983K & E Players

sdbui2000

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just switched from a 983E 8.5 Stiff Stock Speeder to a 905R 8.5 with a Speeder 757 stiff.

I was hoping for more length, but it pretty much goes as far as my E did, for the most part I havent really played well so it is hard to say. And I used to work out 4 days a week when I played the E, so in reality I think it proabaly would go farther if I was in shape. I did gain much better accuracy with the R, and am glad I tried the 757, because it is a much better shaft. I actualy would like to try a 905S with the same shaft I have now. (I like the deeper face)

The K is a solid driver...i used to have one a while ago and it was a nice club..good look at address,sound,feel etc. The forgivness sucked tho, mis hit it a bit and fore left...i have to concentrate fully 100% to hit a good shot...also this club seemed a bit weak into the wind...no wind or down wind it was good/great but into the wind it was awful and i don't like being that misbalanced with my driver...i now play the ft-3 fusion 9.5 tour NV stiff...its stupid easy to hit and is soo forgiving.

i am on my second 983k that i bought at the end of last summer. in the last couple weeks i've tested the taylormade r7460, R7 425TP, 905R, S & T, Ping G5, FT3, srixon 506, SQ, Hibore & X460, MX500 and... i think that's it.. bottom line... i hit my 983 great and no other new driver outperforms it in ANY respect... not by the numbers or otherwise. the ballflight is perfect.

i like all 3 905's and would consider all of them but the fact is no driver out today is longer.

all the drivers that i tested perform well. i'm not trying to sell anyone else on my choice. get what you like and what works for you.

Played the K for about 2 years, and just got into the R a month ago. Hard to say how I feel about it. By the numbers and in practice sessions, the R seems to be just great for me. However, I have been struggling big time on the course. Really having a hard time with the major duck hook. It has shaken my faith in the R, and led me to consider going back to the K for a bit. It seems that the major difference for me is in the bigger and especially lighter head. I have to gear down to hit it pure. Of course, when I do swing easy, I absolutely kill the R! So hard to tell. Anyone else have this problem with the R?

After my practice session today, I have decided to stay with the R for a bit longer. I know that my numbers are right on the money, and have seen some good results with the R. Chances are, it's my questionable swing that's causing the problem, not the club. If all else fails, I can always just kill my 904f 3W!

I also switched from the 983K to the FT-3 Tour. I tried the 905T when it was launched and it didn't do enough for me to justify replacing the 983K. Having used titleist drivers since the 975D, i thought i'd hold out until the 905R was available, but tried some others with an open mind and just couldn't believe the distance & forgiveness i got with the FT-3. I've since tried the 905R, and it is a very nice driver, but will not be replacing the FT-3 anytime soon.

switched from the 983K 9.5* to a Ping 10* G2. Now playing a Bridgestone J33R 460 10.5*

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G30 LS Tec 10.5*, Tour 65[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 14.5* fairway [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 17*, 20* Hybrids[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G30 4-SW, CFS [/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=3]Mack Daddy PM grind 58*[/size][/color][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=3]Ping CTR Tomcat C heavy 34"[/size][/color][/font]

I had a 983E and then got swept up in the 460cc craze. First I bought a Mizuno MP-001: no pop off the face. Then I switched to a Ping G2: couldn't hit it straight consistently; I think the face is too flat. Then I demo'ed everything in the world (Bridgestone, FT-3, Taylors, Clevelands) and finally realized three things I didn't like about all the 460's: the round shape, the very high ball flight, and the massive look. I also realized that you only need the 460 if you don't hit the ball square--the extra head size only adds forgiveness.

So I bought a 905S 8.5 with a Fuji Pro 95 stiff shaft, and I'm killing it. It's longer than my 983, the ball flight is excellent, and it's going straight. I won't leave Titleist again!

Still got the 983E in the bag. Can not seem to shake it! I do think the Tourstage MARU was the best shaped driver head ever made, but man was that thing hard to hit... Currently testing an Ignite 410 Tour so perhaps the E will be dethroned!

Callaway TC Epic with GD DI7 

Callaway TC Epic 15* Fuji Pro 95
TM R7 ALE 7 Wood Fuji Pro 95
Titleist T200 2 iron / Titleist T100S 4 - 9 AMT White 
National Custom Works 49* 54* 59* DG S400
Scotty Camreon ButtonBack

I had the 983K for about 2 1/2 years. Solid driver but hit too many snap hooks. Been playing the 905R for about 3 weeks (5 rounds) and am hitting the ball much further and straighter. Saturdays round was probably one of the best driving rounds I have ever had - missed one fairway. I do not consider myself long, but actually hit 3 drives over 305 yds and averaged about 290 off the tee. This is going to be a great season!

I'm working right now with my K (stock speeder shaft - stiff flex), and my Cally X-460. I'm starting to wonder if I'm better off with a smaller driver head. The K is almost as long as the X, but the speeder shaft in the K seems to be more consistent than the NV65-S in my X-460. I'll wait until June when Cally has the X-460 heads in their Opti-fit system, and then look at switching shafts in the X. Until then, the K might see a lot of course time. :golfer: