2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Fortnite and Rickie Fowler

What do you know? The Fortnite thread in the junior section is a Hot Topic.

Paradise Palms, Lazy Links, and the Viking Village are really cool. My kid wants a golf skin and a Driver for a pick axe.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you know? The Fortnite thread in the junior section is a Hot Topic.

Pleasure Park, Lazy Links, and the Viking place (don't know if it has a name) are really cool. My kid wants a golf skin and a Driver for a pick axe.

lazy links is awesome.....golf carts with side pipes that you can drift? I wish that was real life

I am a little late to the party but Tigermom's sanctimonious post has triggered me!! We set limits in my house. You can do anything too much...even practice golf.

Tigermom said if only he didn't play video games he could reach his potential.... If only Ninja wasn't playing video games, he could have done something with his life. I applaud Ninja's parents because I don't think I would have reacted very well if my son he wanted to play video games for a living.

https://www.cnbc.com...e-fortnite.html ...btw....I have read his monthly income is actually closer to $1 million a month.

Tiger Woods was (probably still is) a big video game player. He played Call of Duty all the time. If only he hadn't played video games, he could have been a good golfer!!!

I am a little late to the party but Tigermom's sanctimonious post has triggered me!! We set limits in my house. You can do anything too much...even practice golf.

Tigermom said if only he didn't play video games he could reach his potential.... If only Ninja wasn't playing video games, he could have done something with his life. I applaud Ninja's parents because I don't think I would have reacted very well if my son he wanted to play video games for a living.

https://www.cnbc.com...e-fortnite.html ...btw....I have read his monthly income is actually closer to $1 million a month.

Tiger Woods was (probably still is) a big video game player. He played Call of Duty all the time. If only he hadn't played video games, he could have been a good golfer!!!

Actually I said imagine if he only had one game console instead of three - i.e. more closer to moderation

He said he was addicted - i.e. opposite of moderation

How much did Tiger waste time playing video games during his formative years growing up?

So my son really wanted to make the Jr League All Stars this year. So about a week or two ago he decided to get back serious and had me book a lesson with his PGAJL coach. After that first lesson I saw a major transformation in his attitude, excitement, and most of all his swing. He worked everyday on it, and had another group lesson yesterday and hit better than I had ever seen him. This afternoon he went out and shot his lowest round ever. Beating his previous best by 4 strokes. Can't tell you how proud I am of him, and to see him turn around so much.

Still plays Fortnite everyday by the way, and watched The Open today before our tee time cheering for Tiger. The best part is I got every shot of his stellar round today on our new Gopro. Can't wait to edit the shots and enjoy that keepsake.

Fortnite is a big part of kids' social lives right now, especially with summer break.

It's a free game, allowing everyone to play. I wish there were free games like that readily available when I was younger; I always had to wait when they went on sale, and by that time, the new thing was in.

I'm not surprised kids would choose to play instead of watching Golf Channel; it's a lot of fun.

I was a solid junior golfer, but still dabbled in video games.

Only sad because that is what the parents allow them to do. That is a lack of parenting. I know my kid is outside at least 4 hours playing golf everyday. Probably another hour playing basketball in the driveway or riding his bike. Usually stay in mid-day because it is so flipping hot. The late afternoons it rains and storms.

Only sad because that is what the parents allow them to do. That is a lack of parenting. I know my kid is outside at least 4 hours playing golf everyday. Probably another hour playing basketball in the driveway or riding his bike. Usually stay in mid-day because it is so flipping hot. The late afternoons it rains and storms.

Yes but it seems like there are many videogame (and Fortnight) apologists on this forum

It is obviously addictive

Dangerous to dabble in things that can cause addictions IMVHO

Yes but it seems like there are many videogame (and Fortnight) apologists on this forum

Anything can be addictive. Nothing wrong with moderation.

not everyone has an addictive personality either....if you don't like video games, that's fine for you....if the kid golfs over 4 hrs a day, is he addicted to golf? that's ok I guess?

not everyone has an addictive personality either....if you don't like video games, that's fine for you....if the kid golfs over 4 hrs a day, is he addicted to golf? that's ok I guess?

My kid has been addicted to Golf, Fishing, Basketball, and Fortnite. Notice I didn't say any other video game. He is addicted to Fortnite because it is social for him. He doesn't text, he doesn't talk on the phone, he doesn't surf the web, he has never played any other video game. He played Rory, Madden, WWF, and COD but for a very short time. He golfs and plays Fortnite. Fortnite will eventually go away.

Son played in a tourney on Sat and said one of of the players in his foursome starts talking about fortnite after the first green. The kid goes on to shoot one over and my kid tanks bcuz he couldn’t stop talking about it. Strategy or not, fortnite is ruining my kids focus. Hahahaha

That kid’s gonna make some cash later on. Straight hustler.

Son played in a tourney on Sat and said one of of the players in his foursome starts talking about fortnite after the first green. The kid goes on to shoot one over and my kid tanks bcuz he couldn't stop talking about it. Strategy or not, fortnite is ruining my kids focus. Hahahaha

That kid's gonna make some cash later on. Straight hustler.

Makes me wonder about the distractions our kids face in this day and age. I don't remember talking about video games during baseball games growing up. Of course all we had was an Atari 2600.

In my day, we talked about MTV's latest music video.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Son played in a tourney on Sat and said one of of the players in his foursome starts talking about fortnite after the first green. The kid goes on to shoot one over and my kid tanks bcuz he couldn't stop talking about it. Strategy or not, fortnite is ruining my kids focus. Hahahaha

Makes me wonder about the distractions our kids face in this day and age. I don't remember talking about video games during baseball games growing up. Of course all we had was an Atari 2600.

Yeah, stories about epic Space Invaders games just don’t really hold up.

Yeah, stories about epic Space Invaders games just don't really hold up.

Remember when it first came out and how addicting that game was ... Crap, just dated myself.

But we definitely didn't talk about vidz during competitive sports.

im sure the pga stars like Spieth and Ricky play tons of fortnite

I heard old guys like Tiger do too

E Gaming and streamers is such a big phenomena.

My little guy made a very telling statement yesterday; he lamented about his generation as several of his buddies want to become a professional gamer rather than professional athlete..- i get it that they will likely become neither. That said, it does beg the question that if demand and interest in 2025-30 (when several of our kids are applying for college) is in E sports and virtual sports and not traditional sports than have we all got it wrong.

What if Tiger Mom was told than in 2030 when her 7yr old was applying to a IVY college, there are more scholarships for an E-Gamer than a member of womens golf team? Would she change her view? It is possible, scholarships are a function of revenue, and imagine if a NCAA makes e-gaming a sport with streaming rights.

As I said before, we do not have Fortnite in the house but my guys has and does play other video games. I think anything in moderation is fine and golf is my son's passion hence all the time and investment.. but I do wonder if E gaming is basically the future hence all the investment has diminishing returns.

My little guy made a very telling statement yesterday; he lamented about his generation as several of his buddies want to become a professional gamer rather than professional athlete..- i get it that they will likely become neither. That said, it does beg the question that if demand and interest in 2025-30 (when several of our kids are applying for college) is in E sports and virtual sports and not traditional sports than have we all got it wrong.

What if Tiger Mom was told than in 2030 when her 7yr old was applying to a IVY college, there are more scholarships for an E-Gamer than a member of womens golf team? Would she change her view? It is possible, scholarships are a function of revenue, and imagine if a NCAA makes e-gaming a sport with streaming rights.

As I said before, we do not have Fortnite in the house but my guys has and does play other video games. I think anything in moderation is fine and golf is my son's passion hence all the time and investment.. but I do wonder if E gaming is basically the future hence all the investment has diminishing returns.

Title IX won't let that happen. There aren't enough girls in esports to fill the ratios needed to build competitive teams. Plus, why would anyone want to use their talent at esports to get free tuition when they can make real money by not playing in the NCAA? The NCAA for all of its upside has just as much of a downside when $ comes into the picture.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Title IX won't let that happen. There aren't enough girls in esports to fill the ratios needed to build competitive teams. Plus, why would anyone want to use their talent at esports to get free tuition when they can make real money by not playing in the NCAA? The NCAA for all of its upside has just as much of a downside when $ comes into the picture.

Titel IX. It has hurt sports more than it has helped.