Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Lol, nice.

I'm working on a hybrid-like club. An old Powerbilt 5 wood that I cut down an inch and added weight to.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Lol, nice.

I'm working on a hybrid-like club. An old Powerbilt 5 wood that I cut down an inch and added weight to.

Sounds interesting. It's really amazing how similar in size and weight this 5 wood is to my actual modern hybrid.

Funny thing was, as I was checking out at the thrift store with it yesterday, one of the ladies who volunteers there took note and asked me from the other checkout station "is that a hybrid?"

She went on to explain how she needs a 5 hybrid for more distance. I offered to sell her the one I was buying for $10. Lol. Then I reminder her that her own store often has nice 5 woods that would work just fine and would be a cheap experiment for her. She looked at me like I was nuts.

But really, what is a 4 or 5 hy but a 4 & 5 wood anyway? I could turn this into a 5hy just by epoxying two brass bars on the sole and rounding them off a bit.

And the price for the hybrid clubs is kind of nutty if you ask me.

I've had a bit of trouble in the past with 5 woods, but this one hits beautifully. A nice high fade for me. Tried it, the Ram 4W, & that Diawa driver out last night. Hit all three very well, so they are going out on Saturday at sunrise.

Good luck with your experiment! Next time we play BDCC maybe I can give it a swing...

Lol, nice.

Sounds interesting. It's really amazing how similar in size and weight this 5 wood is to my actual modern hybrid.

Funny thing was, as I was checking out at the thrift store with it yesterday, one of the ladies who volunteers there took note and asked me from the other checkout station "is that a hybrid?"

She went on to explain how she needs a 5 hybrid for more distance. I offered to sell her the one I was buying for $10. Lol. Then I reminder her that her own store often has nice 5 woods that would work just fine and would be a cheap experiment for her. She looked at me like I was nuts.

But really, what is a 4 or 5 hy but a 4 & 5 wood anyway? I could turn this into a 5hy just by epoxying two brass bars on the sole and rounding them off a bit.

I've had a bit of trouble in the past with 5 woods, but this one hits beautifully. A nice high fade for me. Tried it, the Ram 4W, & that Diawa driver out last night. Hit all three very well, so they are going out on Saturday at sunrise.

Good luck with your experiment! Next time we play BDCC maybe I can give it a swing...

Some thrift stores won't permit their employees to shop there. I've certainly seen that message posted at Goodwill in different areas. I guess they want to try to eliminate the perception that the "good stuff" never makes it to the floor.

Of course, there are ways around that. I know of one charity shop that has a customer that shows up every morning before the store opens. They let him in the back and he cherry picks the clubs that came in the day before. I've seen the stuff he gets and it's the more current stuff that I have no interest in, and I'm sure it goes straight to Ebay. I'll admit something doesn't smell quite right about such a practice, but the customer gets what he wants and the shop gets what it wants.

I know of another place where there's a customer that's 81 years of age. Now, he gets no special privileges or anything, but he is at the store every morning when it opens. It is amusing (to me anyway) to see stuff on Ebay that I saw at the store just a day earlier. He has begged me to come to his house and buy clubs out of his garage, but I told him I had no interest in paying 20 bucks for a club that he bought for 69 cents!

With over 1,000 clubs in my possession (although I probably don't have $2,000 sunk into the entire mess. I could have spent that much on one modern set. But where's the fun in that?), I probably should open a garage based store!

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

I had never bought any golf club because of resale .

Always thought of the purchase as I have use for it, either bag it for play or I have use for the components to fix up existing inventory.

Same theory apply for the found golf balls on the golf course. If I won't play it, I won't pick it up. I know a few golfers have barrels of the used golf balls in their garage and they'll probably never get to the bottom of the stuff , ever. I know some will pick up a premium golf ball regardless if that's a good fit for their game, simply because the premium golf balls were expensive when new..... can't take it with you, so let someone else have a little fun.

Always thought of the purchase as I have use for it, either bag it for play or I have use for the components to fix up existing inventory.

Same theory apply for the found golf balls on the golf course. If I won't play it, I won't pick it up. I know a few golfers have barrels of the used golf balls in their garage and they'll probably never get to the bottom of the stuff , ever. I know some will pick up a premium golf ball regardless if that's a good fit for their game, simply because the premium golf balls were expensive when new..... can't take it with you, so let someone else have a little fun.

It's been increasingly slim pickings the last couple of years in the thrifts for me. Like anything else, there is a finite supply of old golf clubs. Just not seeing much at all these days.

One would think we might start seeing some clubs of more recent vintage donated to the thrifts. While I am sure there will be some of that, it may not be in the numbers to which we've grown accustomed. While I don't have any figures, I've got to believe there have been a lot fewer clubs sold in recent years compared to when the game was at its peak. Fewer sales of recent product means less of that product showing up in the thrifts.

Regarding purchasing clubs for resale, I've noticed there seems to be a real decline in interest in older clubs when it comes to Ebay. I have a number of clubs I follow through "saved searches," and I've seen that clubs that at one time sold quickly and for decent money just sit there today, despite some of them being marked down to thrift store prices plus shipping. Purchasing clubs for the purpose of resale is not something I would care to get involved in at this point.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

I could never resist a 'finder',probably because I could not afford much when I started playing but now give them to my playing partners who being Yorkshiremen and tighter than a duck's backside,are absolutely delighted.

It's been increasingly slim pickings the last couple of years in the thrifts for me. Like anything else, there is a finite supply of old golf clubs. Just not seeing much at all these days.

One would think we might start seeing some clubs of more recent vintage donated to the thrifts. While I am sure there will be some of that, it may not be in the numbers to which we've grown accustomed. While I don't have any figures, I've got to believe there have been a lot fewer clubs sold in recent years compared to when the game was at its peak. Fewer sales of recent product means less of that product showing up in the thrifts.

Regarding purchasing clubs for resale, I've noticed there seems to be a real decline in interest in older clubs when it comes to Ebay. I have a number of clubs I follow through "saved searches," and I've seen that clubs that at one time sold quickly and for decent money just sit there today, despite some of them being marked down to thrift store prices plus shipping. Purchasing clubs for the purpose of resale is not something I would care to get involved in at this point.

Thanks to forum like this one , more had picked up the idea of the newest is not always the best. So a lot of golfers had revert back to keeping their bag for a few years longer. More are shopping at the thrift stores now since news got out older golf clubs could be had for cheap.

The ripple effect of flooding the market with new golf clubs brought on more used golf clubs on the auction block... no young golfers wants a nice set of golf clubs unless it's the recent models from top OEM .

I still love my current bag, the more recent club in it is a 2012 driver.

I could never resist a 'finder',probably because I could not afford much when I started playing but now give them to my playing partners who being Yorkshiremen and tighter than a duck's backside,are absolutely delighted.

I just passed a Hiro Honma 3 wood in the thrift store. Didn't regret it because I would not play that one. Also handled a set of Ben Hogan Apex II, seemed to be Japanese model with shaft bands with Japanese stamping on it. 3-PW, some ferrules are faded needs replacement , probably should reshaft with new epoxy if someone wants to play it. Heads are in good condition except for the sole on the E wedge had browning of the chrome finishing.

Passed on that for $3.99 each.

Speaking of 'making your own hybrids' I have found that cut down and lead taped 5 & 7 wood TaylorMade Pittsburg Persimmon Railors and Tour Cleeks work great!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to forum like this one , more had picked up the idea of the newest is not always the best. So a lot of golfers had revert back to keeping their bag for a few years longer. More are shopping at the thrift stores now since news got out older golf clubs could be had for cheap.

The ripple effect of flooding the market with new golf clubs brought on more used golf clubs on the auction block... no young golfers wants a nice set of golf clubs unless it's the recent models from top OEM .

I still love my current bag, the more recent club in it is a 2012 driver.

