Ping S59

J_Tizzle

Anyone hit these? I've tried almost all forged clubs but keep going back to the Ping I3+ blades, but I have to have something more workable in the short irons, so I figure if Pings work, try the players version. Thanks! :vava:

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone hit these?  I've tried almost all forged clubs but keep going back to the Ping I3+ blades, but I have to have something more workable in the short irons, so I figure if Pings work, try the players version.  Thanks! :vava:

12908[/snapback]

I have tried them. I actually got fitted for them a couple of years ago. At the time I was coming from Mizuno T-Zoid True irons. Obviously, the feel of Mizuno irons spreads throughout almost all of their irons. The S-59's are exceptional irons. If I hadn't ended up going with forged blades I would definitely have gone with the S-59's. They set up great and give you a lot of confidence. Solid feel at impact and pretty accurate. Workability is probably a 7 or 8. I really liked that. Compared to my 690 MB's and MP-37's. I guess the best comparison to the S-59's is Solid (S-59's) to Butter (690/37).

Again, the S-59's are fantastic irons and if I hadn't gotten the 690's and 37's... I would be a Ping man.

WHATS WITH THE CUT IN THE HOSSEL OF THESE CLUBS I LOVE THE SET UP BUT THE LOOK OF THE CUT IS WEIRD JUST WEIRD.

14723[/snapback]

Typical Ping...some love it some hate it. I think you can get used to it.

Ping has always marched to a different drummer, but hey they just put ferruls on their wedges, so give them some time... :vava:

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Ventus Black TR 6x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* Speeder 757 x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* LIN-Q M40X Blue

Wilson DP 3h HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 

Callaway Apex 24 MB 6 to 11 iron, MMT 105 TX

Callaway Jaws 54/58/64 KBS 130

Edel EAS 1.0 custom

Wilson Staff Model Ball

I'm a big fan of the S59's. Here's my "mini-review":

s59_tour_large.jpg

FEEL - I am amazed at the feeling of these irons. They are different than a good forged club, but their feeling at impact is every bit as rewarding. Nice lies and good swings are rewarded with a wonderful "thump" at impact, where you can feel the multi-cambered sole working through the grass. I love 'em.

PERFORMANCE - These are the most forgiving, and the most rewarding "blades" I've ever hit. There is some kind of magic in the sole design, the black weight port, and the metal used in these irons. I could hit high/low, cuts/draws, and many other shots at will. Another thing I noticed was that they are VERY accurate, much more so than other Ping irons (like the Zings, I3, etc., which give me inconsistent distances). I was hitting high mid irons to within just a few feet of dispersion. These are tremendous irons.

SPIN: The Tour series advertise greater spin due to the milled face & grooves, but on a driving range with rough target greens, and range balls - I couldn't tell the difference. I did see a couple of my wedges take funny, 3-4' hops off those target greens, though!

SUMMARY - If you're a strong player, and want a "blade-type" iron, these irons should be near the top of the list. They are playable for mid-handicap golfers, and reward you with tremendous feel at impact, and easy-to control ball flight. The polished appearance also looks wonderful.

Very solid feel, not your typical forged softeness, but quite pleasing in a more "solid thud" type sensation.

Plenty forgiving, easier for me to hit than mp27s, mp 30s, 690 mbs, and ta2s. Similar to mp33s and 690cbs in terms of forgiveness.

I'm playing them now and I'm pretty comfortable saying they are quite safe in my bag.

-Ted

i was big into ping last year and played the s59's the i3+blades and eye2 +'s..lohrms buddy just hooked me up with a set of eye 2 plus no pluses..that i'm going to do my thing to...i've been into the tm craze..and for some reason...(maybe a hurt back from doing an insane exercise in my workout)...i was going through my year last year to now and realized..i shot my low score with pings..i got my only hole in one with them....f*ck it..i think i'm going to go back to them...the driver still sucks..so will have to keep the tm in play for that...

back to the s59's i'm pretty near scratch...i loved the feel etc of them..thought they were as decent as any blade i've played without the freak factor of putting a big ding in them...my problem with them though was they are very light...you have to put in a lead plug to get them up to d2..or make um really long...and to be honest the long irons were like any blade long iron...but not very good from any kind of rough...

just for the helluva it...ill show you some pic's of what i did to my pings last summer...

Having played 5 different sets of irons in the last 18 months (Rac LT; split set of MP30/MP33; CG2; X Tours; and my current Ping set) I can tell you that the split set of Ping I3+ Blade (3-6) and S59 (7-PW) are the best of them all. I ordered mine from the factory with DG X100's, which is a much heavier & better shaft than Ping's standard ZZ Lite shaft. In addition, I had them add the Cushin insert which is similar to True Temper's Sensicore system for vibration control. Not only does it dampen the shaft a bit, it adds approx. 10 grams.

The black insert on the back of Ping's clubs is in part used to adjust swingweight. The great thing about Ping is that you can order clubs just about any way you want them in terms of swingweight, loft (they offer a tour loft which is 1 degree strong), etc. In addition to the irons, I ordered 2 wedges with swingweight of D7. I like a heavy sand / lob wedge and these do the trick. The T/S grind from the WRX department helps if you have a shallow swing plane like mine.

After a month of play, my review of the S59 is as follows:

1. Great look at address, not bulky at all. Very square and easy to align.

2. Very controlled trajectory - no ballooning. Also very workable (draw/fade)

3. Moderately soft feel aided by Cushin insert. Not as soft as a Mizuno forged blade, but worth it for the forgiveness.

4. Quite forgiving considering it is Ping's closest thing to a "players" club.

5. Consistent distance control across the clubface, no "hot" spots.

Needless to say, after 18 months of "testing" and several $$$$$, I'm keeping this set in the bag for a while. Hope this helps.

just for the helluva it...ill show you some pic's of what i did to my pings last summer...

16393[/snapback]

Those look GREAT! I've seen some sets of Polished BeCu Ping wedges, that look like solid GOLD.

Can you tell us more how you did it? Was it hard to get an even polish? Any tips you used on the buffing (wheel, or drill), and what compound(s) you used would be helpful. Just curious!

Again - those look spectacular! :idhitit: