9 holes of golf

Tanner25

I learned the game on a 9 hole muni, and have played several leagues over the years that are 9 holes after work. I probably should play more 9 hole rounds now, I'm not doing a league, I end up hitting range balls and chipping and putting far more than heading out for 9, partly as I feel I can get more done in an hour to an hour 1/2, but there is something to be said about even practicing on the course vs on the range, bringing in variability to your lie, distances, etc.....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Play 9 holes frequently, especially earlier in the season and later in the season depending on daylight hours. When my wife and I play, it's often just 9. Played 18 yesterday, went home, grilled, sat around and went to a course a little closer that I'm not a "member" of and paid their modest 9 hole rate for a quick 9 before dark, had 9 holes to myself, nice.

I DO think the price should be half but I completely understand from a business stand point. I run a small business. It's a fine line of getting more people on the course but also making it profitable. There is a great video from "No laying up" on YouTube about a course in winter Park, FL. Everyone should watch it, I think it is smart from a course's perspective and a golfer's perspective. I think it should be the next move for golf to grow amongst the average American.

Found it and watched it, good video and a it looks like a good little course tucked away in a city.

There is an 18-hole exec. course near me that is becoming a favorite. Par 3s with two 4s on the front and back for total par 58. Slow greens but decent bunkering, elevation and trees/hazards to make accuracy a factor. Its a really fun little course and I just have fun playing it. However, I recently had someone tell me that "its not real golf and your not a real golfer" if you play that kind of course a lot. Apparently anything short of smashing drivers and 3-woods on 600 yard holes isnt real golf.

FWIW, I learned the game of golf (early 60's) on a 9 hole muni. Golf was a 9 hole game in this world. On days where you played 18, you would most probably say "I played two rounds".

When I got out of college and moved away from home, golf was an 18 hole game. I would talk to my Dad about my golf and say "I shot a 79 today", to which he would probably respond "but what were your scores". Golf was a 9 hole game to him until he passed away.

dave

We have an awesome deal here with Great Life so I don't mind playing 9 now especially after work. Membership to Great Life is $60 for my wife and I and that's for gym, unlimited golf, and bowling. Our employers pay the fitness portion so we pay $20 a month for golf and bowling.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

I DO think the price should be half but I completely understand from a business stand point. I run a small business. It's a fine line of getting more people on the course but also making it profitable. There is a great video from "No laying up" on YouTube about a course in winter Park, FL. Everyone should watch it, I think it is smart from a course's perspective and a golfer's perspective. I think it should be the next move for golf to grow amongst the average American.

Found it and watched it, good video and a it looks like a good little course tucked away in a city.

There is an 18-hole exec. course near me that is becoming a favorite. Par 3s with two 4s on the front and back for total par 58. Slow greens but decent bunkering, elevation and trees/hazards to make accuracy a factor. Its a really fun little course and I just have fun playing it. However, I recently had someone tell me that "its not real golf and your not a real golfer" if you play that kind of course a lot. Apparently anything short of smashing drivers and 3-woods on 600 yard holes isnt real golf.

Distance has became the "cool" thing, I like accuracy driven courses, they just have a fun factor to them.

What annoys me about playing 9 at some courses near me is they dont have a 9 hole price, just a twilight price, which if you get there at 4pm or 6pm its the same. Only thing is you can finish 18 holes at 4pm in the summer.

It may exist, but I've never heard of any course that has a 9-hole rate on the twilight rate.

C'mon man, twilight rates are already discounted, you don't get to double dip.

Not really. It would be like bowling 5 frames.

Wow, it takes you 4 hours to bowl 10 frames?

It takes you 4 hours to play 9 holes?!?

I don't mind playing 9 in after-work company leagues on weeknights, but 9 holes is generally a tease.

Ditto for me.

I'm just programmed for 18 I guess, but I do enjoy 9 holes during the work week, especially in a league format.

Depending on my front 9, I need to play the back just to remain optimistic about golf!

