2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How long should a golf bag last

This is mostly a bit of venting. But maybe it would help me if my expectations are unrealistic. But how long should a good bag last.

Up until the last 3 years, I used a couple of Sun Mountain bags, C130 and C130S. I think I had the C130 for several years and it was still working well and looking good.

Three years ago I bought an Ogio Vapor Stand bag. Loved the Woode top and it sat well on my Clicgear cart. But about a year and a half in, the inserts came loose. Ogio was gracious enough to send my a replacement bag, but it was gray and not black like my original bag. I hated the color an never used the bag.

So I went to the PGATSS and looked for a new bag. With the the thought that another Ogio wouldn't do. Well after a bunch of looking and checking I walked out with an Ogio Cirrus. Now about 1 1/2 years in that bag, I again have really grown to like the bag a lot. However a few months ago, the putter well insert started pulling out. I'd use the putter to push it back down when I put the putter back. Some times easy and sometimes hard. After 9 holes this evening, the stupid thing pulled out on every hole.

When I got home I pulled it all the way out and realized that the bottom was not only detached, but completely blown out. So now I may have to decide to get another bag if I can find a fix.

So to my question, is 1 1/2 years reasonable for a bag. Or would you expect or have you gotten more life out of a bag?

I have to believe that I have finally learned my lesson with Ogio bags. They have some great features, but if I cant count one them for a few years then so what.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid 2 / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think more than a year and a half from a bag is a reasonable expectation, absent treating it really hard. I wouldn't be mad about sun fading the colors, some wear on the material, or maybe rubbing damage. However, what you describe seems worse than normal wear. I usually have bags last longer than my interest in them and they still work fine even though I look for something new.

It does look like you have a thick putter grip. Is it possible that the putter well simply wasn't quite big enough for it?

It’s a SS Mid slim 2.0. Not huge in my opinion.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S

SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid 2 / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit

I have a Jones classic stand bag in grey that I got when I was a club pro in 1996.

I have well over a thousand rounds on it, most on a cart, some carry, and some push cart.

It’s a touch thin in the fur around the top liners and a bit sun faded, but still quite serviceable.

Most of the bags these days are garbage. Im sure I’ll be buying another Jones in the near future. I guess I could retire it after 22 years.

It’s a SS Mid slim 2.0. Not huge in my opinion.

Yeah, not excessive. Looks like the two possible things are either the putter grip was a touch too big and kept catching the liner, eventually pulling it out, or just shoddy stitching. Or a combo of the two. In this age of larger putter grips I think bag manufacturers should plan for that with specific putter well slots, and if the slot can't take a bigger grip (phrasing!) then put that on the tag. In the future find a bag with fewer dividers and bigger sections maybe? I carried a putter with a thick grip in a 4 way Sun Mountain for a while without issue.

This is the price we are paying for lighter and lighter bags is flimsier materials. You can't reinforce anything because that adds weight.

Or you can buy a heavier bag that will last.

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

This is mostly a bit of venting. But maybe it would help me if my expectations are unrealistic. But how long should a good bag last.

Up until the last 3 years, I used a couple of Sun Mountain bags, C130 and C130S. I think I had the C130 for several years and it was still working well and looking good.

Three years ago I bought an Ogio Vapor Stand bag. Loved the Woode top and it sat well on my Clicgear cart. But about a year and a half in, the inserts came loose. Ogio was gracious enough to send my a replacement bag, but it was gray and not black like my original bag. I hated the color an never used the bag.

So I went to the PGATSS and looked for a new bag. With the the thought that another Ogio wouldn't do. Well after a bunch of looking and checking I walked out with an Ogio Cirrus. Now about 1 1/2 years in that bag, I again have really grown to like the bag a lot. However a few months ago, the putter well insert started pulling out. I'd use the putter to push it back down when I put the putter back. Some times easy and sometimes hard. After 9 holes this evening, the stupid thing pulled out on every hole.

When I got home I pulled it all the way out and realized that the bottom was not only detached, but completely blown out. So now I may have to decide to get another bag if I can find a fix.

So to my question, is 1 1/2 years reasonable for a bag. Or would you expect or have you gotten more life out of a bag?

I have to believe that I have finally learned my lesson with Ogio bags. They have some great features, but if I cant count one them for a few years then so what.

I have had a Sun Mountain 3.5 since 2013 (5+ years) and my dividers did the same thing as your putter well. It got knotted up and made it hard to put the clubs all the way in. I just cut out all the nylon and now my bag is similar to a Jones with no full-length divider fabric just the top dividers, and it is totally fine. I walk, push, and cart and there is no tangle and no reason to get another bag just based on that issue. If you like the bag, you can salvage it and see if that fix works. If not, you can always buy then.

I have had a Sun Mountain 3.5 since 2013 (5+ years) and my dividers did the same thing as your putter well. It got knotted up and made it hard to put the clubs all the way in. I just cut out all the nylon and now my bag is similar to a Jones with no full-length divider fabric just the top dividers, and it is totally fine. I walk, push, and cart and there is no tangle and no reason to get another bag just based on that issue. If you like the bag, you can salvage it and see if that fix works. If not, you can always buy then.

