, I get a beautiful super high draw and I can do it confidently until I lose my timing mojo (stupid EE). It takes a lot of practice.

I have them. I used them for a while but it was too easy to create speed the wrong way.

Hell, I got blasted by Dliver by saying the same thing a while back and he absolutely refuted it by say he never hit the ball better then guess what not long after he chimes in that he quit because bad habits started creeping in..lol

If I had 8 hours a day to work on my game I don’t think it would bother my swing because I could calibrate my swing after the training . But realistically most Ams are like me and the only swings they may get on “training” days are those superspeed swings.

i have them but have just evolved into using the heavy stick as a warm up tool i keep in my bag. Feels to me like my swing fan does a better job of building strength without letting me lapse into bad habits.

Driver-Taylormade M3 10.5-1
3-5 Woods-Taylormade M3
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20degree
Irons 4-9- Taylormade P790
Wedges 46,52,60 Vokey SM-7
Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport 3
HCP 2.9

You seem to think that people who use these are only focused on speed. Speed is one aspect of the game that a lot of people want to improve. Perhaps the rest of their games are solid? Or they are working on other things simultaneously. I myself ALWAYS work on speed because it is the quickest thing to lose if you don't maintain it. I also practice my 50 yard wedge, 75 yard wedge, and 100 yard wedge each time I go to the range...

If I could like this post twice, I would.

Yeah, the fastest swings seldom look violent, they look slow, sound fast, look effortless. The less your swing looks like that, the more inefficient it is imo.

Swung repeatedly at 119 with the green to end the session today and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it to 120. Diminishing returns as I tried harder

Yeah, the fastest swings seldom look violent, they look slow, sound fast, look effortless. The less your swing looks like that, the more inefficient it is imo.

Swung repeatedly at 119 with the green to end the session today and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it to 120. Diminishing returns as I tried harder

I am a firm believer in swinging faster not harder. What I mean is, finding the proper muscles to energize at the proper times and keeping your swing sequence. You can give it 100% effort but still look effortless and be a lot faster if you are doing it right. In my experience, swinging "hard" often means early release. You might have actually swung faster, but your speed peaked well before the ball and you often had to do something to still hit the ball somewhat squarely making your swing not look effortless, but full of wasted motion. Just from what I have measured in my own swing, I can leave 5-10 mph on the table when I do this. Speed drops off really fast after you release it seems.

I got to hit some balls into the net tonight and was working on a couple things that had me hitting the ball really solid. I threw the SSR down to get some ball speed measurements and it also serves as a good intermediate target. I was seeing 133-135 with my 7 iron and my first swing with my 6 iron was so pure I quit after it. 144 bs with the 6 iron (using Chromesofts with 100’s of hits into a net on them). Using the pga average 6 iron smash factor of 1.38, that would put my 6 iron SS at 104.3, and that is up 2.8 mph from my February Trackman average. I haven’t done SSG since about the third week of June but I’m happy to be maintaining the speed I’ve gained.

I got to hit some balls into the net tonight and was working on a couple things that had me hitting the ball really solid. I threw the SSR down to get some ball speed measurements and it also serves as a good intermediate target. I was seeing 133-135 with my 7 iron and my first swing with my 6 iron was so pure I quit after it. 144 bs with the 6 iron (using Chromesofts with 100’s of hits into a net on them). Using the pga average 6 iron smash factor of 1.38, that would put my 6 iron SS at 104.3, and that is up 2.8 mph from my February Trackman average. I haven’t done SSG since about the third week of June but I’m happy to be maintaining the speed I’ve gained.

Wow! PGA Tour average for 6 iron is 92 mph swing speed.

That is quite the ball speed jump from 7 iron to 6 iron. You might need to rethink your gapping lol. Good problem to have!

That is quite the ball speed jump from 7 iron to 6 iron. You might need to rethink your gapping lol. Good problem to have!

I typically have 12-15yd gaps on the course but I haven’t had my lofts checked this year. Also, my home course has receptive and fast greens that slope back to front, so it’s rare I get to hit full swing shots into them depending on conditions.

I still need to practice things but I made a swing tweak that seems to have confirmed my "mental block" suspicions I mentioned earlier in this thread. For those that don't remember or are new, along with gaining speed using this SSG type method (and mostly just wailing on balls at the range for a while each time I go), I wanted a better way to measure speed potential. I found that the small weight on the end of these clubs allows the swing speed radar to quite accurately read your swing speed. There is no toe flipping through to throw off numbers. I have been able to achieve very high numbers (for me), with my weighted SSG type club. I could not however, achieve those with a ball in front of me. I figured it was mental block that occurs when a ball is in front of me vs no ball. Well I was right (for me anyways). My mental block comes from how off plane my swing gets when I swing 100%. I tend to get REALLY inside out and that makes for bad heal strikes, snap hooks, or blocks way right. In slow motion I noticed that I really have to EE to get the club to even hit the ball and I also drop the club way too inside. Both of these rob me of power and also make me hesitant to actually give it when hitting a ball. I made a swing tweak that has improved my downswing plane dramatically, lessened my EE, and my club looked to be much less inside out on slow motion video. I also swung in such a way that the SSR actually got the swing speed correct. I confirmed it with slow motion video.

Basically, I said all that to say, that if you are reaching some pretty good numbers with the red ssg club, and not seeing anything close to that with your actual driver, it could very well be something like what I have. It might just mean you have a flaw in your swing that prevents you from being able to make a good swing while going after it and that the speed you see with that red club is achievable. If you are able to come close to, match or exceed your red SSG club speed when swinging your actual driver at a ball, then you could very well have a very efficient swing with nothing preventing you from achieving everything your body can put out.

A couple examples of people that can do this (from video and from posts on here), Tyler Parsons, and Kevin Blenkhorn (long drive pro who has commented on here).

I still need to practice things but I made a swing tweak that seems to have confirmed my "mental block" suspicions I mentioned earlier in this thread. For those that don't remember or are new, along with gaining speed using this SSG type method (and mostly just wailing on balls at the range for a while each time I go), I wanted a better way to measure speed potential. I found that the small weight on the end of these clubs allows the swing speed radar to quite accurately read your swing speed. There is no toe flipping through to throw off numbers. I have been able to achieve very high numbers (for me), with my weighted SSG type club. I could not however, achieve those with a ball in front of me. I figured it was mental block that occurs when a ball is in front of me vs no ball. Well I was right (for me anyways). My mental block comes from how off plane my swing gets when I swing 100%. I tend to get REALLY inside out and that makes for bad heal strikes, snap hooks, or blocks way right. In slow motion I noticed that I really have to EE to get the club to even hit the ball and I also drop the club way too inside. Both of these rob me of power and also make me hesitant to actually give it when hitting a ball. I made a swing tweak that has improved my downswing plane dramatically, lessened my EE, and my club looked to be much less inside out on slow motion video. I also swung in such a way that the SSR actually got the swing speed correct. I confirmed it with slow motion video.

Basically, I said all that to say, that if you are reaching some pretty good numbers with the red ssg club, and not seeing anything close to that with your actual driver, it could very well be something like what I have. It might just mean you have a flaw in your swing that prevents you from being able to make a good swing while going after it and that the speed you see with that red club is achievable. If you are able to come close to, match or exceed your red SSG club speed when swinging your actual driver at a ball, then you could very well have a very efficient swing with nothing preventing you from achieving everything your body can put out.

A couple examples of people that can do this (from video and from posts on here), Tyler Parsons, and Kevin Blenkhorn (long drive pro who has commented on here).

Sounds like the question is "can you transition an all-out SSG weighted shaft....no visual of a club head...no ball strike....in a garage...to the course when it counts?".

Sounds like the question is "can you transition an all-out SSG weighted shaft....no visual of a club head...no ball strike....in a garage...to the course when it counts?".

Just so you know, I am very confrontational. With that, what is your issue? Very negative. This thread is to discuss these and has also been for people to chart their successes or failures so we can all learn from it. It is an exercise not all that different from just practicing swinging fast with driver at the range. It helps many people and yes it can have some draw backs. All you seem to do is knock what others are doing, and how they are doing it. Please go somewhere else.

Edit: Just to clear up your very wrong interpretation. I have been on a mission to find my own golf swing for quite some time. I don't have the money to go to a pro and I don't have the money to buy these sticks so I made my own. My golf swing issues have nothing to do whatsoever with my ssg stick. I merely noticed how difficult it is, if one wants to achieve such a thing, to match driver speed to ssg speed. It takes a flawless swing it seems to be able to swing and hit a ball with the same speed one can swing the heavy ssg club. Some have it, some don't. You can still play great golf, it just means you ain't doing long drive competitions any time soon, nor are you able to reach your body potential pure speed wise.

Taking it down a notch... you are missing the basic point of the three clubs in the Swing Training protocol. If all it took was swinging your driver like a nut at the range or in the garage - there would be no need for the clubs. The general idea - and this is in the documentation - is that by using the three separate weighted clubs - which are weighted that way by design - is to create better fast twitch muscle reactions that are conducive to a long term faster and easily repetitive golf swing. The idea that you are going to swing as fast as the red (heavy) swing out on the course is irrelevant. The idea is that over time and using the protocols - your OVERALL swing speed changes for the better (gets faster) without having to try or swing harder. The one major drawback being that you will hit a wall at some point where swing speed training maxes out and you must become more physically fit - flexible or a better ball striker to see improvement. That is all there is. Very simple. If you could get gains by swinging only a driver - there would be a ton of threads on it. You probably can't. Don't know - never tried. But swinging a fan and an orange whip for instance never gave me swing speed gains. YMMV.

Taking it down a notch... you are missing the basic point of the three clubs in the Swing Training protocol. If all it took was swinging your driver like a nut at the range or in the garage - there would be no need for the clubs. The general idea - and this is in the documentation - is that by using the three separate weighted clubs - which are weighted that way by design - is to create better fast twitch muscle reactions that are conducive to a long term faster and easily repetitive golf swing. The idea that you are going to swing as fast as the red (heavy) swing out on the course is irrelevant. The idea is that over time and using the protocols - your OVERALL swing speed changes for the better (gets faster) without having to try or swing harder. The one major drawback being that you will hit a wall at some point where swing speed training maxes out and you must become more physically fit - flexible or a better ball striker to see improvement. That is all there is. Very simple. If you could get gains by swinging only a driver - there would be a ton of threads on it. You probably can't. Don't know - never tried. But swinging a fan and an orange whip for instance never gave me swing speed gains. YMMV.

Yup, that's the basic science of overspeed training. It's more about the brain being convinced that it can perform a motor pattern faster than it currently does, isolated from any additional strength or flexibility.

It's partially a brain remapping exercise.

I am definitely not missing the basic point. I utilize my ssg type club differently, and I have proven my particular method works great for me. Going to the range and practicing swinging fast will certainly do a lot for you especially because you are hitting a ball while you are practicing swinging fast. It teaches your muscles to fire fast and you also naturally can uncover swing techniques that improve your speed over time. You have to be careful either way, for some, bad habits can definitely creep in but the speed benefits are undeniable.

Edit: Just to add, I am personally trying to reach a certain swing speed and reach it consistently and with great accuracy. Others have a different mission. I enjoy long drive and playing scrambles. The long ball is what I enjoy doing most in golf. But that is me and why I do "my program" with my driver and homemade ssg club.