512 yard eagle stirred up some anger

Mikey5e

I nearly killed someone that way. I was 200 out and thought I was going to lay up with a five iron, which I hit about 185 usually.

When you lay up, you take a perfect unhurried unforced swing in perfect balance. I crushed it and watched it sail straight at a human head.

I yelled but he had no reaction time. It missed his head by less than a foot.

I have never again taken that chance, and I urge everyone to be wary of laying up too close, because in my experience that’s when it is dangerous.

Headed out soon, hope to knock one off some old lady's head on a par 3 for an ace - will provide full report! Hey, I don't hit all the par 3's in regulation. She's dead, but come on, she didn't have long to live anyway and it's an ace!

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Exaggeration, I never came even remotely close to what your over-blown story suggests,lol.

"hope to knock one off some old lady's head on a par 3 for an ace"

Really? I swear if one isn't careful they could confuse our two stories as being one in the same?

AGAIN:

1st ball = 5 yards short

2nd ball = trickled up on the green from 100 yds out and stalled.

Let me ask you, how do you compare that to hitting an old lady in the head and doing to herr what you mentioned? Man, how people exaggerate to benefit there story!

I nearly killed someone that way. I was 200 out and thought I was going to lay up with a five iron, which I hit about 185 usually.

When you lay up, you take a perfect unhurried unforced swing in perfect balance. I crushed it and watched it sail straight at a human head.

I yelled but he had no reaction time. It missed his head by less than a foot.

I have never again taken that chance, and I urge everyone to be wary of laying up too close, because in my experience that’s when it is dangerous.

Good advice!

Headed out soon, hope to knock one off some old lady's head on a par 3 for an ace - will provide full report! Hey, I don't hit all the par 3's in regulation. She's dead, but come on, she didn't have long to live anyway and it's an ace!

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Exaggeration, I never came even remotely close to what your over-blown story suggests,lol.

Really? I swear if one isn't careful they could confuse our two stories as being one in the same?

It's called exaggeration for effect. i.e. he was being sarcastic.

AGAIN:

1st ball = 5 yards short

AGAIN, we (all) got it. Most are questioning why you did it the 2nd time ?!?!?!

BTW, did you make the eagle ??? :taunt:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Sorry, couldn't help it.

It's called exaggeration for effect. i.e. he was being sarcastic.

AGAIN:

1st ball = 5 yards short

AGAIN, we (all) got it. Most are questioning why you did it the 2nd time ?!?!?!

BTW, did you make the eagle ??? :taunt:

I know I wouldn't hit into anybody on purpose, it's just not my style. As to why I did it the second time, I didn't think it was possible to reach the green under the conditions I was in. I guess I missed the sarcasm in your previous comment, no harm no foul, it's all good. I know no when I made this original post I set myself up for chastising, so none of my posts have been done with any malice, frankly I expected to get a little flaming. Nobody likes to get hit into even if just rolls up on the green, and fortunately that's all it did. I'm going to have to watch out for this more often. What threw me was the new distance I am getting on the draw I just converted to and the dryness of the course. Both of which have added significant distance to my shots.

Actually, the more I think about it, I'm impressed with the foursomes restraint of not taking my ball or throwing it off the green or something like that. One of the foursome said it was a great shot, and one gave me a little chastising which I know he had every right to do.

I enjoy good golf so the fact that he hit the green in two on a par 5 would have earned him a beer. Much rather see that than the guy waiting for the green to clear only to flub it

915 D3 8.5* Attas 7x
CB4 16.5* Kuro Kage HBP 80x
Sldr 19* Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8x
4,5 AP2 714, 6-9MB 714 C-Taper S+
46.8F,50.12F,53.7S,58.8M SM5 C-Taper S+
Ping Karsten TR Zing 34"

Topped a drive on a short par 5 and had 270-odd to the green from the rough.

Wow, that's a really, really short par 5.

Or a veeeeeeeery long top. Imagine this guy topping one at Carnoustie. : )

Forgot I'd posted in this thread. It was a bit of both. It IS a short par 5 (470 from the whites). Long hitters at our club will hit driver -> 7 iron. I'd normally hit driver -> 4 hybrid, assuming a not-terrible drive. My drive rolled out to around 200 from the tee, so not a complete top, but nowhere near where it'd normally be.

This is a long thread over something that didn't really happen.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It certainly did happen.

I just googled "self absorbed jackass who plays golf". There was a picture of you.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

PING G425 3W 14.5* & 5W 17.5*

PING G425 4H 22** & 5H 26* 

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10 

CLEVELAND  RTX Zipcore 58-6 

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

If I was in the group up front I'd have been fine the first time IF you made all the appropriate "Sorry - didn't think I could reach you, etc." comments.

The 2nd time I'd have been PO'd. I'm a calm guy and probably would have just said "Next time we'd appreciate it if you would wait until we're out of range". But I know plenty of people who would have pocketed the ball, launched it into the woods or hit it back at you with a 2 iron.

I would not have a problem with it as it rolled a good distance to get to that spot. It's difficult to predict the roll and a rolling golf ball hitting you isn't going to hurt.

If it landed pretty close to us, then I would be less than okay about it.

Either way, I wait to see if the player apologizes. Stuff happens on the golf course. If the player sincerely apologizes, then I know the golfer didn't mean to hit into us.

RH

I would not have a problem with it as it rolled a good distance to get to that spot. It's difficult to predict the roll and a rolling golf ball hitting you isn't going to hurt.

If it landed pretty close to us, then I would be less than okay about it.

Either way, I wait to see if the player apologizes. Stuff happens on the golf course. If the player sincerely apologizes, then I know the golfer didn't mean to hit into us.

RH

I haven’t rolled a ball into a group since I was 14, and none of my regular group has done it with me playing with them that I can ever remember. Nothing close really. A few (well, more than a few lol) wayward tee shots that go toward another fairway and require the obligatory “fore” sure, but hitting into people is something we never do. And the only time it happens to me is when I’m on a public course with golfers that quite frankly just don’t seem to care and get impatient with the backed up groups.

I only say all of that to give a reason why I think some people get annoyed by balls that even just roll into them. I think most good & responsible golfers find a way to make sure that doesn’t happen. So when it happens to them they can’t understand why. Especially when it’s a multiple time in a round thing by the same person.

I hit into a group by accident bc of a course blind spot and bc I was playing as a single I didn't see a group ahead of me. Once I realized it I drove straight to the green where they were got out and apologized. They were cool and offered if I wanted to join them... All ended well. Accidents happen. A second time is hard to defend.

Titleist TS3, Evenflow stiff, 9.5, A1
Callaway Rouge SZ w/AD-DI 7x, 13.5*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid 18*
Titleist AP3 718 4-pw (weakened 2*)
Bettinardi Studio 28 Arm Lock
Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Titleist ProV1x (2017)

Yelling Fore might have been a good thing to do. Other than that, I would of been saying great shot. Its not like you flew it into them.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Yelling Fore might have been a good thing to do. Other than that, I would of been saying great shot. Its not like you flew it into them.

Good point. It seems like many are commenting based on the false idea that I flew the ball into them. This was not the case, the first one rolled up 10 yards short of the green they were on and the second one actually did roll up on the green but gently. Not none of the balls flew into the green, or even close to that.

as unintentional as it was the guy in front might have been putting for eagle and you just threw him off, I wouldn't care but for etticate sakes just wait maybe 280+ I will hit but 260 can hit with a solid shot and roll. Some guys get all worked up but this stuff happens and it's usually a mistake .

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

A couple weeks ago I let frustration with slow play get to me. After 11 holes at a snails pace waiting on every shot I hit a terrible tee shot after waiting forever on the tee box on the 12th. Now really pissed off with 230 out of the rough to the front of the green and 200 to cover a water hazard I hit a 4 iron anticipating a flyer lie. Hit it perfectly. Flew it to about 10 feet in front of the green and it rolled just off the left side of the green pin high. Oops. They did get the message though and their speed of play increased dramatically after that. Hindsight 20/20 I shouldn't have hit. For whatever reason this has been the summer of slow play where I play. Can't wait for September.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

I unfortunately hit someone with a really big drive I had 2 years ago. They were a very slow twosome (1 person who could play and his friend who was absolutely terrible). We were playing in a 4 person scramble and waiting on them all day. The hole was a hard dog leg to the left. They were at the turn which is about 250 yards out. They both hit their shots and drove off. The other 3 players in my group all hit their drives, probably took a 5 minutes or so until I got up. Not thinking anything of it and since we were in a scramble, I tried to cut the corner. I hit probably the best drive of the day right over the corner of the trees. Again, not thinking anything of it, it was high fives and fist bumps from my partners. We got to the corner only to find that the group ahead of us made it about 75 yards down the fairway in that time. They were standing behind the cart talking when my ball hit one of them on the back of the hand on the fly. His partner was coming at us like he was going to hit me with a club. I apologized profusely and felt absolutely terrible. They went into the clubhouse and we finished our round. Which, admittedly, was hard as I couldn't shake the guilt. We only had 3 holes left and I immediately went in to check on him. It turned out he went to the ER with several broken bones in his left hand. I got his info and got ahold of him a few days later. I waited a few days, for one, to get my insurance company involved as I didn't know if I was liable or not (I was), and to also give him some time to cool down. My insurance claim paid out an initial $1k to cover lost wages and such. He was supposed to turn in his medical bills as well for further compensation, but I was informed he never did. When I spoke to him on the phone, he was very understanding and cool about the situation. He appreciated the call and my willingness to make sure any medical bills were covered. Since then, I haven't seen him around.