The way my home course is laid out is perfect for my after work rounds. I get back from work around 515 and to the course around 530. I can generally hop on the front or back and play nine, and then have about an hour of light where I can play 1-4 and then 9’s tee box is beside 4’s green. I hop on over it plays directly into the clubhouse.

Time wise, it’s perfect, and I get to play 14 holes, so I’m not burnt out, but I’m not left feeling like I didn’t get to play enough

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

The only time I play nine is when my back gets grumpy and I quit at the turn.

TBH I could see going out and playing the front or back in order to work on some aspect of my game, even though I probably would rather have a nice range for that.

As someone said earlier, it's like bowling 5 frames, which I wouldn't like either.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

What annoys me about playing 9 at some courses near me is they dont have a 9 hole price, just a twilight price, which if you get there at 4pm or 6pm its the same. Only thing is you can finish 18 holes at 4pm in the summer.

It may exist, but I've never heard of any course that has a 9-hole rate on the twilight rate.

C'mon man, twilight rates are already discounted, you don't get to double dip.

Not trying to double dip, I have seen courses with a twilight 18 hole rate and 9 hole rate that unchanged for the whole day. Usually that 9 hole rate is cheaper than any 18 hole rate, be it afternoon or twilight.

I walk nine pretty regular, or did before we had more kids. Like others have said, nine leaves you wanting more and not feeling completely exhausted, physically or mentally. I mentally check out after 12 or 14, especially if my game is crap that day.

I think the game would be approached significantly different if a full round was 12 instead of 18. Pro tournaments would likely be tow 12 hole rounds per day. It would be rare even on a super backed up muni to have a 4.5 hour round with just 12 holes.

If I ever hit the lottery and build my dream golf course (Gil Hanse, C&C and Rob Collins should expect a call) I will make sure that instead of having returning or looping nines I have three loops of 6. You can have a 6, a 12 and an 18 hole rate. I think it would encourage walking as well.

I walk nine pretty regular, or did before we had more kids. Like others have said, nine leaves you wanting more and not feeling completely exhausted, physically or mentally. I mentally check out after 12 or 14, especially if my game is crap that day.

I think the game would be approached significantly different if a full round was 12 instead of 18. Pro tournaments would likely be tow 12 hole rounds per day. It would be rare even on a super backed up muni to have a 4.5 hour round with just 12 holes.

If I ever hit the lottery and build my dream golf course (Gil Hanse, C&C and Rob Collins should expect a call) I will make sure that instead of having returning or looping nines I have three loops of 6. You can have a 6, a 12 and an 18 hole rate. I think it would encourage walking as well.

One of the courses that I played as a kid (back in the 1960's) was a 9 holer and it had three 3 hole loops, each one finishing at the clubhouse. My Dad referred to it as the 'best golf course in the world for a golfer with an 80 year old prostate".

dave

ps. Lead Belt Golf Club in Bonne Terre, Mo, FWIW.

I think my favorite golf is 9 holes, walking, by myself, carrying my 7 club bag. Bonus if it’s cloudy, cool, and breezy. That is my heaven.

18 hole rounds are great too, I prefer those with friends or family for company usually.

I would never want to just play 9 on a new course, but I do it on a couple local courses that I know very well. I started doing this instead of hitting the driving range. It’s only a little more expensive and I find it better practice as I run into way more situations other than a perfectly flat teeing ground. Sometimes I’ll play one ball and keep score. Sometimes I go out purposefully to work on something planning to play multiple balls at times. And often....I start by keeping score and when that goes downhill make it a multi ball practice session, haha!

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

Yeah, access to the first tee need not be determined by how many holes one plays. One hole or 18 holes, your time on the first tee was equal. That said, I do like 9 holes these days. A lot. Our course sends 9 hole leagues off the front and the back in the evenings and it's great. Of course there is a cut off time where one can't play 18 for the day, and at that time the rates do go down to reflect how many holes are available to play.