Muscle Back "Blade" Irons --- History and Future?

Titleist-Golfer

OR..........

Blades remain boutique and they stay traditional with an eye on premium excellence in forging, fit and finish. A Rolex time piece for a timeless game. Many predicted the demise of the mechanical watch some decades ago. It never happened. Instead it went boutique and collectable.There's precedence in enthusiasts going retro & "purist" in many activities. Running (minimalist shoes), mountain climbing (free), car collecting (barn finds) to name a few. Golf values tradition but has a ravenous appetite for new tech. Sort of like gun collecting. Some marvel at historical arms but many are tantalized by the latest and greatest in technology. Both arteries of enthusiasm drive the passion of weapons. So would not be surprised if golf equipment moves more in such a way and guys like Boyd Blades do well and there's a decent pool of 'traditionalists' to keep them going while gee whiz tech drives the masses to pony up for latest and greatest every product cycle.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe IF somebody comes up with a 790 type iron with a sharp leading edge and a sole that doesn’t bounce , so you can actuallly compress the ball I could see it. The biggest gripe I have with modern irons is that they all have such dull and wide soles. You cannot take a divot on anything short of wet ground. And no divot , equals no compression , which is less spin , which is less control. And that is counter productive.

What? A wider sole can only help it’s not gonna hurt a good ball striker. Buy the time any of what you said happens the ball is gone. Hit the ball in the middle of the face and you’ll have plenty of spin and control...a divot is inconsequential.

Absolutely untrue in my opinion. If it didn’t matter why are wide soles made ? A good player swings instinctively according to turf interaction. Give me a wide sole with blunt leadingedhe and I come in steep to compress the ball. Give me one that cuts nice even divots and I come in shallow and take a long even shallow divot.

It’s a chicken or egg argument. You say chicken I say egg. Both correct in a way. But I’m telling you it subconsciously makes a huge difference. I’ve tried every iron you can name. And every time I come back to a thin sole. I stand by my opinion that they could sell more new tech ironsif the turf interaction was better.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Maybe IF somebody comes up with a 790 type iron with a sharp leading edge and a sole that doesnt bounce , so you can actuallly compress the ball I could see it. The biggest gripe I have with modern irons is that they all have such dull and wide soles. You cannot take a divot on anything short of wet ground. And no divot , equals no compression , which is less spin , which is less control. And that is counter productive.

What? A wider sole can only help its not gonna hurt a good ball striker. Buy the time any of what you said happens the ball is gone. Hit the ball in the middle of the face and youll have plenty of spin and control...a divot is inconsequential.

Absolutely untrue in my opinion. If it didnt matter why are wide soles made ? A good player swings instinctively according to turf interaction. Give me a wide sole with blunt leadingedhe and I come in steep to compress the ball. Give me one that cuts nice even divots and I come in shallow and take a long even shallow divot.

Its a chicken or egg argument. You say chicken I say egg. Both correct in a way. But Im telling you it subconsciously makes a huge difference. Ive tried every iron you can name. And every time I come back to a thin sole. I stand by my opinion that they could sell more new tech ironsif the turf interaction was better.

No, it’s physics. You may prefer one over the other for whatever reason but it doesn’t change what actually happens when you strike the ball. I guess this is a new one......”takes prettier divots”. So some say.

Absolutely untrue in my opinion. If it didn't matter why are wide soles made ? A good player swings instinctively according to turf interaction. Give me a wide sole with blunt leadingedhe and I come in steep to compress the ball. Give me one that cuts nice even divots and I come in shallow and take a long even shallow divot.

It's a chicken or egg argument. You say chicken I say egg. Both correct in a way. But I'm telling you it subconsciously makes a huge difference. I've tried every iron you can name. And every time I come back to a thin sole. I stand by my opinion that they could sell more new tech ironsif the turf interaction was better.

Self-taught good player bladehunter instinctively swings according to turf interaction.

If there are a plethora of examples of good players stating this, I happy to be corrected :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Maybe IF somebody comes up with a 790 type iron with a sharp leading edge and a sole that doesn't bounce , so you can actuallly compress the ball I could see it. The biggest gripe I have with modern irons is that they all have such dull and wide soles. You cannot take a divot on anything short of wet ground. And no divot , equals no compression , which is less spin , which is less control. And that is counter productive.

What? A wider sole can only help it's not gonna hurt a good ball striker. Buy the time any of what you said happens the ball is gone. Hit the ball in the middle of the face and you'll have plenty of spin and control...a divot is inconsequential.

Absolutely untrue in my opinion. If it didn't matter why are wide soles made ? A good player swings instinctively according to turf interaction. Give me a wide sole with blunt leadingedhe and I come in steep to compress the ball. Give me one that cuts nice even divots and I come in shallow and take a long even shallow divot.

It's a chicken or egg argument. You say chicken I say egg. Both correct in a way. But I'm telling you it subconsciously makes a huge difference. I've tried every iron you can name. And every time I come back to a thin sole. I stand by my opinion that they could sell more new tech ironsif the turf interaction was better.

i feel the same way about the thin sole. something about the wide sole causes me issues off of tight lies. i really have to think hard before i swing to mitigate the issue. probably in my head but definitely something i need to consider.

note: i am NOT a good player lol

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

Maybe IF somebody comes up with a 790 type iron with a sharp leading edge and a sole that doesn't bounce , so you can actuallly compress the ball I could see it. The biggest gripe I have with modern irons is that they all have such dull and wide soles. You cannot take a divot on anything short of wet ground. And no divot , equals no compression , which is less spin , which is less control. And that is counter productive.

What? A wider sole can only help it's not gonna hurt a good ball striker. Buy the time any of what you said happens the ball is gone. Hit the ball in the middle of the face and you'll have plenty of spin and control...a divot is inconsequential.

i feel the same way about the thin sole. something about the wide sole causes me issues off of tight lies. i really have to think hard before i swing to mitigate the issue. probably in my head but definitely something i need to consider.

You have a shallower/flatter swing?

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

i would say it tends to be more flat/shallow than upright/steep. probably the bounce contributing a bit too.

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

Without going into any details, since I have none, I too prefer to take divots with thinner soled irons, regardless of where my impact is. Call it turf interaction or whatever, it just feels better. And taking a nice divot at times equates to nice compression.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

i would say it tends to be more flat/shallow than upright/steep. probably the bounce contributing a bit too.

In contrast, thanks to being a human T-Rex, I have something of a steeper swing, take a healthy divot. Sometimes excessive divots, LOL. The wider soles don't bother me, nor does healthy bounce on an iron. I don't necessarily play them, but that's another story. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Its like a preshot routine. It doesn't "matter" because you hit the ball after the preshot routine (duh), but most good players have one to some degree. The downswing is so fast that the difference between a ground ball snap hook and a gorgeous stinger draw is probably a degree and a half of AoA and an inch better aim. With the margins of this game take all the help you can get IMO, whether its "real" or not.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Wuuuut???^^^^. I leave the equipment forums in you guys hands and comeback and the 790 and Tmb are now " blades". ? Lol. 790 are like 8 inches heel to toe.

Agree. I have 716 T-MB 2 iron. It appears blade-like, but it's hollow. As are TM 790's, only they are filled with foam. IMO both are made to appeal to certain types of people but for different reasons. As we know, MB/butterknives are made from solid blocks of steel. :beach:

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Self-taught good player bladehunter instinctively swings according to turf interaction.

If there are a plethora of examples of good players stating this, I happy to be corrected :)

A plethora? :) I am self-taught and comfortable with wide or narrow sole irons, but prefer thin sole with sharp leading edge and flat/minimal camber, as I tend to be a sweeper vs. digger. Unfortunately, contemporary Irons are producing more full soles for those that dig to China and need forgiveness.

My TM Rsi TP irons collect dust because of too much offset and a wide-soles with a blunt leading edge. Thought I could adapt, but after a year I still paid particular attention over the ball to overcome effects of offset. At the beginning of the year, I bought 716CB's, problems solved. Course I always bring out my older MacGregor butterknives with really narrow and flat soles with sharp leading edges to remind myself there's still a difference. :beach:

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Look guys. I’m not advocating for the cease and deacist order on wide soles.

I just said that If a modern iron came out with a good sole that cuts I know of many players who’d look at tech instead of staying with a smaller iron.

Feel isn’t always real. But if real doesn’t feel right what is the point ? Which begs the question of whether real matters at all ? Or if feel is king ?

I haven’t researched this subject. But I have to ask. Is this true universally ?

And I’m not sure why the “ instinctively “ comment is being chastised. Do you not swing different clubs differently ? Most better players will auto adjust no matter what you put in their hands. Within a few swings. That is a known fact. Sometimes to the swings detriment. Reason why most pros don’t have a period of time for trying things. They make up 4-5 examples to try , a few swings and they choose one , or discard them all. If turf interaction didn’t matter then. Why so many wedge grinds ? Why so many lie angle adjustments ? It matters. No matter the order of the ball leaving the clubface and impact of the ground.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

You really have it in For me today ? Eh?

I apologize for whatever I’ve done. Don’t mind disagreeing. But I’ve not intended to make an enemy with any of my comments today. So I hope it isn’t the case.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Look guys. Im not advocating for the cease and deacist order on wide soles.

I just said that If a modern iron came out with a good sole that cuts I know of many players whod look at tech instead of staying with a smaller iron.

Feel isnt always real. But if real doesnt feel right what is the point ? Which begs the question of whether real matters at all ? Or if feel is king ?

I havent researched this subject. But I have to ask. Is this true universally ?

And Im not sure why the instinctively comment is being chastised. Do you not swing different clubs differently ? Most better players will auto adjust no matter what you put in their hands. Within a few swings. That is a known fact. Sometimes to the swings detriment. Reason why most pros dont have a period of time for trying things. They make up 4-5 examples to try , a few swings and they choose one , or discard them all. If turf interaction didnt matter then. Why so many wedge grinds ? Why so many lie angle adjustments ? It matters. No matter the order of the ball leaving the clubface and impact of the ground.

You listed a couple reasons that have as much to do with anatomy and agronomy as much as anything else. I can’t stand the term “turf interaction” as it so irrelevant and nothing more than a preference. Like choosing a satin finish or a black finish. I also think it’s ridiculous that a certain club makes someone “focus” more. That is just absurd. Golf is hard and I doubt any semi serious golfer is taking any shot for granted regardless of the club. While there are some clubs I wouldn’t play on looks alone I don’t play clubs simply based on looks either. I’m more result oriented and can play ALMOST anything if it works. Wide soles do not hurt good ball strikers they only add a bit of forgiveness for slightly mishit shots. Cavity backs do not hurt good ball strikers they only help those that miss the center of the face on occasion.

What did I learn from this thread ?

1. Other peoples experiences are wrong.

2. Who the authority of absurd is.

3. How a club interacts with the ground is irrelevant. Because it's a preference.

4. The bigger the club is, the better it is. Always. Period.

5. It is impossible for people to shoot the same scores with different kinds of irons because some dude on the internet said we can't. Even though we did, do and will again. We are wrong.

3. How a club interacts with the ground is irrelevant. Because it's a preference.

5. It is impossible for people to shoot the same scores with different kinds of irons because some dude on the internet said we can't. Even though we did, do and will again. We are wrong.

Considering you made up a good bit of your list you shouldn’t have had to learn it. Maybe learn from that mistake :)

Fantastic work cliche-man!

You absolutely did just prove who the authority of absurd is with that post. Congrats, you deserve a lie down after that.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Its weird to have a list of things you know and then say you're wrong in number 5. Next time put you're wrong in number one so i don't read the whole list.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

As long as I can remember, I've loved walking along the wall of irons at a golf store. It's a fantastic visual treat, real eye candy and I always love seeing the blades. I'd miss them if they stopped making them.They're like the giant chocolate bunny in the drugstore that you don't buy but seeing it is nonetheless a highlight of your Easter.

And I'm not sure why the " instinctively " comment is being chastised. Do you not swing different clubs differently ? Most better players will auto adjust no matter what you put in their hands. Within a few swings. That is a known fact. Sometimes to the swings detriment. Reason why most pros don't have a period of time for trying things. They make up 4-5 examples to try , a few swings and they choose one , or discard them all. If turf interaction didn't matter then. Why so many wedge grinds ? Why so many lie angle adjustments ? It matters. No matter the order of the ball leaving the clubface and impact of the ground.

... I have alway enjoy your posts, even though we often disagree. Of corse in a perfect world the leading edge and grind matters. He!! in an imperfect world the leading edge and grind matters! But it is only a small part of the equation for some, while others may find it of paramount importance. I use myself as just one example. I am interested in shooting the lowest score every time I play. I finally made it to a 1.5+ index and I want to get to a 2+. If I make that, I will want to get to 3+. I will, within reason of course, use the clubs that best help me achieve that goal. (I am not gonna play Cleveland VAS irons even if they get me to a 4+) I was not in the market for distance players irons as I was happy with my Cobra Forged Tours. I did not really care for the looks of the P790's from the little tungsten bling bar to the multi tiered cavity, yet they looked really good at address. So on a Demo Day I hit them and was blown away by how long, how forgiving and how consistent they were. I hit them a few more times into nets and finally pulled the trigger. I can honestly say I have never been happier with a set if irons and I have played way too many to count. The one thing I do not care for is how the go thru the ground. But that is a small price to pay for their performance. I have no doubt at all that they got me from a 0 index to a + index, and I am sure you know going from 0 to a 1.5+ is a difficult road.

... I have been lusting after some Honma 737Vs irons for several years now, but it would be a luxury buy as the P790's are firmly entrenched in my bag. Threw out a bid on Ebay and won a set for much less than I ever could have imagined. I have played them my last 5 rounds and the difference in feel and how easily the cut thru the ground is just sublime. They really are a joy to play. That said, I absolutely do not swing them any differently than my P790's that grudgingly get thru the turf battering out a very reluctant divot. And yet, the ball just doesn't care. The bottom line is I hit high, longer and straighter shots with the P790's and my slight misses are better than the Honma's. Do I wish the P790's had the same sole and leading edge as the Honma's? Of course I do, but that is not their focus and they appeal to a much wider range of golfers than the 737's.

... Like everything else in golf, you just have to make the trade offs that work best for you. Where so many get into trouble is thinking their way is the right way and sometimes the only way. For the 1,236,846th time. Play whatever makes you happy.

Absolutely agree.

And that’s all I was saying. That I’d prefer they made a modern tech iron with a sole that I preferred. Afterall , if it doesn’t matter , then why not make one with a sharp leading edge ? Lol

I thought I was pretty well on topic unless I misunderstood the OP.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Personally I think the future of MBs is absolutely fine, pretty much all the big OEMs have released new models in the last 12 months or have launches planned, and the ever popular combo set means they will be developed for a while yet.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Personally I think the future of MBs is absolutely fine, pretty much all the big OEMs have released new models in the last 12 months or have launches planned, and the ever popular combo set means they will be developed for a while yet.

Cobra - Combo set - RH & LH

Titleist - 718MB - RH & LH

Callaway - Apex MB - RH & LH

Muira - MB001 - RH & LH

Taylormade - P730 - RH

Mizuno - MP18 - RH

...and to think there's 4 offerings in LH. It's like a niche market inside a niche market. And yet there's no reason for these clubs to even exist because a CB can do everything an MB can do while providing more distance and forgiveness on off centre hits. I mean who doesn't want to save 1 to 3 strokes a round. Me personally, my course has 14 lakes right in front of the greens and CB's just gives me that confidence to, you know....go for the green...LOL :-)

"So what are gonna to do here Dave?"

"What do you think I'm gonna do. I'm going for it"

"You're going for the green?"

"Yup"

"But Dave, you're 168 out and there's a giant lake right in front of the green. What if you don't hit the centre of the club face?"

"It's ok man, I have my new i500's with spring face and strong loft technology so I have nothing to worry about it. Plus you only live once my friend...you only live once....now hand me my PW and stand back"

TM P790s are NOT blades, neither are Titleist TMBs.

Regardless, a blunted (or killed) leading edge with rounded sole is absolutely required for my swing. First set I saw that really did this well was a set of Maruman Conductor forged blades in owned around 2003. Otherwise, I dig to China with huge divots and distance suffers (as does the course). That's what I love about the 680s, 690.MB and some others, but I agree when i saw the TM730, their leading edge was just too sharp to consider for my swing.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

Cobra - Combo set - RH & LH

Titleist - 718MB - RH & LH

Callaway - Apex MB - RH & LH

Muira - MB001 - RH & LH

Taylormade - P730 - RH

Mizuno - MP18 - RH

...and to think there's 4 offerings in LH. It's like a niche market inside a niche market. And yet there's no reason for these clubs to even exist because a CB can do everything an MB can do while providing more distance and forgiveness on off centre hits. I mean who doesn't want to save 1 to 3 strokes a round. Me personally, my course has 14 lakes right in front of the greens and CB's just gives me that confidence to, you know....go for the green...LOL :-)

"So what are gonna to do here Dave?"

"What do you think I'm gonna do. I'm going for it"

"You're going for the green?"

"Yup"

"But Dave, you're 168 out and there's a giant lake right in front of the green. What if you don't hit the centre of the club face?"

"It's ok man, I have my new i500's with spring face and strong loft technology so I have nothing to worry about it. Plus you only live once my friend...you only live once....now hand me my PW and stand back"

I don’t know man... but if im worried about hitting it in the water from 168 from a decent lie ain’t no way I’m playing blades ;-)

I assume the implication here is that an off center hit with a blade stops short? How deep is this theoretical lake?

In all seriousness don’t answer that question- I’m just messing around :-)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

I play cavity backed irons in my G400s. I also have a set of i3+ "Blades" which are also cavity backs with a smaller head.....def NOT blades. I do so for forgiveness and fit, but there is, IMO, NOTHING prettier than a chrome plated MB!

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

TM P790s are NOT blades, neither are Titleist TMBs.

Regardless, a blunted (or killed) leading edge with rounded sole is absolutely required for my swing. First set I saw that really did this well was a set of Maruman Conductor forged blades in owned around 2003. Otherwise, I dig to China with huge divots and distance suffers (as does the course). That's what I love about the 680s, 690.MB and some others, but I agree when i saw the TM730, their leading edge was just too sharp to consider for my swing.

I have an old set of Macgregor JNP's laying around with blunt leading edge, pretty sure my Hogan Edge and Channelbacks were same. It's not a new thing by any stretch.

I did love the 680.MBs.

No matter, blades will be boutique. Essentially they are now.