Why Can't I Escape Project X Shafts?

CaseyDan

The Background

I've played this wonderful game for about 4 years. About 2 years ago I started playing 2-3 times a month and now I play about 3-4 times a month. I love the game and the equipment. My handicap just went under 10 to a 9.9 so I am improving and I take about 6 lessons a year.

Over the last 5 years I have been fitted by 3 different companies - Titleist Fitting Center Dallas Golf (2X). At all 3 fitting the Project X 5.5 or 6.0 was one of the top recommendations and two of those times that is the iron I chose. I played good with the Project X 5.5 and had good numbers so no complaints. Just to be clear, I like the standard PX 5.5 - not so much the LZ

The Situtation

Over the last six months I have had the Dynamic Gold bug. I don't know why.

I've tried the following DG's:

• o
  • DG S300 - Not wow enough and a little heavy.
  • DG 105 S300 - Hated
  • DG TI 120 S400 - Gamed these for a while but something never felt right about them.

Currently: I have DG X100 soft stepped 1x in my irons. They are the best feeling shaft I've played hands down. The dispersion is incredible. After 2 rounds, of great scores, I realized that the 4-6 irons were just to heavy so I picked up a set of DG Tour White AMT Shafts in X100 that I have plans to soft step 1x. I tested the DG AMT Tour White straight in at the golf shop and I liked it. All good right?......

Then I stop by our local shop and see the Mizuno Swing optimizer and think "Hey, I have never tried that." I wasn't 100% warmed up but nonetheless here are the results.

What do you know, there is good ol' Project X starring me in the face again. I was glad to see the DG Tour White AMT shafts in the recommendations since I just received a set of them.

The Questions

1) What characteristics in the golf swing is it that Project X gets recommended?

2) How did you finally narrow down your selection of shaft to use? Shaft up two similar clubs and head to the course/range or use a simulator/trackman?

3) Am I being stubborn? I have never had a fitting where someone recommend a Dynamic Gold Project. Am I just a Project X guy and I need to just let it be?

I know this was a bit of a ramble so any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize for making a snap (and probably not fully informed or developed) response, but your message suggests to me that you are looking for the "ultimate shaft" that's going to somehow transform your game.

To recap:

• I had Project X and loved them, so I bought different shafts.
  • I have DG X100 soft stepped 1x in my irons, which are the best feeling shaft I've played hands down and the dispersion is incredible. But after ONLY 2 rounds (of great scores, no less), I changed them.

Huh? What am I missing here? You're playing well and love your shafts, so why is the search continuing? Go enjoy them. Practice, learn, play.

Again, I'm not trying to be a dick, but at some point you have to get off the search for the perfect club treadmill.

P.S. If you decide that I am just a big dick and you're going to ignore my advice and continue your search, please come to my shop. I could use the income.

It almost sounds like you're making this more complicated than it's worth. If you know the Project X works well, which is a design long accepted by some of the best in world, why try to get away from it?

There is no other shaft design with the same bend profile and weight as Project X. So again, if you've confirmed that it performs better than anything else, then there is no good reason to change.

A steel shaft is just a metal tube with a specific bend profile and weight. Doesn't matter how long ago it was designed, which is why so many of the best continue to use Project X and Dynamic Gold, even though they can get any newer shaft they want.

I apologize for making a snap (and probably not fully informed or developed) response, but your message suggests to me that you are looking for the "ultimate shaft" that's going to somehow transform your game.

To recap:

• I have DG X100 soft stepped 1x in my irons, which are the best feeling shaft I've played hands down and the dispersion is incredible. But after ONLY 2 rounds (of great scores, no less), I changed them.

Huh? What am I missing here? You're playing well and love your shafts, so why is the search continuing? Go enjoy them. Practice, learn, play.

Again, I'm not trying to be a dick, but at some point you have to get off the search for the perfect club treadmill.

P.S. If you decide that I am just a big dick and you're going to ignore my advice and continue your search, please come to my shop. I could use the income.

This is pretty much what I needed to hear. Seriously. Thank you.

