2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Muscle Back "Blade" Irons --- History and Future?

Titleist-Golfer

I’m very close to purchasing the Mizuno MP 18 MB, it’s just so precise, responsive feeling and consistent performance wise. I like the clean and timeless look as well.

What I have learned from literally hitting alll the latest and greatest irons in the last month was that I didn’t need all of the new technology features; it actually worked against me.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

The way I look at it, playing blades is mostly an aesthetic choice that, happily, for many (most) of us, has very little downside.

I won't get into the feedback/playability/forgiveness argument, but it's simply hard to argue with the fact they look awesome and they're a ton of fun have in the bag and fun to play. That last point is the really compelling thing - they're a ton of fun to hit and play. I wish more players would give them a try and see how they work for them. I think many would be surprised by the outcome. The YT video posted above is one, albeit anecdotal, example. I mean, just look at the expression on that guy's face. It's like he just dated a supermodel! He's having fun! Isn't that the point of all of this?

I can totally relate to the guy and it’s “no exaggeration” as he says it.

I’ve tried the whole distance irons thing and light shaft comboinations but the long left misses was enough for me to dismiss that segment.

Just as he noted, about altering his swing to fight these left misses was my cross path and it’s when I went back to forge for the feel, precision and tighter dispersion pattern.

Personally, I like to hit greens with stopping fades that move/finish towards the target line.

As an owner of more than 1 set of irons, I can only speak to my experiences. But for me, for whatever reason, the more "forgiving" an iron is the more it goes left for me. The more traditional an iron is, the closer to the target line it will finish a majority of the time. So for the foreseeable future, I am putting the GI's down and using my new to me j33 combos.

I’ve played blades and game improvement clubs. I’ve found that it doesn’t make that much of a difference. The game improvement loses a bit less on toe hits and are a bit easier to elevate. You can lay sod over the ball with either equally well. The blades do seem to cause the ball hold the line a bit better in flight. Accuracy and distance are about the same.

The trick with blades is to not do too much. Make your normal swing and the club will perform.

The way I look at it, playing blades is mostly an aesthetic choice that, happily, for many (most) of us, has very little downside.

I won't get into the feedback/playability/forgiveness argument, but it's simply hard to argue with the fact they look awesome and they're a ton of fun have in the bag and fun to play. That last point is the really compelling thing - they're a ton of fun to hit and play. I wish more players would give them a try and see how they work for them. I think many would be surprised by the outcome. The YT video posted above is one, albeit anecdotal, example. I mean, just look at the expression on that guy's face. It's like he just dated a supermodel! He's having fun! Isn't that the point of all of this?

Sssshhh! Let people think it's a trail of tears. Keeps the hoeing expenses down.

... Well I am happy many of you play better with MB's. I can't imagine that happening with the right set of more forgiving irons, especially players irons like Tileist Forged CB's but you guys seem convinced, so good for you. Taking my MP63's out for a round last week was a real reminder for me of exactly how much better P790's perform for me than than my 63's. The only area the 63's out perform the 790's is feel, although the 63's are a little easier to flight low. 790's can be flighted just as low but it just takes a hair more shaft lean. Struck well they perform the same with the 63's spinning more which I view as a bad thing after the predictable spin from the 790's that are almost always a few feet from their pitch mark. And the 790's are just more accurate and consistent. The slight mishits are the big determining factor for me, as they are just much better with my 790's. Granted my miss is usually a little low on the face and this is where the 790's really shine and the 63's are at their weakest. An occasional toe hit is also demonstrably better with the 790's.

... The good news is that was the last time I needed to compare and after picking up a set of Honma 737Vs that have that sweet forged feel but are more forgiving than the 63's, my mint condition MP63's are going in the classifieds. We shall see how many of the blade devotee's jump all over them because they are very rare in mint condition. I have my doubts ...

While I do have sets of blades, I will be going with my combos. But even the long irons in those look like a blade from address just like the short irons. I am by no means saying cb's or gi's or even sgi's are bad. I own those too. But right now they just dont fit my swing. It's on me for that. If some one else can hit a gi straight and I cant, that's me. Right now I am working on getting my swing a little more upright, I am too flat presently, but my older set of combos with slightly weaker lofts are just not going as far off line. Oddly enough Sunday when I got to use my combos for the first time(they showed up friday), I didn't see any real distance loss with the weaker lofts and in a few cases I got more distance than from my stronger lofted irons and went to the back off a few greens. Presently surprised by that. So while I work on this I will use what I'm not hooking into the next area code. Since clubs are such a personal choice, I would not advocate 1 kind over another to anyone. Use what ya use and have at it.

... In my opinion, the J33 Combo's as well as the J36 Combos with the PC long irons should be in the Iron Hall Of Fame. Bridgestone made some great irons.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

I agree with every word of this post as I experienced the same thing.

... Considering MB sales make up 3% of the market (most) juuuuuust might be a bit of a stretch so 97% see the downside. But agree (most) that post on WRX MB threads certainly feel this way.

Maybe my phrasing wasn't very precise, but I was trying to say that for most of us that do already play blades, we see little downside to doing so. I was making no reference or comment about the majority of golfers that don't play blades.

Played my second round with my 716 MB's yesterday. It went really well actually from a ball-striking standpoint. I came from old Titleist 704 CB's. The CB's were forged but stainless so they never felt as good as the 716's do. To be honest, they're both "players" irons so the transition was easier for me. My 704's had R300 in them, and I wanted S300 for my blades, and so far am loving the extra weight to the swing. Distances are nearly identical, and top down view is not much different.

My friend has Ping G10's and man I just do not like the offset on those things. Absolute units. It's an odd phenomenon that blades look easier to hit for me. I'm sure if I swallowed my pride I would hit Pings very well, but man I only have one life haha.

... Well I am happy many of you play better with MB's. I can't imagine that happening with the right set of more forgiving irons, especially players irons like Tileist Forged CB's but you guys seem convinced, so good for you. Taking my MP63's out for a round last week was a real reminder for me of exactly how much better P790's perform for me than than my 63's. The only area the 63's out perform the 790's is feel, although the 63's are a little easier to flight low. 790's can be flighted just as low but it just takes a hair more shaft lean. Struck well they perform the same with the 63's spinning more which I view as a bad thing after the predictable spin from the 790's that are almost always a few feet from their pitch mark. And the 790's are just more accurate and consistent. The slight mishits are the big determining factor for me, as they are just much better with my 790's. Granted my miss is usually a little low on the face and this is where the 790's really shine and the 63's are at their weakest. An occasional toe hit is also demonstrably better with the 790's.

... The good news is that was the last time I needed to compare and after picking up a set of Honma 737Vs that have that sweet forged feel but are more forgiving than the 63's, my mint condition MP63's are going in the classifieds. We shall see how many of the blade devotee's jump all over them because they are very rare in mint condition. I have my doubts ...

I have my doubts too...MP63s are CBs in my book. MP68s would have me jumping though...

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Why are your blades raw finish? All the tour guys are using chrome :)

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

I have my doubts too...MP63s are CBs in my book. MP68s would have me jumping though...

... To a hard core traditionalist maybe, but these look like MB's at address with a compact profile, thin topline and sole with just a hint of a diamond cavity. They play like MB's in every sense. I guess you could call them tweeners but they are much closer to MB's than CB's.

Granted the MP63s are very close to the playability of a pure MB. In fact they are only 6 points in difference to the MP4s on the Maltby Playabilty Factor although that doesn’t necessarily hold much sway with me.

My Mac MT Pro Cs are very similar to the MP63s in that they have a diamond muscle in the cavity and for me they are less ‘playable’ than the MP4s...perhaps diamond-shaped muscles require a more precise strike.

Radius Classic 8

... In my opinion, the J33 Combo's as well as the J36 Combos with the PC long irons should be in the Iron Hall Of Fame. Bridgestone made some great irons.

I bought the j33 combos in 2005 and they still remain in my bag. Never would have thought in a million years that they would become a cult classic

And in my humble opinion, it's a travesty what Bridgestone is doing in regards to the lack of marketing and availability for their tour line of irons

... Potato, Patahto. You and I have rarely agreed on anything when it comes to clubs so I am not surprised by your opinion. I own Cobra Forged Tours, Cleveland 588TT's, Lynx MC Forged, Nike Forged Combo's, Honma 737Vs and my gamers the P790's an the MP63's. In my book the MP63's are MB's in sheeps clothing and look identical to MB's ate address as well as the thin sole. I said as much in my WRX review when the MP63's first came out and Mizuno felt they were too close to MB's as well, hence the MP53's and many other Players CB's that followed. If you have ever seen them in person, you would see the "cavity" is a hint even in the 4 iron, not a real cavity and if the diamond line was a little more subtle, it would look exactly like an MB.

I don’t disagree that they look like MBs from the address position. Tbh, I struggle to tell my MP4s from my Mac Pro Cs at address and they perform very similarly. The Pro Cs fly a couple of yards higher and perform less well with strikes high on the face as there is very little in the way of mass behind the ball...the face is so thin to accommodate the cavity within a very thin top line. The biggest difference is in feel - the soft feel of the Macs is too soft...they just feel a bit ‘mushy’ whereas the only word I can use to describe the MP4s is pure.

Radius Classic 8

what is it about blades the bring out the evangelist in 95% of the people that use them on this forum?

Ironic. Blade users talk about how they like their sticks. The Cavity Crusaders are the ones looking to convert everyone to the "True Faith." LOL

... I think you know better than that. How many times have we read that hitting MB's is the only way to improve? That MB's are the only way to reach your potential? That everyone should try MB's? Physics tell us MB's are the hardest to hit consistently and are the least forgiving on mishits. I think it bears mentioning, there are a ton of MB players on tour that have more forgiving long irons in their bag basically reaping the best of both worlds that would think this "argument" just silly.

... That said, some high swing speed, high spin players may only be able to play MB's. I would never try to talk anyone out of MB's unless they asked for advice and were playing poorly with their MB's. And I have played with complete hacks using MB's that probably never hit the center once in a round of golf. Most people here repeat this mantra over and over again "play what makes you happy". You want to score the lowest? Play the most forgiving irons you can effectively play. You love the game and you feel there are many other reasons to play other than lowest score? Play whatever brings you the most joy. Even if that is 962B's.

Cracking me up with the 962b reference! I have a set (along with 962's) in the garage. Played them regularly up until last month! :)

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

As for the lack of consistent distance control in GI irons, that is a myth that has been busted many times.

Lol where? I'll wait.

As the line in my reply that you did not quote said, if GI irons truly had hot spots that could create 15 yard bursts they would never pass USGA conforming tests.

You clearly understand that distance can be created in ways other than "hot spots" and then you provide this as your "proof" as to why high launch/low spin irons aren't inconsistent distance wise? What are you smoking?

As for the lack of consistent distance control in GI irons, that is a myth that has been busted many times.

Lol where? I'll wait.

As the line in my reply that you did not quote said, if GI irons truly had hot spots that could create 15 yard bursts they would never pass USGA conforming tests.

You clearly understand that distance can be created in ways other than "hot spots" and then you provide this as your "proof" as to why high launch/low spin irons aren't inconsistent distance wise? What are you smoking?

An article from GolfWRX explains the phenomenon quite well:

“Other than height, one of the biggest concerns serious golfers have about RocketBladez Tour irons is their disposition to a “flyer,” which happens when a golfer catches a shot slightly above the sweet spot on the club face. The higher contact point gives golfers almost all of the speed of a center hit, but it drastically reduces spin, which causes iron shots to fly much farther than intended.

TaylorMade engineers said they fixed the hot spot problem by making the sweet spot of the RocketBladez Tour irons much larger. According to Sean Toulon, executive vice president for TaylorMade, the sweet spot of a RocketBladez Tour iron is about the size of a quarter, while the sweet spot of TaylorMade’s most recent muscle back iron is closer to the size of a pea.

So why would a tour player choose to play a shorter-flying iron with the sweet spot the size of a pea when he or she could have a longer-flying iron with a sweet spot the size of a quarter? According to Toulon, tour players like blade irons despite their small sweet spots because they’re “slow everywhere.” So even though one-piece forged irons don’t fly as far as multi-material irons, they tend to fly around the same distance on center hits as on slight mis-hits. For better players who make contact near the sweet spot nearly every time, the improved distance control means more birdie chances.”

Radius Classic 8

There is a set of the limited edition 680 irons in the local pro shop. It takes every single ounce of will power I have to walk out of the shop without them.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

I started flubbing it around in my early 20s. I guess it was 1985ish. Got the cheapest clubs at some sporting goods store in Costa Mesa, something like that. They were blades. Chrome. I remember going to the range and hitting them off-center as a beginner and the 'feedback' I got was like a broken bat single on a went, windy, winter day... only it was warm in sunny CA ;-) It was brutal. But those clubs, their finish, even though they were cheap, we like my babies. I would have, almost, killed for those things (like a fly, or even better, a mosquito).

I was really keen on the game and stuck with them and improved. I loved the game so much it was an obsession. I always wished such a thing as junior golf existed when I was young. Kids today have no idea how lucky they are... in terms of mentoring but also the GI options, metal/titanium/composite clubs and hybrids they can play now.

It was Top-Elite or Titleist, seemingly, although I know more options were out there. I remember the balata balls running $8 a sleeve, or so it seemed. One smack and they were ruined.

Some might look at my profile here, see how few posts I've made, or my handicap, and judge me. But that is fine. Such is life.

Golf (gawf) is a lot like life. We all play the hand we are dealt, we all now it isn't 'fair', and we all (in our own ways) love the game. All in our unique ways. It is what makes us 'special'.

I read in here, maybe on page 4, someone belligerently (or maybe I just took it that way) saying something about a golfer shooting a 105, as though he or she was above a score like that.

I suppose, were we all to be so fortunate as that person, we might sit in judgement of others, I don't know.

But it seems, and I am guilty of this too mind you, that the OP was sort of asking us how we felt about the future of blades in the marketplace, in our minds, in the industry, and pointed out how they (blades) were missing in the brochure he picked up, and (I think) elsewhere. Perhaps that might be part of the reason why MB club sales are low, but as many here have also noted: the golfer (myself included) is fanatical about doing better, and will stop (almost) at nothing to get that outcome.

Think about how many balls some of us have hit in our lives. I'd wager a good bunch here have worn adhesive tape on their fingers after the skin was gone from hitting so many balls. Have any of you ever walked 27, 35, 45, 54, or even 63 in one day? Carrying your bag flung over your shoulder? Even a lowly 18 can play a blade, score a 105, and walk until they drop. Is that person a lessor human because he loves certain aspects of the game, or has evolved in such a way as to have 'tried that' or 'gone there' with equipment of all kinds, GI, or otherwise.

Some here, younger fellow methinks (was it a 26-year-old?) said he had a new set of shiny 716 MBs he had just picked up. Well done. I guess he bought them because they looked like, and will be treasured by him, like jewels.

I don't know what his handicap ism or if he'll shoot a 64, or a 105, and I don't care or judge him. He loves the game. And, in some perverse way, I suppose I adore that spirit.

There are posters on this site with like 70,000+ posts. They obviously love this game. I admire that.

I suppose I'm chiming i here to sort of summarize what I took in, as a newbie, to grasp what societally the culture is gravitating to, perhaps in response the OPs query (in some oblique, obscure way).

Perhaps observing is a way of learning, or perhaps I might think up some way of expressing how the game's traditions (or how I perceive them) also play a factor, and how I do sense a bit of loss whenever I see people glued to their phones (myself included) almost incapable of looking one another in the eye for more than an instant (although the gofer tends to be more outdoorsy and socially adept).

There needs to be something more compelling than the mere advertising of a golf club in order for it to generate desire among golfers. When I was first playing, there were no cavity backs, or if they existed, they were out of my price range.

I would have played anything that held the promise of GI. I can totally 'get' the tech, and how it is 'speaking' to the marketplace. Golf, as many know, is losing core players by the bushel. Tiger brought a lot of players in, and over the years, many have gone. I know the people at the USGA--and the course operators, club makers, all interested parties--want to promote the game and give it appeal to more people.

So, a blade in the hands of a newcomer is a turn off, right? Well, I don't know if a lost ball is any better coming off an AP2 than it is off a MacGregor VIP... it sucks either way.

I also read that the makers don't bring blades to demo day events. So, the OP notes no ad inclusion in the brochure, and the others here note this...hmmm. Then I see others noting the blades will be around another 20 years, they might be custom orders and expensive, the Japanese will make them into perpetuity, and/or most who play blades are misers who don't buy new.

Some truth in every opinion I've read here. Just a matter of interpretation, I suppose.

Blades as practice tools was a good suggestion. Then a teaching pro noted blades were for the few and far between (he put it better than that), but you get the drift. Both have valid points.

I still think Titleist should be a little more strategic, rather than tactical (even flippant) in their product management and marketing and advertising, per the Op's point. Why make a product and bury it? Why don't they reps schlep them? Is it that much more work? Are they really that pressed? Maybe.

Times are always changing, but some things stick to us like glue... like blades. Maybe because they work, or because we "like them" (as one pointed out here), or because mishits don't go so far offline, or for distance control, or because they can be knocked down better, who knows? Someone still likes them, and someone still buys them. If there is a need or a want, someone will be there to fill the niche.

I confess I have used words like purist, traditionalist, old school, etc., when referring to old golf clubs (blades, persimmon, etc.). I like the fact that they (blades and old woods) have a little bit of mystique to them, or that those of us who play with them wonder if we ever hit a shot like Ben Hogan did, or that we think we can 'move' the ball better with them. What's so bad about that? It's just one take out of many. It isn't better or worse.

Titleist is a very big name in golf. The bigger they are, the more right they are, or so the majority will agree.

I always liked the Wilson Staff Dyna-Powered 1959-60-maybe '61 models. I actually think they are easier to hit than the Titleist MBs by miles.

One fine golfer, surely better than the likes of me, said he was a 'sweeper'. 'How does one sweep a ball out of a divot?' I thought. Sweepers have to be so skilled it is unreal. Lee Trevino's book was what really helped me grasp the downward strike. I am a digger. I can't sweep for my life.. well.

I was never a fine player. My lowest score in a competitive round was a 71. My best shot was a 5-iron (Wilson Dyna-Powered Staff) on No. 17 at Bethpage Black, pre-Tiger reno, from the tips (200 yards). The I stopped playing for many years. This season I took it back up.

I promptly broke out my Staffs and hit some balls and after three 18 hole loops, my fingers were locking up (trigger finger), my left wrist and thumb were fragged, and I had severe golfer's elbow. And, I was shooting scores in the high 90s, over 100.

I immediately put the blades into my basement and hit the computer and eBay. Found a $125 set of graphite-shafted Callaway X24 Hots, two gloves (right and left... I never wore gloves after my first year because I hit so many balls, wore them out so frequently, I could not afford the luxury) and resigned myself to hitting them.

That was a couple of months ago. May.

It is my 6th or 7th time I have tried GI clubs and when I mishit them it is horrible. They hurt like any other golf club. I am positive they are far better on my hands, but if I get handsy and thin them I'm getting that old first year of golfing feedback.

It is not the arrow, it is the indian....

A day ago, I bight myself a set of Titleist MBs. 716s. With the 4-5 in T-MB (not purist blade) combo set-up.

The Recoil graphite shafts are too strong for me, but I'll manage (110 F5 protos).

I'm an 18, but I'll break 80 this year and my handicap will fall to where it should be, under 10 but over 5.

I'll play with blades, Titleist (because they were cheap, newer, and rehaftable ie without Fluid Feel bore thru resign-filled hosels/shaft tips pinned and threaded), and I'll shoot 105, or maybe a tad lower... who cares, other than me, right?

Lol where? I'll wait.

“Other than height, one of the biggest concerns serious golfers have about RocketBladez Tour irons is their disposition to a “flyer,” which happens when a golfer catches a shot slightly above the sweet spot on the club face. The higher contact point gives golfers almost all of the speed of a center hit, but it drastically reduces spin, which causes iron shots to fly much farther than intended.

TaylorMade engineers said they fixed the hot spot problem by making the sweet spot of the RocketBladez Tour irons much larger. According to Sean Toulon, executive vice president for TaylorMade, the sweet spot of a RocketBladez Tour iron is about the size of a quarter, while the sweet spot of TaylorMade’s most recent muscle back iron is closer to the size of a pea.

So why would a tour player choose to play a shorter-flying iron with the sweet spot the size of a pea when he or she could have a longer-flying iron with a sweet spot the size of a quarter? According to Toulon, tour players like blade irons despite their small sweet spots because they’re “slow everywhere.” So even though one-piece forged irons don’t fly as far as multi-material irons, they tend to fly around the same distance on center hits as on slight mis-hits. For better players who make contact near the sweet spot nearly every time, the improved distance control means more birdie chances.”

OEM claims of more distance are crap. They’re just stronger lofted. OEMs are deceptive and lie about how their irons work.

Oh, interesting. Well how do you know why the pros play what they play?

Easy. The OEMs explained it clearly.

Wait....

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

OEM claims of more distance are crap. They’re just stronger lofted. OEMs are deceptive and lie about how their irons work.

Oh, interesting. Well how do you know why the pros play what they play?

Easy. The OEMs explained it clearly.

Wait....

Earlier in the article, TM admit to increasing the loft of the “Tour” version to REDUCE distance by a club (3* difference in the 6-irons between the 2 sets) and also admit that the clubs were hit-and-miss with their staffers for the reasons explained. DJ actually won with the clubs but then switched back to his MBs the following week.

I admit that it does seem strange that TM of all people would highlight the shortcomings in their clubs, but there it is in black and white.

Radius Classic 8

I still don't know why muscle back irons and blades are so expensive today. 30 years ago that's all we played. Every manufacturer had the same lofts, same style of blade, and the cost was at least competitive. Now brands sound like "don't buy these - you can't play them - too good for you" etc. The price hike over the years does not correspond to the increases of some of the cast clubs today.

There is a set of the limited edition 680 irons in the local pro shop. It takes every single ounce of will power I have to walk out of the shop without them.

Meh...pass. I've had a set.

I much prefer the current 716 & 718 MB lines which look nearly identical and don't have minuscule mid- and long-irons. Why a player would ever want something smaller than a current-gen MB I don't know. Nobody on tour uses them.

Were the 681-era designs even intended for solid-core balls?

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS