An Eight Club Golf Bag

Sean2

Ok as it's nearly July in this unbelievable UK hot weather ( not rained in well....yonks) I've piled some very good scores and not so good scores using 8 clubs. Best gross was 73 worse is 83 last week.... But boy it's hard and bouncy at the moment. But I've had a few tweaks, sold a full set of Wilsons and my eye2s in the end are too stiff for me now. So I bagged a little half set cobra 3100ih 4,6,8,pw for £30. The shafts are just much softer and better quality.

Meant to be playing today but play is suspended due to the smoke off these winter hill, Saddleworth Moor fires, scary how close it is! Anybody in the UK nearer to the fires than I am??

I'll post pics soon, as we all like pictures on here

Ok as it's nearly July in this unbelievable UK hot weather ( not rained in well....yonks) I've piled some very good scores and not so good scores using 8 clubs. Best gross was 73 worse is 83 last week.... But boy it's hard and bouncy at the moment. But I've had a few tweaks, sold a full set of Wilsons and my eye2s in the end are too stiff for me now. So I bagged a little half set cobra 3100ih 4,6,8,pw for £30. The shafts are just much softer and better quality.

Meant to be playing today but play is suspended due to the smoke off these winter hill, Saddleworth Moor fires, scary how close it is! Anybody in the UK nearer to the fires than I am??

Is Saddleworth Moor where the Moors murder victims were buried?

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Hi-Di-Ho and Happy Holidays!

Next season I am thinking of going with an eight club bag. I like to walk, but 14 clubs is a bit much at my advanced age. lol

I have been using a push cart, but I find it to be a bit of a pain (lugging it around, setting it up, cleaning the wheels and tires after each round, breaking it down, etc).

My last two rounds of this season I played 8 clubs and scored well for me (34 for nine holes and 72 for 18: par 35 and par 70 respectively).

With eight clubs it was certainly light enough for me to carry, and I also noticed I could walk over the green instead of around it :-)

I used driver, 7-wood, 5-hybrid, 7, 9, AW, LW, and putter. Thinking of swapping out the driver for my 3-wood.

Does anyone else do this?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! :hi: :drinks:

My experience is for most semi serious golfers it doesn't hold up over time. Dew sweepers out to get a walk in... yeah sure. But trying to maximize your scoring? You'll be lonely missing just the club you need.

For the record though I am a very big believer in push carts.

Yes it is, never found some of the bodies. There's a great course up there created by the bloke who designed augusta or so Im told. But there's 3 fires up there and it looks like a volcano up there... The smoke is just going north towards the lakes today. Needs rain...can't believe I said that after last year's summer

Yes it is, never found some of the bodies. There's a great course up there created by the bloke who designed augusta or so Im told. But there's 3 fires up there and it looks like a volcano up there... The smoke is just going north towards the lakes today. Needs rain...can't believe I said that after last year's summer

Is it the dry vegetation or the peat burning?

The peat is burning, they used it in these parts for centuries so it's just slowly burning underneath. Plus the vegetation is so dry that's burning....still looks horrendous! Good job the open isn't at Birkdale if it's this dry

The peat is burning, they used it in these parts for centuries so it's just slowly burning underneath. Plus the vegetation is so dry that's burning....still looks horrendous! Good job the open isn't at Birkdale if it's this dry

Pray for rain (never thought I'd say that about a UK summer).

• 4 weeks later...

Changed my set a little bit since my last post. I'm still going with 10 clubs in the bag. I've binned all fairway woods and hybrids. Tried practising when I get time which I'll be honest is nowhere near enough. On the range I hit them perfectly almost every time but as soon as I'm on the course I hit utter crap with them.

Set now looks like this

Driver 12*

3 iron 21*

5 iron 27*

7 iron 33*

8 iron 37*

9 iron 41*

PW 46*

52 and 58* wedges

Putter

I would prob be playing 8 clubs but the group I play with at the weekends play from the white tees (I've always played from the yellow tees) and Ive found that I am using my 7-pw a lot so don't really want to drop any of them as we've normally got money on the game.

Quite happy with it but I know it will probably only take a couple of bad rounds before I start to tinker again ?

Nice! All about finding what works best for where and how you play.

I've been doing pretty good with my 7 club bag, really the only consistent gap I have trouble covering is the PW-SW gap....which is really weird. Seems like I should be able to just take a little off the PW but I always seem to go long. 120-125 is a hard range for me to hit as my SW is 115 on the button and my PW is 135. But I'm just going to keep working on it. I can scrub 10y off my SW pretty consistently so hoping with practice I can get there with my PW too.

Other than that, been having great success just varying my hand position and swing to cover the gaps.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

I've been doing pretty good with my 7 club bag, really the only consistent gap I have trouble covering is the PW-SW gap....which is really weird. Seems like I should be able to just take a little off the PW but I always seem to go long. 120-125 is a hard range for me to hit as my SW is 115 on the button and my PW is 135. But I'm just going to keep working on it. I can scrub 10y off my SW pretty consistently so hoping with practice I can get there with my PW too.