To recap:

I hope that this did, in fact, help and was not offensive. Regardless, I did want to say that you are obviously a very good athlete, with good hand-eye coordination. A 9.9 handicap after only a couple of years of play (and not even a tremendous amount of play) is really impressive. There are countless people, including myself, who have played for MUCH longer and play about this same game. Good on ya!

To recap:

I hope that this did, in fact, help and was not offensive. Regardless, I did want to say that you are obviously a very good athlete, with good hand-eye coordination. A 9.9 handicap after only a couple of years of play (and not even a tremendous amount of play) is really impressive. There are countless people, including myself, who have played for MUCH longer and play about this same game. Good on ya!

Not offended at all. I’ve played sports my entire life so I’m sure that helps. However, I believe the biggest thing that has helped me improved is that I’ve practiced more since March than I did the past 4 years. Ironically that is when I fully committed to my raw Callaway MB’s.

Their beauty makes me Want to practice.....

If they work well for you, why change?

The more I talk this out with this fine group the more I’m realizing that I just need confirmation I’m playing the right shaft for me. The fitters and mizzy optimizer day Project X and don’t really mention DG. I like the DG feel and dispersion but I do “think” I lose a little distance.

Sounds like I need to test the two shafts below in the same head and crown a winner.

Project X 5.5 vs DG AMT X100

If your going to buy shafts... DG AMT X100's all day. I am same specs as you for shafts looking at your bag. AMT's have much better feel, to me, and you generally can get an easier flight on the ball with the long irons. I am playing other shafts that I like currently, but, could most definitely play the DG AMT X100's.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

I played Project X 5.0 for three seasons in my X20 Tours. I soon began struggling with PX except on days I was really swinging well, so I reshafted with NS Pro 8950GH R.flex. (PX = 115 grams and stiff tip, NS Pro = 97 grams and medium tip). Also, NS Pro was more than half a flex lighter than the PX.

The R.flex vs. S. flex is difficult to compare using shaft tags.You can compare different shaft makers/models by looking at by using the Frequency Coefficient Matching (FCM) ratings. FCM was developed circa 2005 by Royal Precision's team led by Kim Braley. (Braley is now chief engineer for KBS shafts).

GolfWRX stalwart Smoky25 posted this seminal FCM chart in 2011. Not sure if it has been updated.

Here's link to original FCM forum: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/496072-new-and-improved-shaft-chart/

post-108063-0-71738100-1311024637_thumb.jpg

FCM is related to Cycles Per Minute testing on deflection boards. A shaft that oscillates at 265 CPM would be designated as having an FCM of 6.5 (see PX 6.0 above on chart). This FCM chart allows Flex comparison of shafts across different manufacturers.

Also, modern shaft bend profiles give much more info than mere flex. (IE, the Mizuno shaft optimizer that you have used.)

Compared to a rough (very rough...) industry average for flexes, standard PX 5.5 shaft is not really Firm, it is Stiff compared to other shafts. On the other hand, the standard TT Dynamic Gold R300 or S300 plays about a third a flex lighter than industry average, and is heavier than PX.

As others have said, congrats on becoming a 9 HDCP after only a couple of years.

I have a caution, however: The ideal shaft for you doesn't exist. You likely will find, however, that there are two or three shafts that you seem to hit quite well. The key: use the launch monitor numbers to get down to finalists, and then pick the one that feels best, that gives you the most confidence when you stand over the ball.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I played Project X 5.0 for three seasons in my X20 Tours. I soon began struggling with PX except on days I was really swinging well, so I reshafted with NS Pro 8950GH R.flex. (PX = 115 grams and stiff tip, NS Pro = 97 grams and medium tip). Also, NS Pro was more than half a flex lighter than the PX.

The R.flex vs. S. flex is difficult to compare using shaft tags.You can compare different shaft makers/models by looking at by using the Frequency Coefficient Matching (FCM) ratings. FCM was developed circa 2005 by Royal Precision's team led by Kim Braley. (Braley is now chief engineer for KBS shafts).

GolfWRX stalwart Smoky25 posted this seminal FCM chart in 2011. Not sure if it has been updated.

Here's link to original FCM forum: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/496072-new-and-improved-shaft-chart/

post-108063-0-71738100-1311024637_thumb.jpg

FCM is related to Cycles Per Minute testing on deflection boards. A shaft that oscillates at 265 CPM would be designated as having an FCM of 6.5 (see PX 6.0 above on chart). This FCM chart allows Flex comparison of shafts across different manufacturers.

Also, modern shaft bend profiles give much more info than mere flex. (IE, the Mizuno shaft optimizer that you have used.)

Compared to a rough (very rough...) industry average for flexes, standard PX 5.5 shaft is not really Firm, it is Stiff compared to other shafts. On the other hand, the standard TT Dynamic Gold R300 or S300 plays about a third a flex lighter than industry average, and is heavier than PX.

As others have said, congrats on becoming a 9 HDCP after only a couple of years.

I have a caution, however: The ideal shaft for you doesn't exist. You likely will find, however, that there are two or three shafts that you seem to hit quite well. The key: use the launch monitor numbers to get down to finalists, and then pick the one that feels best, that gives you the most confidence when you stand over the ball.

That last paragraph really stood out to me. Never really considered this angle but certainly makes sense and when I do the comparison will help put my mind at ease.

I’ve also realized, while posting the original post, that all shafts have their pros and cons.

Here’s my cons for each

PX 5.5 - can really start pulling shots left if I really go after it

PX 6.0 - wears me out towards the end of the round. Especially in the Texas heat

X100 - long irons to heavy, low flight

X100 AMT - TBD, the concept really makes sense to me

Modus & KBS - never like the feel.

Question for the DG AMT users, did any of you soft step them and if so did it make a difference? I’m leaning in that direction.

(And yes, I’ve read every thread that includes the words AMT and soft step on this site, just seeing if there are any current thoughts.)

Here's my cons for each

PX 6.0 - wears me out towards the end of the round. Especially in the Texas heat

X100 - long irons to heavy, low flight ...

Question for the DG AMT users, did any of you soft step them and if so did it make a difference? I'm leaning in that direction.

(And yes, I've read every thread that includes the words AMT and soft step on this site, just seeing if there are any current thoughts.)

On Texas Heat, Jack Nicklaus has noted that he played D6 swingweight clubs during college. He found, however, this weight really tired him out during multi-round days in major amateur tournaments. He went with lighter swingweights once on the pro tour.

Softstep irons... a GolfWorks instructor once ran his own custom club shop back in the 1980s. For all the male players, he would softstep the 2i and 3i shafts, even if they didn't ask for it. The softstep gives a little edge on launching the longer irons.

This idea expanded in the early 2000s when shaft makers started offering flighted shafts. Reality: in flighting, the longer irons are softstepped, middle irons normal, and short irons hardstepped (to prevent ballooning).

A veteran Callaway rep touched on this area at the spring golf expo. I was looking at the Rogue Pro irons, and struggled a bit with the 4i and 5i. He said a full fitting might take me one of two ways: softstep the Rogue Pro 4i and 5i, or, use the standard Rogue 4i and 5i with same flex shaft as Rogue Pros.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

The Background

I've played this wonderful game for about 4 years. About 2 years ago I started playing 2-3 times a month and now I play about 3-4 times a month. I love the game and the equipment. My handicap just went under 10 to a 9.9 so I am improving and I take about 6 lessons a year.

Over the last 5 years I have been fitted by 3 different companies - Titleist Fitting Center Dallas Golf (2X). At all 3 fitting the Project X 5.5 or 6.0 was one of the top recommendations and two of those times that is the iron I chose. I played good with the Project X 5.5 and had good numbers so no complaints. Just to be clear, I like the standard PX 5.5 - not so much the LZ

The Situtation

Over the last six months I have had the Dynamic Gold bug. I don't know why.

I've tried the following DG's:

• o
  • DG S300 - Not wow enough and a little heavy.
  • DG 105 S300 - Hated
  • DG TI 120 S400 - Gamed these for a while but something never felt right about them.

Currently: I have DG X100 soft stepped 1x in my irons. They are the best feeling shaft I've played hands down. The dispersion is incredible. After 2 rounds, of great scores, I realized that the 4-6 irons were just to heavy so I picked up a set of DG Tour White AMT Shafts in X100 that I have plans to soft step 1x. I tested the DG AMT Tour White straight in at the golf shop and I liked it. All good right?......

