Best Shot You Hit by Accident

Twism86

I played a quick 9 this morning to start my bachelor party weekend. Im about 50 yards from the green so I grab my 50* gap wedge and have at it. Great shot, high in the air, tons of spin and lands just past the pin and spins back to 6"!!! Tap in birdie.

I go to put the club back in my bag and realized I actually hit my 60* lob wedge, which I suck at hitting....... Im good with the 50* and confident with it, but I think this goes to show you that confidence, even when holding the "wrong" club makes a big difference in your shot making.

I also realized its good I grabbed the "wrong" club because if I hit my 50* with the same power that ball would have sailed over the green!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would consider that a bad shot with a good result but I get your meaning.

Good Shot hit by accident - 8 iron 30 yards directly over the pin. Somehow grabbed my 8 iron instead of my Pitching Wedge. It really as a beautiful shot though.

Accidental bad shot that ends up good - The classic worm burner that rolls out 140 yards and stops near the pin. Done it more than a few times in my golfing career.

par 3, 155 yards....pull a 7 iron. Hit is solid, but it starts right headed for the huge oak tree right off the green.....ball hits a branch halfway up the tree and shoots left onto the green, 5 feet from the hole....

the greeenskeeper yells out "nice shot!!!"....he didn't see it hit the tree.....

missed the bird

Hmm...

In 10th grade I tried to get across in two on a par 5, with water fronting the green. I wasn't very good at the time, but had managed a fairly good drive and had a slight chance of getting over, despite never having done so to date at that point. I had intended to go straight over, but instead hit a quacker left that ran down the edge of the hole, straight onto the covered bridge crossing the pond, up the cement path, and leaked out onto the mowed chipping area left of the green.

Success. :russian_roulette:

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Hmm...

In 10th grade I tried to get across in two on a par 5, with water fronting the green. I wasn't very good at the time, but had managed a fairly good drive and had a slight chance of getting over, despite never having done so to date at that point. I had intended to go straight over, but instead hit a quacker left that ran down the edge of the hole, straight onto the covered bridge crossing the pond, up the cement path, and leaked out onto the mowed chipping area left of the green.

And then you....

Hmm...

And then you....

After I got laughed at for a while, I parred the hole.

I wasn't that good at the time.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

95% of the time when I hit a low chip that stops by the hole, my eyes are closed because it felt like I bladed it over the green and I don't want to see where it went.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

I hit a huge block with a 5 wood that managed to catch a huge gust and landed 2 feet from the hole... made the putt for my first eagle

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil 95

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

In college I was playing 18 by myself when my coach drove up. It’s a dogleg right that requires a cut if you hit driver. As a stock drawer I rarely did that and would usually club down to 3W or 5W. Well I pulled probably the 3, and my coach insisted I hit driver. Well not surprisingly I hit a double cross and pulled it into 10’s fairway. So I still have probably 190 or so and I can either try a hero shot over the trees, and go at the green. Or I can hit it up around 10 tee and then have a clear pitch to the green. Well I take the safe route and try to hit up toward 10 tee but my back foot slips and I hit a screaming cut that I think is going to hit the trees but it just clears. So I’m thinking I’ve gotten lucky and put it just in front of the green. My coach yells great shot and I’m laughing to myself. But then I get up near the green and the members on the patio are applauding. I look up and the ball is like a foot from the cup.

Thought I was 120 out in the rough (9 iron distance for me), was really about 160 out (5 or 6 iron for me). The green was oddly sized/shaped, which was visually deceiving on the distance, and it was in pre-golf GPS days on a course with few markers. I completely bladed the shot with the 9, it rolled all 160 yards right into the hole for an eagle.

I’m still learning yardage’s with my clubs but once I had about 165 to the center of the green on a par 5 for my third shot. Decided I was gonna hit 6 iron and hope to be middle to back because there was water short. Absolutely pured the shot and when I went to put the “6 iron” back it was already in the bag. So I looked at it and it turned out to be my 8 iron! Still 3 putted from about 20 feet . Damn slopey greens!

Was in heavy tree trouble on the right hand side of a par 4 at a local course. Thought to myself "Do the smart thing, chip out sideways and you can wedge it up and try save par, make 5 at the worst". I was about 100 yards out, tried to chip it out on a 45* angle.... and cold shanked it. Lord knows how, but it didnt hit a single limb, and ended up rolling out about 15m short of the green with an easy chip up that resulted in a "regulation" par. My playing partners were not terribly impressed.

Had an impossible situation that only a lucky flop shot could save with my opponent having made his par 3.

Left my 60 degree wedge back at the practice green. I ran back for it with the cart and when I returned of course, everyone else had holed out and the group on the tee was waiting so I rushed. The lie was uphill to a mound then down to the pin. I had to swing hard and I peeked. I bladed the shot hard and it was sailing well past the rear bunker when it directly hit the cloth of the flag. The flag gathered it in like a catcher's mitt and the ball dropped straight down 15 inches away for a tap-in.

I'd rather be lucky than good!

Had a shot in league play last year: 140 yards in, over water for most of it. Hit a 9 iron fat and was convinced it was heading into the pond, but I got just enough on it to catch the rock border surrounding the water. Took a huge hop off the rock, onto the green and ended up about 5 feet from the pin. I remember that shot really well, but don't remember if I made the follow up putt.

Downhill par 3 in Dallas, Texas. I hit my wedge and chunked it. Annoyed, I threw another ball down, took an angry swing, and dunked it for a par. Nothing like a hole in 3.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 60TX
Ping G425 Max 16.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX 
Srixon ZX UT 2/3/4 - KBS C Taper Lite X
Srixon ZX7 5-P - KBS C Taper Lite X
Titleist SM8 Raw 50/54/58 - TI DG S400
Scotty Cameron 2020 Newport 2 

My wife likes to brag she got a birdie and a bunny on the same hole.

On our old home course there were a couple of holes that backed up to the nearby open fields in which the jack rabbits would come out of to lay on the cool grass in the late afternoon sun or munch on the fresh fairways.

And this one day, after carefully lining up her tee shot, my wife takes the golfer pose as she admires her arching shot straight down the middle - when it strikes a bird flying across the fairway, and the balls falls from the sky and takes one bounce before hitting one of the rabbits in the head.

While the bird wobbled in flight momentarily, it took back to it's chosen path and flew away unharmed.

Meanwhile the jack rabbit, which are gangly creatures with unusually large eyes (that tend to look at bit bug-eyed), fell over from being hit as if shot by a gun, and then jumpd to it's feet looking around, like "WTF just hit me?", and seeing this little white orb rolling away from it took off after it like he was going to hurt it or something.

My wife and I stood there just laughing our arses off

My best 'accidental' shot came on a par-5 that had large steep sidehill to the right of the green. The miss was to hit it into the sidehill, but I caught my wedge thin and landed it near the top of the sidehill. The ball banked down and nailed the pin at just the right speed to drop into the hole. Eagle! If the flagstick wasn't in the way I'm in the ditch on the left side of the green.

My best 'accidental' shot came on a par-5 that had large steep sidehill to the right of the green. The miss was to hit it into the sidehill, but I caught my wedge thin and landed it near the top of the sidehill. The ball banked down and nailed the pin at just the right speed to drop into the hole. Eagle! If the flagstick wasn't in the way I'm in the ditch on the left side of the green.

And that’s probably about how golf was invented! Some Scotsman having a laugh with his lady.

It wasn't my shot, but maybe the luckiest shot I've ever seen. Short downhill par 3 and my playing partner shanks his wedge and the ball hits the roof of a covered bridge that sits in front of the green to the right. Ball bounces off the roof a mile in the air and lands on the green and rolls inside of a foot. Every time we play there now, we try to replicate that shot but have yet to even come close.

Once hit my driver 300 yards, but realized it was my hybrid.

Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

Just the other day hit an approach to a back pin just off the back of the green. Had about 20 feet left. Had the wife hold the pin for me since it was a pretty flat putt. I absolutely crush the putt and immediately off the putter face I'm pissed and say "oh my god, are you f'n serious" and start walking to go at least 20 feet past the hole on the other side. It hits the back of the hole dead center at about 70 mph and bounce-drops in. Wife is baffled by my initial reaction and says "great shot!" Haha, I'll take it.

Hammer 6.5*
GX7 12*
Warrior Golf 3-PW
Squarestrike UW
Alien 56*
Double Duty Putter

The 18th hole at our club plays straight up a steep hill. A good tee shot will usually leave about 100 yards or so, which typically means you're hitting a wedge in. The green sits at the top of the hill directly next to the clubhouse. The 19th hole has a huge, glass window (bullet-proof) overlooking the course. That window sits 10 feet from the back edge of the 18th green.

After being a member for about 6 months, I was coming up the 18th. I had hit a good drive, but it was a little too good and reached a bunker that I typically can't reach. I was left with about 80 yards, coming out of that bunker, to a back flag. Short is no good as it's a green with 3 tiers, so I knew I wanted to get on the upper tier. My shot out of that trap was thin. Like, very thin. It was screaming as it flew past the flag and slammed into the window. The loudest, most obnoxious sound I've ever heard echoed throughout the entire course. The ball kicked back towards the hole (which was probably 8 yards or so from the window on that day). It was destined to come most of the way back down the hill towards the bunker. Instead... it clipped some rocks that border the cart path behind the green and popped the ball straight up in the air. This took all the speed off of it and the ball dropped down on the back of the green before trickling to within about 3 feet.

Easy birdie.

As I made the putt, the guys in the 19th hole were banging on the window with their approval. I made my way inside to tip my cap. This was the day I met the majority of the guys I know at the club.

Stories of hitting the window are not out of the ordinary here. It's a pretty common thing, actually. Having the result I did, however... pretty rare.

Easily the best accidental shot I've hit.