After the incident, I had plenty of time to reflect on the situation. At the end of the day, I wasn't being impatient. I genuinely thought they would have been long gone. But, looking back, I should have realized that they were extremely slow players and I should have made sure by driving out to the turn and checking. I was in a cart after all. Since then, I have been extremely careful about when I hit. Unless I am attempting to lay up specifically, I'll wait. If I know I am outside my range of hitting the green, I still won't just play the get it as close as I can expecting it to be 20 yards short. You just never know, you may catch a flyer, or a friendly bounce and end up in the group ahead.

Trust me, if you hit somebody, you will feel like an a**hole, for quite a while I might add.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Yeah, whatever. Should've yelled fore. But it rolled up to the green from 250 out. No biggie, someone who just found out there dog hates them.

I was in high school. Hit a normal one iron. It hit a cart path. I didn't tell fore. It rolled into the area of some guys buy the greenside bunker. He picked up my ball and gave it back to me. Yelled at me and called me a *****. He said if I was hitting driver, I should waited (350 ish par 4)

I showed him my bag. No driver. Told him it was a one iron and I didn't think I could hit it 250 much less 350. I gave him the ball back and told him to put it back.

Hr threw it in the weeds in front of us.

Some people suck.

Thanks for the stories, radiman & ivyguy, agreed the last thing a person wants to do is hit into somebody and especially actually hit somebody. On the par-5, 512 yards long, the fairways were very dry and it hadn't rained for a while making them very susceptible to huge rollouts. Fortunately for me, mine just gently rolled onto the green and didn't really threaten any injury at all. Nonetheless, I apologized and have now adopted a new policy it's better to be safe than sorry and wait till Green's clear before I hit. Otherwise if I want to hit I will lay up way short.

One time is not a big deal if it gets close but to poke one on the green the second time would have myself and my playing partners pretty bent. It’s not that hard to wait for them to get off the green especially having already rolled one up close a couple holes previously.

+1

Although for every story like this one, there are 65,944 others of ppl on par 5's waiting for the green to clear, and then proceeding to hit a 100 yd duff shot.

I got my first eagle of the year with some pretty good shots on a 512 yard par 5. My drive was about 260 yards, leaving about the same to the green for the second shot. Hit a low draw on the second shot landing about 75 yards in front of the green and rolled up 10ft past the flag. The problem was the foursome in front of us was still putting on the green. On a previous par 5 my second shot rolled up about 5 yards short of the green. One of the guys in the foursome got angry with me, very controlled though, and let me know how he felt. I apologized and told him it was my second shot and I didn't think I could reach the green from where I was. Standing over the putt, I was determined to put a quality stroke on the ball, and I did, sinking about a 10 footer.

Question:

How would you have responded if you were in the foursome putting out?

About the same. Annoyed, but congratulatory on the shot. But if you think you can hit the green, you need to let it clear. If you think you can get 5 yds short of green, let it clear.

• 1 year later...

Very true. I always lay up when it's busy just for this reason.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Red 6s

G430 LST 3 wood Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood Ventus TR Red 8s 

Callaway Apex Pro 3 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0311 XP 5 PX LZ 6.5

0311 P 6 P LZ 6.5

0317 T  7-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  52, 56

PM Grind 60

Lab Link 1 

Never understood these excuse threads, or coming back a year and a half later to follow-up unless it's to see if you can get others to side with you.

But here's my 2-cents worth.

In my 40-something years playing this great game I've twice done what you did twice in one round. Once when I was in high school trying to light a fire under the slow group in front of us (which resulted in getting chewed out by the pro after we'd finished playing), and once years later when after a poor drive I hit a Dustin Johnson-esque 350yard 3-wood that flew the green and almost took a couple of guys heads off (and they, rightly so, reemed me out for my transgression). In neither case did I think I had a reasonable shot at hitting the green, and instead only thought I might get close - but the pro's words that day rings in my ears to this day, "You mean you were laying up? I thought you knew how to play golf? You lay up to full wedge distance, you don't lay up where a hot one runs onto the green or rolls into the rough or the woods!"

To echo what's previously been mentioned, perhaps it's excusable the first time it almost happened, but the second time, any excuse blaming the course conditions that day are unexcusable. You knew how the course was running that day. Hitting someone aside, what if one of those guys were putting for their own eagle, and your ball had disrupted their play or hit their putt causing them to miss? ... And seriously, what's the hurry? There's nothing that aggrevates golfers than other players pressing them - and personally, nowadays when it happens to me, I don't get angry, or yell and scream, or start a confrontation, I just calmly grab a club, tee up their ball and hit it in the woods.

End of the day, I've had two golfing buddies hit on the course (one ended up in the hospital), and it's just not worth risking someone else's health and your own reputation and the hit your own pocketbook would take hitting someone as most courses will tell you that you alone are responsible (financially) for every ball you hit.