I think for now I will do what you did and just cut it out. Maybe look for some end of season or Christmas discount and get a new bag then. Its not a major issue, just annoying. And like I said maybe a little venting. I would certainly not be complaining if I got 5+ years. But both bags (the original Vapor and now the Cirrus) failed in a little over a year.

I'm kicking myself a bit in that my decision came down to the Ping Hoofer and the Cirrus. In the end I'm sure I would have liked the Hoofer better.

SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0

.......Ogio is terrible for durability.

I think I'm coming to the same conclusion.

SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0

Guess I've been lucky so far. My Ogio is going on over 9 years (with some years playing multiple times a week, other years where I didn't play much at all). I love the Woode system organizer. I carry about 30% of the time, use it in a push cart the remainder of the time.

So far, it's held up better than my previous Sun Mtn (under similar use), which I kept on trying to keep going with bailing wire and bubble gum before I gave up and bought the Ogio.

(Correction to my original post. I had originally posted that my Ogio bag was over 5 years old. I had confused it with a bag that I had bought for my son about 5 yrs ago. My own Ogio is over 9yrs old and still holding up fine. A bit of minor wear on the shoulder straps, but that is to be expected.)

On the way home this evening I stopped by GG to look at the Ping Hoofer. Before I left I looked at the current Ogio Cirrus, and to my surprise the putter well has no divider. In fact the new bag is very sparse on dividers period.

SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0

I have had very good luck with and am very happy with my Ogio cart bag. Granted, I am an older golfer and I take exceptional care of my gear. Bought my SKV in 2000. Built like a tank. It was $149 or so. That was back in 2000, some would say that was a lot. When buying a new bag make sure to inspect points of stress and make sure it meets your standards and will meet your requirements and handling. https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/wpimages/images/images4/1/0712/28/1_214ebc3951f695f2c65d9a2b433e424f.jpg

Callaway CS is always pretty good, and they are sending me a replacement bag. Of course they are low on stock as the 2019's are coming soon, and they didn't have a black one. But matters not as I ordered a new Hoofer in black today. Looking forward to many years of good use with it.

SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0

My original Ping Hoofer lasted more than a decade. Only reason I got rid of it was the sun discoloration.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

It really sounds like they are not building to the same quality as in the past. Like I said, that Vapor stand lost its internal divider when the elastic came off the loop in the bottom. And the Cirrus divider simply tore to shreds. The exterior of both the bags looked great and held up. My only issue is with the dividers.

If you get a chance to look at one of the new Cirrus bags, it looks really wimpy on the inside. I find it interesting that this years Cirrus does not have the putter well divider.

SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0

500 rounds minimum

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

I'm on an Ogio cart bag that is 5 years old and going strong. The only thing is that zipperless ball pocket is looser than I'd want it to be...

3-4 evening 9's per week, April - November.

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13) Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17) Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X Odyssey Sabertooth www.YourGolfHeadcovers.com

Depends, I suppose.

Some $50 Academy sports bag may last or may not. Not like there's maintenance to golf bags, but climate, how frequently used, etc. all contribute.

I had a C130 (maybe 7 years ago) that did a similar thing to what OP pics show, SM replaced it so no big deal.

I own 5 C130s (I get an itch for new model or new color now and then) all the way back to the original (so 10 years or so) that I could still use, but it holds spare sets for guests in the 'warehouse' -- I'm a reformed club Ho.

If it's leather and cared for, could last decades, though I have a couple of staff bags that aren't coming apart, but are aging.

If Ogio won't replace or help you replace if out of warranty, go back to SM or another brand seems like an option.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Depends, I suppose.

Some $50 Academy sports bag may last or may not.......

If Ogio won't replace or help you replace if out of warranty,.....

Yes, I should have stated that I am asking about the better name brands, SM, Ogio, TM, Callaway, Titleist, etc.

They seem to have no problem backing their product. When the Vapor crapped out, they replaced it with new Shreeder (Vapor was discontinued).

And this time they sent me a 2018 Cirrus.

But I decided to go ahead and get the Ping Hoofer.

SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0

I've been using Bennington QO-12 bags since 2010 as I like to keep my forged irons seperated on the move and on the course.

The "fabric" version, is red/black, and looks excellent still on the outside with zippers and wear. The inside is another story as some tears in the deep bottom divider areas makes for difficult club entry/exits at times in several slots.

The PLU leather version has same design, but different pockets design. It has held up better in the club divider area but the visual wear of that material is more of an ugly factor than function - all the zippers are still strong & working.

I would buy another Bennington as these get alot of hard use for nearly 8 seasons. Part of the internal divider issue for me is once I started using them on a Clicgear 3.5, they sit more diagonal vs. riding carts and hence, I've torn that cloth divider more in the red/black bag as it even is closer to a 60 degrees angle vs. about 75 with the PLU version.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

I have a Jones classic stand bag in grey that I got when I was a club pro in 1996.

I have well over a thousand rounds on it, most on a cart, some carry, and some push cart.

It’s a touch thin in the fur around the top liners and a bit sun faded, but still quite serviceable.

Most of the bags these days are garbage. Im sure I’ll be buying another Jones in the near future. I guess I could retire it after 22 years.

Great bags! Jones makes a great product- had a carry bag and still have my stand bag. Very well made!