2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What shot is the best feeling in golf?

MtlJeff

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty hard to top an ace, but in terms of power and precision, striping a 3 wood to 10 or so feet is pretty awesome.

I still think hitting a putt with the exact line and pace I want is something to appreciate every time it happens. Very rewarding.

For me, nothing matches the feel of a longish putt dropping in the hole. Especially when an opponent or partner is it in tight.

Great long shots are nice, but unless they are REALLY close, I can still find a way to screw up the hole.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Eh, not for me.

Would much prefer a middled strike on a properly milled blade putter.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Nutted laser straight low traj 2i off the tee. Feels so good on the hands it gives me a woody.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

I'd have to go with any great shot after an absolute terrible shot.

Example -- last week I came to a short dog leg left par 4. I took out driver to try to hit a high draw over the trees and get up by the green.

I literally drop kicked my driver about 4 inches behind the ball (ouch) and the ball skirted no more than 70 yards.

Being so mad, I irrationally pulled out my 3 iron to try for a hero shot. Was 75% sure I couldn't hit it high enough to get over the trees in my way.

Absolutely flushed a big high draw over the trees and it worked it's way right up to the green. What a feeling.

A great shot after a terrible (I'm talking really terrible) not only saves the hole, but the entire round.

I'd have to go with any great shot after an absolute terrible shot.

Example -- last week I came to a short dog leg left par 4. I took out driver to try to hit a high draw over the trees and get up by the green.

I literally drop kicked my driver about 4 inches behind the ball (ouch) and the ball skirted no more than 70 yards.

Being so mad, I irrationally pulled out my 3 iron to try for a hero shot. Was 75% sure I couldn't hit it high enough to get over the trees in my way.

Absolutely flushed a big high draw over the trees and it worked it's way right up to the green. What a feeling.

A great shot after a terrible (I'm talking really terrible) not only saves the hole, but the entire round.

When i was still a beginner, been playing maybe a year or so, I was attending a half-day clinic/group playing lesson from a buddy of mine who's a teaching pro. Everybody there was way better than me and some of them were plus-handicaps

After all the classroom and driving range stuff we all went out to play five holes, the pro would play one hole with each foursome and he also teamed us up to compete within the foursomes. I was so mortified to be playing with these sluggers I cold-topped my opening tee shot (on a 385-yard Par 4) into the rough maybe 30 yards in front of the tee box.

I sort of hustled up to the ball after everyone hit and just banged my 3-wood into the back of the ball as hard as I could. It came screaming out ankle-high and must have rolled 200 yards. So we get up in the fairway, my ball is near where all the big hitters had hit their tee shots (from the back tees). I hit first and caught an 8-iron perfectly. It hit on the green, rolled about 10 feet and into the cup for a birdie.

Best.

Birdie.

Ever.

No shot I've hit since then has ever quite matched that 8-iron. Also, since I was a 27-handicapper playing a bunch of scratch guys the pro had said I got two strokes on that opening hole. One of my opponents said, "Nice net eagle" and I corrected him, "No, that's a nice net double-eagle". He was not amused.

I would say, in no particular order; solid 3-wood into a par 5, a 20 ft putt that you know is going in after 10 ft, or shaping a Iron into a par 3 to a few feet.

There's definitely something really great about hitting a precise iron into a 200+ par 3. Especially when you have committed to some kind of trajectory and execute it

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I've been playing 15 years now.....And i am ready to state that for me, there is no better feeling in golf than hitting a 3 wood off the deck and hitting a par 5 in two. Let me state the reasons:

1) It's the longest club you hit off the deck, so hitting it solid and accurate and watching it rocket off a long way is a testosterone fueling endeavor

2) It's one of the hardest clubs to hit off the deck, so there is satisfaction in that

3) Hitting a par 5 in two is pretty much an automatic birdie, so that feels nice.

There are probably other reasons. Anyway, yesterday i finished my round (caution, non-passive brag alert coming) by hitting a 269yd 3 wood to about five feet.

I can't think of another shot that would've felt better

It’s the First time I opened this thread, but it’s funny you mention the same shot. I was having a rough day off the tee yesterday but on the par 5 16 I hit a nice drive and had 267 to the middle of the green. Slight dog right, Slightly uphill, wind helping a bit, and a perfect lie. Just destroyed my 3 wood.

Majestic medium high 3 yard cut straight at the pin. I couldn’t see the result from the fairway because of the elevation change but it felt and looked incredible. I guess I hit it a bit TOO well. It Ran through the green and just off the back. It Didn’t really matter though. The shot from the fairway was so pure it just made the round. It may have not been “perfect” because of where it ended up, but it was perfect in every other way.

I’ve driven short Par 4’s a few times, but I totally agree that a perfectly struck fairway wood from the fairway is something special.

I would say, in no particular order; solid 3-wood into a par 5, a 20 ft putt that you know is going in after 10 ft, or shaping a Iron into a par 3 to a few feet.

There's definitely something really great about hitting a precise iron into a 200+ par 3. Especially when you have committed to some kind of trajectory and execute it

How about hitting a 317 yard par 4 on the fly and 12 foot for eagle? ....and of course missing the Putt! LOL! Lord I can’t putt.

Last fall. Tees in the background. A Bit of an elevation change, but still one of my favorite shots in 35 years of playing.

How about hitting a 317 yard par 4 on the fly and 12 foot for eagle? ....and of course missing the Putt! LOL! Lord I can't putt.

Last fall. Tees in the background. A Bit of an elevation change, but still one of my favorite shots in 35 years of playing.

It's awesome no doubt! But i still for some reason don't get the same joy out of hitting drivers. I've hit a few par 4's in 1 , including most recently late last year in Vegas, but it just doesn't do it as much for me. Driver feels a bit more like just a caveman action, there's not a lot of artistry in it

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

For me it is hitting a perfectly planned and executed Pelz short shot. There is one hole in particular that I play often. The 2nd shot is generally around 80-90 yards and slightly downhill. The pin is generally in the front and there is a backstop behind that if hit correctly the ball will funnel down. I started with a full GW but sometimes it would go too long and other times it would spin way too much off that hill.

So I then started hitting the 9:00 PW instead. When hit correctly that shot feels so nice and it will hit right in the middle of that hill and since it has very little spin it will slowly trickle down. Nothing more satisfying to me

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

I've been playing 15 years now.....And i am ready to state that for me, there is no better feeling in golf than hitting a 3 wood off the deck and hitting a par 5 in two. Let me state the reasons:

1) It's the longest club you hit off the deck, so hitting it solid and accurate and watching it rocket off a long way is a testosterone fueling endeavor

2) It's one of the hardest clubs to hit off the deck, so there is satisfaction in that

3) Hitting a par 5 in two is pretty much an automatic birdie, so that feels nice.

There are probably other reasons. Anyway, yesterday i finished my round (caution, non-passive brag alert coming) by hitting a 269yd 3 wood to about five feet.

I can't think of another shot that would've felt better

I had that experience today. For me, the sound, feel and trajectory of a pured 4 iron is just incredible. Today however, I hit the best three wood of my life and the momentum it gave me as I closed out my best ever round was something I've never experienced before.

I was pulling 4 iron for my normal lay up just shy of the green and I suddenly thought "3 wood." No idea why. I hit it great but given the dustay, wind and uphill to the green it wasn't ideal given the forced carry. But I took the 3 wood and absolutely creamed one. Without thinking I was walking after it and there it was bang on distance, 7 feet for eagle in line with the pin.

Felt so effortless. Made me feel incredible. Playing partners were stunned, only the scratch guys can usually reach comfortably in 2.

Best birdie I've made on that hole.

For me there is 3

1) Bunker Shots

2) Watching my buddies rip a drive and i carry it past them

3) Hitting a fairway wood/hybrid into a par 5 and carrying it there

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Any hole out from off the green has to be the best feeling in golf. A close second for chip/pitch/shot to a tap in. Even a long lag to inside 1 ft, I guess. It’s just nice not to have to stress over a 3-8 footer.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

Not always but more often these days I strike the ball and haven’t flipped the head. I’m still loaded and turning fast thru impact. I hit a couple of blade 4 irons last time out right on the screws. I damn near drooled in my shoes. That’s my fav - blade long iron hit flush.

Worst. Easy. Hate this one. Cannot believe I do it.

Hit a putt fat. Double ugh. Makes me want to chew right through the shaft.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W