Muscle Back "Blade" Irons --- History and Future?

Titleist-Golfer

There is a set of the limited edition 680 irons in the local pro shop. It takes every single ounce of will power I have to walk out of the shop without them.

Meh...pass. I've had a set.

I much prefer the current 716 & 718 MB lines which look nearly identical and don't have minuscule mid- and long-irons. Why a player would ever want something smaller than a current-gen MB I don't know. Nobody on tour uses them.

Were the 681-era designs even intended for solid-core balls?

Tiger was an early adopter of solid core and the 681 was made for him. 681's are rather tall faced clubs and average in length. but they are not small by any standard.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

681's are rather tall faced clubs and average in length. but they are not small by any standard.

Do you have experience with them?

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

what is it about blades the bring out the evangelist in 95% of the people that use them on this forum?

Ironic. Blade users talk about how they like their sticks. The Cavity Crusaders are the ones looking to convert everyone to the "True Faith." LOL

... I think you know better than that. How many times have we read that hitting MB's is the only way to improve? That MB's are the only way to reach your potential? That everyone should try MB's? Physics tell us MB's are the hardest to hit consistently and are the least forgiving on mishits. I think it bears mentioning, there are a ton of MB players on tour that have more forgiving long irons in their bag basically reaping the best of both worlds that would think this "argument" just silly.

... That said, some high swing speed, high spin players may only be able to play MB's. I would never try to talk anyone out of MB's unless they asked for advice and were playing poorly with their MB's. And I have played with complete hacks using MB's that probably never hit the center once in a round of golf. Most people here repeat this mantra over and over again "play what makes you happy". You want to score the lowest? Play the most forgiving irons you can effectively play. You love the game and you feel there are many other reasons to play other than lowest score? Play whatever brings you the most joy. Even if that is 962B's.

Cracking me up with the 962b reference! I have a set (along with 962's) in the garage. Played them regularly up until last month! :)

amen ..962B is a lovely iron .... easily top 5 CB ever made

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

681's are rather tall faced clubs and average in length. but they are not small by any standard.

Do you have experience with them?

I do .. i can post pics of them beside a Miura 57 blade ..HUGE difference in size... 681- 680 690 are not tiny irons

adam scott , web simpson up until last year used 680 .....Matt Jones up until 2013 ish still 681 proto ..... another guy plays 680 and 690 loaded with lead tape , uses 10 finger grip i think ...cant remember his name.. ( scott piercy ?)

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I do .. i can post pics of them beside a Miura 57 blade ..HUGE difference in size... 681- 680 690 are not tiny irons

Please post an address pic comparing 681 and current 716 / 718 MB if you can. I'd appreciate it as I've owned both of those.

I don't have any reference for M57s, sorry.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Purchased a never hit set 2 years ago. They are fantastic blades and outclass all but 2 or 3 of the bakers' dozen I've hoe'd in the last several years.

In what way? How are you evaluating performance?

If they're better, they'd be in production would they not?

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

There is a set of the limited edition 680 irons in the local pro shop. It takes every single ounce of will power I have to walk out of the shop without them.

Meh...pass. I've had a set.

I much prefer the current 716 & 718 MB lines which look nearly identical and don't have minuscule mid- and long-irons. Why a player would ever want something smaller than a current-gen MB I don't know. Nobody on tour uses them.

Were the 681-era designs even intended for solid-core balls?

Apart from Adam Scott. It’s hard to see how much has changed apart from the number on the back. I can’t remember Titleist making a bad looking MB iron.

2003, so they were probably testing them with the Pro v1 at the time.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Please post an address pic comparing 681 and current 716 / 718 MB if you can. I'd appreciate it as I've owned both of those.

I don't have any reference for M57s, sorry.

if i can find a 716 or 718 i sure can.. going to blow your mind ..The pw for the 681 is a great deal bigger ...and the blade length up to 6 iron is a touch longer. i have a 680 3 iron as well.. the 681 is actually beefier than that too

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Maybe IF somebody comes up with a 790 type iron with a sharp leading edge and a sole that doesn’t bounce , so you can actuallly compress the ball I could see it. The biggest gripe I have with modern irons is that they all have such dull and wide soles. You cannot take a divot on anything short of wet ground. And no divot , equals no compression , which is less spin , which is less control. And that is counter productive.

What? A wider sole can only help it’s not gonna hurt a good ball striker. Buy the time any of what you said happens the ball is gone. Hit the ball in the middle of the face and you’ll have plenty of spin and control...a divot is inconsequential.

I know I'm a week late to this portion of the discussion, but I couldn't let it slide. If a wider sole could only help, then we'd all be using wide sole wedge grinds. Why aren't we? Because they work for some and not for others. Iron soles are no different. It's a huge misconception to think that the sole doesn't matter because the ball is already gone. I'll grant you it seems to make sense on paper if everything was equal, but everything is not equal.

