ddetts' Swing Journey - 2020 Goals & Updated Swing Progress pg. 17

ddetts

Your indoor pic of your set up is not replicated when you go to hit balls (face on view) with your 8 iron. Add a bit of secondary tilt to match what you look like in the indoor picture. Also, not sure what Monte recommended, but from down the line it looks like your hands are a little bit high at setup. Try lowering a hair.

Your indoor pic of your set up is not replicated when you go to hit balls (face on view) with your 8 iron. Add a bit of secondary tilt to match what you look like in the indoor picture. Also, not sure what Monte recommended, but from down the line it looks like your hands are a little bit high at setup. Try lowering a hair.

Thanks, and yes I agree with you on the setup. It's the whole feel vs real again. When I can check it in a mirror I can replicate it, but I have found on the range that even when I feel like my hands are really far forward and I am tilting really far that in reality it isn't that extreme and probably not even where it should be.

Handle could be a little high...

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Thanks, and yes I agree with you on the setup. It's the whole feel vs real again. When I can check it in a mirror I can replicate it, but I have found on the range that even when I feel like my hands are really far forward and I am tilting really far that in reality it isn't that extreme and probably not even where it should be.

I see you used to live in Fargo -- maybe you're familiar with the name John Dahl, may have retired now, but instructor out at Oxbow. Top 100 in the country and coach to Tom Hoge on tour. He is a huge advocate of hitting range balls with a mirror behind and in front to always be checking grip and setup. If you can hit foam balls or into a net in your backyard, could be something to consider, since bringing a big mirror to the range might be a stretch haha.

I see you used to live in Fargo -- maybe you're familiar with the name John Dahl, may have retired now, but instructor out at Oxbow. Top 100 in the country and coach to Tom Hoge on tour. He is a huge advocate of hitting range balls with a mirror behind and in front to always be checking grip and setup. If you can hit foam balls or into a net in your backyard, could be something to consider, since bringing a big mirror to the range might be a stretch haha.

Yeah, the range I got to doesn't have a mirror. At home, in my basement I make a lot of practice swings where I can see my reflection to check. So I'm trying to do a lot of that to get the feel ingrained.

I lived in Fargo for about 7 years between college (NDSU grad) and my first couple jobs before moving to Sioux Falls for my wife. I know of John Dahl (is/was also Amy Anderson-Olson's coach) and my frequent playing partner (former NDSU men's team golfer and a frequent contender in local tournaments up there) from when I lived in Fargo also took lessons from John back in the day.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Taking an educated guess that he is going to tell you that you need more secondary tilt at address, and that you need to set the left wrist (hitchhiker move) much sooner.

Then again, I am hack so wait till he chimes in.

I hadn’t heard of this hitchhiker drill before. Are these the drill:

Explained differently so wasn’t completely sure.

Taking an educated guess that he is going to tell you that you need more secondary tilt at address, and that you need to set the left wrist (hitchhiker move) much sooner.

These appear to be what secondary is talking about, I wasn't familiar with the drill before he mentioned it either.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

7/25/18 Update

I didn't get out of work as early as I wanted, so I didn't get to grab swing videos on the range before my match play league started. Won my match 1-up even with two bad holes.

• 4th hole of the match - 440y par 4 into the wind - Hooked tee shot that just stayed short of going into water. 192y over trees & into the wind to a pin in the back left of the green and my stand is a little awkward, so what do I do? Of course I grab 4i because I'm so good that's a shot I should go for... Hit the trees and still had about 30 yards and no shot except running it along the ground through mostly rough and little green. So I took a double there.
    • What I should have done, was grabbed my 8 or 7 iron and laid up to the open area short of the green to leave myself a 40-50 yard pitch and a chance at par and limited damage to bogey

[*]8th hole of the match - 330y par 4 - Hooked 2i and ended up behind some trees in the rough. 135y flag and 142y back of green again in to the wind and with trouble long. To hit a full shot I have to aim 15-20 yards left of green and play a big fade, so of course I grab 8i, open the face and try to play the hero shot. Ball comes out like a rocket, fades about 2-3 yards and flies into the junk long. Lost ball penalty and subsequently make double.

• Again, should have punched out and left myself with about a ~70y pitch and a chance at par...

Hindsight, gotta love it.

Between Tuesday's 18 hole round and last night's 9 hole match I've realized a couple of things:

1. I need to learn how to score. In those 27 holes I probably had 8-9 birdie putts from 15ft or less and made none of them. It's like the last few years I've been fighting so hard and playing to avoid anything worse than a bogey that mentally my brain says ok, you can two putt this for par and that's great. I do feel like I am rolling putts better since switching putters less than a week ago, so maybe it's just practice and time with the new flatstick.
  2. I need to remember I'm not a pro-level ball striker and take my medicine vs trying the low % hero shot. In my stroke play rounds I am pretty good at this and taking out the big number and perhaps it's just the nature of match play that brings out the risk taking in me. But even in match play, going for a hero shot and then failing sort of takes a little confidence out of you so not great for the rest of the round.

All in all, I hit 4 great drives and a number of really solid iron shots. It's only when my flip move creeps back into the swing that I am really getting into trouble. Shot +6 for the round.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I just wanted to pass along a plug for this awesome product (I have no financial interest/benefit in this company). I struggled to record my swing as I didn't have a good setup and didn't want to ask randoms to record it for me. I would occasionally get my playing partner to record, but those didn't always come out well as far as distance and angle. It's by Selfie Golf and makes it super easy to get your phone setup at a good angle and height. It came with a couple of different size clips, so you can attach to an alignment stick/rod or the larger one will fit on smaller end of shafts.

https://www.amazon.com/SelfieGolf-Record-Golf-Swing-Accessories/dp/B01N9I8GMC/ref=sr_1_1?m=A1DVZ5I1XP4I98&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1532626220&sr=1-1

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

7/25/18 Update

I didn't get out of work as early as I wanted, so I didn't get to grab swing videos on the range before my match play league started. Won my match 1-up even with two bad holes.

• 4th hole of the match - 440y par 4 into the wind - Hooked tee shot that just stayed short of going into water. 192y over trees & into the wind to a pin in the back left of the green and my stand is a little awkward, so what do I do? Of course I grab 4i because I'm so good that's a shot I should go for... Hit the trees and still had about 30 yards and no shot except running it along the ground through mostly rough and little green. So I took a double there.
    • What I should have done, was grabbed my 8 or 7 iron and laid up to the open area short of the green to leave myself a 40-50 yard pitch and a chance at par and limited damage to bogey

[*]8th hole of the match - 330y par 4 - Hooked 2i and ended up behind some trees in the rough. 135y flag and 142y back of green again in to the wind and with trouble long. To hit a full shot I have to aim 15-20 yards left of green and play a big fade, so of course I grab 8i, open the face and try to play the hero shot. Ball comes out like a rocket, fades about 2-3 yards and flies into the junk long. Lost ball penalty and subsequently make double.

• Again, should have punched out and left myself with about a ~70y pitch and a chance at par...

Hindsight, gotta love it.

Between Tuesday's 18 hole round and last night's 9 hole match I've realized a couple of things:

1. I need to learn how to score. In those 27 holes I probably had 8-9 birdie putts from 15ft or less and made none of them. It's like the last few years I've been fighting so hard and playing to avoid anything worse than a bogey that mentally my brain says ok, you can two putt this for par and that's great. I do feel like I am rolling putts better since switching putters less than a week ago, so maybe it's just practice and time with the new flatstick.
  2. I need to remember I'm not a pro-level ball striker and take my medicine vs trying the low % hero shot. In my stroke play rounds I am pretty good at this and taking out the big number and perhaps it's just the nature of match play that brings out the risk taking in me. But even in match play, going for a hero shot and then failing sort of takes a little confidence out of you so not great for the rest of the round.

All in all, I hit 4 great drives and a number of really solid iron shots. It's only when my flip move creeps back into the swing that I am really getting into trouble. Shot +6 for the round.

Congrats on winning your match!

I feel you on hindsight after hitting dumb shots; I hit dumb shots all the time. The hero shots are fun to try because if you pull it off and hit the shot its pretty awesome but I get myself in a lot of trouble that way.

Keep up the good work!

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Well it's for real now - I'm anxious, excited and nervous all at once! I've never played anything more than an 18 hole championship at a couple of clubs, so a 3-day stroke play event is going to be a big step for me. That said it's got me thinking about a few things I really won't have experienced before

Physical fitness/fatigue: I don't think it will be too physically taxing on me as I have been playing a fair amount this year and walked all of my rounds. I expect to be a little tired by round 3 but hopefully with managing nutrition and rest well enough it won't impact my game.

Rules: I play to the rules, but admittedly I probably don't know them as well as I should - things like differences in yellow/red hazards, how many club lengths, etc. Will they have a rules guide or should I go out and brush up on some of the more common rules I might encounter (hazards, lost ball, unplayable lie, etc)? Any suggestions for a good rules briefing/summary without reading the actual book?

Expectations/Goals: I've got to set realistic goals and expectations of myself. I'm working on swing changes, so I've got to expect I'm going to hit a couple poor shots when the old swing habits show up. Also, it's by far the biggest tournament I've entered and the first multi-day tournament I've played. I'll be grinding over more putts than I ever have and I imagine I'll be nervous to start.

I would welcome any insight, suggestions or tips anyone has to get ready for tournament play. Thanks!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Well it's for real now - I'm anxious, excited and nervous all at once! I've never played anything more than an 18 hole championship at a couple of clubs, so a 3-day stroke play event is going to be a big step for me. That said it's got me thinking about a few things I really won't have experienced before

Physical fitness/fatigue: I don't think it will be too physically taxing on me as I have been playing a fair amount this year and walked all of my rounds. I expect to be a little tired by round 3 but hopefully with managing nutrition and rest well enough it won't impact my game.

Rules: I play to the rules, but admittedly I probably don't know them as well as I should - things like differences in yellow/red hazards, how many club lengths, etc. Will they have a rules guide or should I go out and brush up on some of the more common rules I might encounter (hazards, lost ball, unplayable lie, etc)? Any suggestions for a good rules briefing/summary without reading the actual book?

Expectations/Goals: I've got to set realistic goals and expectations of myself. I'm working on swing changes, so I've got to expect I'm going to hit a couple poor shots when the old swing habits show up. Also, it's by far the biggest tournament I've entered and the first multi-day tournament I've played. I'll be grinding over more putts than I ever have and I imagine I'll be nervous to start.

I would welcome any insight, suggestions or tips anyone has to get ready for tournament play. Thanks!

I'll leave some out but take a look at QMany's thread, DaveD, stuff from Obee, Richard, etc. Lots of gold in those as far as tournaments/mental game in particular from guys who have been there and gotten it done.

Obviously, hoping folks chime in with ideas.

Good luck.

On the rules, I've always had a small rules book in the bag. Sounds silly, and I don't know what they do in SD, but back in the day when my oldest was in HS golf, the girls association used to put out for the players and coaches a summary of most commonly encountered rules situations that was pretty handy (don't think they do anymore, but I haven't looked for several years). I suppose you'll want to check any conditions of competition/local rules whatever as part of getting ready - but maybe some SDers will have some insight into that, I would guess Ryan for sure, but he's probably jet lagged. ;-)

I'll leave some out but take a look at QMany's thread, DaveD, stuff from Obee, Richard, etc. Lots of gold in those as far as tournaments/mental game in particular from guys who have been there and gotten it done.

Obviously, hoping folks chime in with ideas.

Good luck.

On the rules, I've always had a small rules book in the bag. Sounds silly, and I don't know what they do in SD, but back in the day when my oldest was in HS golf, the girls association used to put out for the players and coaches a summary of most commonly encountered rules situations that was pretty handy (don't think they do anymore, but I haven't looked for several years). I suppose you'll want to check any conditions of competition/local rules whatever as part of getting ready - but maybe some SDers will have some insight into that, I would guess Ryan for sure, but he's probably jet lagged. ;-)

Thanks, probably couldn't hurt to get a small rules book to keep in the bag. I'm pretty comfortable with the most common.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Never seen those two before, but the same idea, at least the first one.

Play well! I need to register when I get home. Nice to have it in town again this year.

As far as physically, they have snacks and bottled water on the first tee to take. You can take a cart if you want. Biggest thing for me is getting prepared for the pace of play. A few years ago I played behind the human rain delay. Took 6 hours to play the first two rounds. Thankfully he won’t be in the field but be prepared to be out there for a 5 1/2 hour round. Some guys think they are playing for a spot in the Masters. ?

Rules - make a note on your phone or print out a little sheet that has the yellow, red and free drop rules on them.

Expect to hit bad shots and accept them especially as you are working through changes. It will be a good 3 days to see where your game is compared to others and it will be obvious what you need to work on when you are finished.

Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Go out and enjoy it. Easier said than done!

Play well! I need to register when I get home. Nice to have it in town again this year.

As far as physically, they have snacks and bottled water on the first tee to take. You can take a cart if you want. Biggest thing for me is getting prepared for the pace of play. A few years ago I played behind the human rain delay. Took 6 hours to play the first two rounds. Thankfully he won't be in the field but be prepared to be out there for a 5 1/2 hour round. Some guys think they are playing for a spot in the Masters.

Rules - make a note on your phone or print out a little sheet that has the yellow, red and free drop rules on them.

Expect to hit bad shots and accept them especially as you are working through changes. It will be a good 3 days to see where your game is compared to others and it will be obvious what you need to work on when you are finished.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Go out and enjoy it. Easier said than done!

Thanks for the tips!

Now knowing that's how long the rounds will likely be, that will be an adjustment and a test of patience for me. I typically play fast and on days/times when I can get around in 3.5 hours or less.

Rules - I actually just discovered the USGA has a "Rules of Golf" app, so I'll probably just download that. Should've figured there'd be an app for it...

I think the biggest thing I've taken from your reply is that I really want to know how someone comes to get the nickname "the human rain delay"!

Goals:

• Shoot under 85 all three rounds, one round 82 or better
  • Maintain focus and keep routine on every single putt; no more than one 3-putt a round
    • I hate to even allow for three putts in a goal but I know the greens will be faster than anything I play all year, a course I haven't played (hoping to play a practice round) in a few years, and I switched putters 1 week ago.

[*]Do not compound any mistakes - take the big number out of play and play for easy bogey and hope to make some par saves

[*]2 double bogeys, and nothing worse

[*]Remember I'm a 9 handicap, plan and commit to shots I know I can hit and accept the outcome as long as I made a shot selection and committed to it

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I just wanted to pass along a plug for this awesome product (I have no financial interest/benefit in this company). I struggled to record my swing as I didn't have a good setup and didn't want to ask randoms to record it for me. I would occasionally get my playing partner to record, but those didn't always come out well as far as distance and angle. It's by Selfie Golf and makes it super easy to get your phone setup at a good angle and height. It came with a couple of different size clips, so you can attach to an alignment stick/rod or the larger one will fit on smaller end of shafts.

https://www.amazon.com/SelfieGolf-Record-Golf-Swing-Accessories/dp/B01N9I8GMC/ref=sr_1_1?m=A1DVZ5I1XP4I98&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1532626220&sr=1-1

I have one of these and love it. Convenience is worth the price alone. Only downside is you can’t record in landscape or horizontal mode.

Man, you've made a ton of progress in the last 2 months. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. I feel like I'm on a good path! I was really struggling at the beginning of the year shooting low to mid 90s. I thought I was getting better before the clinic with Monte, which I suppose technically I was scoring better, but I was just timing my flip better.

The stronger grip has been a hard change, and I still am fighting re-gripping after I've addressed the ball. However, when I get it right the quality of my strike is great and my swing feels really efficient. Hitting it farther with less effort.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

How's it been for you since the clinic? I was hoping I'd be able to sneak down to St Louis for the PGA but doesn't look like my schedule will allow it.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

How's it been for you since the clinic? I was hoping I'd be able to sneak down to St Louis for the PGA but doesn't look like my schedule will allow it.

It's had it's ups and downs...

My scores since getting back from the clinic: 88, 85, 86, 85, 80, 79, 93, 80, 94. El Hosel made an appearance for those two rounds in the 90's.

On two different occasions in my last round, I shanked my tee ball on a Par 3 OB - followed by sticking my 3rd to 8-10 feet and then making the putt for bogey. Happy with the saves, but frustrated that they keep popping up here and there.

Going to Chicago at the end of August for a guys trip and hope things get sorted out.

It's had it's ups and downs...

My scores since getting back from the clinic: 88, 85, 86, 85, 80, 79, 93, 80, 94. El Hosel made an appearance for those two rounds in the 90's.

On two different occasions in my last round, I shanked my tee ball on a Par 3 OB - followed by sticking my 3rd to 8-10 feet and then making the putt for bogey. Happy with the saves, but frustrated that they keep popping up here and there.

Going to Chicago at the end of August for a guys trip and hope things get sorted out.

I understand the struggle! I haven't had shanks, but my stall and flip has sent a few big hooks OB or into a lot of trouble!

Hope Chicago is a great time!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

My league partner reminded me today that our club championship is this coming weekend - I had been gone camping and totally spaced on it being so soon. They have changed the format to a two-day stroke play event. Last year it was just a single 18 holes (27 for championship flight). So hopefully this weekend will be a good prep for the Amateur Championship the following weekend.

I was hoping to get a practice round in at the course where the SDGA Amateur is, but that may not happen now with so much golf in the next weeks. Not necessarily because I don't want to golf that much but more so because my wife will probably already be unimpressed with the amount of golf I have scheduled in the coming two weeks...

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Got back to the range and did a little work tonight after a weekend away from golf. They say progress is slow, so can't expect anything too drastic. But I do see some improvement in shortening the backswing. Looks like my grip is still getting weak at times even when I feel like it's pretty strong. Camera angle on the face on isn't perfectly square on so I think that is contributing to it looking weaker that it really was.

• Still getting a flat shoulder turn, last week I felt like I was doing better with this
  • Not getting open at impact and still stalling and flipping
  • Backswing stopping at almost parallel

I'm getting a better ball flight and more distance on my good shots.

[media=]

[/media]

I feel like on my good swings I'm getting closer, and I'm hitting fewer bad shots. Would love to improve even just a little more before the Amateur Championship in two weeks! Onward and upward my friends!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

And a rip with driver just for fun

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I’m no instructor as you know but a few things I see:

Make sure your head and eyes aren’t looking at the club/hands in the takeaway. It looks to me like your head is following the clubhead and then looks back to the ball in the backswing.

An earlier and more vertical wrist set may benefit you in trying to shorten your swing.

Get your right elbow way more forward on the downswing. Hit low 80 yard 7 irons and get your elbow more forward.

I'm no instructor as you know but a few things I see:

Make sure your head and eyes aren't looking at the club/hands in the takeaway. It looks to me like your head is following the clubhead and then looks back to the ball in the backswing.

Wow, I never really noticed that I was turning my head/possibly following the club like that. I know that at times I can make a small shift back/away from the target as I start. almost like I straighten my legs slightly when I start the takeaway.

An earlier and more vertical wrist set may benefit you in trying to shorten your swing.

Get your right elbow way more forward on the downswing. Hit low 80 yard 7 irons and get your elbow more forward.

I have noticed in making practice swings that setting earlier does seem to help. I try to have the feeling that I am just pointing my thumbs up to avoid rolling and taking the club inside.

I am still struggling with getting the right elbow forward. I feel like I am getting it way forward, but clearly the video tells another story. I've got to see if I can find a cue or feeling that really helps me get it there.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Doing some practice swing work at home today during work breaks, before match play league tonight.

Really working on getting the right elbow forward while still trying shorten the backswing. I feel like this is a lot better looking impact position than any of the previous videos I have captured. Also, it would seem I'm actually capable of stopping my swing short of parallel and not having massive arm overrun. It sure seems easy to do when there isn't a golf ball in front of me.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Well, tonight was absolute garbage. Got blown out in my match 3 down. And my opponent played below his level too.

I don't think I had a single shot with good contact. A lot of hooks, and a lot of toe contact shots.

I need to find some amnesia and completely forget about the round tonight. Unfortunate, because I thought I was making some good progress in the right direction.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Well, tonight was absolute garbage. Got blown out in my match 3 down. And my opponent played below his level too.

I don't think I had a single shot with good contact. A lot of hooks, and a lot of toe contact shots.

I need to find some amnesia and completely forget about the round tonight. Unfortunate, because I thought I was making some good progress in the right direction.

Keep your head up.

One bad round under heavy pressure doesn't mean you arent making progress.

You go from understanding changes

To slo mo

To half swings

To full swings

To good range

To good casual on course

Finally to tourney rounds.

Pressure can cause reverting to old habits, can be very bad when old habits are mixing with new movements.

Onward and upward!

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...