Skycaddie SX500

Just got the email announcing the Skycaddie SX500. I ordered it and it will be interesting to see if it ships on time.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Seems pretty cool; reminds me of the GPS units on some of the nicer courses around SD. I am curious as to why you chose this as opposed to one of the GPS phone apps?

For me the phone stays in the bag in silent mode when I golf. Also the club I belong to has very limited cell service on most holes with no cell service on a couple holes. Plus there still is a place for a product that is dedicated to do one thing right vs. a product that has compromises because it has to do a lot of different things. To me it looks like a ruggedized android phone without the cell phone ability.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Seems pretty cool; reminds me of the GPS units on some of the nicer courses around SD. I am curious as to why you chose this as opposed to one of the GPS phone apps?

For me the phone stays in the bag in silent mode when I golf. Also the club I belong to has very limited cell service on most holes with no cell service on a couple holes. Plus there still is a place for a product that is dedicated to do one thing right vs. a product that has compromises because it has to do a lot of different things. To me it looks like a ruggedized android phone without the cell phone ability.

That makes perfect sense. I too am in the "no cellphone while golfing" camp but have been using a GPS watch (garmin x40) for the past year since it gives hazards. The catch is when I play a new course without GPS and without hole maps on the score card, it could be a bit confusing depending on the layout, trees, etc. This seems like it fits that need pretty well.

I'm going to preorder. I've been thinking of getting rid of all the tracking s*** and just go back to a gps unit that gives me distance. This looks like it will fit the bill. Of course it might not ship until 2020

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

Ordered!

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Ordered! Just got back from returning my Z80 to find the announcement email and loyalty discount in my inbox! It's like they knew what I was doing :taunt:

I'm very excited about this actually. One of the main reasons I was attracted to the Z80 was I was having trouble reading the yardages on the small screen of my Garmin G8. I would rather not wear glasses while playing, so having the GPS yardages living behind an adjustable viewfinder as in the Z80 solved the problem. Sadly there were issue with it that made me return it.

Looks like I'll be basking in the glory of a 5" 1080p SkyCaddie instead!! This totally caught me by surprise. I figured something like this would just not happen, with phones etc. It also seemed like the market in general was moving more towards simpler watches and smaller devices. I'm stoked SkyGolf has created this.

I'm going to preorder. I've been thinking of getting rid of all the tracking s*** and just go back to a gps unit that gives me distance. This looks like it will fit the bill. Of course it might not ship until 2020

Is skycaddie known for delayed shipping?

The release of the Touch was a disaster. It was delayed about 6 months from the original announced release date and the people that pre-ordered it early seemed to be last to get theirs over the people that pre-ordered it just before it actually shipped.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Ordered! Just got back from returning my Z80 to find the announcement email and loyalty discount in my inbox! It's like they knew what I was doing :taunt:

I'm very excited about this actually. One of the main reasons I was attracted to the Z80 was I was having trouble reading the yardages on the small screen of my Garmin G8. I would rather not wear glasses while playing, so having the GPS yardages living behind an adjustable viewfinder as in the Z80 solved the problem. Sadly there were issue with it that made me return it.

Looks like I'll be basking in the glory of a 5" 1080p SkyCaddie instead!! This totally caught me by surprise. I figured something like this would just not happen, with phones etc. It also seemed like the market in general was moving more towards simpler watches and smaller devices. I'm stoked SkyGolf has created this.

Same thoughts here. But at the same time Skycaddie needed to update the Touch. I would bet the prices of Android Wifi only devices got low enough to make it so they could price it right.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I purchased this too. There are a few reasons I bought it over using a phone app:

1. It saves the battery life on my phone.

2. I believe that the GPS chips and antenna in the SkyCaddie are more accurate than the GPS in my phone. I don't know this for sure, though - I've only read it.

3. I LOVE the RangeVue feature (the distance lines on the map and green). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have not seen another GPS or phone app that has this feature. Even SkyGolf's phone app doesn't have this feature.

Ordered because of the new features and benefits.

• The larger screen.
  • The longer battery life.
  • The ruggedized case.
  • Loyalty price in and Trade in program.

I hope they ship on time.

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: LTDx [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE; :cobra-small: RadSpeed Tour [17.5*], :kbs: TD;
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [21*], :kbs: TD PGI; :mizuno-small: Pro Fli Hi [4ui], :aerotech: Steelfiber HLS880;
  • Irons & Wedges: :KZG: CB-1 [5i - 9i], NovaTech BTR Lite; :mizuno-small: S23, :kbs: 610;
  • Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville One, :kbs: One Step, :garsen: Max;
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small:XS [22];
  • Notables: Best Grips MicroPerf; :cobra-small:-Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ with Alphard Club Booster V2

Interesting, but after the Touch fiasco, and the SGX fiasco, I'm once again sitting this one out until all the (inevitable) bugs are worked out.

When the Touch came out, I thought the screen was a bit too small, and the battery life barely good enough. I like the idea of a larger screen and battery, but I've gotten used to the Touch, and this thing seems massive.

I do like the new controls with pinch to zoom. Welcome to the 21st century, SkyGolf.

Hopefully they figured out how to implement a standards compliant WiFi stack. The SGXw was a joke, as it didn't accept valid SSID's. WTF.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I preordered one as well. I have the touch and wanted something with a bigger screen. I too am of the group that cell phone stays in bag. I just need them to start selling the cart mount or an updated cradle so I can use it attached to my clicgear.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

I have a Touch, and use one of these inexpensive plastic mounts on my ClicGear. 'Works great. I bet it'll work fine on the new SX500, too.

71x1Ywwjc-L._SL1000_.jpg

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I preordered one as well. I have the touch and wanted something with a bigger screen. I too am of the group that cell phone stays in bag. I just need them to start selling the cart mount or an updated cradle so I can use it attached to my clicgear.
Perhaps this will work....

http://shop.skygolf.com/p-2428-sportx-tekgrip-clamp-mount.aspx

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Boy, you guys are brave. SG is notorious for delays and buggy software. 'No way I'm pulling the trigger until the kinks are worked out.

How much battery life?

Specs say 12 - 14 hours of continuous use.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Check out Caddie Buddy. I use their Skycaddie Touch mount and the laser pouch. Years ago when I first saw the mount for the Skycaddie I thought it would break very quickly. I was really wrong. It is sturdy and folds to fit in my bag. Next to the Skycaddie Touch, probably the oldest thing I have in my bag.

Callaway Chrome Soft

The limited info make it look like it may just be an Android device running the Android skycaddie app. It would need better than normal phone GPS otherwise would be easier to just use phone.

It looks like they added a large number of features that you cannot get with the SG Mobile app. The SG Mobile app is fine in an emergency but it lacks many of the features in the Touch. It looks like this is not a phone but a commercial device that has Wifi and GPS for industry specific apps.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Just saying. Read the spec sheet. Sounds like a phone with cameras GPS Bluetooth WiFi. 80 dollars of Chinese phone hardware with the GSM disabled and probably booting straight into a Linux variant. There is no mention of GPS hardware in the spec sheet.

I actually like the form factor of the touch. Would like the same size but thinner and faster. I am not sure I want a five inch phablet factor that doesn't easily fit in my pocket.

Still, if the reviews are good, maybe I will get one ?

They state on website: Multi-constellation navigation satellite capability

Here's a little info regarding multi-constellation. BTW, they also recommend turning on the device 5 minutes before teeing off.

Multi-Constellation

As described previously, a multi-constellation receiver can access signals from several constellations: GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou and Galileo for example. The use of other constellations in addition to GPS, results in there being a larger number of satellites in the field of view, which has the following benefits:

• Reduced signal acquisition time.
  • Improved position and time accuracy.
  • Reduction of problems caused by obstructions such as buildings and foliage.
  • Improved spatial distribution of visible satellites, resulting in improved dilution of precision.

When a receiver utilizes signals from a variety of constellations, redundancy is built into the solution. If a signal is blocked due to the working environment, there is a very high likelihood that the receiver can simply pick up a signal from another constellation—ensuring solution continuity. While extremely rare, if a GNSS system fails, there are other systems available.

To determine a position in GPS-only mode, a receiver must track a minimum of four satellites. In multi-constellation mode, the receiver must track five satellites, at least one of which must be from a satellite in the other constellation, so the receiver can determine the time offset between constellations.

Do you need to pay the $50 every year to use it? The eagle membership or whatever?

Yes, all SkyCaddies require an annual membership. That's been their business model since the original SG1.