Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got 9 in at TPC before getting drenched this afternoon....& after avoiding the bunkers entirely the first time I played it, i wasn’t so lucky today. Let me just say those things are NO JOKE.

This is “Hell Bunker†on the 700+ yard par 5.

are they doing public tee times out there yet? I'm trying to go out and play August 5 with a foursome. I'm sure I can just call up but figured I'd start here.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Got 9 in at TPC before getting drenched this afternoon....& after avoiding the bunkers entirely the first time I played it, i wasn’t so lucky today. Let me just say those things are NO JOKE.

This is “Hell Bunker†on the 700+ yard par 5.

are they doing public tee times out there yet? I'm trying to go out and play August 5 with a foursome. I'm sure I can just call up but figured I'd start here.

Not yet....not sure when exactly their public opening date will be in August. I don’t think it’ll be open on the 5th though; that’s the final day of the NoCo Invitational, which I’m pretty sure is being held there.

West Woods is a very nice club. The course is in mainly okay shape; however, you should always follow the member because they know how to get to the next hole (the signage is terrible). I was playing okay on the first 9 (there are 27 holes) with a 39 and a few missed birdie opportunities, then we had to stop on the 11th hole due to thunderstorms. After we went back out, the wheels came off and I limped in with a 44.

FRGC's event next weekend is a Ryder Cup-style tournament which covers all 27 holes at Fox Hollow. Two teams of 16 players; and I found out yesterday that I was made captain of one of the teams.

One thing I've already realized is that I'm not used to playing so much golf. I've played 10 times since July 3. I typically play 10-14 times per year. My wrists and shoulders are bleepin' sore. Fortunately, I have to skip the Thursday night beer league to draft my Ryder Cup team. Family Sports on Friday, Fox Hollow on Sunday, then my family comes back home--and everything will be normal again.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

So why a Spring's course? Is not going to Denver now?

He said he's military and is coming in for military-related work, so the AFA Blue course is an obvious choice. For the rest, I think Go_Time needs to tell us where he is staying, if he's going to have a rental car, and course criteria (I think it's always important to ask whether he wants uniquely Colorado courses or simply good golf).

Not sure where I'm staying or if I'll have a rental. But let's assume central Denver and that I will have a rental car. I will probably play Eisenhower because I have a buddy who works down that way. Beyond that, I haven't really given it much thought. I suppose I would want to play or experience something that I wouldn't be able to experience on the east coast, if that makes sense. Cost isn't much of a consideration. For private courses, most would be a long shot but I've gotten on cold-calling places in the past when traveling.

If possible, I would consider playing both AFA course as they are (IMO) completely different course. The Silver being much shorter and tighter. Both are very fun tracks.

If you have any Club Corp affiliation, you could try getting on Perry Park. It's another great track and definitely nothing you'll see on the east coast.

Just a couple of thoughts...

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I suppose I would want to play or experience something that I wouldn't be able to experience on the east coast, if that makes sense.

Some may disagree with me, but then Arrowhead should be at the top of your list (after AFA Blue). It's not a great course by any means, but the views and the surroundings are very unique. If you cannot get on Arrowhead for some odd reason, then Fossil Trace will do.

If you want a full panoramic view of the whole Denver front range (including Pikes Peak); and, again, others might disagree with me, but Red Hawk Ridge in Castle Rock has some of the best views in town. Otherwise, The Ridge at Castle Pines North is a very fine course. I don't play up north very often, so I'll let others chime in; although, for an overall excellent golfing experience, I would recommend Murphy Creek and Riverdale Dunes.

I suppose I would want to play or experience something that I wouldn't be able to experience on the east coast, if that makes sense.

Some may disagree with me, but then Arrowhead should be at the top of your list (after AFA Blue). It's not a great course by any means, but the views and the surroundings are very unique. If you cannot get on Arrowhead for some odd reason, then Fossil Trace will do.

If you want a full panoramic view of the whole Denver front range (including Pikes Peak); and, again, others might disagree with me, but Red Hawk Ridge in Castle Rock has some of the best views in town. Otherwise, The Ridge at Castle Pines North is a very fine course. I don't play up north very often, so I'll let others chime in; although, for an overall excellent golfing experience, I would recommend Murphy Creek and Riverdale Dunes.

Yes Arrowhead is not my favorite track by any means, but it is unique for sure and not a "bad" course. I do like Fossil Trace better. I think that my favorite track in the area that I have played is Bear Dance. I'm a big fan of elevation change and several holes there have that.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Yes Arrowhead is not my favorite track by any means, but it is unique for sure and not a "bad" course. I do like Fossil Trace better. I think that my favorite track in the area that I have played is Bear Dance. I'm a big fan of elevation change and several holes there have that.

I've only played Bear Dance once, but I really enjoyed it. Only played Arrowhead once as well, and it's a fun course, but not worthy of a $100+ price tag.

Still think The Ridge is my favorite course within an hour of Denver. Both 9's are totally different feeling. Lots of elevation change.

I wouldn't recommend Arrowhead to anyone given the prices they ask for and how many nice courses we have. None of the holes are especially memorable or interesting and you're already going to be playing a RTJ course at AFA. Especially since you will be down in the springs, drive though Garden of the Gods after playing the Air Force courses and you'll have seen much better scenery than what you get at Arrowhead. If you're going to spend Arrowhead money, any of Bear Dance, The Ridge, Red Hawk Ridge and Fossil Trace are all much better than Arrowhead.

For some reason, and I like Jim Engh courses, I don't like Fossil Trace.

It really is mini golf on a regular course, but it's unique. For out of town guests looking for something different, it fits plus it's only 20 minutes from downtown. There are at least a few ridiculous pin positions on some of the greens and due to the land it is built on some holes are forced and come off awkward. It's a once or twice a year course for me in the early spring and late fall when you can walk it for $30 or less.

I am surprised they continue to fill their tee sheet every morning at the premium rates they charge. I don't know anyone who plays it more than 2 or 3 times a year so there must be some subset of golfers that like tricked up courses.

Redlands Mesa and Lakota Canyon are both better designs by him than Fossil. I think it gets all of its hype from that one hole on the back.

Redlands is one of my favorites, Lakota is pretty good, but not worth more money than Redlands. Also liked Redhawk, Awarii Dunes was just so so, not worth driving past Wildhorse though.

Redlands Mesa and Lakota Canyon are both better designs by him than Fossil. I think it gets all of its hype from that one hole on the back.

Redlands is one of my favorites, Lakota is pretty good, but not worth more money than Redlands. Also liked Redhawk, Awarii Dunes was just so so, not worth driving past Wildhorse though.

100% agree about Lakota....I’ve only played it when I’ve got deals; not sure I’d pay regular rates there. And Redlands is probably one of my favorite public course in the state (along with bear dance & TPC), and it’s a good $20+ cheaper than the “best†courses on the front range.

My only complaint with those 2 courses is the back tees usually need mowed, but some of em damn near inaccessible with anything to mow with lol

I live on the 11th hole at Lakota and have played the course zero times this year, once last year and twice the year before. The layout is pretty fun but the conditioning is spotty, the price is ridiculous and the staff is with few exceptions unbelievably rude.

I have a 25 minute drive for Ironbridge or go 30 minutes to Battlement Mesa instead of spending any money at Lakota. Rifle Creek is pretty great, too.

Also in mountain/western slope golf news the owners of River Valley Ranch are starting to give ultimatums to the home owners that if they don’t start including golf as part of their dues they may need to close. Again - nice course with a decent layout and good conditioning but for $115 rack rates you can do a lot better.

And finally - playing in the roaring fork club member/guest this week (starts Thursday) and I’m quite looking forward to it. The Lake Christine Fire is making the air quality suck but the golf must go on.

I live on the 11th hole at Lakota and have played the course zero times this year, once last year and twice the year before. The layout is pretty fun but the conditioning is spotty, the price is ridiculous and the staff is with few exceptions unbelievably rude.

Yeah, I played there about a month or so ago and it was definitely still a bit rough...if you’re the House right of the fairway, pretty sure I’ve donated a couple balls to your back yard haha

So after much work on my swing, specifically my takeaway, over the last few weeks, I think I'm finally at a point where I trust my swing and can swing freely, especially with my driver. Yay! This game is much easier when you can get off the tee well.

According to Arccos, here are the last few handicaps I've had in the driving category: +4.4, 6.1, +3.7, 7.9, and +4.6. Played Murphy Creek on Sunday and hit 13/14 fairways. Fun!

My chipping, unfortunately, has not been so good. I'm just chipping like a complete moron. So I've been looking into getting Monte's Use the Bounce 2.0...anyone here try it? Any other suggestions?

Normally I'd go get a lesson with Geoff regarding the chipping, but I feel like I've got so many other things to work on with him that if I can find another way to get better at chipping, I'd rather save those lessons for some other areas of my game. My goal for this year is to get down into single digits for my handicap, and at a 10.5 currently I'm not too far off (for comparison, last August I was a 17+, ended the year at 13.4, now down to the 10.5). But I feel like I can't get to where I want to be without my chipping improving significantly.

My chipping, unfortunately, has not been so good. I'm just chipping like a complete moron. So I've been looking into getting Monte's Use the Bounce 2.0...anyone here try it? Any other suggestions?

Normally I'd go get a lesson with Geoff regarding the chipping, but I feel like I've got so many other things to work on with him that if I can find another way to get better at chipping, I'd rather save those lessons for some other areas of my game.

seven dewey mentioned it about a page ago, and he and I also discussed it some more last night over some beers. Do not overthink your chipping game. Your ultimate goal is to just get the ball anywhere on the green. When chipping, I have a choice of three clubs: 8-iron, PW, and LW. Once I pick a club, I commit to it, then I make practice swings until one feels right, then I try to repeat that swing on my actual shot.

Normally I'd go get a lesson with Geoff regarding the chipping, but I feel like I've got so many other things to work on with him that if I can find another way to get better at chipping, I'd rather save those lessons for some other areas of my game.

seven dewey mentioned it about a page ago, and he and I also discussed it some more last night over some beers. Do not overthink your chipping game. Your ultimate goal is to just get the ball anywhere on the green. When chipping, I have a choice of three clubs: 8-iron, PW, and LW. Once I pick a club, I commit to it, then I make practice swings until one feels right, then I try to repeat that swing on my actual shot.

Isn't that the truth....I find myself stepping up to a chip with 50 thoughts going on. What club, what flight, back of stance or forward, fly it up high or get it running right away, trying to get it to spin and stop. No good. I'll try the think less process tomorrow, I'm playing at CommonGround which is a comfortable place for me to play so it'll be a good spot to try it out. I like that advice, thanks.

Thinking of that, it actually reminds me a lot of playing out the sand. I used to overthink everything about sand shots, until one day I decided to say screw it, just get the ball out of the sand and don't worry about anything else. It worked out great and I've never been a better bunker player than I am now (my sand handicap is 5.5, which is second only to my putting).

I find myself stepping up to a chip with 50 thoughts going on. What club, what flight, back of stance or forward, fly it up high or get it running right away, trying to get it to spin and stop. No good. I'll try the think less process tomorrow, I'm playing at CommonGround which is a comfortable place for me to play so it'll be a good spot to try it out. I like that advice, thanks.

To clarify a bit more: you can have all of those 50 thoughts as you walk up to your ball. Run it low? 8-iron. Need some loft and a little check action? PW. Need it to land softly? Open-face LW*. But as soon as you pick your club, turn your brain off, take a few practice swings, then just do it.

* - I will say that the open-face LW took a lot of practice (and trial-and-error) to be comfortable with. Based on the distance I need, I take it back a certain distance, then I accelerate through/under the ball.

Woot woot! Clubs are starting to come in! Got my irons, driving iron and wedges yesterday. Hopefully the rest come in this week!

Ready to put them in play this weekend at Ravenna (pretty stoked for this round!)

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

I find myself stepping up to a chip with 50 thoughts going on. What club, what flight, back of stance or forward, fly it up high or get it running right away, trying to get it to spin and stop. No good. I'll try the think less process tomorrow, I'm playing at CommonGround which is a comfortable place for me to play so it'll be a good spot to try it out. I like that advice, thanks.

To clarify a bit more: you can have all of those 50 thoughts as you walk up to your ball. Run it low? 8-iron. Need some loft and a little check action? PW. Need it to land softly? Open-face LW*. But as soon as you pick your club, turn your brain off, take a few practice swings, then just do it.

* - I will say that the open-face LW took a lot of practice (and trial-and-error) to be comfortable with. Based on the distance I need, I take it back a certain distance, then I accelerate through/under the ball.

For me, I try to keep it simple while chipping. I use my 56* nearly all the time, it's just a matter of if I put the ball back in my stance or more to the center to determine ball flight and how it lands. Weight on the front foot. The only swing thought I have is to not decelerate through the ball.

Looking good Tim.

Thanks! Can't wait to get the ratty, hobo TM headcover out of there lol

Edel E-1

Top of the bag is:

Cobra F8+ driver, which I hit roughly 280yds

Cobra F8 3/4w, which I recall hitting 245'ish

Cobra F8 4h, which I hit roughly 225yds

I hit my 5i about 205ish, so there is a bit of a gap, but I am not faced with that distance very often. I opted for a driving iron over a 4i, which I hit slightly further than the 4h since I like to hit that on shorter holes. I really liked the ball flight of it, particularly on windier days.

Edel E-1

For me, I try to keep it simple while chipping. I use my 56* nearly all the time, it's just a matter of if I put the ball back in my stance or more to the center to determine ball flight and how it lands. Weight on the front foot. The only swing thought I have is to not decelerate through the ball.

Looking good Tim.

Thanks! Can't wait to get the ratty, hobo TM headcover out of there lol

Agreed!

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Played Wellshire yesterday with a buddy since I had the day off. It was humid, but not overly hot. I had not played there in over a year and I have to say that I forgot how tight that course is. There is the tree line but then the fairway is even narrower. So I don't know how many fairways I found that round but it couldn't have been more than 4-5 even though I was driving the ball wonderfully. I only had one get away on number 7 which led to a double bogey.

Even though that course is "boring" in the sense that its pretty much straight up and back for most of each nine, I still really enjoyed it. Pace of play could have been better for a Tuesday, but that is muni golf in a big city I suppose.

I won't likely hit another golf shot until 8/3 and that makes me a bit sad.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]