While it is absolutely true some clubs that used to be the cats pajamas just sit there like so much flotsam (Spalding tour editions, ugh) I must disagree with you on one point. I believe the generation currently in their mid twenties to early thirties have/are/will gain a deeper appreciation and thereby create higher demand for vintage clubs than the generation that came up swinging lumber. It was true with hickory, it'll be true with steel and persimmon. Every generation wishes it were the one before, for innumerable reasons, but we always seem to want what we were just barely too young to remember. When I was a kid, long before golf ate my soul and purpose in life, I remember my brother in law and his father gagaing over one of the first burners, making fun of their old drivers and the guys in thier foursome that swung them. When I started playing 10 years later, wooden clubs were non existent and much derided. As you go along your personal heros journey there comes a point where you seek arcane, secret knowledge to help you vanquish your foes, and while I don't see many other thirty something's out there with persimmon and blade, I see more than I used to . Add to that my generations appreciation for thrift ( we became adults during the recession ) and well... It's only a matter of time...

Lol, nice.

Cobra did the same thing many moons ago with the "utility" wood they called it a Baffler. Then Stan Thompson did the same thing with the "Ginty" woods. Most classic 5 woods are around 21* which is the same as a modern metal 7 wood. IMHO a Baffler and A Ginty are great clubs out of the rough and bad lies

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I can't wait to get to the course and show off my new hybrid to the kid who plays all the whizbang clubs.

And then I pull off the cover and say, " Oh wait! What's this now?"

Ha!

Love it! Did you already get it out on the course ?

Speaking of 'making your own hybrids' I have found that cut down and lead taped 5 & 7 wood TaylorMade Pittsburg Persimmon Railors and Tour Cleeks work great!

Great idea ! I have got Some lying around , Will have a look at that !!!

Countdown for Augusta!!!

That sounds like some of the retiree old farts around here---- Hard to figure out if they are playing golf or ball hawking. One old guy I know carries 3 different type of retrievers in his bag. I know one of the new bag drop guys was complaining the other day about that guy's cart bag weighing 500 lbs and must have had 100 balls in it. I told him that ain't nothing you should see his carport! He has at least 10 or 15 5 gallon buckets full of balls--- LOL he will proudly tell you he has not bought and paid for a golf ball period in over 40 years. Now a lot of the guys hawking balls will sell them at the flea markets etc. We tried selling used balls at our golf shop but they did not sell well. In fact I think I still have 2 5 gallon buckets in the back of the warehouse full of used balls. I know I gave away one bucket along with a bunch of clubs a few years back to send to the troops overseas. I love my fall walking rounds during the Fall Tourist season I find quite a bit of premium balls.

Those Tour Cleeks were a metal copy of the old baffler I previously mentioned. Yep with the right shaft and weighting they still do a great job. If set up properly for someone I will walk straight out on the plank and say they perform as good as any modern version today

Lol, nice.

Some thrift stores won't permit their employees to shop there. I've certainly seen that message posted at Goodwill in different areas. I guess they want to try to eliminate the perception that the "good stuff" never makes it to the floor.

Of course, there are ways around that. I know of one charity shop that has a customer that shows up every morning before the store opens. They let him in the back and he cherry picks the clubs that came in the day before. I've seen the stuff he gets and it's the more current stuff that I have no interest in, and I'm sure it goes straight to Ebay. I'll admit something doesn't smell quite right about such a practice, but the customer gets what he wants and the shop gets what it wants.

I know of another place where there's a customer that's 81 years of age. Now, he gets no special privileges or anything, but he is at the store every morning when it opens. It is amusing (to me anyway) to see stuff on Ebay that I saw at the store just a day earlier. He has begged me to come to his house and buy clubs out of his garage, but I told him I had no interest in paying 20 bucks for a club that he bought for 69 cents!

With over 1,000 clubs in my possession (although I probably don't have $2,000 sunk into the entire mess. I could have spent that much on one modern set. But where's the fun in that?), I probably should open a garage based store!

I have heard that there are some around here that do that and have even heard a couple of then boasting about it in the restaurant and at the flea market. i actually called BS on them. I see too much stuff both classic and semi modern come through our scrapyard either they are full of sheep dip or do not know what they are looking at. I do not do it for a living I give a lot of stuff away if I can't hit it or trade it to someone. Last week I did a trade in credit thing at a local store I deal with got $50 store credit on clubs I had less than $1 in at scrap prices. I do not do that all the time and the owner knows where I get stuff. I have never been greedy me and him deal where I can make a bump and he can make a bump. Comes out well that way. I do not overflood him you know a wise man does not ride a good horse to death. About once a year in the spring I will rent a booth at the flea market on Saturday and sell off a bunch of clubs cheap. Some of the flea market dealers will scream when I appear. I basically tell them to screw themselves this is America and still a free country. One of the big time dealers spotted me last year before I had gotten my table pass. He asked what I would take for the whole load on my truck probably close to 100 clubs. I told him look and make an offer. He told me lowball $100. I told him I would just buy my table pass and sell. He offered me $150 and I bit. Like I said do not low ball me and try to hit the fat hog. I do not mind a man making a profit. I collected unloaded at his booth and went to the Pancake house and had breakfast and played golf. Some of the dealers do not like how I deal. I do not price my stuff basically someone approaches my table and asks "how much?" I will tell them make me an offer this is a flea market. Say on a wedge $10 ok peel me off a 10 spot sold. What "profit I make goes back into the shop for supplies and rental on the storage unit across the street. I have another gentleman who calls me from time to time who is a big time flea market dealer. He works here some North Myrtle some and up in Gastonia NC some. He bulk buys from me. He will have some requests and I will fill them if I can. LOL he knows darn well better than to ask me for any Macgregor clubs knows I will not sell them.

Actually I did. So far that club has been very good to me. I pulled that trick on my son when he was here, and he laughed. I actually got him to hit it on one hole. He did well. I have the driver also, but did not hit as well with that...yet.

Actually I did. So far that club has been very good to me. I pulled that trick on my son when he was here, and he laughed. I actually got him to hit it on one hole. He did well. I have the driver also, but did not hit as well with that...yet.

I like that club is doing the job and the trick part ?

Countdown for Augusta!!!

That sounds like some of the retiree old farts around here---- Hard to figure out if they are playing golf or ball hawking. One old guy I know carries 3 different type of retrievers in his bag. I know one of the new bag drop guys was complaining the other day about that guy's cart bag weighing 500 lbs and must have had 100 balls in it. I told him that ain't nothing you should see his carport! He has at least 10 or 15 5 gallon buckets full of balls--- LOL he will proudly tell you he has not bought and paid for a golf ball period in over 40 years. Now a lot of the guys hawking balls will sell them at the flea markets etc. We tried selling used balls at our golf shop but they did not sell well. In fact I think I still have 2 5 gallon buckets in the back of the warehouse full of used balls. I know I gave away one bucket along with a bunch of clubs a few years back to send to the troops overseas. I love my fall walking rounds during the Fall Tourist season I find quite a bit of premium balls.

I had an uncle who we went to visit once that "collected" golf balls, and his bag had a couple of customized ball retrievers (he was a former NASA engineer) that aided him in accumulating golf balls he found on the course.

Anyway, much to his consternation, my aunt invited me to check out his inventory in the garage ("surely you could find some you can use, take all you need"), which I assumed would be a couple of 5-gallon buckets or perhaps a garbage can full - and upon entering the garage I found three large shipping boxes (think the size that would accommodate a dishwasher) stacked one on top of the other with the words golf balls scribed in large block letter on them in magic marker.

I took one look and laughed.

I have no idea how he got the boxes stacked like that, or how much they would have weighed, but I wasn't going to get a hernia getting the top one down, nor was I really that interested in the waterlogged topflites and the like that I'm sure filled them - he was quite the miser, so I'm sure he'd already kept and used any gamers worth playing.

He passed a few years ago, and I can still imagine his family settling his estate and surely needing a forklift to unstack the ceiling-high pile of boxes, one of the boxes breaking, and a thousand or more balls cascading across the floor of the garage.

^^^^ Rob--- Had this wonderful couple (sadly passed now) that lived on the 2nd hole of a local course. Just wonderful people. I met them back when I ran the golf shop I usually ate breakfast with them up at the pancake house every morning. Neither one of them played golf and never had. They said they liked to watch the people playing going by their house. They told me they had some golf balls they would like me to have free. I went over and got them some 6 or 8 5 gallon buckets worth. They would not take a dime. I ended up buying their breakfast a couple of times and it thrilled them to no end. I used to stop by their house some and this is hilarious. If they were out back and someone hit a ball in their yard he would take a 7 iron and knock it over their little fence into the fairway. When folks came looking for their ball he would swear with a straight face that the ball hit a tree limb right there he would point out and kicked right back in the fairway. He swore he had never played golf but saw enough folks he could swing that 7 iron. Said the 7 iron was in the carport when he bought the house. But they were not always home so he got quite a few errant balls. LOL If you came by their yard looking for a ball they would offer you tea,lemonade or a beer. Just fantastic folks when all of this was going on they were in their mid 80s. Man if I played a practice round on that course I would have to start on #10 to get any work done. The way the course was set up they could see #1 tee from their house and so they knew who was teeing off. Man if I started there I would not get any work done because I would end up sitting with them BSing and drinking beer. I still drank back then---- I don't play that course too often anymore but I always think of them when I play that hole. the people that live there now have a big net up and NO Trespassing signs . But one lovable and fun couple. Your story about your Uncle reminded me of them

^^^^ Rob--- Had this wonderful couple (sadly passed now) that lived on the 2nd hole of a local course. Just wonderful people. I met them back when I ran the golf shop I usually ate breakfast with them up at the pancake house every morning. Neither one of them played golf and never had. They said they liked to watch the people playing going by their house. They told me they had some golf balls they would like me to have free. I went over and got them some 6 or 8 5 gallon buckets worth. They would not take a dime. I ended up buying their breakfast a couple of times and it thrilled them to no end. I used to stop by their house some and this is hilarious. If they were out back and someone hit a ball in their yard he would take a 7 iron and knock it over their little fence into the fairway. When folks came looking for their ball he would swear with a straight face that the ball hit a tree limb right there he would point out and kicked right back in the fairway. He swore he had never played golf but saw enough folks he could swing that 7 iron. Said the 7 iron was in the carport when he bought the house. But they were not always home so he got quite a few errant balls. LOL If you came by their yard looking for a ball they would offer you tea,lemonade or a beer. Just fantastic folks when all of this was going on they were in their mid 80s. Man if I played a practice round on that course I would have to start on #10 to get any work done. The way the course was set up they could see #1 tee from their house and so they knew who was teeing off. Man if I started there I would not get any work done because I would end up sitting with them BSing and drinking beer. I still drank back then---- I don't play that course too often anymore but I always think of them when I play that hole. the people that live there now have a big net up and NO Trespassing signs . But one lovable and fun couple. Your story about your Uncle reminded me of them

Fantastic story obout the old couple. Thanks Stu.

Great story Stu.

I met a similar couple, that lived in one of those retirement communities that had a golf course, and even though neither played the game their house backed up to one of the holes. And from what I was told, and being as their yard was pretty much the landing distance for a well-struck tee shot, they'd get plenty of balls bouncing off their walls, windows, roof, and/or landing in their yard.

I ended up meeting them because a buddy of mine installed those hurricane window shutters, and I used to pick up money on the side working for him on the weekends, and I showed up at their house one day to do an install job on the windows on the back side of their house. They'd had a few windows broken, and thought the shutters were a good investment.

So anyway, when I got to their house they invited me out on their screened in back porch for a glass of iced tea while I explained the installation process to them, where they said they often sat enjoying the fresh air, the view, and watching the golfers.

I'm not sitting there five minutes and I hear the telltale swoosh of a golfball coming through the trees, the thud as it bounced off the roof, and looked out as it landed in the middle of the yard.

About that time their Jack Russel Terrier, that had all but been asleep at his owners feet, springs into action.

Bolts back in the sliding glass door, and out the doogie door off the kitchen into the garage, out the other doggie door (I suppose), and come sprinting around the side of the house, snatches up the golf ball, and disappears back from where he came, and 5-10 seconds later is laying down next to his owner....sans golf ball.... and the guy gave him a dog treat.

About that time, another hiss - now I'm watching the dog, and his ears perk up - and the whole process repeats itself.

And now I'm laughing. :cheesy:

Not two minutes pass and two carts come rolling up, and the golfers wanting to climb the guy's back fence and dig around in his bushes for their balls.

"Sure, help yourself," the man says, winking at me, "But I haven't seen a thing."

And they have at it, and the dog doesn't even raise his head or seem to care that strangers are trodding on his turf.

Pretty soon the two guys give up, climb back over the fence, one of them snagging their trousers doing so, get back in their carts, ride back out the the fairway, drop a couple of balls, and play on.

And with that the old(er) guy and his wife bust out laughing, the dog jumps up and spins around looking at them proudly, and the woman remarks, "Charlie, I thought that one guy was going to hurt himself."

And I feel like a bit of an outsider on an inside joke.

And they go on to tell me that there are signs all around the golf course warning against trespassing, and to be careful about hitting stray shots that could strike the houses - and that they'd already paid to have the roof reshingled, several windows replaced, numerous holes in their screened in patio, and too many divots to count from people hitting shots out of their back yard.... All while they watched, and not one apology or offer to pay for the damages.

So they trained the dog.

He went on to take me out in the garage and tells me that the dog deposits the balls in 5-gallon paint buckets he has in the garage, and when they're full he takes them down to the local high school golf team.

He offered to let me take a couple of handfuls, and while they were mostly high end balls (it was a high end tract), I refused on the grounds that at least they were going to a good cause.

So I went ahead and got to work, and installed the shutters (that weren't for hurricanes, but instead to save their windows), and during the course of that day I must have heard that doggie door swing at least a dozen times, and I laughed to myself a little each time.

RobE;

A number of years ago before I golfed I recall that my wife rented a condo for a weekend from her dentist so that we could get away with the kids for a short vacation at a ski resort one summer. The condo was located on a golf course and the back deck looked out on a fairway. I remember sitting out there one afternoon enjoying a beer or two watching the golfers come by and in the process had at least a couple balls fly onto the deck. I didn't think much of it at the time other than I wouldn't want to live there and endure that constantly.

I never have understood the logic behind building houses along golf holes as you know that errant balls are going to be a constant and ongoing problem because basically everybody sucks at this game! Even the pros hit errant shots! when we were on vacation recently we rented a VRBO next to a golf course and still managed to find a few balls on the property despite the house being 50 feet above the grade of the fairway and out of range for the tee shot! I sat out on the deck with my BIL one evening and watched several groups play through and remarked that less than 1 in 10 had any sort of skill (around the green) with the balance just hacking their way through aimlessly and this was a high-end course!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Great story Stu.

I met a similar couple, that lived in one of those retirement communities that had a golf course, and even though neither played the game their house backed up to one of the holes. And from what I was told, and being as their yard was pretty much the landing distance for a well-struck tee shot, they'd get plenty of balls bouncing off their walls, windows, roof, and/or landing in their yard.

I ended up meeting them because a buddy of mine installed those hurricane window shutters, and I used to pick up money on the side working for him on the weekends, and I showed up at their house one day to do an install job on the windows on the back side of their house. They'd had a few windows broken, and thought the shutters were a good investment.

So anyway, when I got to their house they invited me out on their screened in back porch for a glass of iced tea while I explained the installation process to them, where they said they often sat enjoying the fresh air, the view, and watching the golfers.

I'm not sitting there five minutes and I hear the telltale swoosh of a golfball coming through the trees, the thud as it bounced off the roof, and looked out as it landed in the middle of the yard.

About that time their Jack Russel Terrier, that had all but been asleep at his owners feet, springs into action.

Bolts back in the sliding glass door, and out the doogie door off the kitchen into the garage, out the other doggie door (I suppose), and come sprinting around the side of the house, snatches up the golf ball, and disappears back from where he came, and 5-10 seconds later is laying down next to his owner....sans golf ball.... and the guy gave him a dog treat.

About that time, another hiss - now I'm watching the dog, and his ears perk up - and the whole process repeats itself.

And now I'm laughing. :cheesy:

Not two minutes pass and two carts come rolling up, and the golfers wanting to climb the guy's back fence and dig around in his bushes for their balls.

"Sure, help yourself," the man says, winking at me, "But I haven't seen a thing."

And they have at it, and the dog doesn't even raise his head or seem to care that strangers are trodding on his turf.

Pretty soon the two guys give up, climb back over the fence, one of them snagging their trousers doing so, get back in their carts, ride back out the the fairway, drop a couple of balls, and play on.

And with that the old(er) guy and his wife bust out laughing, the dog jumps up and spins around looking at them proudly, and the woman remarks, "Charlie, I thought that one guy was going to hurt himself."

And I feel like a bit of an outsider on an inside joke.

And they go on to tell me that there are signs all around the golf course warning against trespassing, and to be careful about hitting stray shots that could strike the houses - and that they'd already paid to have the roof reshingled, several windows replaced, numerous holes in their screened in patio, and too many divots to count from people hitting shots out of their back yard.... All while they watched, and not one apology or offer to pay for the damages.

So they trained the dog.

He went on to take me out in the garage and tells me that the dog deposits the balls in 5-gallon paint buckets he has in the garage, and when they're full he takes them down to the local high school golf team.

He offered to let me take a couple of handfuls, and while they were mostly high end balls (it was a high end tract), I refused on the grounds that at least they were going to a good cause.

So I went ahead and got to work, and installed the shutters (that weren't for hurricanes, but instead to save their windows), and during the course of that day I must have heard that doggie door swing at least a dozen times, and I laughed to myself a little each time.

OMG!!! Funny I spit coffee and tobacco juice all over my screen this early in the morning laughing at that :partytime2: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Thanks I needed that

Since we are on the subject of lost golf ball stories I can give you one.

Back when I was playing on the Minis in Florida Which was in the summer i stayed in a friend of mine's trailer in Winter Park. He was an ex motorcycle thrill show guy in the carnival. He had gotten old and injured and had became the mechanic and manager of the thrill show. In the summer he was "on tour" with the carnival so he let me and a friend of mine stay in his trailer free. I thus got the nickname one of many of "Trailer Park".

We were playing this event and of course we had the skins game and side bets going. There was this dog leg left par 5 which was the 18th hole. I was basically in the money for the event and we had already found out there was a carryover skins pot which was about $400 or so plus we were even on a side bet of $100 and this was the last hole. Remember in those days I had a nasty snap hook. I got greedy and tried to cut that dog leg which if successful I could hit a 8 or 9 iron into that par 5. I was (in my way of thinking anyhow) going to cut that dog leg make eagle and hit the fat hog in the butt. SNAP OB! Of course I ended up paying off

Later on that night we were at a bar (as our SOP) and got to partying with some girls. Ended up going to an apartment complex with them. I was blitzed. There was about 4 or 5 of us guys and 6 or 8 girls. Of course we ended up skinny dipping. One of the guys was diving in the pool and he had been my partner in the ill fated team bet. He went to the bottom of the pool and came back up with a golf ball. Hollered at me "Hey Trailer Park I think this belongs to you" and tossed it to me and I do not remember if it was a Balata Titleist 100 or a Maxfli HT but it was a #1 ball with my trademark 6 dots around the number. WTF? One of the girls did not know the story but piped up as only a bimbo could. There is a golf course right there and pointed. Sure enough there was that 18th hole I did not have any idea because the loss and golf was the last thing on my mind at that point if you catch my drift. I ended up setting that ball on fire then and there. Then went back to the business at hand. Was kinda funny woke up the next morning and could not remember where I left my car at. At the time I had a 69 Corvette so I panicked. This was the car that was later stolen along with my clubs in Charlotte 6 months later. Anyhow the same bimbo asked me what kind of car I had? I told her and she said is it blue like that one in the course parking lot across the street? Wheeew!! I had enough sense even in those party days not to drive it when drinking and I was drinking heavily when we left the course to begin with. Actually she was not stupid they were at the clubhouse bar when we started and one of the guys had cautioned me about "driving that damn hot rod when drinking" and I had rode with her. Man what fun in those days

When you gonna write that book Stu?

No kidding! That's got to be a retirement project! :beach:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°