Then I stop by our local shop and see the Mizuno Swing optimizer and think "Hey, I have never tried that." I wasn't 100% warmed up but nonetheless here are the results.

What do you know, there is good ol' Project X starring me in the face again. I was glad to see the DG Tour White AMT shafts in the recommendations since I just received a set of them.

The Questions

1) What characteristics in the golf swing is it that Project X gets recommended?

2) How did you finally narrow down your selection of shaft to use? Shaft up two similar clubs and head to the course/range or use a simulator/trackman?

3) Am I being stubborn? I have never had a fitting where someone recommend a Dynamic Gold Project. Am I just a Project X guy and I need to just let it be?

I know this was a bit of a ramble so any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Just curious, why did you “hate” DG105?

^ To be honest, i think they were just to light for what I prefer. I also played them in a set of P790’s and I’ve never liked the way a hollow iron head felt. I tried the DG 105 in a sold forged head at local golf store and it felt better, still lighter than I like though.

As an overall update, I played again today with standard X100 soft stepped 1x and shot an 85 which is a little more than I average. However, my body feel beat which to me confirmed the standard x100 weight is just to much for me. Like I mentioned in my original post, I have a set of the DG AMT x100 pulls I could try, but I think I’m just going to go with the PX 5.5 and call it a day.

Casey...you and I need to get a round in here pretty soon.

I've already been down the iron shaft rathole you're going down. That is, until a Top 100 fitter told me the following:

If you find yourself searching around within a group of shafts, with somewhat similar profiles, you're wasting your time. It takes 1-3 months to get fully adjusted to the new shafts. So, if you change prior to the adjustment period ends, you've wasted the time you could have been getting better with one shaft.

Think of it like an opportunity cost. How much better could you have been if you didn't swap out those Project X, and used the time you used with shaft XYZ honing in those Project X.

TLDR...if it ain't broke.

Casey...you and I need to get a round in here pretty soon.

I've already been down the iron shaft rathole you're going down. That is, until a Top 100 fitter told me the following:

If you find yourself searching around within a group of shafts, with somewhat similar profiles, you're wasting your time. It takes 1-3 months to get fully adjusted to the new shafts. So, if you change prior to the adjustment period ends, you've wasted the time you could have been getting better with one shaft.

Think of it like an opportunity cost. How much better could you have been if you didn't swap out those Project X, and used the time you used with shaft XYZ honing in those Project X.

TLDR...if it ain't broke.

Totally agree in all regards. I did the same thing with iron heads and now with shafts. Looking back, I am glad I tried so many different iron heads because I am completely content with them. I have a feeling I’ll be saying the same about the shafts.

Sometimes you don’t realized it ain’t broken until you try to fix it......

If your going to buy shafts... DG AMT X100's all day. I am same specs as you for shafts looking at your bag. AMT's have much better feel, to me, and you generally can get an easier flight on the ball with the long irons. I am playing other shafts that I like currently, but, could most definitely play the DG AMT X100's.

I'll offer a contrary opinion. I've tread the exact same path as the OP. Loved the feel of DG, but never got the same performance. I'm back into PX, and don't understand why I ever left.

Titleist TSR3 9* - KBS TD 60 CAT3 | Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red (S) | Taylormade Sim2 Max 5w(18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x | Srixon Z785 4-PW - KBS Tour FLT (S) | Vokey SM8 50.08F(51*), 56.12D, SM9 64.04W - DG Tour Issue S400 | Bettinardi SS28 Slotback

I've also realized, while posting the original post, that all shafts have their pros and cons.

Here's my cons for each

Hard stepping 5.5's might hit your sweet spot, assuming you liked the flight of the 6.0's. They would play almost as firm as the 6.0's, but still have the weight of the 5.5's.

Titleist TSR3 9* - KBS TD 60 CAT3 | Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red (S) | Taylormade Sim2 Max 5w(18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x | Srixon Z785 4-PW - KBS Tour FLT (S) | Vokey SM8 50.08F(51*), 56.12D, SM9 64.04W - DG Tour Issue S400 | Bettinardi SS28 Slotback