Hybrids disappearing? What to use between 3 iron and 3 wood

odshot68

I actually just took out my hybrid for a 3 iron and go 4 wood 3 iron.

I just tend to have more curvature with hybrids and woods then irons. Hybrid is obviously more forgiving, but I don't necessarily want more air under my hook swing. With the 3 iron I feel less comfortable with a 200 carry over water but I'll take that shot out of my bag so that I don't have to worry about the big hook with a club that is supposed to be my go to for a narrow tee shot. Also like the 3 wood a lot more for recovery shots.

I'm sure there is a hybrid that would be more comfortable and not hook for me, but I don't have the time or funds to hunt it down.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually just took out my hybrid for a 3 iron and go 4 wood 3 iron.

I just tend to have more curvature with hybrids and woods then irons. Hybrid is obviously more forgiving, but I don't necessarily want more air under my hook swing. With the 3 iron I feel less comfortable with a 200 carry over water but I'll take that shot out of my bag so that I don't have to worry about the big hook with a club that is supposed to be my go to for a narrow tee shot. Also like the 3 wood a lot more for recovery shots.

I'm sure there is a hybrid that would be more comfortable and not hook for me, but I don't have the time or funds to hunt it down.

That’s understandable and some people tend to hook hybrids for whatever reason. If the hybrid is the only club that is hook prone there’s a good chance it’s just that particular hybrid.

The anser hybrid is a few years old but has a reputation as anti hook. Pretty sure Kucher is still playing it.

not sure if your Signature is up to date, but cheers for playing what works for you.

Nice WITB

Titleist Tsr2 9*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 15*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

There's no right answer here. How big is the gap between your 3w and 3i? How often do you have this shot? Is it even a gap that needs filling? How regularly do you hit a 3 iron anyway? Do you need something for tee shots or long second shots? If it's for use from the tee then maybe get a driving iron (if you like P790 then have a look the UDIs) to fill the "gap" and replace your 3 iron at the same time. If it's for use from the fairway then a hybrid will be better for most players, but a 5w might be even better for your swing. Forget about the distance gap and think about the shot you need the club for instead.

Taylormade Stealth 9* Driver | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 65g

Taylormade Stealth 15* 3 Wood | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 75g

Taylormade Stealth 19* 5 Wood | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 75g

Taylormade P790 UDI | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 90g

(Mizuno Fli-Hi 19* 3 iron | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 90g)

Taylormade P770 Irons 4-PW | KBS Tour 120S
Taylormade HiToe Wedges 52* & 58* | KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 120S
Scotty Cameron 2014 Newport

Not sure why so many people have troubles hitting their hybrids left. I'm a relatively fast swinger (~108) and I play an R-Flex shaft in my hybrid and don't have a problem with snap hooks like I sometimes do with driver. My natural shot shape is straight or a draw with all of my clubs.

I like my 3h from the tee, fairway, and rough. I've not hit a driving iron, but my last set had a 3i and I only liked it off the or for punch-outs.

Golf club design and sales are fairly cyclical. Manufacturers need it to be that way, to divert the buying public's attention to something they don't currently have. In a few years they'll be back and touted as the latest and greatest or updated for the modern golfer and players will wonder what they did without them, much like people are doing with driving irons right now.

High lofted fairway woods work best for me. I don't know why, but they go higher and straighter compared to hybrids and irons. I tried hybrids, but had inconsistent results and booted them out of the bag, several times.

I think a lot of the hooks from hybrids are from hitting them off the toe. It's amazing how much spin you can get from the gear effect. For some reason that doesn't seem to be a problem with the woods.

It’s really about trajectory

High=FW Wood

Medium=hybrid

Lower =driving iron/ crossover

Slightly lower=GI iron

Lowest=players iron

Obviously pros hit the ball hard and generally higher so they have choices based on their game and the driving irons seem to work well for them. For the average guy like me I go 3 wood, Heavenwood then either 9 wood or 4 hybrid. Liking the 4 hybrid for the rough and versatility.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

It’s really about trajectory

High=FW Wood

Medium=hybrid

Lower =driving iron/ crossover

Slightly lower=GI iron

Lowest=players iron

Obviously pros hit the ball hard and generally higher so they have choices based on their game and the driving irons seem to work well for them. For the average guy like me I go 3 wood, Heavenwood then either 9 wood or 4 hybrid. Liking the 4 hybrid for the rough and versatility.

Which 9 wood?

I realize “better golfers” was mentioned in the first post, but MOST golfers do not have the swing speed or consistency of strike needed for a driving iron or even a 3 iron from a set. Very few can elevate them enough to be useful in the bag.

Hybrids are a wonderful club for most golfers. They definitely aren’t “disappearing”. I think most golfers should have both a 3 and 4 hybrid and then go to the 5 iron.

People seem to be forgetting the other big benefit. Ever try to hit a 3 iron or driving iron out of the rough? Totally Worthless.

I realize “better golfers” was mentioned in the first post, but MOST golfers do not have the swing speed or consistency of strike needed for a driving iron or even a 3 iron from a set. Very few can elevate them enough to be useful in the bag.

Hybrids are a wonderful club for most golfers. They definitely aren’t “disappearing”. I think most golfers should have both a 3 and 4 hybrid and then go to the 5 iron.

People seem to be forgetting the other big benefit. Ever try to hit a 3 iron or driving iron out of the rough? Totally Worthless.

You know I'm not sure what people mean by "Better Golfers". For me, I think of score. Better golfers are those who score better.

Check out the Tour Edge CBX hybrids. Regional TE rep Jake touts them as left-proof. The CBX series has set loft - nonadjustable. This means you don't have the extra shaft weight of an adjustment lug, which could cause the lighter toe to close down prematurely.

Also, standard hybrids tend to have a bit of offset, which could contribute to left misses. The hybrids with pro or tour heads tend to be more straight-faced.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I think it's peer pressure, there has always been a stigma that those who used hybrids were either old, didn't have the swing speed or were not good enough to swing their long irons. I'm seeing a lot of bags that don't include hybrids, just woods and long irons. I'm not pulling the hybrids out of my bag, scores > ego and I can't hit an irons near the distance I hit my 3h.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Hit my PXG 4i like a total idiot this weekend that cost me 2-3 strokes in our club championship easy.

So it'll be back on the BST soon and my sweetums will be back in the bag. I'll go full out LPGA bag with 4 headcovers.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Think "cut" and hybrid will go higher and straighter.

Start with a neutral hybrid.

You can reconfigure PXG weights for a fade bias. You can use lead tape on other hybrids.

I have a PXG 25, and thinking about a 22.

For me, it took finding the right shaft to get it to work - 70g weight and high launching shaft is what works for me.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

IMHO a player needs to spend the time to learn how to set up to a hybrid.

Maybe it's not that intuitive, but the ball position that works best with a hybrid is right in the middle of my stance. This is different from either fairway woods or long irons where a slightly forward ball position works better.

When I set up with my 3h or 4h I have to remind myself to treat it like a 9i with a longer shaft. Ball position in the middle, stand a little further from the ball to allow for shaft length, then make a controlled swing.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I feel like better players are using less and less hybrids. A miss with a three iron just comes off slightly short but close to the target line. A hybrid miss can snap left and in trouble. I don't have swing speed for a two iron though. My 3 iron is a p790 3 iron dgs300. What club to fill the gap?

Better players miss IS NOT a "snap left and in trouble."

Your problem is you're comparing yourself to the pros, and you issue is LOFT.

If more people watched the Champions Tour they'd see more hybrids being used instead of long irons and utility irons.

I feel like better players are using less and less hybrids. A miss with a three iron just comes off slightly short but close to the target line. A hybrid miss can snap left and in trouble. I don't have swing speed for a two iron though. My 3 iron is a p790 3 iron dgs300. What club to fill the gap?

Better players miss IS NOT a "snap left and in trouble."

Your problem is you're comparing yourself to the pros, and you issue is LOFT

So glad you could add helpful advice. Eat a dick!

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, 60T (@61)

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

From original post "I don't have swing speed for a two iron though." I am guessing you are looking for off the tee or 2nd shot on a par 5 or long par 4, but not necessarily to land soft and hold a green. Try the S400 in your hybrid to add some feel of heft in the club for tempo or try a fairway wood, as longer length shaft will assist with the swing speed situation. Good luck in your search.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

I feel like better players are using less and less hybrids. A miss with a three iron just comes off slightly short but close to the target line. A hybrid miss can snap left and in trouble. I don’t have swing speed for a two iron though. My 3 iron is a p790 3 iron dgs300. What club to fill the gap?

I used to think this way and carried long irons even though I knew I didn’t hit them high enough. If I’m swinging well a hybrid is much more effective. If I’m swinging poorly I don’t really care, I’m shooting over par or failing to qualify if I’m in a tournament. May as well take advantage of the rounds where you swing well instead of handicaping myself from 200+ every single round. I dropped the 4 iron a few weeks ago in favor of 2 hybrids.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I'm getting close to making a decision. I need something high off the deck into the greens. I am thinking a 818h2 21 degree with a +1" shaft (or 19 with +1/2" shaft) to make it fly longer and higher for off the deck. Going to stick with Tensei Pro White 90 shaft.

2024 WITB: 

TM MINI DRIVER??

I'm getting close to making a decision. I need something high off the deck into the greens. I am thinking a 818h2 21 degree with a +1" shaft (or 19 with +1/2" shaft) to make it fly longer and higher for off the deck. Going to stick with Tensei Pro White 90 shaft.

Try the evenflow blue too. Was much higher flying for me.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Try the evenflow blue too. Was much higher flying for me.

I did. It reminded me of the di shaft feel wise. Just didn’t work for me.

2024 WITB: 

TM MINI DRIVER??

i do carry 19º iron AND 18º hybrid in my bag. my hybrid is not for gapping distances but more for where the ball lies. thick rough. fescue. fairway bunker etc. anything else: 19º iron. i usually don't believe the big religion of 'single club for single distance'.

__

DR Callie Epic Flash 💎💎💎 8.5º TC + House of Forged Ballistic LD-S

3W Royal Collection CV Pro 13° + LAGP House of Forged Tour Limited 70X 

5W PXG 0341X Proto 18º + LAGP HoF Platinum 70S 

HYB Royal Collection 505V BBD 18º + NS PRO 950FW X, PXG 0317X 21º + Fujikura Pro 95i Tour Spec X

DI Nike VFP #4 + KBS Tour HYB Proto 95X, Callie X Forged ‘18 #3 + Modus Tour 120X

IRONS Callie X Forged 2013 5-PW MMT 95S

WEDGES Scratch 8620 47º, 50º, 55º STI 60º, Edel 60º

PUTTERS Nike Method 001, Edel The "Gold" Brick, John Byron Winner Seven

I've gone Driver, 16.5* 4 Wood, 21* 7 wood, 20* hybrid. The wood has more loft, but is longer and has more mass so I get about 15-20 more yards than the 3 hybrid.

Ping G25 9.5º Evenflow Riptide 60 6.0

Ping G25 16.5º 4w

Ping G20 20º Hybrid 
Ping i20 4-PW CFS Stiff
Ping Glide 50º, 54º, and 58º
Ping Redwood Anser Starshot / BeNi Scottsdale Anser

Various Ping Putters