If you give me two clubs that are very similar, one with a thin sole and sharp leading edge and another with a wider sole with some camber to raise the leading edge, I'm going to hit the thin sole so much better. My swing is built to take shallow divots (or simply brush the turf), so the thin soles and aggressive leading edges work best for me. Whenever I try to play a club with a wider sole and raised leading edge, I subconsciously adjust my impact conditions to account for the leading edge change. Essentially, I introduce a lot more forward shaft lean in order to lower that leading edge and this throws off my timing and face control, not to mention changing the trajectory of the shot.

I'm not advocating for one sole type over the other, but rather pointing out the you can't use a blanket statement that "A wider sole can only help it’s not gonna hurt a good ball striker". I have the same issue with the "bounce is your friend" arguments on modern wedge soles. There are a lot of us for whom a lower leading edge results in better performance, but they're tougher and tougher to find.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

The P730’s look the smallest blade around at the moment to me.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Purchased a never hit set 2 years ago. They are fantastic blades and outclass all but 2 or 3 of the bakers' dozen I've hoe'd in the last several years.

They should be.

They are on the longer side in distance (7 yards on avg) and tighter on the accuracy and perform maneuvered shots with poise. Have only one other set that possesses all 3 at once and that is a Miura made Maruman from the 90's. Both clubs are tall faced w/ high and linear COG and both are flat out heavy and that's probably why they don't sell them. The long irons take some getting used to but they crank on flushed passes. the short and mids are deadly accurate. I'm carrying the Maruman's now in part to preserve the pristine 681's.

what is it about blades the bring out the evangelist in 95% of the people that use them on this forum?

Ironic. Blade users talk about how they like their sticks. The Cavity Crusaders are the ones looking to convert everyone to the "True Faith." LOL

... I think you know better than that. How many times have we read that hitting MB's is the only way to improve? That MB's are the only way to reach your potential? That everyone should try MB's? Physics tell us MB's are the hardest to hit consistently and are the least forgiving on mishits. I think it bears mentioning, there are a ton of MB players on tour that have more forgiving long irons in their bag basically reaping the best of both worlds that would think this "argument" just silly.

... That said, some high swing speed, high spin players may only be able to play MB's. I would never try to talk anyone out of MB's unless they asked for advice and were playing poorly with their MB's. And I have played with complete hacks using MB's that probably never hit the center once in a round of golf. Most people here repeat this mantra over and over again "play what makes you happy". You want to score the lowest? Play the most forgiving irons you can effectively play. You love the game and you feel there are many other reasons to play other than lowest score? Play whatever brings you the most joy. Even if that is 962B's.

Cracking me up with the 962b reference! I have a set (along with 962's) in the garage. Played them regularly up until last month! :)

isnt that like being the skinniest kid at fat camp?

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

Maybe IF somebody comes up with a 790 type iron with a sharp leading edge and a sole that doesn’t bounce , so you can actuallly compress the ball I could see it. The biggest gripe I have with modern irons is that they all have such dull and wide soles. You cannot take a divot on anything short of wet ground. And no divot , equals no compression , which is less spin , which is less control. And that is counter productive.

What? A wider sole can only help it’s not gonna hurt a good ball striker. Buy the time any of what you said happens the ball is gone. Hit the ball in the middle of the face and you’ll have plenty of spin and control...a divot is inconsequential.

I know I'm a week late to this portion of the discussion, but I couldn't let it slide. If a wider sole could only help, then we'd all be using wide sole wedge grinds. Why aren't we? Because they work for some and not for others. Iron soles are no different. It's a huge misconception to think that the sole doesn't matter because the ball is already gone. I'll grant you it seems to make sense on paper if everything was equal, but everything is not equal.

If you give me two clubs that are very similar, one with a thin sole and sharp leading edge and another with a wider sole with some camber to raise the leading edge, I'm going to hit the thin sole so much better. My swing is built to take shallow divots (or simply brush the turf), so the thin soles and aggressive leading edges work best for me. Whenever I try to play a club with a wider sole and raised leading edge, I subconsciously adjust my impact conditions to account for the leading edge change. Essentially, I introduce a lot more forward shaft lean in order to lower that leading edge and this throws off my timing and face control, not to mention changing the trajectory of the shot.

I'm not advocating for one sole type over the other, but rather pointing out the you can't use a blanket statement that "A wider sole can only help it’s not gonna hurt a good ball striker". I have the same issue with the "bounce is your friend" arguments on modern wedge soles. There are a lot of us for whom a lower leading edge results in better performance, but they're tougher and tougher to find.

Yep. Same as the guy who prefers a wide sole. Give him a thin sharp one and he will claim it “ digs too much “. Well why does it matter if the ball is already gone ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

They should be.

They are on the longer side in distance (7 yards on avg) and tighter on the accuracy and perform maneuvered shots with poise. Have only one other set that possesses all 3 at once and that is a Miura made Maruman from the 90's. Both clubs are tall faced w/ high and linear COG and both are flat out heavy and that's probably why they don't sell them. The long irons take some getting used to but they crank on flushed passes. the short and mids are deadly accurate. I'm carrying the Maruman's now in part to preserve the pristine 681's.

Yep. To this day my 681 6 iron has posted the fastest ball speed without a spring face of any iron I’ve hit on trackman.(6 irons ) They simply pound the ball if hit on the center. And just don’t lose much at all towards the toe. Now if you miss on the edge of the grooves. Sure. But what will help that? There’s more to cog placement than people know. And not every iron has it in the right place. No matter how similar they look.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Duval should dust his off

Absolutely agree.

And that's all I was saying. That I'd prefer they made a modern tech iron with a sole that I preferred. Afterall , if it doesn't matter , then why not make one with a sharp leading edge ? Lol

I thought I was pretty well on topic unless I misunderstood the OP.

IMO - OEM's are not likely to make any more MB or new tech player heads but with sharp leading edges and or narrow-flat soles and zero camber. The majority of golfers want all sorts of forgiveness. I suspect most golfers even good amateurs are diggers so want associated forgiveness. Diggers with sharp leading edges will dig and not come up for air.

I went from Rsi TP irons with more offset, progressively more full soles with blunt leading edges to 716CB's to get the same Titleist MB specs; less offset, narrow, somewhat flat-sole and more of a sharp leading edge, because those specs work better for me. I kept the RsiTP irons for a year. Sure I could have stuck with them, as I wasn't losing strokes because of them but why? I don't need to play what I don't feel comfortable playing. :beach:

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I'm surprised more OEMs aren't producing forged CBs and blades with no offset. With modern design and tungsten weighting, you could create a no offset forging that is very forgiving.

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

Blades started dying-off the day Ping introduced the Eye 2's. The Eye 2's opened up the game to folks who hated hitting impossible blades, unless one had 8 hours per day, 7 days per week to practice. But that's not the weekend golfer.

I played MacGregor MT's and thought the Eye 2's were a miracle. Today's forged CBs are killer clubs...all of them...there's no junk IMO. I can't imagine a weekend golfer who has limited time to play and practice.....hamstringing themselves with MBs that assuredly are the most unforgiving clubs one can play. I don't get the point unless you like the look...which I can 100% agree MB's are by far the best looking irons hands down....I just wish looks translated to score.

I'm surprised more OEMs aren't producing forged CBs and blades with no offset. With modern design and tungsten weighting, you could create a no offset forging that is very forgiving.

Because offset is beneficial to the majority of golfers. The market share for clubs with very little offset is very small. So making design changes to the clubs to an already small market share, to yet divide that share into 2 even smaller groups has no profit in it for the OEM's.

The reality is that there is potential to advance blade technology further by finding new forging processes or new material combinations. But since blades are such a small market share, no OEM wants to spend a lot on R&D for that segment.

The biggest gain of improvement and GI for MB's has been the ball..Much easier for Joe Duffer to use traditional irons with solid core Pro V type over 3 piece balata. Even late gen 3 piece (Titleist Professional) made it easier.The gain is more pronounced on blades because CB already attenuated unwanted spin. This topic is discussed like were still hitting Tour 100's or Top-Flite distance balls.

The wording of the topic of this thread is VERY SNEAKY (well done!) to get all the +20 cap blade guys going berserk defending how blades make them a better player.

Well I have a thin miss and my ob shots only travel 5 yards past the stakes instead of 10.

Yes, but you "learned" a valuable lesson on "not" hitting the shot 10 yards more OB.

The wording of the topic of this thread is VERY SNEAKY (well done!) to get all the +20 cap blade guys going berserk defending how blades make them a better player.

Well I have a thin miss and my ob shots only travel 5 yards past the stakes instead of 10.

Yes, but you "learned" a valuable lesson on "not" hitting the shot 10 yards more OB.

It’s a process. They have to make me better.

It’s a process. They have to make me better.

They will...tell them bed time stories...take them to dinner, etc. Lol.

I hope there will continue to be a market for blades - I love my 945s, and don't find them any better or worse than the MCs I was playing before. In fact my misses are worse, which often mean I don't end up in green side hazards....

I suspect however that manufacturers driven by lower sales and tighter margins may stop offering blades apart from as premium offerings for asian driving range queens and the odd traditionalists such that exist on this fora, as well as some pros.

I think it would be a sad loss - it's like comparing a vintage Steinway to a Xylophone...

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Well, after 8 demo sessions to find the right shafts and launch conditions; I ordered my Mizuno MP 18 (3-PW)

Honestly, there’s just so many positives:

1. Looks great, timeless

2. Feels superb

3. So precise and consistent

4. Satisfactory launch conditions of 17.6* avg launch angle, 6358 average backspin and a 4 yard average miss to the left over a 3 hour hitting session. Under normal playing conditions, the ball would die off and cross the target line.

5. Performs well; can cut it, flight it, draw it, up-shoot it, choke up and choke down for yardage control; does everything on command.

6. Chips and pitches are so accurate

7. The right shaft not only maximizes my potential, but my stamina improved also.

Drawbacks:

1. Not sure what to do with my 900 Tours?