Muscle Back "Blade" Irons --- History and Future?

Titleist-Golfer

It was a thread about blades

Please point out a CB or GI thread that was derailed by blade-users

No, it was a thread asking what the forum thought about the future of blades.

And the answer is pretty clear - its dismal, given current retail outlets and market share, especially compared to what once was.

Nobody makes threads about the outlook of GI irons because its obvious.

The thread wasn't "de-railed", you guys didn't get the answer you wanted. Blades are fine. Nobody cares what you play. But if you ask any group of reasonably plugged-in golfers about the future of blades you'll get the same answer. Most of the time you find them at yard sales next to Ataris and VHS machines.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't currently play MB's ,but have shot my lowest rounds using them. The blade/CB debate gets old. The main reason I have ever played MB's and probably will again is be cause I just like them. Simple as that.

But what was your lowest rounds?

Not really sure why it would matter as lower is lower no matter what the score, but if you must know, I've had several rounds in the mid 70's using blades. 74 being the lowest to date.

Another thread derailed into a Blades vs GI debate by the anti-blade crusaders

... The sound of one hand clapping. It takes two to tango. Only the zealots do not see this is equally divided among both camps.

... I am neutral in this debate. Both sides post what is basically personal opinions yet somehow think that their experience, would be everyone else's experience. As someone that taught full time, one of the silliest things I see posted is MB's will make you a better ball striker and practicing with an MB will do the same. This is simply personal experience from someone with a weak mind and poor discipline. You should practice with what you are playing. But hey, if practicing with an MB or playing with an MB makes you a better ball striker? Good for you, but that is you and you only and that advice does not apply to most golfers. I have seen this sentiment on more than a few CB threads. Pitchers do not throw baseballs with smaller seams so they are more productive with their curveball when they use normal seams. Shooting guards do not use bigger basketballs to fine tune their ability to put it the the center of the rim. The practice with what they play.

... Equally as silly is telling someone else that a CB would be much better for their game, and if they are playing MB's they are delusional. There are quite obviously many advantages to playing MB's if you have the skill to make them work for your swing. If not, the best players in the world would not be using them. Speith won the Open Championship using AP2's and Molinari won using P750's and Stenson won using what are very close to SGI irons on a course where controlling your flight and distance is paramount. Of course I can give the same example with Rory and Tiger that won using MB's. I am of the belief that confidence trumps technical performance every time. If you honestly think you hit MB's better, you probably will. If you honestly think you hit CB's better, you probably will.

Your comment about confidence trumping technical performance is spot on. I came into our club championships 2 weeks ago with a bit of good form behind me and promptly shot 93/91. I read Bob Rotella’s book ‘Your 15th Club’ during the following days and played last weekend without any intervening practice - I just read the book. I shot 76 with the exact same equipment on the exact same course in pretty much the same conditions. 17 shots difference just because I read a book!! To be honest I didn’t strike the ball very well (5/14 fairways, 5/18 GIR) but the book changed my mindset and I was confident of getting the ball in the hole. FWIW, if I take 8-iron chip shots out, I only hit my irons 21 times.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

No, it was a thread asking what the forum thought about the future of blades.

And the answer is pretty clear - its dismal, given current retail outlets and market share, especially compared to what once was.

Nobody makes threads about the outlook of GI irons because its obvious.

The thread wasn't "de-railed", you guys didn't get the answer you wanted. Blades are fine. Nobody cares what you play. But if you ask any group of reasonably plugged-in golfers about the future of blades you'll get the same answer. Most of the time you find them at yard sales next to Ataris and VHS machines.

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
TEE XCG7 15*
Srixon Z545 4-PW
Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
John Byron DaleHead 2

to this....

0e607eb38bb2f94ea9a3500afd9b9244.jpg

to this....

r7quadL.jpg

to this....

Callaway_EPIC_caitzv.jpg

edit: with all that advancement who on any Tour would still be back playing the original wooden stuff?

Bob Estes did it in the early 21st Century, even having a club made for him by Louisville Golf.

:pimp:

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

There is $$ in distance, which is why driver tech advances. It is now spreading to fairways and hybrids, and even the new trampoline faced irons.

But most people value precision over distance in their iron shots and wedges, which is why forging really hasn't progressed beyond CB irons.

Personally, I'd be happy with a set of zero offset blades or CBs. Too bad, everyone wants to ruin good forgings with too much offset.

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

to this....

to this....

r7quadL.jpg

to this....

Callaway_EPIC_caitzv.jpg

edit: with all that advancement who on any Tour would still be back playing the original wooden stuff?

This comparison doesn't work for irons. 100% of Tour pros use 440+cc titanium drivers because they are without question superior for driving the ball. 100% use bladed wedges, because they're clearly superior for distance and trajectory control. Type of iron? Not definitive for ALL golfers. Mallet style putters? They're easier to line up and more forgiving right? So why don't ALL touring pros use them. Some technology is clearing superior, others not so much. Irons, especially short and mid irons are user specific.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

to this....

to this....

r7quadL.jpg

to this....

Callaway_EPIC_caitzv.jpg

This comparison doesn't work for irons. 100% of Tour pros use 440+cc titanium drivers because they are without question superior for driving the ball. 100% use bladed wedges, because they're clearly superior for distance and trajectory control. Type of iron? Not definitive for ALL golfers. Mallet style putters? They're easier to line up and more forgiving right? So why don't ALL touring pros use them. Some technology is clearing superior, others not so much. Irons, especially short and mid irons are user specific.

You just called out a comparison that didn’t make sense while making one right after.

is becoming super sensitive and unable/unwilling to hear other opinions/critiques a side effect of playing blades?

because if it is, i may just have to put my cobra king mb 4-G up on the BST.

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

is becoming super sensitive and unable/unwilling to hear other opinions/critiques a side effect of playing blades?

You haven't posted a single meaningful opinion in this entire thread. If I'm wrong, please point it out.

Those are great irons, I'd hold onto them.

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
TEE XCG7 15*
Srixon Z545 4-PW
Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
John Byron DaleHead 2

You haven't posted a single meaningful opinion in this entire thread. If I'm wrong, please point it out.

Those are great irons, I'd hold onto them.

I’m not one to offer meaningful opinion to people who don’t operate on logic and reason.

What’s left to say that hasn’t already been said? My opinion is irrelevant because it’s just that: opinion.

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

Sure is amusing when some people that play a particular type of club can't stop comparing and justifying their choice to a different kind of club. Anecdotal or research, NOBODY in their right mind buys clubs based on marketing hype alone. When it comes to laying down cash, their personal experience with that clubhead is what buys the club. So, stop throwing out anecdotal as if it doesn't have merit. It does but not with someone's preconceived bias.

I know plenty of beginners and intermediate people purchase clubs based on how forgiving the club is for their skill level. We can call that anecdotal. Changing to blades often comes when someone realizes their game goal is different than before, and maybe an acquaintance has had substantial success with MB / blades. After playing Pings for eight months, a relative that was quite successful with MB / blades suggested I consider them after he heard my goal. So I switched to Mizuno blades. Would I advise people I encounter on that choice, no?

For specific reasons muscle back blades will be around for a long time past when I am gone, as they should. Do those of us that enjoy blades care about your choice, NO? Will we think less of you, NO, not unless you become a raving azz because of your choice and or insecurities? You shouldn't care about our choice in clubs either unless your goals appear aligned with our goals and what we've chosen is of interest. I am in my late 60's and still intermittently enjoy my 670MB's and MacGregor Butterknives when my ball striking gets stinky. :beach: :lol:

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Here are some of my favorites:

“I play x club so I can keep it low punching out from under limbs”

“I play x club so when I hit it 30 yards off line it doesn’t go as far into trouble”

“I play x club because forgiveness is a myth”

“I play x club because I don’t shoot any worse with one vs the other”

Keep storming the castle....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I keep playing the same damn irons so I don’t have to learn what new clubs will do.

How sad is that?!

Not sad at all. You must trust and feel comfortable with your clubs, and you're not alone. Lots of decent amateurs don't like to change irons, I am one.

I've been around long enough to know just because its new or pricy doesn't necessarily mean its better. Lots of time, all that changes is cosmetics. Besides, in defense of OEM's, every year it's difficult to find something that surpasses or revolutionizes certain game aspects. :) :beach:

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I do think this is one of the few really sad elements of GolfWRX.

The fact a few trolls come into these threads ruins it for the rest of us.

Sadly, I don't think there's anything to be done about it. It's just ironic considering how many folks actually hit MBs around here.

You seriously do not think the OP was a troll post? Really?

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

As for the lack of consistent distance control in GI irons, that is a myth that has been busted many times.

Lol where? I'll wait.

As the line in my reply that you did not quote said, if GI irons truly had hot spots that could create 15 yard bursts they would never pass USGA conforming tests.

Those mythical "no reason fairway jumpers" are simply just less than stellar strikes that reduce the spin on the ball, therefor increasing distance. It is an example of the difference in the performance of center mass vs perimeter weighting.

If I hit my Titleist 690mb's out on the toe I will come up short pretty much every time. Sometimes just a few yards short but sometimes by as much as 15-20 yards. In the same regard, if I hit my Steelheads or G700's out on the toe, sometimes I still get "normal" distance, but sometimes I get a low spin knuckle ball that carries 10 yards further than normal and rolls out further than normal. Technically that is what a jumper is, but I also know that the reason for the "jumper" was the strike, not some magical hot spot on the iron. Also in all fairness, occasionally a bad toe strike on my GI irons will still come up short, but only by a few yards. Either way, any of those misses was caused my a less than perfect strike. Maybe for some people the Blade vs Game Improvement debate really just comes down to, "when I do make a mistake would I rather come up short or long?".

As for the future of blades, they are not going anywhere, but I don't think they will ever be a dominant force in the market again. Personally I love the look and feel of blades, and if I had a more consistent short game I would probably still be playing them. I choose to play game improvement irons because I feel I can manage my misses better with them.

I do think this is one of the few really sad elements of GolfWRX.

The fact a few trolls come into these threads ruins it for the rest of us.

Sadly, I don't think there's anything to be done about it. It's just ironic considering how many folks actually hit MBs around here.

You seriously do not think the OP was a troll post? Really?

I seriously do not

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

To try and steer back to the original topic, I think that the future of blades will be refinements on the T-MB, P790, I500, PXG concepts. Doing things like multi-material construction in order to improve head stability and/or increase the size effective "sweet spot" by 1mm-2mm. I would be curious to see if any of the manufacturers have tried utilizing layering different metals (say carbon steel with aluminum) then hitting them with the forge to allow them to reallocate weight to different areas. When it comes to a fundamental blade and trying to push it's boundaries, I think Mizuno has come up with some cool concepts with the MP-32 and MP-5 lines. I would be interested to see what could come out of them revisiting and improving on concepts like the cut muscle design. The biggest thing holding it back, as many have pointed out, is the market share size as it is a very niche genre. Why allocate 10 million to experiment and refine if you'll likely never recoup that money unless you end up with lightning in a bottle.

The type of golfers that play blades are not your "standard" golfer. It's not so much of a skill level dependent as the desire for the physical properties like trajectory and distance windows, look at address, and shot feedback. Even then, they are not for everyone especially with how the "players CB" has evolved. 90%-ish of golfers do not care about the physical attributes of blades because their wants do not match up. They want the forgiveness, height, and distance in addition to confidence a larger club head provides. None of which are offered with blades. Blade cool factor quickly goes away when your buddy is hitting a 150 yard PW to your 8 or 9 iron and only if you hit it flush. Workability is an over-used catch word with blades, just watch TXG's video on it. A good player who understands the cause and effect in his swing can move the ball as he needs with the only difference perhaps being the exaggeration of the action required to pull off the shot.

While I think it could be interesting to see where things could go with blades given the resources (we're starting to see it with PXG driving the train), I don't think the "true" solid forged blade is going to advance much past it's current point given the market.

Driver - Titleist 917D2 8.5
3 wood - Titleist 917F2 15
Hybrids - Titleist 915Hd 20
Irons - Titleist 716MB 4-9
Wedges - Titleist SM6 48/52/56/62
Putter - Scotty Studio Select Newport 2

Wuuuut???^^^^. I leave the equipment forums in you guys hands and comeback and the 790 and Tmb are now “ blades”. ? Lol. 790 are like 8 inches heel to toe.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

"While I think it could be interesting to see where things could go with blades given the resources (we're starting to see it with PXG driving the train), I don't think the "true" solid forged blade is going to advance much past it's current point given the market."

I concur. Although tongue in cheek from earlier if blades are going to survive they are going to do so with the help of science. Advanced metallurgy and multi material builds will put them back in the hands of the "every Golfer". We are at the very small beginning swell of a giant crest that is new iron tech. This decade will be that of the iron as driver tech is all but maxxed and manufacturer's have to continue to turn out product. As someone who's owned Hogan Apex (mid 90's) to 0311XF and almost everything in between I can't wait to see what golfs smartest guys cook up next.

Maybe IF somebody comes up with a 790 type iron with a sharp leading edge and a sole that doesn’t bounce , so you can actuallly compress the ball I could see it. The biggest gripe I have with modern irons is that they all have such dull and wide soles. You cannot take a divot on anything short of wet ground. And no divot , equals no compression , which is less spin , which is less control. And that is counter productive.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Maybe IF somebody comes up with a 790 type iron with a sharp leading edge and a sole that doesnt bounce , so you can actuallly compress the ball I could see it. The biggest gripe I have with modern irons is that they all have such dull and wide soles. You cannot take a divot on anything short of wet ground. And no divot , equals no compression , which is less spin , which is less control. And that is counter productive.

What? A wider sole can only help it’s not gonna hurt a good ball striker. Buy the time any of what you said happens the ball is gone. Hit the ball in the middle of the face and you’ll have plenty of spin and control...a divot is inconsequential.