Other than that, been having great success just varying my hand position and swing to cover the gaps.

This gap may be the most important for scoring. Hitting poor shots from short range is a killer. To keep things simple on that end of the bag I went to a 54 degree wedge. I can stretch it like a GW and it is versatile enough for my SW needs as well. It does feel funny to have a PW, GW, SW, and putter with a minimalist set, but this is where scoring happens...

This gap may be the most important for scoring. Hitting poor shots from short range is a killer. To keep things simple on that end of the bag I went to a 54 degree wedge. I can stretch it like a GW and it is versatile enough for my SW needs as well. It does feel funny to have a PW, GW, SW, and putter with a minimalist set, but this is where scoring happens...

Yeah, my 55 is bent to 56....maybe I should try having it bent to 54 and see if that helps me eek out the little more that I need.

If it continues to be an issue I'm not opposed to eventually moving to a 52/28 setup either. But right now, I still feel like I need to work on pulling back my PW when needed...there's got to be a 120y PW shot....I just need to find it :)

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

I'm.about to do this. Going to put my irons on BST and commit to a less is more attitude. It has helped me very much in life,so I will carry it over to the golf bag as well. I have my mind made up on the lower end of the bag..(putter,56*SW,9i,7i,5i). At the high end of the bag I will probably go 21*h,Driver, but am tempted to just play just a 3 wood. I already know my scores won't change that much. I've played in 5-club tournaments and shot pretty close to my handicap so it should be fun. I think it helps that I am 100% a feel player with "evolving"mechanics day to day. Handicap is 6.8.

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

In my minimalist set, I've gone to a weak PW (48º) and strong SW (54º) to help smooth out the gaps at the bottom of the bag. I can play any shot I need with those 2 wedges. Might be an option to help tighten your PW-SW gap.

Half the clubs, twice the fun!

In my minimalist set, I've gone to a weak PW (48º) and strong SW (54º) to help smooth out the gaps at the bottom of the bag. I can play any shot I need with those 2 wedges. Might be an option to help tighten your PW-SW gap.

Yeah, I think I’ll have to try that. My PW is already 47 so if I take my 55 that is bent to 56 and instead bend to 54 I think that would likely do it. Only concern there is losing the bounce for out of the bunker.

• 2 weeks later...

Played my first "real" round this year (played a greensome eclectic in March), 9 holes strokeplay. Short course, par 35 2,850 yards (2 par 5's, 3 par 3's).

Driver, 2-, 4-, 6-, 8-, 10-iron, SW and putter.

Shanked my teeshot on the first (par 3), pitch-3 putt for double bogey. Made one more bogey (and another shank, but managed to par that hole), 2 birdies and parred the rest for an easy 36(+1). Love the short set. Hardest part is where you are not just in between two clubs, but where one club will leave you just 4-8 yards short and there is trouble in front of the green.

Decided to make a minimalist set up to keep in the office for quick nines at the club down the road.

Driver, 17* Hyb, 4,6,8,9,PW,LW, Putter

9319aabacd86f68822bc19dd6516f70e.jpg

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7
-----------------------------------------

Decided to make a minimalist set up to keep in the office for quick nines at the club down the road.

Which bag are you using

It doesn’t have a manufacture name. Just says docs custom, reminds me of full length Titleist Sunday bags.

I have Jones original and jones players bags. But this one really is the lightest and easiest carry. And it can hold a full set of clubs just fine. a00319e5d61ca66f802ed1a8223d169a.png

Srixon Z H45  16*

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7

Sweet setup! Wish I'd never sold my MP 32s. They were perfect in my backup/minimalist bag.

Sweet setup! Wish I'd never sold my MP 32s. They were perfect in my backup/minimalist bag.

oh man you can scoop a set for very little off the bay. $100-$200 I see all the time. Still great clubs even at 12 years old. This is my second set over time.

Srixon Z H45  16*

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7

• 4 weeks later...

Played in my last scramble event for the year (participated in a 5 stop scramble series) and while I carted out the full bag for the first four, this time I took my minimal bag and added my driver to it. Have to say, even in a scramble setting where you don’t really get to pick your approach distances as much, I still did fine using the short set. Also barely used the driver, think I pulled it twice and once to very poor results. My strong 3 really is just as long I think and way more versatile.

Other than the scrambles I think my full bag has probably seen two or three other rounds this year in the early part of the season and that’s it. Definitely don’t plan on taking it out again for the remainder of this year.

My light bag usually goes 2i-5i-8i-GW-LW-Putter, Im a 6 clubber guy

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

• 3 weeks later...

86c46282631c66791a78a5174d5787b6.jpg I keep this light setup in my office at work, just Incase I get called to play a late nine or hit a range.

I would remove the 9 iron to make this an eight club set up.

Driver, 17*Hyb, 4, 6, 8, PW, LW, Putter

Srixon Z H45  16*

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7