2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD Shaft, Review with Multiple player Trackman Data

TollBros

High low spin cut

Bucket list ��

In all seriousness, I used to always draw the ball. It took me 2 years of continuous work to get where I can hit a low spin cut reliably. It was a very frustrating process.

In that process now after a lifetime of drawing the ball. Frustrating to say the least, but I can see the payoff in sight.

With the draw I'd get the occasional super low spin overcook left which would sometimes be OB. Devastating to the scorecard. With the cut, the miss is a slight push higher spin shot which stops where it's hit. It's a miss that I can manage and that keeps me out of trouble.

Playing exactly this shot right now, but not really high spin. Just a bullet cut that flies for days. I can hit a draw but, it's a bit of work.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

High low spin cut

Bucket list ��

In all seriousness, I used to always draw the ball. It took me 2 years of continuous work to get where I can hit a low spin cut reliably. It was a very frustrating process.

In that process now after a lifetime of drawing the ball. Frustrating to say the least, but I can see the payoff in sight.

With the draw I'd get the occasional super low spin overcook left which would sometimes be OB. Devastating to the scorecard. With the cut, the miss is a slight push higher spin shot which stops where it's hit. It's a miss that I can manage and that keeps me out of trouble.

Playing exactly this shot right now, but not really high spin. Just a bullet cut that flies for days. I can hit a draw but, it's a bit of work.

Assuming you both use hard body rotation to help square the face? That's where I'm at now, but that feeling takes some getting used to after years of flipping the face closed with arms/hands playing the classic inside-out draw. The beauty is though, once you achieve the feeling, you can go at it as hard as you want without fear of that OB overcook left shot.

Also, I've noticed pulling off a draw shot takes some definite work whereas that used to be a stock shot. Proof to me that changes are setting in!

Assuming you both use hard body rotation to help square the face? That's where I'm at now, but that feeling takes some getting used to after years of flipping the face closed with arms/hands playing the classic inside-out draw. The beauty is though, once you achieve the feeling, you can go at it as hard as you want without fear of that OB overcook left shot.

Also, I've noticed pulling off a draw shot takes some definite work whereas that used to be a stock shot. Proof to me that changes are setting in!

Yes, body rotation, not hands. I used to be a flipper bout 5 years ago. Much more consistent now, especially distance.

Keep doin work man, it pays off!

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

High low spin cut

Bucket list ��

So is this your primary driver shaft vs. V3 Pro Orange?

No sir. My gamer is a 2016 M1 460, 7.5 degree with Synergy Black 70tx. I can easily play XD or syn black. The black just gives me a little more height.

Yes, body rotation, not hands. I used to be a flipper bout 5 years ago. Much more consistent now, especially distance.

Keep doin work man, it pays off!

Correct. I've learned to take the hands out of the shot and rotate through hard. I've also changed path. I used to be 4-5 degrees from the inside and flip the hands. Now I'm more in the 2-3 degrees with a slightly closed face coming into impact which leaves the face about 1 degree open at impact giving me a little cut spin. I can just power this shot up the left rough line and cut it about 5-8 yards back into the fairway. If I miss a little, it's a tiny block but still almost always catches fairway or just a few feet in the rough. No huge misses.

Anyone tried one of these in their 3 wood?

You've got to have some speed to elevate it off the deck in a 3 wood. The shaft gets firm feeling and crisp in the fairway woods and isn't a very high launch combo. If you like to use a 3 wood off the tee exclusively or bring some head speed, there are other options. In a driver however it's fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Love reading all the reviews on this. However since I've put the Synergy Black in......I don't think anything can touch it. High low spin BOMBS

the XD isn't far behind it honestly. to me, the only real thing separating the two was that the XD felt a touch smoother, the Synergy felt a bit more stable; and the synergy was a bit lower launch for me.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Love reading all the reviews on this. However since I’ve put the Synergy Black in......I don’t think anything can touch it. High low spin BOMBS

Nothing is really going to combine the launch and mega low spin of Synergy Black. However, as Gio said, the closest thing to it is Kuro Kàge XD.

Love reading all the reviews on this. However since I've put the Synergy Black in......I don't think anything can touch it. High low spin BOMBS

Nothing is really going to combine the launch and mega low spin of Synergy Black. However, as Gio said, the closest thing to it is Kuro Kàge XD.

Shot you an email about this a little earlier, looking to find out some more stuff about the XD shaft and clarify any confusion with all the different models lol

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Ventus Blue TR 6X

3 Wood: Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/Ventus Blue TR 7x

5 Wood: Titleist TSi2 18* w/Aldila Rogue White 130 80 TX

Irons: Titleist T-200 3 iron w/Ventus Black 9TX

Titleist T-150 4-PW w/Project X 6.5

Wedges: SM9 Raw 52F & SM9 58T grind w/Project X 6.0

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

Never far away: Custom Slighter Tacoma

Shot you an email about this a little earlier, looking to find out some more stuff about the XD shaft and clarify any confusion with all the different models lol

Sounds good sir. I'll have a look.

You've got to have some speed to elevate it off the deck in a 3 wood. The shaft gets firm feeling and crisp in the fairway woods and isn't a very high launch combo. If you like to use a 3 wood off the tee exclusively or bring some head speed, there are other options. In a driver however it's fantastic.

Well I wish I'd have seen this post before ordering one! Lol! I do need to lower my spin alot on my 4 wood slot though so hopefully it works out...

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

Well I wish I'd have seen this post before ordering one! Lol! I do need to lower my spin alot on my 4 wood slot though so hopefully it works out...

That's why you need to purchase from us so that I can advise and fit you for the product. Otherwise you're flying blind.

That's why you need to purchase from us so that I can advise and fit you for the product. Otherwise you're flying blind.

Your right! I messed up. Would you say the XD plays similar to the tensei pro white in terms of launch and spin?

Your right! I messed up. Would you say the XD plays similar to the tensei pro white in terms of launch and spin?

Well after today I'm really looking forward to trying this shaft in the 3 wood. Its going in a taylormade m1 3HL that is new to me. I hit it for the first time with a ATX tour green 80x tipped 1 1/2" and it was money! I don't know it the XD will beat it but I'm going to give it a try!

No sir. My gamer is a 2016 M1 460, 7.5 degree with Synergy Black 70tx. I can easily play XD or syn black. The black just gives me a little more height.

Toll, you helped me with a Synergy 60tx and 70tx. I snapped the 60 and lost the club head. Would you say the XD is the closest to the Synergy? Or maybe a PO? I’m looking to replace the 60 with something as close as possible. I was the guy that tipped it 2” and loved it.

Toll, you helped me with a Synergy 60tx and 70tx. I snapped the 60 and lost the club head. Would you say the XD is the closest to the Synergy? Or maybe a PO? I'm looking to replace the 60 with something as close as possible. I was the guy that tipped it 2" and loved it.

That's exactly the reason I relieved myself of all my protos. You find something that works, and can never find it again. Something to consider with the Synergy Blacks... I experimented with one for a time and ended up selling it because the feel didn't match the performance... I like a tighter feeling shaft and the Synergy felt much too loose for my taste. It did not perform that way, but I just had difficulty reconciling the two. Also, when I built it, it CPM'd much lower than anything else in my arsenal. This in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean anything, really what you are reading is butt flex... And seeing that the overall shaft profile was not released were guessing... From what I could tell the cpm shows a very soft butt, as the shaft launched high I'd also wager it had a mid flex middle section with a stiff tip section. Essentially a Soft-Med-Stiff profile. And one that is likely a little less stiff to flex.

The other problem with proto's is that it may not be apples to apples, there could be more variance from shaft to shaft than found on final production lines.

With that said, I have never felt another shaft that performs like the Synergy. The closest performance wise was probably the Raijin and the AD-DI but they both felt tighter than the Synergy. I'm using a AD-TP in my 3w right now and it's a mid-high launch low spin beast.

The Pro Orange will give you the height and low spin but I had a hell of a time trying to get the swing weight right. I now have a T1100 in my driver and while it's counterbalanced some, it is not wreakin ghavoc with my feel the way the PO did.

Toll, you helped me with a Synergy 60tx and 70tx. I snapped the 60 and lost the club head. Would you say the XD is the closest to the Synergy? Or maybe a PO? I'm looking to replace the 60 with something as close as possible. I was the guy that tipped it 2" and loved it.

Toll has mentioned before the XD being closest to the Synergy. Cant recall if he meant in terms of feel and or in terms of pure beastly distance. I have the XD now and its crisp/tight(er) feeling, so my guess is it doesnt feel quite like a Synergy. I'll let the master Toll expound on that LOL...

Toll has mentioned before the XD being closest to the Synergy. Cant recall if he meant in terms of feel and or in terms of pure beastly distance. I have the XD now and its crisp/tight(er) feeling, so my guess is it doesnt feel quite like a Synergy. I'll let the master Toll expound on that LOL...

Kuro Kàge XD is going to be closest to the synergy black in terms of launch and spin. Feel is very different between the two with XD feeling more firm and linear. The XD will also launch slightly lower but not a ton.

That's exactly the reason I relieved myself of all my protos. You find something that works, and can never find it again. Something to consider with the Synergy Blacks... I experimented with one for a time and ended up selling it because the feel didn't match the performance... I like a tighter feeling shaft and the Synergy felt much too loose for my taste. It did not perform that way, but I just had difficulty reconciling the two. Also, when I built it, it CPM'd much lower than anything else in my arsenal. This in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean anything, really what you are reading is butt flex... And seeing that the overall shaft profile was not released were guessing... From what I could tell the cpm shows a very soft butt, as the shaft launched high I'd also wager it had a mid flex middle section with a stiff tip section. Essentially a Soft-Med-Stiff profile. And one that is likely a little less stiff to flex.

The other problem with proto's is that it may not be apples to apples, there could be more variance from shaft to shaft than found on final production lines.

With that said, I have never felt another shaft that performs like the Synergy. The closest performance wise was probably the Raijin and the AD-DI but they both felt tighter than the Synergy. I'm using a AD-TP in my 3w right now and it's a mid-high launch low spin beast.

The Pro Orange will give you the height and low spin but I had a hell of a time trying to get the swing weight right. I now have a T1100 in my driver and while it's counterbalanced some, it is not wreakin ghavoc with my feel the way the PO did.

I’ve definitely learned this the hard way now. I loved the Synergy and I typically play much firmer shafts (T1100 and ATMOS Black) along with recently learning I can tip shafts to get them to play stiffer. I’ll have a tough time finding something I liked that much and since I tipped it 2” I don’t think I have any way to salvage anything.

Kuro Kàge XD is going to be closest to the synergy black in terms of launch and spin. Feel is very different between the two with XD feeling more firm and linear. The XD will also launch slightly lower but not a ton.

Ok so the XD has the closest launch conditions but not feel. That’ll be the toughest part, I feel like although I have speed I wouldn’t consider it quick in transition so I think I loved that soft feel that somehow played firm. I guess I’ll have to play around some more but I appreciate the feedback.

Ok so the XD has the closest launch conditions but not feel. That'll be the toughest part, I feel like although I have speed I wouldn't consider it quick in transition so I think I loved that soft feel that somehow played firm. I guess I'll have to play around some more but I appreciate the feedback.

Have you ever tried the Kuro Kage Dual Core TX? Very smooth feel regardless of effort and will stand up to anything you throw at it. Responds aggressively to tipping. This was the original Low Spin King before Synergy or XD came out. You can probably find one for around ~$200 since it's been a couple years out now. Definitely worth your consideration if you haven't tried it already.

I've definitely learned this the hard way now. I loved the Synergy and I typically play much firmer shafts (T1100 and ATMOS Black) along with recently learning I can tip shafts to get them to play stiffer. I'll have a tough time finding something I liked that much and since I tipped it 2" I don't think I have any way to salvage anything.

Coop- I got ya. Sent you a PM.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

• 6 months later...

> @TollBros said:

> Rpete33 wrote:

>

>

>

> Anyone tried one of these in their 3 wood?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> You've got to have some speed to elevate it off the deck in a 3 wood. The shaft gets firm feeling and crisp in the fairway woods and isn't a very high launch combo. If you like to use a 3 wood off the tee exclusively or bring some head speed, there are other options. In a driver however it's fantastic.

Older thread, I know. But I love the XD in my driver. Any recommendations for something that feels similar that I can put in my three wood? I love the XD feel and want that in my 3 wood. Ping Tour isn't cutting it for me.

> @kygolfer81 said:

> > @TollBros said:

> > Rpete33 wrote:

> >

> >

> >

> > Anyone tried one of these in their 3 wood?

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > You've got to have some speed to elevate it off the deck in a 3 wood. The shaft gets firm feeling and crisp in the fairway woods and isn't a very high launch combo. If you like to use a 3 wood off the tee exclusively or bring some head speed, there are other options. In a driver however it's fantastic.

>

> Older thread, I know. But I love the XD in my driver. Any recommendations for something that feels similar that I can put in my three wood? I love the XD feel and want that in my 3 wood. Ping Tour isn't cutting it for me.

XD will also work great in the 3 wood, you just need to get the tipping right. If you'd like to get one set up, feel free to DM me.

• 8 months later...

driver shafts seems to be a “merry go round “ for me, a bit like putter grips in away.

ad di 8x , ad tp8 tx , etc , Fuji , pro 80tx , so on and so forth

my fav 3 have been

Mrc D+LTD 70tx , KK XD 70tx and prow 70tx

the prow has prob been the longest , and would say lowest launching

KKXD , easiest point and shoot highest launching and most anti left , so much so I’d actually like to turn it over a hair more

D+LTD 70tx, possibly the best all around , bit lower spin than the KKXD with that low launch characteristics , if I can turn the KKXD a bit more it might take its spot

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Had some more time with the KK XD TX today , no trackman data , only ball flight observations into the west texas wind........ Beat the PROW (I love this shaft, but the handle feeling gets a little away from me), slightly higher launch than the D+70TX , and what I really liked, If you really want to send one to the into the stratosphere, the club just stiffens up and allows that really +++ AOA. The handle on the KK XD 70TX, out, of them feel to me the stiffest and is the most Anti Left, a draw is tough for me to hit with the driver bc it turns into Hooking low spin monster destine for some sh*t I do not want to be in. The KK XD allows a slight draw for me when stomped on, so for now she's in the bag with the D+70tx waiting in the wings.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN