RECAP: CALLAWAY GOLF BALL LIVE Q&A: Tuesday, July 24th. 2 PM ET/11 AM PT. Ask questions now!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which parts of performance are you looking to improve most when designing a new ball. Is it distance or wedge performance?

Hi, this is Rock Ishii. Great question. It's always the question I'm asking to myself. Golf balls for tour or low handicap competitive golfers, "balance" of those two, or balance of all 14 clubs is always our challenge. Distance is important always but control, feel, sound, trajectory, durability....many other key performance aspects we have to put into one place. When we design other golf balls such as 2P distance model, it gets simpler but we still consider green side spin and overall performance with your 14 clubs.

It's easy to assume Callaway is always testing new innovations and designs, but when is the decision made that an innovation is worth pursuing and what does the timeline look like from initial plan to a retail offering? How many designs end up not making to retail? Thanks for the insight!

The innovation and design process is constant whether it's the R&D team working on advanced materials or the operations team working on new manufacturing methods to enable new designs. Fair to say that most designs and ideas never see a commercialization track and never make it to retail. Almost all of our innovation stacks on the previous generation, for example the progression of CHROME SOFT from the initial version to the latest version where each generation builds upon the next. Meanwhile, the R&D team is working independently on new materials such as Graphene without a plan to bring it to market. If early testing and prototypes show measureable and demonstrable consumer benefit we then begin to talk and plan how to bring that innovation to market. Depending on the complexity the timeline can be as long as several years to as short as 6-7 months, more likely to be years though. The most important thing is to bring tech to market that improves the golfer's experience, that's what makes innovation worth pursuing.

Vince S.

Thank for the opportunity to ask some questions. I love the Chrome Soft and it is by far my favourite ball on the market, it I guess the next question is how do you move forward from here? Because it is such an exceptional ball how do you improve on that? I can really only think that greater spin separation between driver and wedge would be the only real answer? Is it possible to get a ball spinning less off the driver and more on the wedges? What other products do you benchmark against? Thanks for your contribution to Golf WRX! Adam

Thanks for your support on Callaway Balls and Chrome Soft is my favorite ball on the market too! Well, the good news on what you describe on what is next on Chrome Soft is exactly what we did in the new 2018 models as a result of bringing Graphene into the new Chrome Soft balls. We are certainly working on new prototypes that could be the next Chrome Soft and we do have some exciting ideas and concepts.

Happy to be here and participating.

Jason Finley

Have you considered not changing a ball from year to year?

Yes, all the time and in general our golf is not to change a ball every year. In many cases, our golf balls last 2-3 years. In some cases like after Year 1 of Chrome Soft and Y1 of Chrome Soft X we will replace after one year if we are ready to go with a new product with a superior performance. Our Supersoft, the 2016 Chrome Soft, and Warbird are all examples of balls not being replaced for at least two years.

Jason Finley

I’ve got a few questions... I’ve noticed Phil using Truvis during televised short game practice - is this a marketing move or is Phil a believer in the Truvis “focus factor”? Any chance he’d put it into play in a tournament round? I enjoyed reading the white papers on ball technology - can you speak to the approach in delivering forgiveness with the new ball. What makes the low compression Callaway ball more forgiving then other low compression balls on the market?

Hi, this is Dave B - regarding Phil playing TruVis, there's always a chance he would put it into play at some point in the future. It's definitely not a marketing gimic and we haven't "asked him" to put it in play. In fact, we've already had a few tour players independently put TruVis in play on their own initiative (Bryan, Schniederjans, Morgan Pressel to name a few). Probably the most noteworthy has been Tom Watson who plays it on the Champions Tour and who won the Masters Par 3 tournament with it this year! We're also getting requests every day from tour players asking about putting special versions in play.

Regarding your question on the Forgiveness white paper - first off, thank you for taking the time to read it! Compression is a key driving factor in balls being more forgiving when not struck in the center of the face. Supersoft is extremely forgiving and it's much softer compression than even Chrome Soft. The uniqueness of Chrome Soft, however, is that it's a highly advanced 4-Piece dual core design that doesn't sacrifice its "tour ball properties" while achieving its soft forgiveness.

There are now so many different models of golf balls on the market and consumers get confused keeping up. Do players really need so many different golf balls to choose from?

The market is definitely crowded and there are a lot of choices. But, the one thing about the market that our research has always shown us is that golfers generally stick to a general price range that they shop in so ultimately while we may have multiple models in our line, there are probably only 1 or 2 models in our line that golfers will be choosing between and most of the larger competitors would be the same. One of the hardest things about the GB category is that price is such a huge factor and in general as you go up in price, the performance is going to be better but not everyone is able to afford the higher prices and each golfer will make that decision for their game. So, my answer would be each golfer is not really shopping the entire market but within the price segment they are willing to shop which makes the size of the market much smaller.

Jason Finley

Did you guys ever expect the Truvis ball to get the cult following that it has as well as being so collectible? Thanks!

Now that's a really good question. And here's the straight answer. I did but Finley didn't. It took a lot of convincing from me to get him to buy in and he's supposed to be the brand marketing guy.

Above is a totally fake answer. The truth is we really didn't know what we had particularly at the beginning when we were just figuring out how to manufacture the ball with commercial scale. However, very soon after when we started manufacturing we knew we had something judging by the reaction inside the company. Most of us here at Callaway are avid golfers, and just like you guys, love to try out new stuff. Once we had TRUVIS up and running and before launch, the requests for samples internally took off. At that point we kinda knew we had something.

Regarding collectibles, I would say we are somewhat surprised as well. Although most of around here at the factory maintain display cases with all of the designs we have done over the past couple years. So from that sense, since we collect them it's not surprising that golfers do too.

Thanks for your interest and support.

Vince

What specific factors within the ball determine how it performs in the wind?

This is Rock. Speed, spin, launch angle and aero performance of HEX patter determine it. If it's under same speed, lowering the spin and trajectory (lower launch) give you longer distance. You don't want to go too low in spin and launch angle but you probably won't go especially with irons. Less spin into cross wind condition gives you straighter shot. Hitting slice shot when wind comes from your left will be the worst in terms of straightness or dispersion.

I currently game the ProV1 and have not yet tried the Chromesoft but am intrigued, what does Chromesoft offer that is different from other premium balls on the market that could compliment my game?

Hi, this is Dave B - I actually get that question a lot and would encourage you to try it for a round and see how it performs for you. To start from a technical perspective, Chrome Soft is a 4-Piece construction (unlike ProV1 3-Piece) with a unique, unparalleled dual core construction that employs graphene to help achieve a larger inner core and maximum compression differential between the inner and outer core layers. This compression differential acts to reduce spin on full shots (driver, long irons) while also increasing spin on shorter shots (short irons, wedge). There's nothing like this on the market. The mantle and cover layers also work together around this dual core to maximize the all-around performance. The cover is an extremely soft urethane molded very thin around the outside of the ball. This urethane allows us to achieve higher spin around the green where most of the scoring is done. The fact that Chrome Soft's ball compression is softer allows you to be more aggressive around the green and the softer cover ensures you get high spin and good check. Hope this helps and I hope you get the chance to trial it on-course this summer!

How much impact does feedback from your tour professionals have in regards to future ball designs?

This is Rock. BIG always. Some of those top ranked high skill athletes have amazing "sensors". These days we can measure many things, not like 20 years ago, such as spin, speed, launch angle, height of trajectory, spin decay....etc. But I still believe they are seeing sensing more than our R&D equipment detects. Also, designing golf ball is almost searching the best balancing point of distance, spin control, feel....etc. Their feedback on it is always useful.

Can you talk about the tour adoption of chrome soft and chrome soft x on both the pga tour and champions tour? Can you see a recreational player being fit into the chrome soft x if the driver swingspeed is less than 100 mph? I’m a big fan of the Truvis colors. Is there any correlation between right eye dominance and which color Truvis the golfer should select?

The Tour adoption on all tours on the new Chrome Models in 2018 has been fantastic. Rock and his team along with the Tour team did a great job working with our players to get this accomplished.

There are scenarios where someone swinging below 100mph would benefit from CSX. There could be some that see similar results to std CS but prefer a firmer golf ball.

We have not done any research around right eye dominance and the specific Truvis colors.

Jason Finley

How much impact does feedback from your tour professionals have in regards to future ball designs?

Depends on the ball for sure but on the Tour level Chrome Soft balls they are intimately involved along the way and the feedback they provide is extremely important as they are the ones who have to make a living for millions of dollars with the golf balls. Many, Phil at the top of that list, love to be a part of it along the way.

Jason Finley

How long does it take for a concept to go to production on average? For example, how long was the idea of implementing graphene discussed before it was actually developed. It always amazes me how much breakthrough technology that may never have been thought of before has actually been developed behind the scenes for years.

It really depends on the concept. For example, development of the injection molded, cross-linked, seamless urethane cover on the current CHROME SOFT and CHROME SOFT X has been a series of developments over the past 6 years because it involved many different facets from material development, to ball construction, to tooling and manufacturing methods, to developing the actual manufacturing equipment. Almost of the equipment we use here within our Massachusetts manufacturing plant is proprietary and developed specifically by us for us. So that takes time. To answer your question related to graphene, that was a multi-year process from when the R&D guys first identified the material, prototyping, manufacturing and eventually launching globally. Most of the ideas frankly never make it to market, that's the nature of R&D and innovation. It's may be cliche but we are committed to only bring innovation to market that benefits golfers in a demonstrable way - those are words that we constantly use to filter what we work on.

Vince S.

This is Rock. BIG always. Some of those top ranked high skill athletes have amazing "sensors". These days we can measure many things, not like 20 years ago, such as spin, speed, launch angle, height of trajectory, spin decay....etc. But I still believe they are seeing sensing more than our R&D equipment detects. Also, designing golf ball is almost searching the best balancing point of distance, spin control, feel....etc. Their feedback on it is always useful.

Can you talk about the tour adoption of chrome soft and chrome soft x on both the pga tour and champions tour? Can you see a recreational player being fit into the chrome soft x if the driver swingspeed is less than 100 mph? I’m a big fan of the Truvis colors. Is there any correlation between right eye dominance and which color Truvis the golfer should select?

The Tour adoption on all tours on the new Chrome Models in 2018 has been fantastic. Rock and his team along with the Tour team did a great job working with our players to get this accomplished.

There are scenarios where someone swinging below 100mph would benefit from CSX. There could be some that see similar results to std CS but prefer a firmer golf ball.

We have not done any research around right eye dominance and the specific Truvis colors.

Jason Finley

Thank you guys for fielding questions. Which model has greater numbers in play on tour?

What tour pro that you have worked with was/is the most particular about how their ball reacts/feels?

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

I've had a chance to use the chrome soft golf balls a few times on course and love them. This is more of a cosmetic issue for me but any chance you might make a basketball version rather than soccer?

Since I was born and raised in Springfield MA, the home of basketball, I love that idea, so you never know.

I will say that the manufacturing equipment developed to make the TRUVIS design has expanded capabilities, and without giving away too much, we do plan on offering some really innovative designs that are not only cool to look at but do aid in player performance by providing golfer's with distinct focal points and the appearance of a confidence inspiring larger golf ball.

The thing about the pentagon pattern (or soccer ball) is that it is symmetrical and lends itself to regular, repeatable patterns on the ball. The basketball weave is a bit more complicated, but as I said above, maybe someday.

Vince S.

Hi everyone,

We'll be wrapping up in a few minutes but please feel free to post any other golf ball questions you might have on the thread and Rock, Dave, Jason, Vince and our golf ball team will try to get through as many as we can.

We hope you had enjoyed it, we certainly did! Thanks to all of you for chatting with us this afternoon, and thanks to GolfWRX for hosting us!

- Team Callaway

Hi, This is Rock. Some of those top athletes are always looking for new ways to score well. Different type of shots, spin numbers, height of trajectory, very steep attack with big open face 60deg...etc. That's I'm always looking for and listening what they say. We bring those feedbacks and potential future trend back to our LAB then put together with our latest greatest materials, construction and manufacturing techniques.

What tour pro that you have worked with was/is the most particular about how their ball reacts/feels?

Hi, This is Rock. All of them! And I want them to be too because golf ball is the most important equipment in golf, at least I believe it. No golf if no golf ball.

Sometimes, their expression is unique and hard to translate to our engineering world. But having more and more particular comments on golf ball helps us to develop better golf balls.

I love the 2018 chromesoft ball. bought a sleeve of 3 to try out and a sleeve of 3 of the TP5's.....both were good but the Callaway just felt better all around and for me, that translates to confidence and them performance.

I would like to know what compression Phil Michelson uses, because I understand his is slightly lower than the retail version.....not sure if that is true or just hearsay.

With more direct to consumer balls coming to the market at cheaper prices for the consumer, where does Callaway feel the ball market will be in 5 or 10 years.

This is Dave B again - we tried to block off enough time to answer everyone's questions but obviously some slipped through the cracks, so I apologize for that. Your question is a good one and I'm sure there are varying opinions within Callaway on this topic, but I don't see significant changes in the coming years. Large manufacturers like Callaway and Titleist invest millions of dollars in Research and Development to come up with new materials, constructions, processes, etc., and also invest heavily in being able to manufacture them to the tightest tolerances. There will always be a demand for the highest quality product so I don't see the landscape changing much. Most of the direct to consumer brands leverage other company's technology, or tech from expired patents > 20 years old so you tend to get what you pay for.

Yikes...so almost all of the questions were answered...except the question on the KSig line of balls? That's kind of disappointing.

This is Dave B - again sorry for not getting to everyone's questions during this busy development period for us! Your question about the impact of the KSig ball is a good one and relates somewhat to the answer I just previously posted. The company that produced the original version of the Costco ball, that received so much notoriety, found it not a sustainable to manufacture at that cost, which was part of the reason it's no longer offered. It definitely "shook up" the industry by giving consumers the perception that they could buy urethane covered "tour-like" balls at a very inexpensive pricepoint. Unfortunately, that was misleading and unsustainable.

If anyone has had the opportunity to visit a golf ball factory you would understand the complexity and cost that goes into making high performance golf balls. We pride ourselves on offering top of the line, tour-validated, premium Tour Balls at a lower cost than the leading manufacturer. This was achieved through close collaboration between R&D and Operations and an overhaul of some out-dated methods to make way for new, cost-effective, innovative processes. Hopefully we've succeeded in this endeavor, as evidenced by bringing new products to market that differentiate themselves! That being said, I can also tell you that we're just scratching the surface and have a lot of innovation yet to come!

I love the 2018 chromesoft ball. bought a sleeve of 3 to try out and a sleeve of 3 of the TP5's.....both were good but the Callaway just felt better all around and for me, that translates to confidence and them performance.

I would like to know what compression Phil Michelson uses, because I understand his is slightly lower than the retail version.....not sure if that is true or just hearsay.

This is Dave B - answering one more question today before I get back to work.... Phil Mickelson plays the same commercial Chrome Soft X that you can find in stores in the silver box!

And thanks for giving Chrome Soft a try! I'm glad you like them and I hope you see your handicap start to drop :+)

Yikes...so almost all of the questions were answered...except the question on the KSig line of balls? That's kind of disappointing.

This is Dave B - again sorry for not getting to everyone's questions during this busy development period for us! Your question about the impact of the KSig ball is a good one and relates somewhat to the answer I just previously posted. The company that produced the original version of the Costco ball, that received so much notoriety, found it not a sustainable to manufacture at that cost, which was part of the reason it's no longer offered. It definitely "shook up" the industry by giving consumers the perception that they could buy urethane covered "tour-like" balls at a very inexpensive pricepoint. Unfortunately, that was misleading and unsustainable.

If anyone has had the opportunity to visit a golf ball factory you would understand the complexity and cost that goes into making high performance golf balls. We pride ourselves on offering top of the line, tour-validated, premium Tour Balls at a lower cost than the leading manufacturer. This was achieved through close collaboration between R&D and Operations and an overhaul of some out-dated methods to make way for new, cost-effective, innovative processes. Hopefully we've succeeded in this endeavor, as evidenced by bringing new products to market that differentiate themselves! That being said, I can also tell you that we're just scratching the surface and have a lot of innovation yet to come!

Thanks Dave. I haven't gone through the Cally financials but have looked at the Titleist numbers. Their marketing cost, which includes what's paid to tour players using their balls came down to something like $10/dozen which is obviously part of how Costco was able to get to such a low price point.

BTW, the Cally driver and XR irons in the bad work nicely with a KSig!

Thanks again.

This is Dave B - answering one more question today before I get back to work.... Phil Mickelson plays the same commercial Chrome Soft X that you can find in stores in the silver box!

And thanks for giving Chrome Soft a try! I'm glad you like them and I hope you see your handicap start to drop :+)

Thank you Dave. I loved your answers especially when it came to the "direct to consumer" brands and the Costco ball.

I am glad to see the same ball can be purchased in retail. The chromesoft will be my ball moving forward. might even be tempted to try the X!!

• 2 weeks later...